A deck building Challenge (free cards only)

TPCi_Warrax

Hi folks,

I know we have some really talent deck builders out there in the community would could give me a hand with a little puzzle I am trying to solve. As you might have noticed we have had a bunch of new member to our community since we went to open beta with the TCG Online. Many of these players are using only the free decks from the Trainer Challenge and TCG Online, i.e. Basic yellow, Basic red, Basic green & Basic blue. I am trying work out some recommendation on decks to play based on using those cards.

Here is my first stab at it and I would appricriate any feedback or other thoughts on decks using those same cards.

I thought long and hard about using Water pokemon because so much Fire and Fightning cards are being played in the environment that are weak to Water e.g. Reshiram, Donphan. But in the end I decided to go with the Lightning and Fire pokemon because I think they are the strongest, but partly that is my play style.

Pokemon (24)

2-2-2 Ampharos

2-2-2 Typhlosion

2-2 Flareon

2-2 Raichu

2-2 Raticate

Trainers/Supporters (22)

2 Dual Ball

3 Engineer's Adjustments

2 Fisherman

3 Interviewer's Questions

2 PlusPower

1 Poke Ball

3 Potions

2 Professor Elm's

2 Professor Oak's

2 Switch

Energy (14)

8 Fire

6 Lightning

I look forward to getting your feedback and seeing what decks you would create with the free cards only

Prof_Warrax[/b]

Master of Chaos

I would get rid of pokeball, dualball, switch, plus power, potion

add 3x fire energy

add 3x lightning energy

get rid of 2 of the followng 3: Raticate, Raichu, and Flareon

add 2x mareep

add 2x cyndaquill

add 2x elms

add 1x engineer adjustments

I gave it a test, even though I can build actual deck (I much rather use my Colorless Cincinno deck ^^). It ran pretty badly: lots of mulligans due to only 10 Basics (hence I always go with 12) giving my opponent free cards, and lots of times I didn't have energy cards to use even after using draw cards. Also, it's pretty easy for the opponent to beat a Basic before you're able to evolve, and once that happens, good luck drawing that second one or have fun with an entirely useless Evo line! Hence I always go with 3 Basics (that can evolve) minimum (can be 3-3 or 4-4, but also 3-2. Or of course: 4-3, but that depends on the Basic)

Also, I'd say Raichu is one of the best cards starters can use: it attacks fast, deals lots of damage for its energy cost and it being only Stage 1, and can be retreated for free making it very flexible. A 3-3 line is a must when using Lightning. Water/Lightning could be pretty interesting too, combining Raichu with Vaporeon and Kingdra.

No idea about a decklist of my own though, never looked into it so any decklist I would give wouldn't be ideal.

You know what this is actually quite true. This is close to my starter deck I'll give you the basics of mine which I've even beat some legendary decks easy

4x Cyndaquil

3x Quilava

3x Typhlosion

4x Pikachu

3x Raichu

4x Togepi

2-3x Togetic (I don't remember how many you get to start)

1x Togekiss

*Insert some filler pokemon here

For me I used Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff but that kind of throws off the point of the deck.

Trainer Cards:

4x Professor Elms - A MUST have

2x Dual Balls - Also close to a must have

2x Professor Oak

2-4x Interviewers Question

I don't remember the rest off the top of my head I know the energy was like 13-15 Fire I think and 5-7 Lightning. The main point of Interviewers to net those 1 Element of choice you need for your skills easy. but basically

The point of the deck is to obviously quickly build Typhlosions while if you can get a Raichu out ASAP do that in the meantime. With 3x Typhlosions and the evo's of it you can easily draw at least 1-2 parts rather quickly. Then Togetic's 1 energy skill and Professor Elm can net you the other 2 very easily I've had Typhlosions ready in literally 2 turns before.

Why is Typhlosion such a good basic deck card?

Low energy cost - 2 energy for a 50 dmg skill, 3 energy for a 120 dmg skill, you discard 2 cards meaning you only need 1 energy to go back to dealing 50 dmg. Low retreat cost- 1 retreat cost even evolved. That and he has a ton of HP

Why is Raichu such a good basic deck card as a backup?

Raichu you only need to evolve once and you only need 2 energy to do an attack that does 40 damage and 20 to the bench. I constantly get Raichu's within the 2nd turn of a game easy. Then if you have one out it easily takes care of Basic pokemon they send out and messes up their evolved pokemon they're working on in the back. Raichu also has a 0 retreat cost meaning if he's hurt just send him back, I've actually switched between 2 raichu's before easy lol. That and you can even go for double KO's by obviously attacking their basic bench pokemon 2-3 times depending on what it is.

Why is Togetic a good overall basic card?

Think of it like this Togepi you need one energy and usually players give you the 2 cards so they can keep their basic pokemon tanking while they build their bench but with this deck which has such easy access to building Typhlosions thats a big mistake, and once you get a Togetic, thats an instant whatever card you want in your deck each turn until it's dead which means unless they have an evolved pokemon at the start you basically have both parts of your Typhlosion in one turn with Professor Elm.

Also with all the low retreat cost Pokemon if you get a Togekiss you can heal them all instantly. I've had 3 Typhlosions 2 being badly hurt then bam I insta healed them all.

There's other details but thats just the nitty gritty. Best combo I've used so far from a basic deck, people really underestimate Raichu. He even sets Typhlosion up to easy 1 hit KO even Zekroms.

Had a very similar deck to Josiah above^ before I started getting packs. It works really great and its probably the only way to go with the starters. Jigglypuff making opponent sleep did saved me a couple of times xD

Nice deck Josiah.

Here is my take on it. Played a few games and it seems pretty solid.

28 Pokemon

4-3-3 Typhlosion

4-3 Raichu

4-2-1 Togekiss

2-2 Raticate

11 Trainers

2 Dual Ball

3 Interviewer's Question

4 Professor Elm's

2 Professor Oak's

21 Energy

14 Fire

7 Lightning

I decided to go with the Raticate Line because I think the Razor-Sharp Incisors can be a good finishing move when you have already put a hurt on the defending pokemon and Gnaw Up because there is a lot of special energy running around. Plus I like that Raticate has a zero retreat cost.

I look forward to see other people thoughts and takes on free decks!

Prof_Warrax

Master of Chaos

True Raticates retreat cost does go well. Would probably be a nice way to finish it up with the free cards you get. lol Kinda hope I see some people starting to use this deck when I do random matches, it would be funny seeing it.

"Heeey.... wait a minute.... this is awfully familiar..."

Hey Warrax - here is what I built and have tested a few times. It works great but wow do you go through the cards pretty fast.

Pokemon

4-3-3 Typhlosion

3-2 Raichu

1-1 Ninetails

2-2 Raticate

Trainers

2 Duel Balls

1 Poke Ball

2 Plus Powers

2 Switch

2 Copy Cats

4 Engineers

2 Fishermen

2 Interviewers

4 Professor Elms

2 Professor Oaks

Energy

12 Fire

4 Electric

I actually enjoyed working on and playing this deck. Ninetails is the key to this deck working well, thus the switches to ensure you can keep it longer. But if it can help set up 1 or 2 typhlosions, then well worth it! There is a small lack of basics, but it hasn't been a problem just yet!

If you complete the trainer chellenge by defeating all 12 opponents with each deck (Basic Blue, Basic Red, Basic Green) you can unlock them in the online game! Just go to collectionand at the top of the game, you should see Cards - Packs. Select Packs and you should see Basic Yellow to use as well, for free!

I use that togekiss raichu typhlosion set-up, except I stuck a 3-3-2 ampharos in there. I use acceleration bolt to charge up Typhlosion or whoever else needs energy., and thunder can one shot any water pokemon you run into.

It's worked well for me so far, beat a guy with a thundurus and virizion in his deck, and stalled on a water deck with a lot of powerful paid cards until my time expired. I kept using togekiss to heal lol, and by the time I noticed the timer It was too late to really fully play out the hand. Was probably going to lose that match anyway.

Any suggestions on water or grass type decks? I'm using Ampharos again in combination with Blastoise/Feraligatr deck, it's done ok so far. Almost beat a Reshiram/Emboar deck(with a Zekrom tossed in that he played on the first turn), but I'm a noob and didn't know about emboar's ability+flare blitz combo. Had him down to one prize before he decimated me with that Had I known about it I would've been using my vaporeon to snipe his tepig's on the bench. when he evolved one I just left it alone thinking it'd be easier to kill his other pokemon, lol. My mistake.

I haven't had as much luck for as good of a deck with Water or Grass sadly. Mainly because those decks either A) cost too much energy for too little damage compared to Typhlosion, B) Typhlosions the only one you get 3 of in the starter decks I believe of those starter 2nd stage pokemon and C) most of them have higher retreat costs.

I usually just mix in Togetic and Elm with them as well, use Metapod for Grass to get rid of a weakness and hope for the best lol. Doesn't have as much control though it feels like.

If you complete the trainer chellenge by defeating all 12 opponents with each deck (Basic Blue, Basic Red, Basic Green) you can unlock them in the online game! Just go to collectionand at the top of the game, you should see Cards - Packs. Select Packs and you should see Basic Yellow to use as well, for free!

There needs to be a way to get this out there to new players, we get like 10 people in trading chatroom everyday asking about how to get into online battles, and the reason they can't is because they all don't know how to get the free decks OPENED.

Profs, get on this ASAP.

This deck used to have 4-2-1 Kingdra and a Copycat, but I was getting wrecked by electric types.

Gatr is usually up in 4 turns as I almost always get a Togetic out asap to start searching. People make the mistake of taking their time setting up instead of attacking Togetic and by the time they start attacking my Gatr is ready to dish out some heavy dmg. Seeing as how I only have 1 Gatr I generally amass Vappy/Raichu until I can ensure I have a Togekiss. If I have Togekiss I'll retreat Gatr no matter the cost to heal him up.

Pokemon (29)

4-3-1 Feraligatr

4-2-1 Togekiss

4-3 Vaporeon

4-3 Raichu

Trainers/Supporters (11)

2 Dual Ball

3 Interviewer's Questions

4 Professor Elm's

2 Professor Oak's

Energy (20)

5 Lightning

15 Water

Lemme know what you guys think and criticism/help is always welcome :D

Fellow basic deck builders i greet you!

Having unlocked the 4 basic decks i naturally went to make my own :D

So i made 3 decks : Fire/lightning, grass/water, and a semi serious colorless because i can :)

Now to explain...

I liked the yellow low energy cost and kinda fast evolving pokemon and i liked the decent damage output of the red so i combined them.

Also reworked the trainers

FIRE/LIGHTNING

Pokemon(29)

2-1 Arcanine

3-3-2 Typhlosion

3-3-2 Ampharos

3-2 Raichu

3-2 Flareon

Trainers/Supporters(10)

2 Potions

2 Fishermen

2 Interviewer's Questions

2 Prof. Elm's

2 Prof. Oak's

Energy(21)

14 Fire

7 Lightning

As u can see Typhlosion and Ampharos are the dmg doers, Raichu,Flareon and Arcanine mid dmg mid hp 1 evolution pokemon.

Raichu all the Ampharos evolution line and Flareon can deal dmg with just 1 energy card and in most cases its not defined.

Typhlosion, Arcanine and Raichu can deal decent dmg with 2 energy.

And pretty much all with 3/4 Nuke.

As i said low energy costs, quick to evolve, most have only stage 1, decend hp, only Pikachu,Evee,Mareep risky till they evolve.

As for the trainers and pokemon also i tried to get rid of the luck of the coin approach

Only Pikachu has such an attack but hes only there for the Raichu.

Don't know about you but i don't usually get lucky during coin tosses and have survived some nasty things because my opponent didn't either(must have felt really bad)

Example: Double ball

It goes from really good to really bad, you either get 2 pokemon that you want, the middle ground 1, or none. I find that to unstable to base my play on just as attacks like flip 4 coins each heads does 30 dmg > potentially big dmg or nothing...

So i went as sure as possible. You can get energy from the deck via Interviewers, from discard via Fisherman or even Ampharos. Didn't use stadium because it can help an enemy as much as it can you.

You can get pokemon with elm or shuffle your hand entirely(there is enough basic so u don't have to worry much about them).

And 2 pots, they never hurt(quite the opposite :P)

Threw out Magmar(isn't bad but the evolution... so i can better have Growlite and then Arcanine), Ninetails(i find Flareon just better although Ninetails is cuter :P),Lanturn(also not bad but can't have them all so Raichu).

Also all the normals some of them are for me just bad, some not so bad but can have better.

I find this the best deck makeable out of basics and besides the now and then unlucky(or for my opponent lucky) energy shortages and missing a pokemon i have gone on a 13 game streak on multiplayer(it was only practise if that means something, and one was a disconnect).

Also Fire/Lightning is a good combo because lightning helps solve the fire weakness.

Tell me what you think :)

GRASS/WATER

Pokemon(29)

3-2-1 Meganium

3-2-1 Feraligatr

3-2-1 Kingdra

3-2 Vaporeon

3-2-1 Torterra

Trainers/Supporters(8)

2 Potion

2 Prof. Elm's

2 Prof. Oak's

Energy(23)

9 Grass

14 Water

So with this one i tried to combine the bench sweeping of the blue and staying power of green.

At first glance u can see less trainers and more energy why is that so? Because the pokemon are a little more energy hungry but unlike fire types dont discard them so once you've 'energised' no more energy conserns for your pokemon. That and the staying power diminishes the need for fisherman.

Now for the pokemon: Feraligatr,Kingdra and Vaporeon are the bench sweepers, but can also deal dmg if they need to so if the active is a threat nuke him if not take your time on the bench to soften them up( nice to dmg those powerhouses that are powering up on the bench).

Meganium,Torterra and kinda Vaporeon are the meatshields but with a twist they can hit back to.

It's hard to dislodge Torterra once he sets up unless u have a strong dmg doer and just when u think u had him he pots up or just retreats if things really get serious.

Suprisingly 3/5 pokemon in this deck can attack with only 1 energy so setting up is easier.

Evolving might take some time but this is enduring your opponent not out speeding them( Fire/Lightning).

As time passes u should get only stronger and stronger.

Got rid of: Butterfree(isn't so bad but Catterpies can be oneshotted by practically anything and overall there are better choices), Blastoise( i don't know for some reason i don't find Blastoise good. Squirtle isn't bad can also do nice dmg for a basic although 3 energy,Wartortle fine an upgrade but Blastoise...4 energy then discard 2 what that means you get an attack ever 2 turns unless u strip all your pokemon their energy,no second attack like Typhlosion. I mean i can see him beeing usefull nuking 100 dmg for a few turns but if he gets downed and u striped all your pokemon their energy or there wasn't enough to begin with you just have a useless pokemon a dmg spoonge at best. It's just my thing), and all the normals.

Trainers are standard some energy and pokemon grabbing form deck, shuffling your hand and pots to annoy the **** out of your opponents.

Grass energy might seem low but you only need 1 for your attacks.

Grass/water is a nice combo because water helps solve the grass weakness and grass can take on grass or lightning.

To be honest i havent tried this deck in play so i can't give you feedback(only ai but it was hard diff. :P).

Perhaps u can try it and tell me how it went ;)

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

COLORLESS(aka NORMAL)

Pokemon(19)

3-1 Blissey

3-2 Raticate

2-1 Ursaring

4-3 Wigglytuff

Trainers/Support(17)

2 Plus power

4 Potion

2 Switch

3 Engineer's adjusments

2 Prof. Elm's

2 Prof. Oak's

Energy(24)

12 Dark

12 Metal

First off all this is kinda a joke deck. Long story short ever since i found out about pokemon cards(eons ago :P) i wanted to create a colorless deck...but was always short of cards...so i never did.And this is where this abomination comes to life :D

As there is a seeming lack of pokemon this deck is trainer/support oriented. You will have all kind of usefull things for your pokemon.

To the pokemon. Normals are somewhat in the middle not bad but not awe inspiring either.

Chansey and Wigglytuff can take hits(as long as they are not nukes) and there abilities make them annoying and Ursaring and Raticate can potentionally deal a lot od dmg.

They do tend to need 2 energy to attack.

Now to the trainers.

Trainers are what keep this deck together. You got plus power to add dmg, switch to constantly move your pokemon(and raticate retreat cost is 0), 4 pots to to heal so much you're pokemon will start thinking they're grass type :P, engineer's to convert an energy card to more cards(and energy you should have aplenty) and standard elm,oak,interviewer's.

Why dark and metal energy? Because i can!!! Normals use any kind of energy and because we dont have double colorless we use the coolest :D

Ditn't put Hoothoot because he sucks(me thinks),Togekiss(to gimicky even for this deck, i mean either u will do stuff or nothing basically the whole evolution line meh),Evee(without the infamous Eveelutions dont find it nothing special).

Normals have nothing to fear(more than usually that is) except getting beat up so watch out for those bullies(DODGEEEE!!!)

And there you have it a gimicky deck(altough not the coin gimicky kind) for when you're feeling brave enough or lucky.

Might redo it someday, but overall i dont think it's THAT bad(yea better cards would help naturally),the synergy of trainers and pokemon attack abilities should pull you trough though.Also havent tried it in multi just ai but feel free to make your opponents rage by beating them with Jigglypuffs and Rattatas.

Feel free to express your opinion!

Hi Virtual0Slayer,

Thank you for posting this and your write up. This is really good stuff and its great to see people working with the free decks.

Something to think about for everyone working with te free decks - if you could only add 1 or 2 more cards, what would they be?

Prof_Warrax

Master of Chaos

Everyone will say Pokemon Collector and those types of cards. But besides those. I'll pick some of the less rares that would add some variety probably.

For supporters/items:

Pokemon Reversal

Max Potion

Good Rod

Energy Switch

Any of those which aren't broken Supporter/Items that have either so so effects, or based on luck or have downfalls.

Pokemon wise I think basically Water and Grass need something to balance with the overpowered Fire cards. The main issue here is you get 3 Typhlosions which are amazing. The other decks you get 1 Meganium, 1 Torterra, 1 Ferraligator, 1 Blastoise. Fire is more focused while the others divide their cards more so of course people will make more Fire based decks when you can have 3 of a 2nd stage evolution thats really powerful. Thats the only issue I think. If there were like 2 Ferraligators, or 2 Torterra in those decks it might even things out more. Blastoise would be a support role then focus on Ferraligators for instance as a strategy. Though that won't work now because who cares. If your Ferraligator is KO'd its KO'd for good pretty much. No backup unlike Typhlosions where there are 3 of them.

• 2 weeks later...

@Josiah Fierce: exactly what I do with him in my electric water deck containing Gyrados and Ferligator. I keep him on the bench and use his ability in case my main needs energy.

As much as I hate to say this, the fastest and easiest way to improve a free fire/electric deck (which seems to be the consensus for the strongest free deck possible) with only "1 or 2 more cards" is to add a couple dragons. Sad but true.

Archived