A deck building Challenge (free cards only)

TPCi_Warrax

Intersting. Josiah, I tried your setup earlier. Pretty solid. Even got someone to concede.

Played another with a similar fire/electric setup, and was pretty even.

I almost had him but I didn't happen to notice that I stalled for too long.

I just got a bit Togetic happy and ran out of cards. ;-;

--------------------

Here is something I tried, didn't go to well tho.

3-2-1 Blastoise

3-2-1 Kingdra

4-3 Flaffy

3-3 Raichu

3-2 Togetic

--

3 Interviewer’s questions

2 Professor Elm’s

2 Professor Oak’s

1 Pokeball

1 Switch

1 Engineer Adjustments

--

12 Water energy

8 Electric Energy

====

Basically, I was trying to go for a bench hitting gimmick, but I still need to work on that. I took 2 Interviewer's questions instead of 3 because Blastoise and Kingdra return energy to my hand, and Mareep can get as much energy as Mareep in the field. I have switch for personal preference. Was going against a water deck, but it wasn't basic. I think the person conceded, but I'm pretty sure he had the upper hand.

Thoughts?

---

Also, I got an idea while playing. Since I'd hit the bench, I wouldn't want to be going up against something powerful, so I would deff think a good idea would be a card that would switch the opponents active and benched pokemon. Another good card would be Seeker. (I think)

@Prof_Warrax, I'd love to see something like Rare Candy available, perhaps in the Grass deck because it deals with so many Stage 2 evos anyway.

Though I appreciate that once unlocked, the candies would just help make the Fire/Lightning deck everyone's building that little bit more broken, by allowing a potential turn-2 Typhlosion, and faster access to Togetic for emergency healing.

Did the original Blastoise get reprinted at any point recently? Because with it's Poke-Power, being able to speed up your game by playing more than one water energy would help bring the water decks back in line to be competitive.

Then you'd just need to find something to boost the Grass decks without accidentally boosting everything else. Leafeon sounds like fun to me, and maybe add Jolteon to the Electric deck, giving every free deck access to the two Eeveelutions of choice. This also allows players to do crazy things with the Eeveelutions that don't naturally fit in their deck (Vaporeon in a grass deck, to tank it up with her first attack and scare off Fire types)

One thing I noticed in this thread is that most of the lists have an absurded amount of energy (24?!?!)The most any

competetive deck plays right now is 15. (magneboar and maybe zpst) On the same note if you're playing an absured

amount of energy, you shouldn't also be playing an absured about of interviews and fisherman. (5 between the

two?!) Once again, of the competitive decks that use these cards, they usually won't run more then 2. (altho reshiboar

has been known to run 3 on occasion)

Two of the best cards to include for the starter decks would probably be Pokemon Communication and Rare Candy.

I recently raised my energy to 24. (took out the 1x Poke Ball to make room for the 24th) I could even tell from the tougher opponents I played that the trend is to run fewer but I figured this was largely due to those decks being built around low/efficient energy requirements as well as the massive utility granted by trainer cards. (and certain poke powers) So in a way they are like combo decks to me whereas mine is "normal". I am surprised if 24 is considered a lot and even blown away to know this. When Pokemon TCG first came out, I think it was normal for energy counts to be this high if not higher. Also in MtG, higher land counts are considered better, and compared to lands, energy is more fragile since it goes down with the Pokemon it's attached to, and you need multiple energy for all your Pokemon in play, so it always made sense to me that energy counts would be at least as high as land counts in MtG. Fine with me though, I am currently enjoying reaping the benefits of 24 energy!

Though it depends on the Pokemon you use, for instance fire Pokemon like Flareon and Typhlosion which discard energy, it's great having spare energy cards for those attacks. As opposed to Pokemon which only need X amount of energy and are set for life.

Hi Virtual0Slayer,

Thank you for posting this and your write up. This is really good stuff and its great to see people working with the free decks.

Something to think about for everyone working with te free decks - if you could only add 1 or 2 more cards, what would they be?

Prof_Warrax

Master of Chaos

I think a Rare Candy would be useful, and just adding 1 would not make any one deck stronger than another but would help them all. Maybe a collector or communication or any other card that will help get another pokemon of choice out into the game.

One other card I've thought of that would be a great help for trainers looking to branch into the dual-type decks: Energy Search.

In any dual (or more) deck they are invaluable, helping prevent that all-too-familiar situation in which you've got a Fire Pokemon on the board, need to get a Fire Energy to power up your attack and win the game, and you draw an Electric Energy instead!

It, and cards like it, would also allow players to "splash" other colours in their decks, usually in order to counter common weaknesses. I'm thinking of a Fire/Lightning deck with 4 Eevee, 2 Flareon, and 1 Leafeon with one Grass Energy to beat the various Water/Fighting types that are weak to Grass.

4 copies of Energy Search would all allow me to get that one energy if ever I needed it, in addition to helping ensure I get the right energy at the right time..

I threw this one together from the free cards without much planning. Mostly based on intuition based on 10 years ago when I played this :D 4-1 games so far, even won against some very nice looking lost zone mew deck (barely).

Pokemon

2x Growlite

1x Arcanine (usually my only hope)

3 Pikachu

2x Raichu

3x Rattata

2x Raticate (these guys are awesome)

3x Eevee

2x Flareon (I think I should replace them with something... at least they are better than Magmortar)

Trainers

2x Dual Ball

1x Energy Returner (for deck races? :D)

2x Full Heal

2x Plus Power

1x Poke Ball (don't laugh I'm really short on cards here)

2x Switch

Supporters

2x Bill (it feels weird to have so few but with the new 1 supporter / turn rule I guess it's ok)

3x Copycat

2x Engineer's Adjustment

2x Fisherman (synergies!)

2x Interviewers Question ( I haven't needed these often)

2x Elm's Training Method

2x Professor Oak's New Theory (yey)

Energy

13x Fire

5x Lightning

I think the most important thing with these limitations is maximizing the ability to set up what I have fast. I selected pokemon that have the ability to hit hard pretty hard in 2 turns and that can possibly nuke big guys fast.

I'd gladly pay 100 tokens for each double colorless energy and reliable search trainer/supporter though..

Raticate is amazing, I don't even bother running Raichu anymore but I recently noticed it has 0 retreat cost which makes me 2nd guess my decision not to run it. Plus maybe hitting things on the bench can make or break games. (unfortunately you're required to hit the Reshiram/Zekrom in front of you as well) If I add Raichu however that's a lot of room I'd have to make. (up to 7 cards) Not to mention they all have weakness to fighting.

-

with 4 Copycat, 4 Prof Elm Training Method, 2 Oak New Theory (and 2 Dual Ball) I don't even bother running Bill, but I consider it sometimes. Engineer Adjusments is a mess in my opinion, it seemed excellent at first but after trying it a few games I realized all the complications such as drawing EA with no energy, or not being able to play your last energy out of fear of topdecking an EA. Or worst of all, you play EA, and draw no energy! Interviewers Questions is a paradox, because to make room in the deck you take out energy, which makes it less effective.

-

EDIT:

ok, since I got enough cards finally where I will not be using this list anymore, I see no reason not to post it. I think it's a great list personally (using only free cards that is). Feel free to critique it and lmk if I included any non-free cards on accident.

3 Vulpix

3 Ratatta

4 Eevee

2 Growlithe

-

2 Flareon

2 Raticate

1 Ninetails

1 Arcanine

-

4 Copycat

2 Prof Oak New Theory

4 Prof Elm Training Method

4 Potion

2 Switch

2 Dual Ball

-

24 energy

Note: To be exact, this was my list for a while, with one exception. It had no Growlithe or Arcanine, but 2 Audino and 1 Thundurus, but those aren't included in the free cards obviously, so for this thread I just replaced them with the token 2 Growlithe and 1 Arcanine which seems more than sensible.

In hindsight it might also be good to try -2 energy, +2 Pluspower. (especially if you thnk 24 energy is too much)

• 2 weeks later...

I've unlocked the Basic Red, and Basic Blue thru the trainer challenge, and I've gotten 2 of the 12 unlocks for the Green so far - but I have not seen any Prof Oak's or Dual Ball cards yet. Are they unlocked in Basic Green?

p.s. my above decklist may not be as close to being the best free decklist as I thought. Truth is, when I wrote that I completely underrated the Mareep/Flaafy/Ampharos cycle.

That said, my current deck (not free) uses Ampharos but not Raticate and Ninetails.

Raticate is awesome though since nonbasic energy is common among players with powerful cards. And it seems logical that any budget/free deck should be geared toward hating better decks.

Maybe I should try to combine the three. (Raticate, Ampharos, and Ninetails) The ultimate free deck would probably use those three evolution chains.

So let's see:

3 Ratatta 2 Raticate

3 Vulpix 1 Ninetails

4 Mareep 2 Flaafy 2 Ampharos

(I like having 11-12 basic Pokemon in a deck so that still needs 1-2 more basic pokemon but I'm not sure what. 2 Growlithe, 1 Arcanine then?)

4 Copycat

2 Prof Oak New Theory

4 Prof Elm Training Method

4 Potion

2 Switch

2 Dual Ball

2 Pluspower (works well with Raticate)

22 energy

Other than that, maybe Arcanine should be Flareon, because that was always the superior card to me. (for most of the time I ran 2 Flareon and didn't run Arcanine at all) And one of the main damage dealers in the deck. But is 2 Eevee, 1 Flareon enough? Ideally would be 3 Eevee 2 Flareon? Or is it enough to have just Ampharos instead of Flareon as a damage dealer?

edit: oops! my list is 62 cards. So maybe 20 energy instead of 22. Or maybe cut pluspower. Not sure what to cut but I guess I'll cut some energy and see how it works.

My free card deck:

Pokemon:20

2-1 Arcanine

2-1 Ninetales

4-3-3 Typhlosion line

2-2 Raticate line

Items:9

2 X Dual Ball

1 X Energy Returner

2 X Pluspower

2 X Potion

2 X Switch

Supporters:12

4 X Copycat

2 X Enginners Adjustments

2 X Fisherman

2 X Elm

2 X Oak

Energy:

19 Fire

Interviewers Questions is a paradox, because to make room in the deck you take out energy, which makes it less effective.

-

I think you're looking at the card all wrong. By placing an IQ in your deck you are increasing your odds of drawing the pokemon or other trainer that you want. The more efficiently you manage your energy (and the fewer cards left in your deck) the better your odds of drawing one of your Stage 1's.

-

Another way to look at is like this. Each IQ you place in your deck IS 'x' number of energy cards. When you draw one and look at the top 8 cards of your deck (remember there's at least 8 cards accounted for by the beggining of your first turn) you would then know the location of nearly 1/4 of the cards in your deck. With those odds you're likely to gain at least one energy each time you play the card. Not only that but each time you use it that takes one card out of your deck and moves all of your pokemon closer to the top of the deck. This makes it so that the more you use the card the better the odds become of gaining even more energy each time.

-

The main reason why cards like Professor Oak are so good is because they move the odds a little more in your favor each time you use them by improving your chances of getting the card(s) you are hoping for.

2 Vulpix HS

1 Ninetales UL

2 Growlithe HS

1 Arcanine HS

4 Togepi UD

2 Togetic UD

4 Cyndaquil HS

3 Quilava HS

3 Typhlosion HS

4 Professor Elm's Training Method Supp

2 Professor Oak's New Theory Supp

4 Copycat Supp

2 Interviewer's Questions Supp

4 Engineer's Adjustments Supp

2 Fisherman Supp

2 Dual Ball Item

1 Burned Tower Stad

2 PlusPower Item

17 Fire Energy

... its great to see people working with the free decks.

Something to think about for everyone working with te free decks - if you could only add 1 or 2 more cards, what would they be?

Prof_Warrax

Master of Chaos

Options are as follows:

2 Twins. New players without hundreds of booster codes at their disposal might be on the losing side of many battles. Twins will get them what they need, when they need it. Might not be enough to turn things around, but they are useful.

Runner up: 2 Pokemon Collector or 2 Pokemon Communication. These things are 3-4 of in many competitive decks for a reason, their ability to get things going or found.

ok you know what. As I said before, I totally neglected Ampharos until after I started opening my first packs. So maybe now I am neglecting Typhlosion? All my free decks don't use Typhlosion. So to break the ice I decided to add it to my free deck.

But now I'm forced to ask questions. In every deck I use 4-2-2 Ampharos. But with Typhlosion you can actually go 4-3-3. But should you? My current list has both Ampharos and Typhlosion. So which of these is a better setup:

4-2-2 Ampharos

4-3-3 Typhlosion

-or-

4-3-2 Ampharos

4-3-2 Typhlosion

-

Because that last one actually kind of makes sense to me. Normally I think well that 1 extra Flaafy shouldn't make a difference and it's illogical to add it, and because I don't want flaafy, I want Ampharos. (flaafy is not so bad though and I'm starting to realize that a stage 1 is way better than being stuck with useless basics) But in this setup you basically have 6 stage 1 cards thus more substantially increasing your chances of evolving either Mareep or Cyndaquil. The only downside to this is that you can't use all five stage-2's in a single game, you're now limited to four, but how likely is it you'll need the fifth?

I made two lists today. (I made decklist#2 first, before adding to add Typhlosion, resulting in decklist#1)

___decklist 1:

4-3-2 Ampharos

4-3-2 Typhlosion

3-2 Raticate

19 energy

4 Copycat, 4 Elm, 2 Oak

4 Potion, 2 Switch, 2 Dual Ball

__decklist 2:

4-2-2 Ampharos

3-2 Raticate

3-2 Flareon

2-1 Ninetails

19 energy

4 Copycat, 4 Elm, 2 Oak

4 Potion, 2 Switch, 2 Dual Ball, 2 Pluspower

I've noticed that this works quite well as a draw engine in a fire-based free deck:

`

2 Professor Oak's New Theory

4 Professor Elm's Training Method

4 Engineer's Adjustments

4 Interviewer's Questions

`

Use with Burned Tower and ~18 energy.

The high energy count is there for Engineer discard. Think of it as having 4 less available for attacking with.

`

This is a stronger engine than using Bill:

1 IQ + 1 EA == 2 Bill + extra energy, taking the same number of turns.

`

Interviewer serves several purposes:

1. It thins out your deck, making you more likely to draw something useful (this makes Engineer better, too)

2. It fuels Engineer for draw the next turn

3. It reliably provides energy for Typhlosion and Flareon to burn freely

`

Can do -1 energy, +1 Energy Returner / Fisherman.

And of course, you need the staple Poke Ball and Dual Balls.

`

`

Regarding energy, remember that Flareon, Typhlosion, and Quilava can all use lightning as their discard fodder.

• 1 month later...

imho, only Fire & Lightning free decks offer any sort of consistency in terms of duplicate copies of main stage 1 & 2. decklists should be similar, mine included. as for welcome additions, rare candy & big finishers (preferably basic) are all that's needed for said decks to compete. of course, decent poke-powere is a plus.

Archived