Questions about Versus Matchmaking

Jigglypuffan

I heard a lot of thing about the versus game.. Some saying , its completely random  and some say we play against player of our level...

I don't want by any way to bother you, but it would be really fun to know the true truth lol.

I hope i don't bother you with this message, if i do sorry and close my topic :/ ..

i'm pretty sure there's an elo system in place though i'm not sure about its effectiveness. I say this because when i lost several hundreds of matches because of trolling with a deck full of water type commons and lasers i actually seemed to get less organized opponents.

But i can't deny that it'd be great to have an official response

Actually I think there's a rank for everyone of us. Lets say based on wins and looses mainly.

At the same time, millions people plays the game so that's a lot of opponents to choose. In addition, not all of them are online at the same time.

So at the end, the system has to make some cuts. All those not online can't be chosen, of course. Could be 3000 players above and 1500 below your actual rank. So there's a lot of empty space around you.

Then... all that players that are in tournaments, playing against the machine (T challenge), in the shop, making trades, just in the main page of the game watching the precious backgrounds (LOL)... whatever not in VS, are not eligible either. Let's say another 4500 below your rank and 7000 above.

Also has to cut those that are actually in VS but are still in a game. Another 14000 above and 4370 below (yes, I'm degenerating the numbers, I know)

So at the end, you'll play against a player that is: in Vs AND waiting for opponent, just like you. You make maths and the next player you can play against is 24000 positions in rank over you OR 10730 below, and that's a lot of positions. Not over millions but just over the cards or the deck you can have.

Maybe that one 10730 below you, has another possible opponent below him/her but only 9650 positions difference. Then possibly, because being nearer from that the system match those two hence you go for the one 24000 positions above, or still for another which is below you but more far because the nearest one has a best match up.

So what I think is that yes, there is a rank and yes, there is an ELO system BUT, it's complicated and SEEMS to be very random because the lot of variables that has to deal with.

If were perfect you'll battle once and again against +1 or -1 of your rank position and imo that's what they try to do but bridging the gaps, that are a lot.

BTW, that's the reason why sometimes one has that curious "advantage golden ball". If there's more than NNNNN rank distance/wins between your opponent and you, the system decree that one is better than the other (just based on rank) and if the one below wins, has a little reward (the +5 points in the Vs ladder).

I'm not a mod/member of the team but, that's what it have sense to me.

Agree with the above, I think match ups depend on many variables.  

Based on my own small sample (50 versus games or so), I noticed that when I lost 2 times in a row using the same deck, I usually got matched with 3rd opponent that I had reasonable chance of defeating.  

On the other hand, when I won 2 in a rows (usually against quitters ), I could bet a $1 my 3rd match would be against a deck full of EX cards :D

well thank for the answer, and will see from pokemon staff..

i already lose 20 game streight or something like that cause i wanted to do something.. 

and then i realize after my opponent were weak..

so i really think he haves a system with versus.. but would be nice to know from staff same at this.

We don't provide public information about matchmaking because we don't want people to attempt to "game" it.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

There's your answer xD. There is a matchmaking system, but the principles are not publicly shared.

yeah because he doesn't actually know the answer.

i honestly don't think half the mods/admins know the true info or answers sometimes.

they can't even answer my question about the graphics being all messed up on my pc with a fresh install of their client from the download.

or answer about why there is a bug that is preventing my deck from being able to play properly without me taking a risk of losing automatically.

btw to answer the question about match making here it is from the support team themselves:

"Thank you for contacting Pokémon Support.

Versus matches are made randomly. The cards in your deck only factor insofar as what type of deck you have. You may be matched with someone with a deck that's less powerful than yours and you may be matched with someone with a deck that's far more powerful than yours!

Feel free to contact us again if you have more questions.

Thank you,

Pokémon Support Team"

"Thank you for contacting Pokémon Support.

We're sorry you ended up with the same players more than once, but yes, the matching system is truly random. If you happen to click that Play button at the same time one of those other players do, you might get matched with them more than once since you're both looking to be matched at the exact same time.

Thank you,

Pokémon Support Team"

the 2nd one is from me stating that its not random which i can say its not, but its not going by rankings either. its more of some thing that isn't even good for matchmaking. if it was, it would actually be matching us up against players of our own skill level or atleast close to it.

if you noticed when you first started, your matches was like wow. really how do i win against this deck. compared to now, its like wow i wish i had this type of matches when i first joined.

1st joned: hardcore

afterwards of a few wins it becomes to easy and sometimes boring.

it should be:

first time joining: easy

after about 3 weeks or a month harder to beat opponents even with a powerful deck.

same if you get those answer xensor.. i still believe seminc say right.. he have a matchmaking but they prefer to don't say how it work.. it's their choice i can live with it..

anyway mods, can you lock this topic.. and thank again for answering my message :)

same if you get those answer xensor.. i still believe seminc say right.. he have a matchmaking but they prefer to don't say how it work.. it's their choice i can live with it..

anyway mods, can you lock this topic.. and thank again for answering my message :)

yeah but they still can't answer questions tho. i am still waiting for a fix for my graphic bug i am having plus some bugs that can't allow me to play a certain poke without it making me lose cause its not doing its job or cause the game don't register me placing energy on a poke but puts it on another one thats on the far end of the bench.

There is most certainly a system in play.  I know this from experience and from watching other players.  I have gotten much better since I started, but my win ratio has only increased about 10% or so.  And veterans/masters/aces tend to get matched against other veterans, masters, and aces.  There is a lot of variability to it, but that's a good thing, so I see no reason to change anything, although all the mystery about it is a little annoying.

Well from my experience, tournament matches are totally random (which is fair in my opinion)

But matches from versus ladder are different:

If you concede without actually playing like 20 matches in a row, then the next few opponents are probably playing basic blue or random exs that do not fit with each other.

So if you want to the versus ladder as soon as possibe, make a deck using deck wizard and use it for conceding purpose only, and boom, your next few opponents are all using basic blue from the theme deck (Althogh I am NOT suggesting that such a behavior is a good thing)

All i want to say is that if you always play tier one deck and one day you want to try some other decks just for fun well you would not be winning that often because most opponents you are facing are propably the same rank as you are they are using tier one decks.

Archived