PTCGO needs a public test realm

random11x

Original Title: SKY FIELD BANNED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Ok it is temporary... you guys seriously scared me there.... this is a huge issue though... like not to be rude, but do you even test your patches before they go out.... maybe set up a beta patch or something... I cant believe sky field... being used in so many decks is causing such a huge issue. Like not being able to even play the game... how did that go unnoticed?

EDIT:

I now think this is a perfect example of why PTCGO needs a public test realm of sorts. Discussed in my post below:

here

Sky Field still works in the game - at least in a friend battle - I'm perplexed as to why it's interfering with matchmaking.

I guess cards must be used somehow to affect RNG in game.

Sky Field still works in the game - at least in a friend battle - I'm perplexed as to why it's interfering with matchmaking.

I guess cards must be used somehow to affect RNG in game.

Explains the Shaymin and Hoopa Starts

It's possible, but very unlikely, especially as most of the problems with sky field-inclusive decks were before the 'looking for opponent' screen.

On the subject of testing, there are literally thousands of cards in the game, and the devs can't exactly test all of them in a timely fashion. And as SuperStone said, Sky Field was preventing people from finding opponents.

On the subject of testing, there are literally thousands of cards in the game, and the devs can't exactly test all of them in a timely fashion. And as SuperStone said, Sky Field was preventing people from finding opponents.

:mellow: Seriously... what are you talking about. Sky field is in tons of decks... I do expect them to test the popular cards. And its obvious now sky field was preventing people from finding opponents (I even say that in my original post).... what does that have to do with them not testing stuff. It's even more of a reason for them to have tested it.

:mellow: Seriously... what are you talking about. Sky field is in tons of decks... I do expect them to test the popular cards. And its obvious now sky field was preventing people from finding opponents (I even say that in my original post).... what does that have to do with them not testing stuff. It's even more of a reason for them to have tested it.

Well even if the devs only looked at major cards, there are still too many to test reliably. While I would like to see more testing, I do understand that there are a ton of cards, and it's not always easy to catch bugs. Also, I was just agreeing with SuperStone as your phrasing was a bit unclear and I wanted to clarify any confusion. 

Well even if the devs only looked at major cards, there are still too many to test reliably. While I would like to see more testing, I do understand that there are a ton of cards, and it's not always easy to catch bugs. Also, I was just agreeing with SuperStone as your phrasing was a bit unclear and I wanted to clarify any confusion. 

My only point is that sky field is used in so many decks. Their QA team must only consist of one or two people and their test cases must only need to use any cards they specifically worked on in the patch. ie new cards added from sets and or cards they attempted to fix bugs for (at least I hope, cause that would be bare minimum). Clearly they dont have a test server set up where they have a section of the community testing it. They should. People should be able to op into early builds. Or like wow does it, have a completely separate account that you cant spend money on or redeem codes, maybe give people with those accounts all the cards.

Actually yes, that is exactly what they should do. Have a beta client and beta patch accounts that people can sign up to. They would obviously have to limit the accounts, but lets say 5000 accounts. I dont know the size of PTCGO so what ever a reasonable number is. These accounts would have access to all cards and get early beta releases of builds. I would assume it would be PC only but perhaps they could get android or ios if the approval time on the apps is good enough. At least then people who like new features and just messing around with cards could use those accounts to help beta test patches so that people who just want to play the game would be able to without so many bugs wrecking their day.

Ideally, they would have automated tests.  Having users test would be more about gathering feedback, not checking for bugs.

Ideally, they would have automated tests.  Having users test would be more about gathering feedback, not checking for bugs.

Yes Those people are Beta Testers, People who are hired by the company to check for every bug in very nook and cranny. Giving this game for the public would generally be for feedback in how to improve the game, Beta testers also do this but they literally find every way to break teh game so that it doesn't happen upon release and can be fixed.

No. They don't have magic robots that can tell them what's wrong with their game. There might be some automatic checks but they would be very simple checks. They still need to have their quality assurance team actual go through test cases and then pass or fail the build. As Adhir1995 said these people normally work on the dev team. But they aren't necessarily called beta testers. They could divide the team into alpha and beta testers, but more likely the testers would run test cases on all levels of deployment. If it's a small dev team usually they skip hiring dedicated testers and just have the coders test themselves, which is even more of a reason to get a public test realm of sorts so that you can get the public to go through all the nooks and crannies of the code (usually just by playing normally) instead of the dev team trying to do an exhaustive test case.

Yes Those people are Beta Testers, People who are hired by the company to check for every bug in very nook and cranny. Giving this game for the public would generally be for feedback in how to improve the game, Beta testers also do this but they literally find every way to break teh game so that it doesn't happen upon release and can be fixed.

You both don't understand what a public test realm is used for. Yes, ptr's are used for getting feedback on the game. And that's what PTCGO would want. Feedback. Not only would it help on UI issues like that annoying coin flip animation. But that feedback includes feedback about BUGS! If they had a ptr they could have easily realized there was an issue with sky field without the general user base having to deal with it.

No. They don't have magic robots that can tell them what's wrong with their game.

LOL, wut?

In software engineering, it's quite common to write automated tests.  A good suite helps prevent the regressions that plague this game.

LOL, wut?

In software engineering, it's quite common to write automated tests.  A good suite helps prevent the regressions that plague this game.

You conveniently stopped the quote a bit early, eh? My next sentence said there are automated tests you can run to check for some things. But it's not a magic robot. Automatic tests can only check for simple things. I write software for a living. I actually know the life cycle of software development. If there existed a magic testing suite that could debug anyone's code perfectly then no one would need software testers. And a lot of people would be out of a job.

Archived