Psychic Standard Deck Opinions?

evolution380

Hi All,

So I've been playing around a lot with Standard Psychic decks just recently but a lot of them were full of Ex's and got a bit boring. I like the fun of spreading damage and using more tactics than soaking damage and dealing big damage hits and so far it's been quite effective.

So playing around I created the following deck, which personally I haven't seen before however I'm fairly new to this, been playing around 5 weeks now.

I'd love your comments / feedback good or bad in the second post I'm going to ***** list of my other Psychic Energy Type Pokemon I have available incase anyone thinks a couple of tweaks would be preferable as I'd be willing to clone the deck, amend and play it out :)

So here is an outline of my deck, not got access to the in play game at moment so can't post direct list.

2 x Alakazam Ex

2 x M Alakazam Ex

2 x Phantumb

2 x Trevenant

2 x Trevenant Break

2 x Pumpkaboo

2 x Gourgeist

2 x Gengar Ex

1 x Hoopa Ex (Scoundrel Ring)

1 x Gallade Ex

My thinking behind this combination is the following:

- Gourgeist and Trevenant / Break give good spread damage to the opponents pokemon, sharing damage rather than picking out an opponent pokemon one at a time. This gives good support to M Alakazam who can step in to play and pick off opponents active cards with one attack as a result.

- Gengar acts as support to both Alakazam and Gourgeist with his ability to spread
  damage where it's needed for M Alakazam or hit the pokemon with a poison attack and  

be switched with another pokemon such as Gourgeist.

- Alakazam / M Alakazam spread a touch more damage or finish off opponents
  pokemon which have been well set up to create a powerful zen force attack.

- Gourgeist could use Spirit Scream attack and reduce both active pokemon to 10HP. In  

this scenario the opponent pokemon would be knocked out upon change of turns with

poison damage. This could bring down big HP pokemon or be a critical strategy when

there are 2 prize cards left against a powerful EX pokemon.

- Hoopa allows me to dig out my ex pokemon to start setting them up ready for play. I  

can access this card through a good supporter card set-up. Yes I only have one in play

which if unfortunate as it could be in the prize cards, however I can live without this

ability if it doesn't show up. But if it does, it gets me off to a much stronger start. (For

some reason Hoopa is almost ALWAYS on my initial draw most times i play.

- Gallade again whilst I only have 1 it's just a bonus if this card is in my playable deck.

This will allow me to target the opponents pokemon as i please dependent on their

danger to my deck. If this pokemon is not obtainable throughout a game I have a

supporter card set-up to combat that.

Supporter Cards:

In total I have 30 supporter cards here are a few of the key ones:

Super Scoop Up:

Would be handy for Gourgeist to get a new lease of life rather than being discarded.

Float Stone:

This would be used in scenarios such as.

Gallade to switch the opponents active pokemon whilst getting some damage in. I could target a big HP card for instance or card with little energy. Float stone would then allow me to switch out to a suitable pokemon dependent on the stage of the game.

Lysandre:

This will allow me to pick out pokemon for zen attacks or spirit scream depending on current damage levels of pokemon. I can wear down the opponents big cards and control threat to my pokemon.

Alakazam Spirit Link & Devolution Spray:

I will utilise both the above in my deck, this then allows me to spread even more damage. If Trevenant Break is active and I evolve Alakazam I could potentially deal out
the following damage:

- Fifty damage to opponents active pokemon

- Sixty damage to one of benched pokemon

- Thirty damage to rest of pokemon.

If I have a devolution spray handy I can repeat this process each turn which will more than ready up M Alakazam to cause som HUGE damage.

Dimension Valley:

My supporters include a few of these to reduce my energy requirements.

Ultra Ball & Evosoda:

Few of these needed for obvious reasons to find and evolve pokemon.

Professors Letter & Super Rod:

For energy in my hand and replenishment of energy in my deck from my discard pile.

Mysterious Energy X 2 

To allow free retreat of pokemon.

I'd love to hear your comments / feedback good or bad as I'm sure there are flaws I've overlooked or experiences you may have discovered with similar decks yourself?

Available Psychic Pokemon I have to play in this form of deck:

Alakazam Ex

- Ability (When evolved put 2 damage counters on active pokemon and 3 on 1 of  
  opponents benched pokemon).

- Suppression ( Put 3 damage counters on each of your opponents pokemon that have  
  any energy attached to them).

M Alakazam Ex

- Zen Force (This attack does 30 more damage for each damage counter on your opponents active pokemon) Damage 10

Mewtwo Ex

- Shatter Shot  (This attack does 30 damage times the amount of psychic energy attached to this pokemon).

- Damage Change (Switch all damage counters on this pokemon with those on your opponents active pokemon.

M Mewtwo Ex

- Psychic Infinity  (This attack does 30 more damage times the amount of energy
  attached to both active pokemon) Damage 10

Gengarr Ex

- Night attack (Put 3 damage counters on 1 of your opponents pokemon)

- Dark Corridor (Your opponents active pokemon is now poisoned switch this pokemon 
  with 1 of your bench pokemon)

M Gengarr Ex

- Phantom Gate (Choose 1 of your opponents pokemon attacks and use it as this attack)

Toxicroak Ex

- Triple Poison (Opponents active pokemon is now poisoned, put 3 damage counters
  instead of one on that pokemon between turns.

- Smash Uppercut ( This attack's damage isn't affected by Resistance)

Gallade Ex:

- Swift Lunge (May switch opponents active with benched) 30 Damage

- Piercing Prizes ( 50 damage +20 damage for each of your prize cards remaining)

Hoopa Ex (Scoundrel Ring):

- Ability (When pokemon is played from bench to hand draw 3 x pokemon ex)

- Hyperspace Fury (Discard 2 x energy from this pokemon, inflict 100 damage to one of
  your opponents pokemon).

Hoopa Ex (Hyperspace Ring):

- Hyperspace Ring (Seach deck for 2 item cards and put them into your hand).

- Wondertrick (Your opponent switches his/her active pokemon with benched) 100
  Damage

Pumpkaboo:

- Ram (10 Damage)

- Night March ( 20 Damage x number of pokemon with night march attack in discard pile)

Gourgeist:

- Eerie Voice (Put 2 damage counters on each of your opponents pokemon)

- Spirit Scream ( Put damage counters on both Active pokemon until the remaining HP of 
  each is 10

Phantumb:

- Ascension (Search your deck for a card that evolves from this pokemon and put it onto 
  this pokemon.

Trevenant:

- Ability Forests Curse (As long as this pokemon is active your opponents can't play any
  item cards)

- Tree Slam (This attack does 20 damage to 2 of your opponents Benched Pokemon) 60
  Damage to active pokemon.

Trevenant Break:

- Silent fear ( Put 3 damage counters on each of your opponents Pokemon)

Just straight up Trevenant Break or Treveant Break/Alakazam works much better. Too many different attackers isn't helpful. 

I play:

4X3X3 Trevenant Break

2X2 Mega Alakazam

1 Wobuffette 

2 Shaymin-EX

Just straight up Trevenant Break or Treveant Break/Alakazam works much better. Too many different attackers isn't helpful. 

I play:

4X3X3 Trevenant Break

2X2 Mega Alakazam

1 Wobuffette 

2 Shaymin-EX

Thank you, I totally overlooked Wobuffet actually who works quite well with this strategy!

I'll try something similar based on cards I have I think I can try a

4x3x2 Trevenant Break (I'll have to get another break as I only have 2 currently)

2x2 or 3x3 Mega Alakazam

1 Wobuffette

1 Hoopa Ex (Hyperspace Ring) In place of a Shaymin EX as i only have one currently

1 Shaymin Ex

Thats my problem being new some times, I overlook certain ideal pokemon in place of Ex's as well as over complicating things.

I'll give it a whirl tonight! 

I agree with rgp, also, you might try the Crobat chain with Alakazam, Sneaky and Suprise ***** can get damage on very quickly. And if you like damage counters everywhere, I would recommend messing with Sinister Hand Dusknoir in expanded or legacy.

Edit: Censor censored out what you do with your mouth to food.

I agree with rgp, also, you might try the Crobat chain with Alakazam, Sneaky and Suprise ***** can get damage on very quickly. And if you like damage counters everywhere, I would recommend messing with Sinister Hand Dusknoir in expanded or legacy.

I'll have a look at bats too! Realised I actually have the wrong Shaymin so I'll have to work towards that!

Did as close to what I could with my deck and it seemed to work quite well though, until one game where I was just stuck, drawing Pokemon after Pokemon literally couldn't pull a supporter or energy from my deck. Shaymin would have came in handy! Or bats in that case I suppose!

I agree with rgp, too many evo lines reduce the deck's consistency, so I would certainly remove a fair few of the cards to improve :)

Happy battling!

I Played the following last night following your good advice...

4 x Phantump

3 x Trevenant (Item Lock)

3 x Trevenant Break

3 x Alakazam

2 x M Alakazam

1 x Wobufette

Love this deck so thanks for the help, it's much more enjoyable to play than loading up a bench full of ex's and eating all my available energy. It flows so well as well.

I played in a Standard Format tournaments last night once I'd got used to the deck and won all 3 games within 5minutes of playtime per game. 

I took one devastatingly easy loss though in a versus match, but it was literally 1 game loss out of about 10 and quite possibly the worse draws I have ever had, I couldn't pull an energy or a supporting card to re-load.

My main focus now is hunting for a Shaymin Ex (Set-Up) to complete this deck and once I have that I'll start over and try get a second one.

I think I will keep Hoopa Ex in though it works so well utilising 1 Ultra Ball which allows me to get M Alakazam readied up for action, with a spare alakazam on the bench. It allowed my other ultra balls to be used to obtain Trev Break which was so so easy to set-up in each game.

I think one game i just kept spreading damage but was talking to my opponent so fortunately he didn't quit, he also had a psychic deck and was practically helpless.

I got his M Mewtwo up to 160 Damage through Trevenant Break and some evolution and devolution of Alakazam I then switched to M Alakazam and used Zen Attack and got 960 damage for the last move of the game.

It shows just how powerful this deck can be when it plays well, think the most damage I've hit in one go previous to this was about 500.

I Played the following last night following your good advice...

4 x Phantump

3 x Trevenant (Item Lock)

3 x Trevenant Break

3 x Alakazam

2 x M Alakazam

1 x Wobufette

Love this deck so thanks for the help, it's much more enjoyable to play than loading up a bench full of ex's and eating all my available energy. It flows so well as well.

I played in a Standard Format tournaments last night once I'd got used to the deck and won all 3 games within 5minutes of playtime per game. 

I took one devastatingly easy loss though in a versus match, but it was literally 1 game loss out of about 10 and quite possibly the worse draws I have ever had, I couldn't pull an energy or a supporting card to re-load.

My main focus now is hunting for a Shaymin Ex (Set-Up) to complete this deck and once I have that I'll start over and try get a second one.

I think I will keep Hoopa Ex in though it works so well utilising 1 Ultra Ball which allows me to get M Alakazam readied up for action, with a spare alakazam on the bench. It allowed my other ultra balls to be used to obtain Trev Break which was so so easy to set-up in each game.

I think one game i just kept spreading damage but was talking to my opponent so fortunately he didn't quit, he also had a psychic deck and was practically helpless.

I got his M Mewtwo up to 160 Damage through Trevenant Break and some evolution and devolution of Alakazam I then switched to M Alakazam and used Zen Attack and got 960 damage for the last move of the game.

It shows just how powerful this deck can be when it plays well, think the most damage I've hit in one go previous to this was about 500.

That sounds pretty good! If your having trouble with Shaymins price, you can try an Octilery line. IMO it's better to go pure Trev, as the extra damage is not as important as you can then add more draw, as that is what's usually played, but again, that's just opinion. Also, Yvetal has been getting popular, your worst matchup by far. And if you have issues with Shaymin looping, make sure to have a decent N count or Headringer.

Archived