The Unofficial XY: Steam Siege and Rotation Discussion Thread

miyamoris

Its reprinted in Roaring Skies as a Secret Rare, but without Battle Compressor it loses a lot of its power.

oh right, I forgot about RS' secret rare version.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pokemasterTz

• LordCharizardX

• seminc

• SuperStone

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love the idea! I'm defiantly hyped to say bye bye to Night march and Trevenant 

You are correct. The ruling is the same as the old card (Swoop! Teleporter). Since the Pokemon is being switched, and all damage and status counter remain on it, it has already been in play for a turn

With no Item lock decks, my money is on Aerodactyl from Fates Collide. It's fast, it's furious, and it's blatantly broken. Now it's time to show the developers that Fossil cards are worth printing. Th

I think the new Toxicroak will be interesting to play with.

Ability - If your opponent's Active Pokémon is Poisoned, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokémon.

This should make for some interesting decks.  Especially since it is a fighting type pokemon.  It does sound like fighting decks are losing a lot of cards.  It may be to early for a reprint of Korrina, I think someone mentioned she is getting rotated out, in steam siege.  

Keldeo4444

Its reprinted in Roaring Skies as a Secret Rare, but without Battle Compressor it loses a lot of its power.

Let's not forget Talonflame. It will be a fun card to play around with at least, even though it isn't very practical.

Talonflame - Stage 2 - HP 130

Ability

Gale Wings

If this Pokémon is in your hand when you are setting up to play, you may put it face down as your Active Pokémon.

© Aero Blitz - 40

Search your deck for up to 2 cards and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Weakness: L*2

Resistance: F-20

Retreat: 0

This Card is cool, but you can only put it down as your Active Pokémon, but still, it is better then evolving all the way because there is a Talonflame BREAK in steam Siege

theotherguytm

Not sure on it's (Aero's) viability in the greater meta, but there's still Vileplume.

Vesp - Battle Compressor = Nothing.

Vile - Vesp = Nonviable.

Unless someone really cruel finds a new buddy for Vileplume, Jet Draft will be doing maximum damage.

If Fossils are viable, we'll find out very soon, else they'll probably stop printing them. Aero' is so easy to start attacking with it's unreal. As a bonus, Omastar joins in the fun, bringing the ancient fighter jet out at full speed, while BREAK evolving to give you a free Lysandre every turn. Once it starts, its only weaknesses is Garb' (shuts off Omastar, but fails to stop Jet Draft) and lack of EX-killing power (perfectly enough for Shaymin killing). Just when Shaymin thought it was safe now Target Whistle has gone... Dangerous Tentacles strikes! And if 120 for 1 energy drop with no other requirements isn't OP, what is?

Polyeidus

Have you seen those zygarde/vileplume decks? They've been doing pretty well.

I can't find any. Can you provide a link or clue?

SuperStone

Well, I'm not seeing much exact stuff, but there's a deck analysis at the US nationals twitch video. The part you want is around 3:53.

Edited by SuperStone
  • Upvote 1
theotherguytm

Have you seen those zygarde/vileplume decks? They've been doing pretty well.

Nuts. Listen, whoever came up with that idea:

I Hate You.

At least Marowak and Pokemon Ranger give me a chance. Talonflame + Aero = 1/2 Basic deck. Non-meta, non-expected, and hopefully fun.

I feel kinda sad that we won´t have more splash damage cards like Forretress / Ferrothorn / Crobat...

Golbat lives on in Generations. But without Crobat it is much weaker.

Finally we may see a Fire deck worth playing!

No more Blacksmith = No more fire. Unless it is reprinted.

Edited by theotherguytm
SuperStone

This may cause some decks to include raticate, as it is the only viable tool-discard attacker with skarmory-EX rotating out.

pokemasterTz

The top decks I see coming out:

Gren BREAK

Darkrai/Garbodor variants

M Ray

Help me guys, I can't think of anything else Top Tier. (Y.Z.G?)

Edit : I didn't notice this until now lol, but this was my 100th post! I'm an Elite Trainer now :)

Edited by pokemasterTz
pokemasterTz

This is going to be controversial, but after careful thought, I believe the best deck coming out post rotation will be Darkrai/Garbodor/Giratina. The triple threat the deck offers is absurdly good. Garbodor no longer fears Startling Megaphone and Xerosic, and destroys all abilities. Additional, Giratina stops all Special Energy, Megas, Tools and Stadiums. Every deck in the meta is influenced badly by one of these things, and on top of that, Darkrai EX can deal huge amounts of damage extremely fast.

After rotation, we're left with the following decks:

Darkrai/Garbodor

Darkrai/Giratina/Garbodor

Mega Ray

Zygarde/Vileplume

Greninja BREAK

Y.Z.G

Whatever else I forgot / is not mid-top tier

M Ray looks really promising, and I expect that to be pretty popular. Giratina EX is the anti M Ray. Period. There is no way M Ray stands a chance against the Chaos Wheel / Renegade Pulse combo. No DCE, a Hex maniac has to be played, and on top of that, you can opt to go the Darkrai route and lock out Shaymins with Garbodor.

Greninja BREAK dies to Garbodor, and Zygarde/Vileplume is also hurt by Garbotoxin, without Item Lock and without Strong Energy as well thanks to Chaos Wheel.

Yveltal/Zorark/Gallade has no Premonition and Stand In, and there is no DCE either. This leaves both Zorark and Gallade useless, and gives a favorable match up.

Possibly the decks worse match up, we have pure Darkrai/Garbodor. It doesn't run on special energy, and it's not ability reliant. But it's not actually that bad. This deck hits hard even without the disruptive element. With a strong build, this match up is definitely not bad. The main reason why this seems so bad is that Giratina EX is virtually useless. On the other hand, instead of Giratina, the opposing deck has more tools compared to dead cards this deck has, so it has an advantage, right? Well actually, no. Although Giratina is useless as an attacker, it is also your one advantage. DDE allows you to attach 2 per turn, and you power up your Darkrai faster. If you use this to your advantage, you should be able to out speed your opponent and take the game. Not a good match-up, but by no means a bad one.

Other than these decks, there isn't anything that stands out. Yes there are other decks (Aerodactyl, Medicham, etc.), and I'm not saying they're bad, only not as popular/relevant as these ones most likely will be. Also, I highly doubt after rotation you can find a consistent non-ability, Mega, Special Energy, Tool and Stadium reliant deck among them.

Basically, Darkrai/Garbodor/Giratina will be good. Play it.

Edited by pokemasterTz
pokemasterTz
um anyone actually considered garchomp-zyguarde?

Korrina is rotating out, decreasing the strength of the deck, and if your referencing my Giratina post, Strong energy is gone thanks to Chaos Wheel. Also, I have never heard of anyone specifically partnering Zygarde with Garchomp. I'll have to look it up. (Pardon me if I'm being ignorant).

Edited by pokemasterTz
Polyeidus

I've been a big fan of Zygarde since I started playing Pokemon TCG, first the 10%/50% theme deck, then the Zygarde-EX I use now. I haven't checked out Garchomp yet, it could be interesting.

I don't know if the Carbink Safeguard or Marowak Bodyguard prevents the effects of Chaos Wheel, but they might be viable counters to the effects.

I do know that I have used Carbink Break to move Strong Energy from the discard pile to my benched Pokemon while under Chaos Wheel lockout. Its a pain, but once my Zygardes are loaded up and the Carbink dies (faints), I'm ready to go. The key is to counter Giratina quickly, before you have to deal with Chaos Wheel, its painful to attempt a comeback while its in use. Try to win the stadium war before Chaos Wheel or prepare to have Delinquents ready to go for while the lockout is in place.

Edited to reword around the site ***** filters.

Edited by Polyeidus
unscsnip3r

I've been a big fan of Zygarde since I started playing Pokemon TCG, first the 10%/50% theme deck, then the Zygarde-EX I use now. I haven't checked out Garchomp yet, it could be interesting.

I don't know if the Carbink Safeguard or Marowak Bodyguard prevents the effects of Chaos Wheel, but they might be viable counters to the effects.

I do know that I have used Carbink Break to move Strong Energy from the discard pile to my benched Pokemon while under Chaos Wheel lockout. Its a pain, but once my Zygardes are loaded up and the Carbink dies (faints), I'm ready to go. The key is to counter Giratina quickly, before you have to deal with Chaos Wheel, its painful to attempt a comeback while its in use. Try to win the stadium war before Chaos Wheel or prepare to have Delinquents ready to go for while the lockout is in place.

il post my post-rotation version after i get home later. I run 3-2-3 chomp 2 zyguarde, 2-2 marowak and 2 carbink. dont need break as chomp can do the same job, with better damage on it too.

Max_POT

This is going to be controversial, but after careful thought, I believe the best deck coming out post rotation will be Darkrai/Garbodor/Giratina. The triple threat the deck offers is absurdly good. Garbodor no longer fears Startling Megaphone and Xerosic, and destroys all abilities. Additional, Giratina stops all Special Energy, Megas, Tools and Stadiums. Every deck in the meta is influenced badly by one of these things, and on top of that, Darkrai EX can deal huge amounts of damage extremely fast.

After rotation, we're left with the following decks:

Darkrai/Garbodor

Darkrai/Giratina/Garbodor

Mega Ray

Zygarde/Vileplume

Greninja BREAK

Y.Z.G

Whatever else I forgot / is not mid-top tier

M Ray looks really promising, and I expect that to be pretty popular. Giratina EX is the anti M Ray. Period. There is no way M Ray stands a chance against the Chaos Wheel / Renegade Pulse combo. No DCE, a Hex maniac has to be played, and on top of that, you can opt to go the Darkrai route and lock out Shaymins with Garbodor.

[...]

Basically, Darkrai/Garbodor/Giratina will be good. Play it.

Would you advise adding Umbreon-EX to this deck as a tech card against Mega EX decks such as M Ray?

Edited by iyado166
pokemasterTz

Would you advise adding Umbreon-EX to this deck as a tech card against Mega EX decks such as M Ray?

Isn't that a "win more" condition? Regenade Pulse stops Megas.

LordCharizardX

Korrina is rotating out, decreasing the strength of the deck, and if your referencing my Giratina post, Strong energy is gone thanks to Chaos Wheel. Also, I have never heard of anyone specifically partnering Zygarde with Garchomp. I'll have to look it up. (Pardon me if I'm being ignorant).

My Fighting deck uses Carbink BREAK, but with Battle Compressor rotating out, the only way to get them in the discards under that move is with Sycamore or you KO'ing my Pokemon, I wonder how Pokemon Ranger will fare with the rise of Giratina.

Polyeidus

My Fighting deck uses Carbink BREAK, but with Battle Compressor rotating out, the only way to get them in the discards under that move is with Sycamore or you KO'ing my Pokemon, I wonder how Pokemon Ranger will fare with the rise of Giratina.

I use the Sycamore and Ultra Ball cards to discard energy since I don't use the Battle Compressor. With the hammers and such, sometimes sacrificing a Carbink Break to power up my Zygarde-EX is the only way I can get it powered up in the late game. While I think there will be some useful cards in the Steam Siege expansion (some more than others), I think I'm looking forward to the rotation a bit more.  lol