Protection Pokemon Discussion - 2017 Standard Deck

Polyeidus

I'd like to open a discussion on abilities that provide damage prevention (from attacks) within the 2017 Standard Deck list of options. I believe that understanding the quirks of abilities may help to understand what to do when moves do more than just damage.

The Pokemon Trading Card Database listed the following (alphabetical order):

Beautifly, Stage 2, Roaring Seas 5/108

Ability: Miraculous Scales

Prevent all damage done to this Pokemon by attacks from your opponent's Pokemon-EX.

Bronzong, Stage 1, Fates Collide 61/124

Ability: Metal Fortress

Prevent all effects of your opponent's attacks, including damage, done to your Benched Pokemon.

Carbink, Basic, Roaring Seas 47/108

Ability: Jewel Armor

As long as this Pokemon is on your Bench, prevent all damage done to this Pokemon by attacks (both yours and your opponent's).

Carbink, Basic, Fates Collide 50/124

Ability: Safeguard

Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokemon by your opponent's Pokemon-EX.

Giratina-EX, Basic, Ancient Origins 57/98

Giratina-EX, Basic, Ancient Origins 93/98

Ability: Renegade Pulse

Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokemon by your opponent's Mega Evolution Pokemon.

Marowak, Stage 1, Fates Collide 37/124

Ability: Bodyguard

Prevent all effects of attacks done to you or your hand by your opponent's Pokemon. Remove any existing effects.

Mr. Mime, BREAKthrough 97/162

Mr. Mime, Generations 52/83

Ability: Bench Barrier

Prevent all damage done to your Benched Pokemon by attacks.

Rayquaza, Basic, XY Promo 64

Ability: Ozone Wall

As long as this Pokemon is on your Bench, prevent all damage done to this Pokemon by attacks (both yours and your opponent's).

Suicune, Basic, BREAKpoint 30/122

Ability: Wind Charm

As long as this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, prevent all effects of your opponent's attacks, except damage, done to each of your Pokemon. (Existing effects are not removed.)

Taking away the conditions that specify which card is protected, where the card is while in play, or by which card is attacking, there are a few common protections from attacks (nothing seems to prevent damage or damage counters from abilities or evolution statements):

• Prevent all damage
  • Prevent all effects, including damage
  • Prevent all effects, except damage

Bottom line is that I am confused by the wording. For discussion purposes, so I can better understand the game, please help me out.

The first one seems pretty obvious, if your opponent attacks, no damage. Pretty simple, but does this include both damage and damage counters? From my readings elsewhere, I suspect only the damage listed in the attack and not when it states "place # damage counters on...".

If the first one doesn't prevent damage counters, surely the second one does. Right? The second one uses the words "all effects" and "including damage" together. When I see "all effects", I think it means status effects, but then why would the Bench need protection from status effects? What kinds of effects can effect the Bench? Does this prevent things like damage counters, energy removal, tool removal, retreat prevention (active Pokemon), or forced switching (both)?

For the third one, I suspect I might find understanding once the second one is explained, but Tyrantrum-EX's ability makes me wonder if using a Pokemon other than Tyrantrum-EX can leave me poisoned or confused if I attack a Pokemon with such a condition:

Tyrantrum-EX, Basic, XY Promo 70

Ability: Despotic Fang

Damage from this Pokemon's attacks isn't affected by any effects on your opponent's Active Pokemon.

Its just my luck, the one protection Pokemon I fully understand is going to receive less focus than it already does since the Furious Fists energy disruptions are moving from Standard to Expanded:

Carbink, Basic, Fates Collide 49/124

Ability: Energy Keeper

Basic Energy attached to your Basic Pokemon can't be discarded by effects of your opponent's attacks, Abilities, or Trainer cards.

I appreciate you for reading this far, and I look forward to guidance on how best to deal with this confusion.

Thank you,

Polyeidus

PS - I found that the Ancient Trait Ω Barrier also provides some protection, but it only applies to the card written on and not many cards have the Ancient Trait.

<**

• Prevent all effects, including damage
  • Prevent all effects, except damage

The top one means nothing can be done at all to that Pokemon. No special conditions, no Energy discards, no nothing. The bottom one means no effects, but damage still occurs. BTW: Yes, placing damage counters is an "effect", and thus Bronzong's Metal Fortress prevents Tren BREAK placing damage counters. The Barrier Ancient Trait is more useful in the new Expanded. No Hammer discards or Laser conditions.

Awesome. Looks like your logic for Bronzong also applies to Marowak/Bodyguard which I like because it would be a natural fit to my deck and also cover the Active Pokemon. 

No, as Bodyguard prevents effects done to you or your hand, not your Pokemon. In other words it stops Item lock, or other similar tries. It does not prevent Special Conditions or other effects to your Pokemon.

It took me a few times reading the two cards to understand the difference you are talking about. Thank you for clearing it up because I was missing it completely. 

More questions, sorry but this is how I learn.

Does Marowak/Bodyguard protect from Giratina-EX's Chaos Wheel? (Ancient Origins 57)

Does Carbink/Safeguard protect from Hydreigon-EX's Shred? (Roaring Skies 62)

Hydreigon's attack ignores all effects, including safeguard.

Bodyguard prevents all lock affects of Chaos Wheel.

That is more great news. I wish there was something I could do to frustrate Hydreigon/Shred players too.  lol

Fairy types!  Those decks arrogantly assume that their weakness will never be a problem.  Prove them wrong! ;) 

Yesterday, I played my "Binkmar" deck (its what I'm calling my Carbink/Marowak denial deck scheme) in a local League Play! tournament. While everyone else was playing under current standard deck rules, I was playing within the 2017 standard deck expansions. This thread has helped me a lot in preparing this deck. Five match games were played, and I ended with a 3-1-1 record for 7th place (I was one of 31 Masters playing). Being new to the game, I made a number of bad plays which may or may not have effected the outcome in the 2 non-win matches, but I continue to learn a lot and more importantly, I had a lot of fun.

Running the matches through my head for self assessment this morning left me with a question. Does Bodyguard protect my Active Pokemon from Jirachi's Stardust attack (XY67 Promo). I had an Active Pokemon with a Strong Energy and Marowak/Bodyguard on the Bench. I didn't think about the Bodyguard protection at the time of the match, but should it have prevented the Stardust effect?

Edit: The ********** comes in at strange times, and it took several tries to fix it.

Marowak's Bodyguard allows you to bypass effects that affect you (the player) and your hand, not effects that affect your Pokemon. For example, Bodyguard will allow you to play Item cards while XY Trevenant is in the active slot, but it will not stop the damage counter placement from Trevenant BREAK's Silent Fear.

The attack "Silent Fear" affects your Pokemon, whereas the ability "Forest's Curse" affects you and your hand.

Marowak's Bodyguard allows you to bypass effects that affect you (the player) and your hand, not effects that affect your Pokemon. For example, Bodyguard will allow you to play Item cards while XY Trevenant is in the active slot, but it will not stop the damage counter placement from Trevenant BREAK's Silent Fear.

The attack "Silent Fear" affects your Pokemon, whereas the ability "Forest's Curse" affects you and your hand.

So, in other words, Bodyguard only affects Item lock, and does not stop effects on your Pokemon, whether it be due to Special Conditions or attack prevention. Stardust works as normal, as does Safeguard and other effects.

Archived