The Unofficial XY: Steam Siege and Rotation Discussion Thread

pokemasterTz

Hello PTCGO! Unfortunately, it's "that" time of year again, and we'll be saying bye to XY, Flashfire, Furious Fists, and Phantom Forces. This season was intresting, to say the least, and sometimes a bit stale, but a Pokemon season nonetheless. So, with that in mind, let's discuss the new format coming up. What do you expect to be the top decks? How do you think rotation will change the meta? What cards will you be missing? :( And of course, what are your thoughts on Steam Siege? Anyone can use this thread to discuss anything Steam Siege or rotation related, and I hope everyone finds this discussion helpful in preparing for the upcoming season :)

Rules:

1) Please follow the forum rules. Failure to follow any of them will result in me asking you to refrain from further posting in this thread (only in extreme cases).

2) Be respectful to your fellow community members. Everyone has their opinion, and please respect that. Constructive criticism is welcomed, and likewise differing opinions, but rude, insulting and offensive posts are strictly prohibited. No flamewars, insults, or anything like that. Please make sure your posts add to this thread, and are positive and friendly.

3) Stay on-topic. As long as your post has something to do with decks for the new format, Steam Siege, or rotation, your fine, but don't wander off. This one is pretty broad, so don't worry about it that much.

4) If this thread has been inactive for more than 14 days, in accordance with forum rules, please do not post on it.

5) As usual, any action or comment related to the subject of "fun" is strictly prohibited. Failure to comply with this regulation will result in severe punishment, including, but not limited to: receiving a +1 on your post, getting a reply with one or more smiley emoji, and positive replies to your comment/post. If you see a "positive" or fun-related post, as a Pokemon community member, it is your moral obligation to enforce these punishments.

Thanks, and I hope that everyone finds this thread at least somewhat helpful :)

Discused XY: Steam Siege Standouts

Any Steam Siege card discussed in this thread will have it's information posted here. (Scans from the site you-know-I-am-talking-about-but-can't-name).

Ninja Boy – Trainer
Supporter

Search your deck for a Basic Pokemon and switch it with 1 of your Basic Pokemon in play. (Any cards attached to that Pokemon, damage counters, Special Conditions, and effects on it are now on the new Pokemon.) Shuffle the first Basic Pokemon into your deck.

You may play only 1 Supporter card per turn (before your attack).

Volcanion-EX – Fire / Water – HP180
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Steam Up
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard 1 Fire Energy card from your hand. If you do, during this turn, the attacks of your Basic Fire Pokemon do 30 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

[R][R][C] Volcanic Heat: 130 damage. During your next turn, this Pokemon can’t attack.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Water (x2)

Resistance: None

Retreat: 3

Pokemon Ranger – Trainer

Supporter

Remove all effects of attacks from both players and all Pokemon.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Special Charge – Trainer

Item

Shuffle 2 Special Energy cards from your discard pile back into your deck.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

Talonflame – Colorless – HP130

Stage 2 – Evolves from Fletchinder

Ability: Gale Wings
At the start of the game, you may put this Pokemon face-down as your Active Pokemon.

[C] Aero Blitz: 40 damage. Search your deck for any 2 cards and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 0

Talonflame BREAK – Fire – HP170

BREAK Evolution – Evolves from Talonflame

Talonflame BREAK retains the attacks, Abilities, Weakness, Resistance, and Retreat Cost of its previous Evolution.

[R][R] Flare Blitz: 150 damage.

Discard all [R] Energy attached to this Pokemon.

Edited by pokemasterTz
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pokemasterTz

• LordCharizardX

• seminc

• SuperStone

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love the idea! I'm defiantly hyped to say bye bye to Night march and Trevenant 

You are correct. The ruling is the same as the old card (Swoop! Teleporter). Since the Pokemon is being switched, and all damage and status counter remain on it, it has already been in play for a turn

With no Item lock decks, my money is on Aerodactyl from Fates Collide. It's fast, it's furious, and it's blatantly broken. Now it's time to show the developers that Fossil cards are worth printing. Th

pokemasterTz

Love the idea! I'm defiantly hyped to say bye bye to Night march and Trevenant  :D

Depends on if we get cp4. Then Night March will come back, and Karen will be our only hope. Either way, RIP Night March.

grriffinn

Loving it so far, although the loss of Battle Compressor is a bit bittersweet.

Depends on if we get cp4. Then Night March will come back, and Karen will be our only hope. Either way, RIP Night March.

It hasn't been confirmed for an international release despite being released in Japan back in April as well as ALL of its new cards (Wobbuffet BREAK and the M Beedrill-EX stuff) getting box releases outside of Japan, so I doubt it'll see an international release.

What makes me really anxious to play with is Volcanion-ex and Trainer card "Ninja Boy". Especially Ninja Boy...

That trainer card has some potential to in actually any deck, i did not give it enough time to bring up some cool ideas but the fact that you can just replace your active pokemon with any pokemon from your deck is undoubtedly a strategic card.

Volcanion will probably act as a supporter pokemon cause its attack is pretty bad (situational to say the least), alongside Entei and baby volcanion as main attackers.

That´s it, just my first impression for this next set...so far.

seminc

What makes me really anxious to play with is Volcanion-ex and Trainer card "Ninja Boy". Especially Ninja Boy...

That trainer card has some potential to in actually any deck, i did not give it enough time to bring up some cool ideas but the fact that you can just replace your active pokemon with any pokemon from your deck is undoubtedly a strategic card.

Volcanion will probably act as a supporter pokemon cause its attack is pretty bad (situational to say the least), alongside Entei and baby volcanion as main attackers.

Ikr, I love ninja boy. Gives me nostalgia for its older counterpart "Swoop! Teleporter".

Pokemon Ranger will also be an interesting card in the meta, as it basically destroys all effects of attacks on all Pokémon in play (rendering Jolteon-EX/Glaceon-EX/Stardust Jirachi ineffective.

grriffinn

Ikr, I love ninja boy. Gives me nostalgia for its older counterpart "Swoop! Teleporter".

Pokemon Ranger will also be an interesting card in the meta, as it basically destroys all effects of attacks on all Pokémon in play (rendering Jolteon-EX/Glaceon-EX/Stardust Jirachi ineffective.

Agreed. I'd also like to point out Special Charge (Lets you shuffle two Special Energy cards from your discard pile back into your deck), which will definitely see play in Special Energy-centric decks. Captivating Poke Puff (You opponent reveals his or her hand. Put any number of Basic Pokemon you find there onto your opponent's Bench) is also a possible hit with some decks.

Another thing I noticed is that we're losing Startling Megaphone, that means Garbodor is going to be MUCH more common in the meta come September.

pokemasterTz

Agreed. I'd also like to point out Special Charge (Lets you shuffle two Special Energy cards from your discard pile back into your deck), which will definitely see play in Special Energy-centric decks. Captivating Poke Puff (You opponent reveals his or her hand. Put any number of Basic Pokemon you find there onto your opponent's Bench) is also a possible hit with some decks.

Another thing I noticed is that we're losing Startling Megaphone, that means Garbodor is going to be MUCH more common in the meta come September.

Lol, Ninja Boy, Ranger and Special a Charge were my top 3 cards. Ninja Boy makes Shaymin starts irrelevant, Headringer cry in expanded, Rakiou slightly better, and best of all, allows for surprise KO's. Also, Xerosic is gone as well, so no tool removal, and no Garbodor.

pokemasterTz

Anyone know the ruling on this?:

Basic Pokemon X is put into play.

1 Turn Passes.

Ninja Boy is used.

Basic Pokemon X has been swapped with Basic Pokemon Y.

Is Basic Pokemon Y able to evolve immediately since X waited a single turn? Or does it have to wait a single turn before being able to evolve? (My guess is it doesn't have to wait, but I'm not sure).

seminc

Anyone know the ruling on this?:

Basic Pokemon X is put into play.

1 Turn Passes.

Ninja Boy is used.

Basic Pokemon X has been swapped with Basic Pokemon Y.

Is Basic Pokemon Y able to evolve immediately since X waited a single turn? Or does it have to wait a single turn before being able to evolve? (My guess is it doesn't have to wait, but I'm not sure).

You are correct. The ruling is the same as the old card (Swoop! Teleporter). Since the Pokemon is being switched, and all damage and status counter remain on it, it has already been in play for a turn as far as evolution rules go.

Edited by seminc
  • Upvote 1
LordCharizardX

I'm sad that Korrina and Battle Compressor going out, but Night March was annoying and with the rumored return of Mew-EX it's just as well.

But I am excited for the return of Dual Type Pokemon, and am loving the design aesthetic more than the first incarnation, and Ninja Boy is a potentially crazy card, I can swap one of my beat up EX's for a Machampyou hoping for this set? for a surprise power KO with Steaming Mad, just for funsies, :P

Really though the card can be crazy. Special Charge is also nice. Yveltal BREAK is nasty damage output for the type of card. But with the reprint of N in Fates Collide what reprint(s) are

LordCharizardX

Lol, Ninja Boy, Ranger and Special a Charge were my top 3 cards. Ninja Boy makes Shaymin starts irrelevant, Headringer cry in expanded, Rakiou slightly better, and best of all, allows for surprise KO's. Also, Xerosic is gone as well, so no tool removal, and no Garbodor.

What do you mean no Garbodor?

seminc

Just noticed that. Maybe it was a typo? With no tool removal, there will definitely be a lot of Garbodor seeing play. Goodbye ability decks :P

theotherguytm

With no Item lock decks, my money is on Aerodactyl from Fates Collide. It's fast, it's furious, and it's blatantly broken. Now it's time to show the developers that Fossil cards are worth printing. They produced an OP fossil to see if it got used and therefore if it is worth producing any more fossils. Lets show them it is! JET DRAFT 120!

• Downvote 1

I think I am going to try making a deck with the following pokemon: 

2-1-4-2 Talonflame Break

2-1-2 Infernape

2 Volcanion

1 or 2 Volcanion Ex

Don't know if it will be any good but I will enjoy playing with Infernape. Talonflame Break is going to be pretty amazing and may be included in some high level deck.  

Edited by Polyw
wwhsdjhudj

I think I am going to try making a deck with the following pokemon: 

2-1-4-2 Talonflame Break

2-1-2 Infernape

2 Volcanion

1 or 2 Volcanion Ex

Don't know if it will be any good but I will enjoy playing with Infernape. Talonflame Break is going to be pretty amazing and may be included in some high level deck.  

TalonFlame and Break will be amazing :P The only problem I see with this build is that Volcanion EX's ability will only work with the other Volcanion (and Itself) Unless that is what you intended XD

pokemasterTz

Just noticed that. Maybe it was a typo? With no tool removal, there will definitely be a lot of Garbodor seeing play. Goodbye ability decks :P

*Falcepalms* 

I meant to type resistance after Garbodor lol.

LordCharizardX

With no Item lock decks, my money is on Aerodactyl from Fates Collide. It's fast, it's furious, and it's blatantly broken. Now it's time to show the developers that Fossil cards are worth printing. They produced an OP fossil to see if it got used and therefore if it is worth producing any more fossils. Lets show them it is! JET DRAFT 120!

Not sure on it's viability in the greater meta, but there's still Vileplume.

pokemasterTz

I had dreams of AT Torchic spamming damage with Volcanion EX, but then I read Claw's secondary effect. Fliptini in expanded anyone? (It's probably too complicated to be a legit deck though).

Edited by pokemasterTz
Keldeo4444

Steam Siege is cool, but the 4 sets that have been rotated out, has so many Playable cards. Xerosic, AZ, Battle Compressor, I can name 12 others. Pokemon has lately changing that playability in cards. For example, take Breakthrough to Steam siege, are there 15 playable trainers, well, I dont think even 5.

This is ruining a lot of good core cards in Pokemon TCG and the new expantions cards are not good enough to replace cards like Battle Compressor. But the good thing is there is no more Night March and Trevanent.

pokemasterTz

Update:

A new section on the first post, Discused XY: Steam Siege Standouts has been aded. As the name implies, it contains the information for all cards discussed from XY: Steam Siege for everyone's reference. If anyone discusses a certain XY: Steam Siege card, that card's information will be added to the post.

Edited by pokemasterTz
seminc

Let's not forget Talonflame. It will be a fun card to play around with at least, even though it isn't very practical.

Talonflame - Stage 2 - HP 130

Ability

Gale Wings

If this Pokémon is in your hand when you are setting up to play, you may put it face down as your Active Pokémon.

© Aero Blitz - 40

Search your deck for up to 2 cards and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Weakness: L*2

Resistance: F-20

Retreat: 0

seminc

Is Vs Seeker getting a reprint? Don't remember hearing anything about.

Its reprinted in Roaring Skies as a Secret Rare, but without Battle Compressor it loses a lot of its power.