The "Spiky Shield" ability did took effect when defensive Pokemon didn't take damage

kingminer1998

My Chesnaught's "Spiky Shield" ability damaged my opponent's Mienfoo, despite the Mienfoo not doing any damage because they flipped a tails for the "Lunge" attack. The description for the "Spiky Shield" is, "If this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon and is damaged by an opponent's attack (even if this Pokemon is Knocked Out), put 3 damage counters on the Attacking Pokemon." (although the "e's" were accented). Because my Chesnaught took no damage, that ability shouldn't have activated.

Hello kingminer1998,

Thanks for the report! I've sent up the information you've given. If you experience this issue again, please get the game log from the match and send it in a ticket to the Support Team. It will greatly help with the investigation!

You can send a ticket by going to support.pokemon.com and clicking "Ask a Question".

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello kingminer1998,

Thanks for the report! I've sent up the information you've given. If you experience this issue again, please get the game log from the match and send it in a ticket to the Support Team. It will greatly help with the investigation!

You can send a ticket by going to support.pokemon.com and clicking "Ask a Question".

Thanks again!

I had the log, but I wasn't able to include it here.  Also, I just encountered another bug.  I had a "Luck Helmet" attached to a "Seedot", but I didn't get to draw the two cards promised even if the Pokemon is "Knocked Out".

(And just as a sidenote, there was a "Snorlax" that didn't benefit from being asleep, but was put to sleep by its only attack. It had an "Ability" that 'lets' you flip two coins instead of one between turns. That (I believe) forces you to flip twice, but since the thing also said that if you get any tails, the "Snorlax" stays asleep, your chances of waking up decrease by 25%. That "Ability" only acts to impede its own Pokemon. (I don't have the game log for this, but I'm sure you'll be able to find it if you look at the cards available.))

the snorlax you describe is not bugged, it's intended that way, it's a drawback to the nice stats.

Also helmets don't trigger off anything apart from attack damage, so confusion/energy-equip-damage/abilities/burn etc will not trigger it

• 3 weeks later...

the snorlax you describe is not bugged, it's intended that way, it's a drawback to the nice stats.

Also helmets don't trigger off anything apart from attack damage, so confusion/energy-equip-damage/abilities/burn etc will not trigger it

That's an understandable impediment for the "Snorlax", but it seems inaccurate and lazy to call it an "Ability". They shouldn't have came up with that title for the effects some Pokemon have.

I'm not sure if it was killed by an effect. The card says that if it is "damaged by an opponent's attack" the owner will draw two cards. If it had been "Poisoned", it would still have been damage done by an attack, as the 'poisoning' would have been caused directly by an attack (at least in some cases). Because of the sequence of events, the attack that causes the poison, also causes the damage done by the poison. Other people should be writing these cards.

That's an understandable impediment for the "Snorlax", but it seems inaccurate and lazy to call it an "Ability". They shouldn't have came up with that title for the effects some Pokemon have.

I'm not sure if it was killed by an effect. The card says that if it is "damaged by an opponent's attack" the owner will draw two cards. If it had been "Poisoned", it would still have been damage done by an attack, as the 'poisoning' would have been caused directly by an attack (at least in some cases). Because of the sequence of events, the attack that causes the poison, also causes the damage done by the poison. Other people should be writing these cards.

There's a reason they are called special conditions. While they (most of them) do damage, they do not trigger damage related effects (like Lucky Helmet or Druddigon's Rough Skin).

Archived