My First Online Deck - Testing the waters...with Fire?

KajiMotomiya

When I first started this game, I went straight for a Fire Deck. And even since I started playing this when the TCG first came out, I BURNED like a wildfire; it was what I loved the most. Now that there's an Online game of this, I wanted to bring the deck I've been trying to build to here to test it out before I use it for real.

-----

Pokemon - 27

Cyndaquil x4 (HeartGold SoulSilver 61/123)

Noctowl x3 (HeartGold SoulSilver 8/123)

Hoothoot x3 (HeartGold SoulSilver 66/123)

Vulpix x3 (HeartGold SoulSilver 87/123)

Eevee x3 (HS Undaunted 48/90)

Tepig x3 (Black & White 16/114)

Ninetails x2 (HeartGold SoulSilver 7/123)

Quilava x2 (HeartGold SoulSilver 49/123)

Pignite x2 (Black & White 17/114)

Typhlosion Prime (HGSS09 Promo)

Emboar (Black & White 20/114)

Trainer - 5

Energy Retrieval x3 (Black & White 92/114)

Pokegear 3.0 x2 (HeartGold SoulSilver 96/123)

Supporter - 13

Cheren x4 (BW Emerging Powers 91/98)

Fisherman x3 (HeartGold SoulSilver 92/123)

Engineer's Adjustments x3 (HS Unleashed 75/95)

Pokemon Collector x2 (HeartGold SoulSilver 97/123)

Professor Elm's Training Method x2 (HeartGold Soul Silver 100/123)

Energy - 15

Fire Energy x15

-----

I'm going to assume that the boosters in the Online game are the same as the IRL Boosters. Very specific about which packs each card is from. But anyway, to the point: like my previous deck, my goal is to recycle and reuse Energies while working with what I have in the deck, thus the <20 number of Fire Energy. Cards that can bring them back instantly, like Fisherman and Energy Retrieval, play a key part in this, and the Pokegear helps bring Fisherman out quickly (though by luck). But I'm looking to see what can help me reuse Fisherman instead.

Any tips?

I definitely like your general strategy; Fire is definitely a strong type in the current format. However, your deck seems somewhat unfocused with so many Pokemon in it. You should probably focus on only two or three evolution lines.

As said, you have too many Pokemon. Go for 11-13 Basics is my personal recommendation: that's what gives me the most success (as you can guess, I usually go for 12). My recommendation is (no quantity means the previous mentioned quantity), taking only cards from your deck or from the free decks:

3x HootHoot - Noctowl: nice draw support, and the only thing in your deck (besides Eevee) that isn't weak vs Water

4x Cyndaquil - Quilava - Typhlosion (you should have 3 non-Primes): what you're doing, just 1 single stage-2 Pokemon, is just terrible (only acceptable when you care about the Stage-1, and the Stage-2 is "just in case". But that's not the case here, Quilava isn't anything special). Regular Typhlosion is acceptable, so go for it.

3x Vulpix - 2x Ninetales: It's a decent fast attacker, and it allows you to grab energies for Typhlosion.

Try that first, it's indeed below what I usually recommend, but since I don't know what Basics you have. If it works out: great. If it doesn't work out: grab 1 or 2 Tyrogues. Is the HS Undaunted Eevee the Call for Family one? If so, you might like Stantler instead, as it grabs TWO Pokemon.

I'd also recommend to cut down Supporters to 10 because you can only use 1 per turn. I can definitely recommend swapping the Elms for Great Balls or Pokemon Communications (or Catchers, but they're always worth the spaces).

What if your Typlosion and Emboar are prized? You need to run a bit more. Additionally, this looks really slow to set up. Any speed deck can take you out quickly if you can't set up properly in time.

@Eric DLee & GR0:

Hm...that could work. When I threw in the Tepig line, I felt that it was a bit much, but I also felt that I needed to balance with Pokemon and Non-Pokemon cards. I'm not that good at building decks, but with enough research, I can draw up a general concept to construct one to start me off.

So from this, I'm looking at replacing [3x Tepig - 2x Pignite - 1x Emboar] as well as, [ 3x Eevees - 2x Professor Elms - 1x Some Supporter Card] (total of 12 cards) for [2x Quilava - 3x Typhlosion Non-Prime - 3x Stantlers - 2x Great Balls or Pokemon Communications - 2x Whatever You suggest: Pokemon, Trainers, Energies, etc.]

My problem with Tyrogue, though, is the low HP count. It'd be easy to take it out right away if I fail to keep him asleep by the opponent's turn. Though it's good for stalling, it's also risky on giving the opponent a Prize. Maybe a Defender would be in order if that's the case...

But to clarify, the Parenthesis next to the Pokemon name state the pack and specific card and pack number they belong to, so searching it up on, say, Serebii or so can give you direct results as to which Pokemon card they are. That said, which Basic Pokemon would you have recommended? (@GR0, who mentioned about suggesting Basic Pokemon)

@StarWolfHD:

I learned that the hard way last night. Playing the Trainer Challenge, I realized that I had a string of bad cards as I was playing one match. The match went on for a while, we had a full bench, and I had 2 prizes left while he had 1. After that, I couldn't grab any energies and eventually lost.

What would you recommend to speed up this deck besides the extra Stage 2 (and don't worry about Emboar, it was a spur of the moment thing, and I'm not a big Emboar fan lol)?

--

Thank you for taking the time to review this and suggestions. I never expected this much criticism and initially thought that someone would not only put down my intention of the deck, but complete disassemble it and reassemble it with stuff that goes against what I preferred.

My question, though, is if I should stick to Energy Retrieval (adds two Energy from discard pile to hand) or switch to Energy Returner (shuffles four Energy from discard pile to deck)?

Edit: Would it also be bad to have two Prime cards, as well? Since this deck is supposed to mirror my IRL deck, and apparantly, I have just discovered that I have two Typhlosion Primes. So would having two Typhlosian Primes be acceptable in both IRL and TCGO deck?

You want to speed up a deck you just need to have 2 things really. A quick but powerful 1 stage evo pokemon to get at the start of a match. Even in the basic Lightning deck for instance Raichu's an example. Needs 2 energy for full attack and you get 3 of them. So combined with the decent high chance to draw add in Pokemon Collector and 4 Elms and you have a very high chance to get him out on the field very quickly. Then it deals 40 damage to the active and 20 to the bench. You can easy KO most basics and 2 shot most stage 1's all while messing with their bench and the whole time your building your big bad Pokemon. You need something effective like that you can get out quickly.

That and you need a lot of a 2nd stage pokemon. So to your Typhlosion question yes I'd add it. I'd personally add 2 regular as well. The key to a quick startup deck is to have lots of parts for certain Pokemon. So if you have 4x of cyndaquil, quilava, and typhlosion once again with Pokemon Collector and Elm you have a very high chance of drawing them very early.

Though sounds like you have a decent set of cards so I'd just look around with that kind of mindset and experiment.

Extra note: One Pokemon people don't think about for speeding up their deck is Togepi and Togetic. Think of it this way Togetic has 80 HP, use it as a sacrifice and thats 1 free card of whatever you want in your deck each turn and it only takes 1 energy to use. Unless your fighting a lightning deck they won't take you out that quick so you'll get at least 1-2 cards. Which once again lol along with Elm and Collector means your very likely to have a 2nd stage evo by then. Sometimes you have a funny situation of them sending out a Pokemon to tank while they build their bench if they do that then your set. Because they never planned on retreating him and the whole time you get everything you want easy. Add in a Togekiss just for the fun of it and you have a free full healing to all your pokemon.

Taking everyone's advice and considering the possibilities, this is the deck I've come up with:

--

Pokemon - 29

x4 Cyndaquil (HeartGold SoulSilver 61/123) - Quilava (HeartGold SoulSilver 49/123 and/or Call of Legends 49/95) - Typhlosion (HeartGold SoulSilver 32/123 and/or Call of Legends 35/95) and/or Prime (HeartGold SoulSilver 110/123 and/or HGSS09 Promo)

x3 Hoothoot(HeartGold SoulSilver 66/123) - Noctowl(HeartGold SoulSilver 8/123)

x3 Stantler (HS Unleashed 64/95)

x2 Vulpix (HeartGold SoulSilver 87/123 and/or Call of Legends 75/95) - Ninetails (HeartGold SoulSilver 7/123 and/or Call of Legends 17/95 and/or HS Unleashed 20/95)

x2 Lillipup (Black & White 81/114) - Herdier (Black & White 82/114)

Trainer - 6

x2 Energy Retrieval (Black & White 92/114)

x2 Pokemon Communication (HeartGold SoulSilver 98/123 and/or Black & White 99/114)

x1 Pokegear 3.0 (HeartGold SoulSilver 96/123)

x1 Great Ball (BW Emerging Powers 93/98)

Supporter - 10

x4 Cheren (BW Emerging Powers 91/98)

x3 Fisherman (HeartGold SoulSilver 92/123)

x2 Engineer's Adjustments(HS Unleashed 75/95)

x1 Pokemon Collector (HeartGold SoulSilver 97/123)

Energy - 15

Fire Energy x15

--

Besides some Pokemon changes, I tried to understand what StarWolfHD meant by "speed." It was then clarified by Josiah Fierce with his example of Raichu in the Basic Yellow deck. So I cut off the amount of Vulpix and Ninetails down to two to make way for a new Pokemon: Lilipup and Herdier. Lillipup's and Herdier's ability to draw cards are not the only ones that make them handy. Lillipup requires 2 Energy for Tackle, while Herdier requires 2 Energy for its draw move, Collect, which is the same effect as Cheren (Draw 3 cards.). Add a third energy by the next turn, and it can deal 50 damage in one attack, Bite. This is the solution I came up with for speed: a Stage 1 Pokemon that can quickly deal a great amount of damage in one go without losing anything. Because Collect is an attack, it's a sacrifice move that can help me hold out for as long as possible while searching for cards.

Now, I do have a question about one Pokemon: Girafig (HeartGold SoulSilver 64/123). 70 HP, two attacks: 2 Energy Psyshot for 20, and 1 Energy Show Off. The Show Off ability is what grabs me. "Search your deck for up to 2 basic Energy cards, show them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward." With this kind of ability and how much HP it has, would it be a good idea to use it as a "meat shield" to stock up on Energies? If yes, which Pokemon/card should it replace?

Whats Girafarigs retreat cost? I'm guessing low. If it's low you can experiment with it since it has 70 HP you could always let it gather for for a couple turns then retreat before it dies and test that out.

Archived