Pay2Win?

r00st3r3

OK, so I just started playing this game a couple of days ago. Very fun and addicting game. So I went through the Trainer Challenges to get some cards and trainer points. Got 500 and bought the theme pack with Gengar in it because he is my favorite Pokemon. 

I also got an EX Mewtwo and an EX Audino. Made a Normal/Dark/Psychic desk with those cards in them. Played people and when I get Mewtwo or Audino at the beginning of the game I usually win since they are very strong.

A couple of people mentioned Pay2Win like I paid real money to buy stuff.

I looked to see if I could buy packs and found out that Gems aren't available in the USA. So how can anyone be Pay2Win? How can I buy packs for the game? 

I heard that booster packs have codes in them. Does every booster have codes? So if I buy a booster will I get a code for a booster in the online game?

I ask this because I am really only interested in the online game but would be cool to collect Pokemon cards if I can get cards in the game also.

Thank you for reading and helping.

Yes, most products (boosters, tins, boxes, decks) come with a code to unlock the same product online.  Tin and box codes give you the promo, deck codes give you the deck, and pack codes give you a pack (contents will vary).

If you're only playing online, you can buy code cards for about 25 cents each on the popular auction site or other marketplaces.

Yes, most products (boosters, tins, boxes, decks) come with a code to unlock the same product online.  Tin and box codes give you the promo, deck codes give you the deck, and pack codes give you a pack (contents will vary).

If you're only playing online, you can buy code cards for about 25 cents each on the popular auction site or other marketplaces.

Ya but isn't there a chance I would get ripped off? Plus I think collecting the real cards and getting virtual cards with it is more of a value. Thanks for the information though.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to precise a thing.

There is a mmr growing by winning, so as you do a better deck with better cards and a better play, you will play against better deck. You just meet a scrub who doesnt know the game, it's not p2w for me, even if you can to buy irl packs, you play with ppl of your level/collection.

And in tournaments, if you arent ready for standard or extended, theme puts everybody in fair condition.

I would recommend doing theme matches to build up coins as well as the special ex challenge they run every month just to increase your catalog. Theme matches are fairly luck based so it's more of an even playing field for new players who don't have a lot of cards.

Their are many ways to gain coins and get more cards.Right now id suggest getting the different theme decks.They give the most variety of pokemon and support as you build your collection.

And support is just as important as having the ********** well as getting the various energy youll need later on.

Also,as you get more and more tokens you can buy into various packs at shop to help out.Thing is these will all be locked but you will have them when you need them.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

There seems to be a group of n00b 10-year-olds who think everyone who has a deck that's better than theirs is a pay2win player. That makes no sense.

Buying cards and using them in a game...sheesh, what a crime.

ptcgo sell boosters and decks. Not sure if it is 100% legal to buy there or you can be banned ?

To be clear, it is 100% legal to buy anything that is a physical product. Meaning it is completely legal to buy code cards, but buying/selling virtual, meaning already redeemed, cards/packs/etc, is a bannable offense.

To be clear, it is 100% legal to buy anything that is a physical product. Meaning it is completely legal to buy code cards, but buying/selling virtual, meaning already redeemed, cards/packs/etc, is a bannable offense.

This is exactly true ^

So ptcgo is legal ?

So ptcgo is legal ?

Idk what you mean by "PTCGO is legal". Could you define "PTCGO?"

The only purchases that can get you banned is if you are caught buying or selling digital "In-Game" cards. Buying codes or Physical merchandise is completely legal in every way.

no, it's not endorsed or accepted by pokemon/nintendo. They made it clear as soon as they released the codes that they couldn't condone or support the buy/sell of digital codes. websites like what you said or the one named after a certain proffessor are the most "illigal" in this way as the only things you recieve are digital and you're not buying anything physical. the sites where they send you out physical codes i imagine to be more of a grey area.

no, it's not endorsed or accepted by pokemon/nintendo. They made it clear as soon as they released the codes that they couldn't condone or support the buy/sell of digital codes. websites like what you said or the one named after a certain proffessor are the most "illigal" in this way as the only things you recieve are digital and you're not buying anything physical. the sites where they send you out physical codes i imagine to be more of a grey area.

By the terms of service, unredeemed codes are technically not In-Game items, and are as legal to sell and buy as Pokemon TCG Singles.

There seems to be a group of n00b 10-year-olds who think everyone who has a deck that's better than theirs is a pay2win player. That makes no sense.

Buying cards and using them in a game...sheesh, what a crime.

You give people too much credit; I am sure many of them are adults as well. ;)

Things like this are probably why plenty of people just turn the chat function off.  I mean you not only have to deal with sore losers, some people cannot win graciously either, and frankly it is very easy to grow annoyed with either and become a part of the problem. =P  Might not be so bad if you knew you were always dealing with adults, but even though my young nephew is starting to show an interest in the Pokémon TCG, I don't think I'd want to expose him to a lot of folks I've encountered on the PTCGO.

Yes I know the PTCGO is quite sheltered.  I'm not worried about "traumatized 4 life" I'm worried about picking up or reinforcing bad habits. ;)

If you're worried about his exposure, take your own advice and turn off the chat on his account. I'm pretty sure they have it set up so you can do stuff like that for kids' accounts.

Archived