The Mindless Nonsense Begins-My Ideas

theotherguytm

I've been starting to really like something in the rouge style of: TapuKoko/Gengar/Garbotoxin...Along with Po Town/Wishful Baton/ maybe even a poison barb; Why worry about hitting high damage out puts like 250...when your critical number is only 30?

Just as long as this deck doesn't see any Rough Seas- it could sneak up on people.

Main issue with this deck is ensuring all opponents are damaged-even one slipping though the net is a disaster. Plus if your Gengar goes down, it's hard to quickly replace it. And bad news-Water decks are very popular right now, so Rough Seas is BIG. I do like the idea of Po town though. Thanks for sharing!

I'll skip the Worlds event report for now because I wanted to share something I concocted.

##Pokémon - 14

* 2 Charmander GEN 103 (Playful)

* 2 Charmeleon LTR 18 (Raging Claws)

* 1 Charizard-GX BUS 20

* 1 Houndoom-EX BKT 21

* 3 Durant BKP 9 (Scape Off)

* 1 Durant NVI 83 (Devour)

* 3 Mew-EX DRX 46

* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 39

* 4 Dimension Valley PHF 93

* 2 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99

* 1 Brigette BKT 134

* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

* 2 Professor Juniper DEX 98

* 3 Team Rocket's Handiwork FAC 112

* 2 Team Flare Grunt XY 129

* 1 Xerosic PHF 110

* 1 Field Blower GRI 125

* 3 Trick Shovel FLF 98

* 1 Plumeria BUS 120

* 2 N NVI 92

* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135

* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123

* 1 Ace Trainer AOR 69

* 2 Enhanced Hammer PHF 94

* 4 Crushing Hammer SUM 115

##Energy - 7

* 4 Rainbow Energy XY 131

* 3 Prism Energy NXD 93

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Analysis

This is my prototype mill deck. Built off the power of a nice little combo: Mew EX+ Rainbow Energy + Scape Off + Dim Valley = consistent 4 card discard for 1 Energy drop. Scrape Off only works when the user is damaged, but Rainbow Energy damages Mew EX while providing the Energy to use Scape Off with Dim Valley help. I built it for Expanded to avoid Gard GX and to use Dim Valley.

Charizard GX is the not-so-secret weapon of the deck, its GX attack discarding the top 10 cards of your opponent's deck. Intimidating your opponent with Charmander's Playful attack and Charmeleon's Raging Claws will keep them guessing when the Energy is going to hit Charizard and the Shrine of Memories will drop-except it never will, as Mew EX will use the GX attack for 2 Energy! Both can be still a useful last-minute gasp if key cards are in the Prizes, and discourage opponents from not 1HKOing Mew EX, making them build up enough Energy to be discarded! I don't run Rare Candy for this line to save space, and because I won't be needing Charizard until Turn 3/4/5.

The one issue is perhaps an over-focus on Supporter cards (is Plumeria and Xerosic really needed in the same deck? Only 2 Juniper?), and I forgot to add an Ace Spec. Still, the deck seems impressive enough for me.

So, what do you think? I'm as open to feedback as ever, and your thoughts are always welcome.

Edited by theotherguytm
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theotherguytm

• FlavorfulPineAp

• SuperStone

• Pika36521

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What can I say, some people think the old ways are best. And now, a deck that is 70% troll, and 100% fun! (If you have my slightly strange sense of humour...)     Analysis    

Hello all, The purpose of this topic is quite simple: to try and put the ideas I generate in my head down on paper where they can be discussed, and perhaps taken advantage of by someone with a much b

Inspired by my own idea: Vesp-Flareon-Talonflame   Talonflame is a very good card when it gets out. But when it does not, it is a waste of deck space. And even when it does work, 3 cards are left i

Untilitbreaks

I was thinking about Kiawe supporter. It is not limited to fire decks. Could you use it in any other deck? Maybe Kiawe + Smeargol + Battle compressor? Use Kiawe to attach fire energies,drop 3 energies into discard pile then use Smeargols ability to convert fire energies into energies from your discard pile.

theotherguytm

3001 Views!

I was thinking about Kiawe supporter. It is not limited to fire decks. Could you use it in any other deck? Maybe Kiawe + Smeargol + Battle compressor? Use Kiawe to attach fire energies,drop 3 energies into discard pile then use Smeargols ability to convert fire energies into energies from your discard pile.

Well, perhaps. But it is a little slow, so unless your deck mostly needed Colourless Energy, probably not.

In ten days, rough seas is GONE.   Just sayin'. :P

But it's making a big SPLASH while it can!

theotherguytm

So, my newest idea.

Binary Star

2 Solgeleo GX

3 Solgeleo

4 Cosmoem

4 Cosmog

1 Octillery

1 Remoraid

2 Alolan Vulpix

2 Tapu Lele GX

1 Cobalion

1 Dhelmise

4 Ultra Ball

2 Heavy Ball

4 Rare Candy

2 Field Blower

1 Super Rod

1 Rescue Stretcher

3 Assault Vest

1 Float Stone

4 Sycamore

4 N

3 Guzma

1 Brigette

9 Basic Metal

Analysis

So, the synergy between the Sun Pokémon and its GX speaks for itself. With Sol Burst GX to set up, Ultra Road allows you swap between Solgeleo and use Fangs of the Sunne every turn for 170 damage. With Dhelmise on the Bench, that's a 1HKO on any unfortunate Drampa that get on the receiving end. Not needing Choice Band to reach that figure allows for Assault Vest to be used. With Assault Vest, any Pokémon reliant on Special Energy (ie: all of the competitive ones right now) will struggle to take a 1HKO on the 160HP Sun Pokémon that hits like a GX. And should you run into any problems, Full Metal Burst for 230 is an easy KO on even an FFB'ed Zygarde.

The way I built this deck is similar to the way that Gardevoir decks are built, using Alolan Vulpix and Octillery to smooth out the setup, and running 4 Stage 1s and 4 Candies to give me maximum chance of setting up multiple Solgeleo. I also have access to Cobalion as an alternate pressure attacker, either stalling with Quick Guard or using Revenge Blast to 1HKO Alolan Vulpix and Ralts without needing to take a Prize. And naturally, late-game there are few Pokémon that don't fear its firepower.

Overall, this deck matches up surprisingly well with the many Metal Weak foes around, as well as being able to play against Trash due to Psychic Resistance.

So, what do you think? Your thoughts below!

FlavorfulPineAp

Latios w/ Poison Donk!

(#14)

3 Latios-EX RoS

4 Shaymin-EX RoS

3 Seviper BuS

4 Unown

(#43)

4 Plus Power

2 Hypnotoxic Laser

2 Virbank City Gym

4 Puzzle of Time

3 Rescue Stretcher

1 Dowsing Machine

2 Professor Kukui

4 Ultra Ball

2 Muscle Band   

4 Super Scoop Up

4 Acro Bike

4 Recycle

4 Roller Skates

1 Switch

2 Battle Compressor

(#3)

3 Psychic Energy

Latios Donk is back! (sorry for posting this in your thread theotherguytm) Hopefully go first and done your opponents with the combination of PlusPower, Muscle Band, and Seviper! This won't win many matches, but if you are looking for a fast ladder deck, then this is for you!

• Upvote 1
theotherguytm

Latios Donk is back! (sorry for posting this in your thread theotherguytm) 

No, that's fine, I'll only really object to a post here if the post has nothing to do with deckbuilding. And the idea is cool.

Latios Donk took a big hit without Forest, but your list seems to be ok.

Optimal output: 40+20(muscle)+10*4(PP)+20(Kukui)+30(Laserbank)+10*3(Seviper)=180 without reusing Pluspowers.

I've seen a few pure donk lists before (in the from of end DP-era Sabledonk), but not really with current cards.

Can't really think of anything missing, unless you count to ability to play a Turn 2, which some Donk decks can.

Although it does seem that since Laser is such a key part of your plan, it might be better to run 3? Perhaps dropping to 3 Unown or 2 Stretchers could facilitate that, but it would be more risky.

Any thoughts on my creations?

EDIT: Sorry that the Lele loan couldn't go through, but I think I'll be able to gather my own. Perhaps. If I actually get on the game rather than staring at the forums. :)

Edited by theotherguytm
  • Upvote 1
FlavorfulPineAp

Any thoughts on my creations?

EDIT: Sorry that the Lele loan couldn't go through, but I think I'll be able to gather my own. Perhaps. If I actually get on the game rather than staring at the forums. :)

I was short on time when I wrote this so sorry. Yeah, the bug was annoying, trading wouldn't work for 3 days after, but you haven't gotten a Lele yet? I also appear to be short on time, so I'll get back to this when I can.

theotherguytm

I was short on time when I wrote this so sorry. Yeah, the bug was annoying, trading wouldn't work for 3 days after, but you haven't gotten a Lele yet? I also appear to be short on time, so I'll get back to this when I can.

Not yet, but I only need a few more Burning Shadows. With the rotation so close, I think, I'll just not take your Lele.

As a side thought, I actually have 5 Colress, 3 tradeable, do you need one?

theotherguytm

I HAVE IT!!!!!

How to make to top tiers of the meta shudder with fear.

I give you:

​The Revenge of Mega Scizor

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******
##Pokémon - 15
* 1 Cobalion STS 74
* 3 Scizor-EX BKP 76
* 3 M Scizor-EX BKP 120
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 3 Trubbish BKP 56
* 1 Garbodor GRI 51
* 2 Garbodor BKP 57
##Trainer Cards - 37
* 3 Crushing Hammer EPO 92
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 2 Team Flare Grunt XY 129
* 1 Super Rod NVI 95
* 4 Scizor Spirit Link BKP 111
* 1 Skyla BKT 148
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 N NVI 92
* 2 Float Stone PLF 99
* 1 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Enhanced Hammer PHF 94
* 4 Professor Sycamore PHF 101
* 1 Professor Kukui SUM 128
* 2 Altar of the Sunne GRI 118
##Energy - 8
* 7 Metal Energy  8
* 1 Rainbow Energy XY 131
Total Cards - 60
****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Yes, this is how I plan to take the fight to Gardevoir GX. With the taste of Metal and Energy-hate! The deckplan hasn't changed a lot since the start of last season, but now Hoopa EX is no longer Standard, it may be a little tougher to go through the deck and pull together the cards that are needed. But this deck has a few changes in it's favour.

The Weakness of Gard GX is the first thing that makes this deck powerful. Being able to 1HKO a GX for 2 Energy is big deal. Then Gard needs 6 Energy (or 5 with CB) to do a 1HKO in return. And putting that amount of Energy into play early on is a problem when the opponent is playing Hammers. Garbodor can also shut off Secret Spring, forcing even more time to be taken up by powering backup attackers.

Another great thing about this deck is the matchup with Drampador. Drampa GX will struggle to fight Mega Scizor as it discards all its Energy, and Trash needs 11 Items discarded with a CB for the 1HKO, which Scizor can easily do without outside help. Espeon isn't much better off, with Psybeam being easily countered by Acerola and Guzma, which allows the Basic Scizor EX to hit for 110 damage for 2 Energy, First Impression style.

The three matchups I'm slightly worried by are Metagross GX, Volcanion and Darkness, because they don't use a lot of Special Energies. Metagross's Ability can be handled by Garbotoxin, but getting any damage on the board and making it stick is going to be hard work. At least Metagross can't get 1HKOs either, and Kukui boosts damage just enough for the 2HKO. Volcanion can overrun this deck, but I've added Altar of the Sunne to help stop the wipe-out. To make it stick, all the opposing Field Blowers must be used targeting Float Stones on Garbodor, and Iron Crusher must constantly discard Brooklet Hills. Trash is also in the deck as an emergency option. For Darkness, Crushing Hammer and Team Flare Grunt must discard enough Energy to keep Dark Pulse from the 1HKO range while Iron Crusher sends out 2HKOs. As a last resort, Cobalion can help with this, doing plenty of damage to take out a E/GX with a Choice Band at the end of the game, or using Quick Guard to stall at the start. It can also take a Vulpix easily at the start of the game, allowing a quick prize to be taken without exposing Scizor to unnecessary risk.

So, what do you think? Could it be a contender, or is there a large hole somewhere in my plan? Your thoughts below!

Edited by theotherguytm
SuperStone

I definitely agree that Garde could make this a good tier 2-3 deck.  But dang, those Volcs are going to screw the plan so deep in the woodwork you'll wonder how they find a screwdriver long enough. :P  I think it will be a very risky play, at least without a tech water attacker (ninetales, maybe?), but risks can pay off.  Definitely a thread to be ready for at Regionals.  Garde; beware.

• Upvote 1
theotherguytm

I definitely agree that Garde could make this a good tier 2-3 deck.  But dang, those Volcs are going to screw the plan so deep in the woodwork you'll wonder how they find a screwdriver long enough. :P  I think it will be a very risky play, at least without a tech water attacker (ninetales, maybe?), but risks can pay off.  Definitely a thread to be ready for at Regionals.  Garde; beware.

Like I said, the key to the matchup will be using Altar of the Sunne correctly and discarding Stadiums with Iron Crusher every time you get the chance. Though Alolan Nintales GX might actually fit quite nicely into the deck, especially if I'm running Alolan Vulpix (I'm not in this list but you get the idea).

theotherguytm

Just going to quickly share another idea. For Expanded. A deck that aims to counter everything.

##Pokémon - 23
* 3 Eevee PLF 90
* 1 Shaymin-EX ROS 106
* 2 Yveltal BREAK STS 66
* 2 Yveltal BKT 94
* 2 Yveltal XY 78
* 1 Zoroark BREAK BKT 92
* 2 Zorua DEX 69
* 2 Zoroark BKT 91
* 2 Flareon PLF 12
* 2 Leafeon PLF 11
* 1 Jolteon AOR 26
* 1 Giratina PR-XY XY184
* 1 Oricorio GRI 56
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
##Trainer Cards - 27
* 3 Professor Sycamore PHF 101
* 3 N NVI 92
* 4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
* 2 Lysandre FLF 90
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 1 Super Rod NVI 95
* 1 Teammates PRC 141
* 1 Wally ROS 94
* 2 Hex Maniac AOR 75
* 1 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124
* 1 Life Dew PLF 107
##Energy - 10
* 8 Darkness Energy XYEnergy 1
* 2 Double Colorless Energy EVO 90
Total Cards - 60

Well, this deck aims to counter everything. And possibly fails. But I'll round up quickly what counters what.

• Night March-Oricorio, Yveltal(both), Enhanced Hammer
  • Mega Ray-Zoroark, E. Ham, Life Dew, Jolteon
  • Maxie's Y-E. Ham, Life Dew, Jolteon, Zoroark BREAK, Leafeon
  • Primal Groudon-Leafeon, Zoroark BREAK, Yveltal(FN)
  • Greninja-Giratina, N, Leafeon, Zoroark BREAK
  • Trev-Giratina, Lysandre/Guzma, Hex Maniac, Yveltal(both), Yveltal BREAK
  • Toad-Leafeon

So, pretty much, the only problem with this deck will be trying to keep everything from falling apart, and keeping all the different Pokémon in check. Ross Cawthon made Top 4 with Vesp-Yveltal in 2016. This deck tries to follow that example of counter-meta and keeping lots of options in the deck.

FlavorfulPineAp

Just going to quickly share another idea. For Expanded. A deck that aims to counter everything.

##Pokémon - 23
* 3 Eevee PLF 90

* 1 Shaymin-EX ROS 106

* 2 Yveltal BREAK STS 66

* 2 Yveltal BKT 94

* 2 Yveltal XY 78

* 1 Zoroark BREAK BKT 92

* 2 Zorua DEX 69

* 2 Zoroark BKT 91

* 2 Flareon PLF 12

* 2 Leafeon PLF 11

* 1 Jolteon AOR 26

* 1 Giratina PR-XY XY184

* 1 Oricorio GRI 56

* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 27
* 3 Professor Sycamore PHF 101

* 3 N NVI 92

* 4 Ultra Ball DEX 102

* 2 Lysandre FLF 90

* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

* 2 Trainers' Mail ROS 92

* 1 Super Rod NVI 95

* 1 Teammates PRC 141

* 1 Wally ROS 94

* 2 Hex Maniac AOR 75

* 1 Guzma BUS 115

* 1 Field Blower GRI 125

* 1 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124

* 1 Life Dew PLF 107

##Energy - 10
* 8 Darkness Energy XYEnergy 1

* 2 Double Colorless Energy EVO 90

Total Cards - 60

Well, this deck aims to counter everything. And possibly fails. But I'll round up quickly what counters what.

• Night March-Oricorio, Yveltal(both), Enhanced Hammer
  • Mega Ray-Zoroark, E. Ham, Life Dew, Jolteon
  • Maxie's Y-E. Ham, Life Dew, Jolteon, Zoroark BREAK, Leafeon
  • Primal Groudon-Leafeon, Zoroark BREAK, Yveltal(FN)
  • Greninja-Giratina, N, Leafeon, Zoroark BREAK
  • Trev-Giratina, Lysandre/Guzma, Hex Maniac, Yveltal(both), Yveltal BREAK
  • Toad-Leafeon

So, pretty much, the only problem with this deck will be trying to keep everything from falling apart, and keeping all the different Pokémon in check. Ross Cawthon made Top 4 with Vesp-Yveltal in 2016. This deck tries to follow that example of counter-meta and keeping lots of options in the deck.

[/spoiler

What the....

It looks hard to power up Yveltal BREAK, needing 3 (D) energies. There is also a Zoroark (from Black&White, I believe) that has the same move as Zoroark BREAK. This deck looks like it'll be fun to play, but it also looks very clunky and would probably fail over half the time. 

theotherguytm

What the....

It looks hard to power up Yveltal BREAK, needing 3 (D) energies. There is also a Zoroark (from Black&White, I believe) that has the same move as Zoroark BREAK. This deck looks like it'll be fun to play, but it also looks very clunky and would probably fail over half the time. 

The Y Break is in the deck mostly for the extra HP and the option of a big attack.

The BW Zoroark does not have Mind Jack, Stand In or 140HP, and its other attack is non-damaging.

I think I should probably add some Compressors, because then I could discard whatever I didn't need for any given matchup.

The idea is to pick your attacker from a wide selection based on whatever your opponent throws at you.

And yeh, it may clunk a lot.

But then, you can say the same about a lot of my creations. :) 

And, like you say, it will be fun to play.

• Upvote 1
FlavorfulPineAp

The Y Break is in the deck mostly for the extra HP and the option of a big attack.

The BW Zoroark does not have Mind Jack, Stand In or 140HP, and its other attack is non-damaging.

I think I should probably add some Compressors, because then I could discard whatever I didn't need for any given matchup.

The idea is to pick your attacker from a wide selection based on whatever your opponent throws at you.

And yeh, it may clunk a lot.

But then, you can say the same about a lot of my creations. :)

And, like you say, it will be fun to play.

I only mentioned that Zoroark because it has Foul Play.

theotherguytm

So, here's another quick idea.

* 1 Bouffalant BLW 91
* 1 Drampa-GX GRI 115
* 1 Lugia-EX AOR 68
* 1 Regigigas-EX NXD 82
* 1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 1 Tauros-GX SUM 100
* 1 Druddigon STS 83
* 1 Clefairy EVO 63
* 4 Marshadow-GX BUS 80
* 1 Turtonator-GX GRI 18
* 1 Pinsir SUM 6
* 1 Rotom FAC 24
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM30
* 1 Jirachi PR-XY XY67
* 1 Registeel-EX DRX 81
* 1 Skarmory SUM 88
* 1 Deoxys ROS 33
* 1 Espeon-EX BKP 52
* 1 Necrozma-GX BUS 63
* 1 Oricorio GRI 56
* 1 Sigilyph EPO 42
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Toxicroak-EX FLF 41
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 1 Kyurem-EX PLB 30
* 1 Seismitoad-EX FFI 20

This is my shortlist for Pokémon to include in a Marshdow GX deck. All of them have good attacks that only cost Colourless Energy to use. Some (Lugia EX) are better than others (Skarmory), but all could potentially be useful with a few Battle Compressors and Strong Energies. And this is not counting the vast amount of Pokémon that could be included with some Prism Energy too.

Sorry this is so short, but I am very busy right now.
Share any of your thoughts on this or anything else below!
theotherguytm

Another quick post. You may remeber when I posted a couple of game logs, using my deck designed to deck itself out, using the Expanded format and no E/GXs.

Well, I managed to deck out, in one turn of play!

Decklist:

##Pokémon - 3
* 3 Entei AOR 14
##Trainer Cards - 51
* 2 Bicycle PLS 117 (Would add more if I had more)
* 3 Pokédex EVO 82 (Space-filler that turned out to be useful for Bike combos)
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 4 Professor's Letter XY 123
* 4 Acro Bike PRC 122
* 4 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
* 3 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
* 1 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 4 Random Receiver FAC 109
* 3 Scorched Earth FAC 110
* 2 Paint Roller AOR 79
* 4 Roller Skates PHF 103
* 1 Town Map BCR 136 (So I can understand why I failed)
* 3 Fiery Torch FLF 89
* 1 Energy Retrieval EVO 77
* 4 Professor Sycamore PHF 101
##Energy - 6
* 6 Fire Energy XYEnergy 4
Total Cards - 60

Gamelog (VS AI):

Game Log Output Begins Here:
    1. It is now Rika's turn (Turn #1).
    2. theotherguytm drew Trainers' Mail.
    3. Rika drew a card.
    4. theotherguytm drew Scorched Earth.
    5. Rika drew a card.
    6. theotherguytm drew Roller Skates.
    7. Rika drew a card.
    8. theotherguytm drew Professor's Letter.
    9. Rika drew a card.
    10. theotherguytm drew Pokédex.
    11. Rika drew a card.
    12. theotherguytm drew Paint Roller.
    13. Rika drew a card.
    14. theotherguytm drew Lucky Helmet.
    15. Rika drew a card.
    16. theotherguytm drew Entei.
    17. theotherguytm drew Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear.
    18. theotherguytm drew Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear.
    19. theotherguytm drew Pokédex.
    20. theotherguytm drew Trainers' Mail.
    21. theotherguytm drew Acro Bike.
    22. theotherguytm drew Pokédex.
    23. Entei became theotherguytm's new Active Pokémon.
    24. Rika drew a card.
    39. It is now theotherguytm's turn (Turn #2).
    40. theotherguytm drew Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear.
    41. theotherguytm played Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear.
    42. theotherguytm played Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear.
    43. theotherguytm played Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear.
    44. theotherguytm played Pokédex.
    45. theotherguytm played Acro Bike.
    46. theotherguytm drew Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear.
    47. theotherguytm played Pokédex.
    48. theotherguytm played Trainers' Mail.
    49. theotherguytm drew Professor Sycamore.
    50. theotherguytm played Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear.
    51. theotherguytm played Professor Sycamore. (managed to play my entire hand!)
    52. theotherguytm drew Scorched Earth.
    53. theotherguytm drew Fiery Torch.
    54. theotherguytm drew Trainers' Mail.
    55. theotherguytm drew Fire Energy.
    56. theotherguytm drew Professor's Letter.
    57. theotherguytm drew Bicycle.
    58. theotherguytm drew Fire Energy.
    59. theotherguytm played Scorched Earth.
    60. theotherguytm played Trainers' Mail.
    61. theotherguytm drew Acro Bike.
    62. theotherguytm played Fiery Torch.
    63. theotherguytm drew Lucky Helmet.
    64. theotherguytm drew Fiery Torch.
    65. theotherguytm attached a Lucky Helmet to Entei.
    66. theotherguytm played Fiery Torch.
    67. theotherguytm drew Energy Retrieval.
    68. theotherguytm drew Roller Skates.
    69. theotherguytm played Roller Skates.
    70. theotherguytm flipped 1 coin(s), resulting in 0 heads and 1 tails, for Roller Skates.
    71. theotherguytm played Acro Bike.
    72. theotherguytm drew Acro Bike.
    73. theotherguytm played Acro Bike.
    74. theotherguytm drew Entei.
    75. theotherguytm put Entei onto the Bench.
    76. theotherguytm played Professor's Letter.
    77. theotherguytm drew Fire Energy.
    78. theotherguytm played Scorched Earth.
    79. theotherguytm drew Trainers' Mail.
    80. theotherguytm drew Fiery Torch.
    81. theotherguytm played Trainers' Mail.
    82. theotherguytm drew Paint Roller.
    83. theotherguytm played Paint Roller.
    84. theotherguytm drew Fire Energy.
    85. theotherguytm played Fiery Torch.
    86. theotherguytm drew Scorched Earth.
    87. theotherguytm drew Puzzle of Time.
    88. theotherguytm played Puzzle of Time.
    89. theotherguytm played Puzzle of Time.
    90. theotherguytm played Bicycle.
    91. theotherguytm drew Acro Bike.
    92. theotherguytm drew Pokédex.
    93. theotherguytm played Pokédex.
    94. theotherguytm played Acro Bike.
    95. theotherguytm drew Roller Skates.
    96. theotherguytm played Roller Skates.
    97. theotherguytm flipped 1 coin(s), resulting in 1 heads and 0 tails, for Roller Skates. (YESSSSSS!!!)
    98. theotherguytm drew Town Map.
    99. theotherguytm drew Trainers' Mail.
    100. theotherguytm drew Fire Energy.
    101. theotherguytm played Trainers' Mail.
    102. theotherguytm drew Professor's Letter. (Last card in deck gone!)
    103. theotherguytm played Town Map.
    104. theotherguytm attached a Fire Energy to Entei. (Not even needed in the end!)
    105. theotherguytm's Entei used its Burning Roar attack.
    106. It is now Rika's turn (Turn #3).
(Skip rest as irrelevant)
Game Log Output Ends Here

Well... what do you think? Post your thoughts on this or anything else below!

Next time: Guest starring: The Deck Wizard!

SuperStone

Another quick post. You may remeber when I posted a couple of game logs, using my deck designed to deck itself out, using the Expanded format and no E/GXs.

Well, I managed to deck out, in one turn of play!

Well... what do you think? Post your thoughts on this or anything else below!

Next time: Guest starring: The Deck Wizard!

(starts chanting) Mi-ick!  Mi-ick! Mi-ick!

theotherguytm

(starts chanting) Mi-ick! Mi-ick! Mi-ick!

Mick is actually one of the tougher opponents in the TC, due to Battle Reporter actually working against the current theme meta, and Blacksmith.

So, I decided to ask the Deck Wizard to help me out with my deckbuilding! First I asked it to create an Expanded deck built around the classic combo of Toad and Slurpuff Tasting. I have 2 of each card, so let's see how it did!

##Pokémon - 20

* 1 Dragonite-EX EVO 106

* 1 Ho-Oh-EX BKP 92

* 1 Lugia-EX AOR 68

* 1 Shaymin-EX ROS 106

* 1 Tornadus-EX DEX 108

* 1 Diancie-EX FAC 72

* 3 Swirlix PHF 68

* 1 Slurpuff XY 95

* 2 Slurpuff PHF 69

* 1 Blastoise-EX EVO 21

* 2 Keldeo-EX BCR 49

* 1 Kyogre-EX PRC 54

* 1 Primal Kyogre-EX PRC 55

* 2 Seismitoad-EX FFI 20

* 1 Volcanion-EX STS 26

##Trainer Cards - 20

* 2 Skyarrow Bridge NXD 91

* 1 Robo Substitute Team Flare Gear PHF 102

* 1 Team Flare Grunt XY 129

* 1 Hala GRI 126

* 4 Potion KSS 37

* 2 Bent Spoon FAC 93

* 1 Choice Band GRI 121

* 1 Archie's Ace in the Hole PRC 124

* 4 Ultra Ball ROS 93

* 3 Cilan NXD 86

##Energy - 20

* 6 Fairy Energy Energy 9

* 12 Water Energy Energy 3

* 2 Fire Energy Energy 2

Total Cards - 60

Well, it did quite well in a few areas. It ran the XY Slurpuff for a 3-3 line and Fairy Energy to go with it. It also ran my 2 Keldeo, my Shay, and my Lugia EX. The Potions worked reasonably well with Grenade Hammer in AI testing, and 4 Ultra Ball in a Wizard deck is a good result. However, the usual 20-20-20 ratio went about as well as you might think. Primal Kyogre, Volcanion and Ho-Oh were useless, Blastiose, Diancie and Tornadus were just terrible but playable, and 3 Cilan as the main draw Support? Oh dear. I'm not going to mention the random Fire Energy, because that sums up the Deck Wizard and Dual types.

Next, I asked for a Standard deck around the Double Volcs. I have 3 babies, but only one Volcanion EX. How did it do?

##Pokémon - 20

* 1 Dragonite-EX EVO 106

* 2 Fletchling ROS 82

* 2 Fletchinder STS 95

* 2 Talonflame STS 96

* 1 Ho-Oh-EX BKP 92

* 1 Pidgeot-EX EVO 104

* 1 Smeargle BKT 123

* 2 Emboar-EX BKP 14

* 3 Volcanion STS 25

* 1 Blastoise-EX EVO 21

* 1 Vanillite BKT 43

* 1 Vanillish BKT 44

* 1 Vanilluxe BKT 45

* 1 Volcanion-EX STS 26

##Trainer Cards - 20

* 3 Energy Retrieval PLB 80

* 2 Aether Paradise Conservation Area GRI 116

* 2 Poké Ball KSS 35

* 4 Potion KSS 37

* 2 Bent Spoon FAC 93

* 3 Judge BKT 143

* 1 Weakness Policy PRC 142

* 3 Tierno PHF 107

##Energy - 20

* 7 Water Energy Energy 3

* 13 Fire Energy Energy 2

Total Cards - 60

Well, the Water lines were uncalled for. It seems to be obsessed with Ho-Oh, regardless of whether it can attack or not. And it didn't use my Lele. 2 Poke ******* Judge and 3 Tierno sum this deck up. I actually nearly lost with this deck against the AI. Brittney's Pyroar nearly destroyed my deck, but because she discarded every time she attacked, I had enough time to fetch Talonflame and KO it with Aero Blitz. And why is APCA in the deck?????

Finally, I asked for a Zybink Standard. I have only one Zy, and no Bink BREAK, so this was bound to end in tears...

##Pokémon - 20

* 1 Dragonite-EX EVO 106

* 1 Ho-Oh-EX BKP 92

* 1 Meowth BUS 101

* 1 Persian STS 89

* 1 Pidgeot-EX EVO 104

* 1 Whismur FAC 80

* 1 Loudred FAC 81

* 1 Exploud FAC 82

* 4 Carbink FAC 50

* 1 Marowak BREAK BKT 79

* 1 Cubone BKT 77

* 1 Marowak FAC 37

* 1 Machop EVO 57

* 1 Machoke EVO 58

* 1 Machamp FFI 46

* 1 Regirock-EX FAC 43

* 1 Zygarde-EX FAC 54

##Trainer Cards - 20

* 3 Lillie SUM 122

* 2 Heavy Boots BKT 141

* 3 Shauna PHF 104

* 3 Max Elixir BKP 102

* 4 Switch ROS 91

* 2 Energy Switch BLW 94

* 1 Exp. Share NXD 87

* 2 Altar of the Sunne GRI 118

##Energy - 20

* 1 Water Energy Energy 3

* 18 Fighting Energy Energy 6

* 1 Grass Energy Energy 1

Total Cards - 60

You want an explanation of why new players are so bad at deckbuilding? Here you go. The Deck Wizard has utterly failed to produce anything worthy of the name "deck". Random single Energies, Ho-Oh EX, three ​1-1-1 lines (how did it do that bad?!), Altar of the Sunne and Heavy Boots that work for 4 Pokémon in the deck. When testing, I got two Dragonite starts in a row, and won with Hyper Beam both times (with Regirock backup second time round). The 3 Shauna and Lillie, together with the Elixir/Switch/Energy Switch combos (that I never got to use due to only having one Pokémon out) give the Trainer lines some redeeming features, but that's as far as it goes. And no Lele for the third time.

So, overall, the Wizard gets 2/10 on the Newb Deck Scale (sponsored by the Broken One-turning even Newb Decks into meta). It either needs to be improved drastically or removed altogether.

What are your thoughts on this, or anything else?

Next Time: Meta shifts in Expanded!

• Upvote 1
theotherguytm

And so, the latest from the Expanded meta. There've been no major Expanded tournaments since GR was released, so how have 2 expansions changed the meta?

Using Top 8 Masters and Top 4 Seniors and Juniors:

NM-2 (Masters Champion)

Volcanion-1 (Masters runner-up)

DoubleDarkrai-5 (Junior Champion, Senior and Junior runner-up)

Golisodor-3

Gard GX-1

Y-Toad-1

ToolTrash-1 (Senior Champion)

Greninja BREAK-1

WaterBox-1

Analysis

Expanded looks a new format without Forest and Archeops. Maxie's Y, Primal Groudon, Mega Ray, Vileplume, all now relics from a bygone era. But one deck has remained constant. After everyone had counted it down for the count.

Night March. Still winning. WE NIGHT MARCH ON!!

Dowsing Machine now appears to be almost as widely used as Computer Search. The Ace Spec Count:

Computer-8

Dowsing-6

Scoop-2

Interestingly, out of the finalists, only the Junior Division winners and runners-up were without Computer Search, and it was used by every Top 4 Senior player. But in the Juniors, not one Comp Search user made Top 4. And not one Life Dew in sight.

Guzma and Lysandre are proving hard to choose from-most players now are running one of each. But whenever a player has shown a preference, it's for Guzma.

Shaymin EX still is featuring predominantly on most traditional Expanded decks like Darkness and NM, with Tapu Lele making a very small showing. But among most of the Standard-based archetypes, Lele was preferred by a wide margin, with many players leaving out Shaymin altogether.

Other lessons to learn:

• Double/Triple Dark is the deck to beat right now.
  • Tool Drop and Trash fit together nicely-even to the point where other attackers may not be necessary.
  • Don't write off Plasma Supporters: Almost every deck used either Colress or Ghetsis.
  • Night March can beat Karen.
  • Trashpod/Golisodor was not a one-time deck at Worlds. Stay tuned...
  • Volcanion can compete in Expanded, even if it means running 16 Energy.
  • Stage 2s can be viable in Expanded.
  • Muscle Band and Escape Rope can still be useful.

Lastly, is Item lock done for? With Trev falling away from the top tiers, Vileplume invalidated, and Toad being less and less as a standalone deck, could we be free from Item lock at long last?!

And so, the latest from the Expanded meta. There've been no major Expanded tournaments since GR was released, so how have 2 expansions changed the meta?

Using Top 8 Masters and Top 4 Seniors and Juniors:

NM-2 (Masters Champion)

Volcanion-1 (Masters runner-up)

DoubleDarkrai-5 (Junior Champion, Senior and Junior runner-up)

Golisodor-3

Gard GX-1

Y-Toad-1

ToolTrash-1 (Senior Champion)

Greninja BREAK-1

WaterBox-1

Analysis

Expanded looks a new format without Forest and Archeops. Maxie's Y, Primal Groudon, Mega Ray, Vileplume, all now relics from a bygone era. But one deck has remained constant. After everyone had counted it down for the count.

Night March. Still winning. WE NIGHT MARCH ON!!

Dowsing Machine now appears to be almost as widely used as Computer Search. The Ace Spec Count:

Computer-8

Dowsing-6

Scoop-2

Interestingly, out of the finalists, only the Junior Division winners and runners-up were without Computer Search, and it was used by every Top 4 Senior player. But in the Juniors, not one Comp Search user made Top 4. And not one Life Dew in sight.

Guzma and Lysandre are proving hard to choose from-most players now are running one of each. But whenever a player has shown a preference, it's for Guzma.

Shaymin EX still is featuring predominantly on most traditional Expanded decks like Darkness and NM, with Tapu Lele making a very small showing. But among most of the Standard-based archetypes, Lele was preferred by a wide margin, with many players leaving out Shaymin altogether.

Other lessons to learn:

• Double/Triple Dark is the deck to beat right now.
  • Tool Drop and Trash fit together nicely-even to the point where other attackers may not be necessary.
  • Don't write off Plasma Supporters: Almost every deck used either Colress or Ghetsis.
  • Night March can beat Karen.
  • Trashpod/Golisodor was not a one-time deck at Worlds. Stay tuned...
  • Volcanion can compete in Expanded, even if it means running 16 Energy.
  • Stage 2s can be viable in Expanded.
  • Muscle Band and Escape Rope can still be useful.

Lastly, is Item lock done for? With Trev falling away from the top tiers, Vileplume invalidated, and Toad being less and less as a standalone deck, could we be free from Item lock at long last?!

imo ppl dont bring trev because of the hopeless matchs vs dark and based on the stat dark was pretty common 

theotherguytm

imo ppl dont bring trev because of the hopeless matchs vs dark and based on the stat dark was pretty common

Well, Dark decks have always been T1 and very common in Expanded, but Trev was still used.

I think it's down to a different deck: Trash.

Since Trash made the jump to Expanded, people will be getting less and less reliant on Item cards, which also reduces the effectiveness of Item lock.

And the first Standard event of the new season! Any surprises?

Only Masters Division results available.

​Trashpod-2 (Champion)

​Drampa-Espeodor-1 (runner-up)

​Drampador-1

​Ho-Oh Firebox-1

​Garde GX-1

​VikaBulu-1

Xerneas BREAK

Analysis

​Well, the start of another new season, with another Top 4 lockout for a deck. Trash wins again in the new rotation. But more than a few surprises in how decks have changed came up.

• ​Max Elixir is back?!
  • Choice Band is an important staple to this year's decks-all ran at least 2, and 4 decks ran the full 4.
  • Float Stone is the number 2 Tool, also at 4 for Trash decks, but less common elsewhere.
  • People who thought 3 Guzma was the way to go in all decks may want to reconsider-the only decks where 4 was not played were the 2 Fairy decks.
  • 2 Field Blower appears to be the way to go, but if you're focussed on Abilities, you may need 3. On the contrary, if you're content to play against Garbotoxin, you may not need it.
  • Is Espeon EX the new breakout star? Combos nicely with Po Town and Espeon GX, and counters Rare Candies.
  • Mew helps VikaBulu-2 Mew takes the deck on par with the best. No need for Alolan Vulpix.
  • 1 Brigette is the way, even without VS Seekers. Unless you're really scared of the Prizes, or playing 3 Kiawe.
  • Ultra Ball is still needed at 4. No questions.
  • 3 Lele seems to be the consensus.
  • Volc and Turton GX relegated to one copy, with Volc EX at 2, to make way for 4 Ho-Oh GX and Salazzle GX.
  • Even a 1-1 Espeon GX can work. In the same deck as Drampa.
  • Don't underestimate running 2 Acerola.
  • Xerneas BREAK could be your deck if you're fed up of having 15+ Pokémon in one deck, and want to run 15 Energy instead. Keep it simple-a 4-3 attacker who also does setup, 3 support Leles and one N-guard.

Your thoughts below!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey theotherguytm,

Could you build the best deck with Sun and Moon era only cards (SM -> BuS) that you can think of?

That would be great, I have a tourney to win :) 

theotherguytm

Hey theotherguytm,

Could you build the best deck with Sun and Moon era only cards (SM -> BuS) that you can think of?

That would be great, I have a tourney to win :) 

Wow, me? :) 

I was actually thinking of joining myself, but the issue is that I am not sure if I am on consistently enough, so might have to drop out or something.

Anyway, it might be something a bit left-field, you have been warned...

Just say if you would prefer something more meta.