The Mindless Nonsense Begins-My Ideas

theotherguytm

And now, a double event report! Well, I only have the Masters Division from Birmingham, but it will do.

Birmingham

Gyarados** - 1 (Champion)
Zoroark-Drampa* - 1 (runner-up)
Vikavolt-Tapu Bulu* - 1
Alolan Ninetales - 2
TurboDark - 2
Drampador - 1

Madison

Vespark - 2 (Masters Champion)
Metagross* - 2 (Masters and Seniors runner-up)
Zoroark-Drampa* - 1
Espeon Trash - 1
Vileye - 1
Volcanion - 3
Vikavolt-Tapu Bulu* - 2
Drampador - 6 (Seniors and Juniors Champion)
Mega Ray - 2
Greninja - 1 (Juniors runner-up)
Umbreon-GX-Zoroark* - 1
Lycanrock-Carbink - 1
Lurantis-Tapu Bulu* - 1
(Overall Trash - 7, Overall Zoroark - 2)(* indicates new decks, ** means existing deck, but given key new cards in latest expansion, making it viable.)

​Analysis

Well, at least this time round, the non-Trash decks put up a fight. Not one Drampador deck made Top 8 in the Madison Masters, despite it running away with the other two divisions.

Vesp is back. No doubts. Even in a field where Karen saw plenty of play, Vesp seemed more than well equipped enough to bring the fight to the top decks. Using Forest and a stripped-down Supporter list to cause havoc right from the first attack gave a lot of decks too many problems, especially with the slower Stage 2s taking over. And even should they get set up, Lysandre out one of the many Tapu Lele or a Shaymin for an easy(er) two prizes. Keep an eye out for Vesp if you think you might start with only one Pokémon.

Did I say Stage 2s taking over? Well, with an enforced slower meta, Stage 2s have time to get set up. Metagross can set itself up with Algorithm GX (or at least force an N) while using Geotech System to boost Energy supplies. The two problems with the deck are with Giga Hammer. Dhelmise, Kukui and Choice Band solve the lack of EX 1HKO power, and the attack restriction just seems to be solved by good-old fashioned retreating, and using Geotech System to repower. Alolan Vulpix allows the deck to play Itemless against Garbodor, and Max Potion turns a nice concept into a terrifying foe, making Metagross near-immortal.

And then there's Vikavolt. I said someone might find a use for it. I thought I had with my Cradily/Dragonite concept. But this is just scary. Its Ability allows Tapu Bulu GX to set up extremely fast. And should it choose to discard all its Energy with that second attack, Strong Charge loads it up again. But, even more surprising, it turns out Vikavolt is no Benchwarmer. Drop a Choice Band, watch those GXs go flying, and Strong Charge will quickly reload it. And should you run short on Energy, just drop a Brock's Grit or Energy Recycler. And to cap it off, Tapu Bulu GX can even fully heal itself while 1HKOing GXs without the need for reloading through a Choice-powered GX attack. Add some more on the Lightning side like Raikou or Tapu Koko GX... watch this space.

Other highlights:

• Mega Ray combines Unown and Mallow to cherry-pick cards.
  • Gyarados uses Rescue Stretcher and Machoke to climb to the top.
  • A new version of TurboDark with 15 Energy?! And 4 Exp. Share. With only 2 VS Seekers.
  • Zoroark BREAK hits for the big time, backed up by a lot of damage boosters.
  • Volcanion runs Brooklet Hill (Told you so!) and Starmie.
  • The Pokémon database's lack of updates to the promos becomes embarrassing as Tapu Koko/Bulu GX and Giratina alike fail to be shown on the online decklists.

Any thoughts on this or anything else is always welcome!

Edited by theotherguytm
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theotherguytm

• FlavorfulPineAp

• SuperStone

• Pika36521

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What can I say, some people think the old ways are best. And now, a deck that is 70% troll, and 100% fun! (If you have my slightly strange sense of humour...)     Analysis    

Hello all, The purpose of this topic is quite simple: to try and put the ideas I generate in my head down on paper where they can be discussed, and perhaps taken advantage of by someone with a much b

Inspired by my own idea: Vesp-Flareon-Talonflame   Talonflame is a very good card when it gets out. But when it does not, it is a waste of deck space. And even when it does work, 3 cards are left i

theotherguytm

It has been a little while since I last posted, so I think I'll bring you something I've been mulling over.

Night March is probably my favorite meta deck of all time, perhaps met only by Archie's Blastiose. But it has fallen from grace recently with Karen and Oricorio hard countering it. So, I've been thinking up ways to beat Karen with Night March. My thoughts, in no particular order:

• With Garbodor enforcing a slower meta, perhaps it's possible for NM to not have to burn through so many Compressors setting up. Holding back the big guns till later could keep damage consistently around the 100+ mark, though probably nowhere near the 200 mark NM is used to.
  • Choice Band reduces the amount of Pokémon needed for Night Marching-A Choice Band+1 Battle compressor = 90 damage, enough for 2HKOs on EXs and Basic GXs.
  • Puzzle of Time-A card already in most NM decks, can be used to recover Item cards and repower the NM damage. With Special Charge taking on the role of energy-recovery, Puzzle can be saved for repowering.
  • Recycle? 50-50 shot of reusing any card.
  • Dowsing Machine-In vogue in Expanded now, can power up NM while reusing that Battle Compressor.
  • Weird Pokémon-Milotic? Any card back to hand, perhaps useful, Sableye? With Mew in the deck and some Dark Energy, might work really well! And it makes Hammer ***** a possibility as well. Bunnelby? Mill an option, and reshuffles cards easily.
  • Lysandre easy KOs: Thanks to Shaymin EX's Lightning Weakness, Joltik can 1HKO it with the help of a single Compressor, or even with just 2 Night Marchers discarded with a Choice Band.
  • Garbodor? Perhaps might cure some bad matchups like Vileye, perhaps might just clunk.
  • AZ-reusing Shaymins or just preventing Lysandre *****

Any thoughts you want to add on this or anything else, please do!

Supertimland

• Dowsing Machine-In vogue in Expanded now, can power up NM while reusing that Battle Compressor.

I like this. Most games with NM once you get turn 3/4+, I rarely really have something I specifically want to comp search for anyway.

I like this. Most games with NM once you get turn 3/4+, I rarely really have something I specifically want to comp search for anyway.

Then I must say, you must have missed those deliberate times when you just need a Mewtwo EX with double colourless energy or a lysandre or even startling megaphone in some really really close match ups :o and you just happen to have computer search in your hand or by the god's grace top decked it :o

Edited by harshu
theotherguytm

Then I must say, you must have missed those deliberate times when you just need a Mewtwo EX with double colourless energy or a lysandre or even startling megaphone in some really really close match ups :o and you just happen to have computer search in your hand or by the god's grace top decked it :o

With NM?! The Broken One has been known to spontaneously appear in your deck...

Solution: Battle Compressor-->Dowsing Machine.

Anyway, time for another event report.

North America International

Drampador: 3 (Masters Champion)

Vileye: 1 (Masters runner-up)

Decidueye-Ninetales*: 1

Zoroark-Drampa: 4

Volcanion: 1

Alolan Ninetales: 1

Greninjaflame: 3 (Junior runner-up)

Greninja Classic: 1(Seniors Champion)

Espeodor: 5 (Seniors runner-up)

Despair: 1

TurboDark-Garb: 2

Rainbow Road: 1 (Junior Champion)

(* indicates new deck, overall Trash-8, overall Eye-2, overall Greninja-4)

Analysis

Some surprises there, and plenty for us mere mortals to learn. Many people would have turned up to play with or against a Trash deck, in particular Drampador, only to find themselves against Greninja or Zoroark, both of which had a great event. Greninja without Talonflame-that would have caught a lot of people off guard. But the Senior Division Champion proved why Greninja Classic Edition still is a force to be reckoned with, Starmie and Jirachi included. Another more conventional Greninja deck ran Talonflame BREAK (Told you so, again) to get the advantage of Weakness against Vileye, which normally destroys Greninja.

The Masters Division Champion decided against running Magma's Base with Drampador, instead running 4 Rainbow Energies. He also ran 4 Tapu Leles. 4!! 4????!! That speaks for itself. Also, keep an eye out for TurboDark, Slow Edition. Complete with Garbotoxin to wreck your day even without Float Stones, and running 4... Energy Switch. Wha?? Then, the Revenge of Rainbow Road! That's a Alolan Rattata on his list, not a Diglet. But why? Perhaps if he's short of Energy and needs 20 more damage? Counter to Hammer-based decks? You decide. What is a thought is the matchup Rainbow Road has with Trash. Possibly it could turn out to be one of the best Trash counter decks. Take the lead in the prize trade 1HKOing, and it doesn't matter how many Items you play, it's still only one Prize. I found the same thing with my Aerodactyl deck. Trash has to beat EXs and GXs otherwise it's just another 1HKOer non-EX.

Finally, the lone Vileye deck in the Top 8s is running Lugia EX. Surely it's outdated? But no, that Deep Hurricane is on the same level as Drampa's Berserk. He was also the only player to run Trainer's Mail, aside form the other Eye player. He also ran only three GR cards, the least of any player not running Rainbow Road. They can share the 'Haven't moved on' and 'overrated new set' awards.

Your thoughts below!

• Upvote 1
theotherguytm

"Hasn't moved on" awards... :P

Love it.

What can I say, some people think the old ways are best.

And now, a deck that is 70% troll, and 100% fun! (If you have my slightly strange sense of humour...)

​Hand Hater

Pokemon: 18

2 Natu RoSk

2 Xatu RoSk

2 Baltoy AnOr

2 Wingull SM

2 Pelipper SM

3 Bounsweet SM

3 Steenee SM

3 Tsareena SM

1 Tapu Lele GX

Energy: 6

2 DOC

4 Psy

Trainers: 36

4 Trainer's Mail

4 Red Card

4 Acro Bike

3 Ultra Ball

3 VS Seeker

4 Puzzle of Time

2 Float Stone

4 Delinquent

2 Sycamore

2 Team Skull Grunt

1 Judge

1 N

4 Forest of Giant Plants

Analysis

This deck is my dumbest yet. Use Red Card to reduce your opponent's hand to 4, Tsarina reduces your opponent to 3, and Delinquent competes the job. Then, Baltoy and Xatu control your opponent's deck and prevent them drawing anything useful. Simple!

In the absence of important cards like AZ and Super Scoop Up, I've gone with Pelipper in this deck. For a DOC it can return one of your Tsareena to your hand to keep the discards coming. Baltoy's Stop Trait prevents Feather Arrow from destroying me, and Tapu Lele can fetch Delinquent in a hurry. As I always say, what can go wrong? The only issue seems to be a lack of a win condition, but that is solved by stalling. Hopefully.

• Upvote 3
SuperStone

One sentence from the mouth of The O.G. convinced me to build this: "The only issue seems to be a lack of a win condition".

I'll never play it in my life, but I'll build it. :cool: 

• 2 weeks later...
theotherguytm

One sentence from the mouth of The O.G. convinced me to build this: "The only issue seems to be a lack of a win condition".

I'll never play it in my life, but I'll build it. :cool:

Well, there's always Rocket's Handiwork...

MegaHOP4015, on 07 Jul 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

Evil. I love it.

;)

I've been away for a while, but I'm back. The rotation has been announced, so it's time to see who wins and who loses from the rotation.

Primal Clash

First major thing we're losing is Ninetales Barrier Shrine. Not really used in the Delinquent era, but still potent in the right build. Wailord EX is finally going after years of sitting there doing nothing, and the loss of Milotic Sparkling Ripples makes it a little harder to recover cards from the discard pile. Medicham Barrage's loss removes one of the best beginner-friendly decks in the format. Primal Groudon's loss really was prolonging the inevitable, with the ultimate stallers now confined to Expanded. Hippowdon's loss isn't too bad, as Regice and Carbink took over its role long ago. I like Crawdaunt, but no-one really played it. Bunnelby's loss pretty much makes mill decks unplayable.

But the Trainer cards is where Primal Clash's loss hurts. Acro Bike, Archie/Maxie, and Dive Ball are all great cards that will be missed, while the loss of Escape Rope almost seems unthinkable. Between it and Warp Point, it's been in the format almost constantly for 8+ years. Repeat Ball will not be missed, while Rough Seas, Scorched Earth, Shrine of Memories and Silent Lab will be missed greatly by those seeking Stadium cards. The loss of Teammates and Weakness Policy completes the farewell of Primal Clash.

Double Crisis

A small gimmick set that most will forget quickly-if it wasn't for the Stadiums. Aqua and Magma's Secret Base have been annoying players for years, and now they are no more in Standard.

Roaring Skies

Building the core of player's decks since mid-2015, RoSk is a set that defined this year's format until GR was released, and continues to power decks. The first major loss is Shedinja. Hopeless Scream will be confined to Expanded from now on. Deltacuno is rotating?! That's a card I thought would be here forever. Banette's two forms are both annoying, one preventing evolutions, the other shutting down Tools. They are no more. And probably the most amazing name for an attack ever: Unwavering Blade. M Gallade EX is going. Absol's Cursed Eyes no longer being available hurts some decks, and Sincere Grace with Evolution AT going unused makes me really sad.

Plus Dragonite is going. No more 3-prize 1HKOs. Latios EX is leaving, and with it, Donk in Standard. M Ray Dragon Ascent going means Charizard GX will be unequalled in firepower. And Hydreigon EX, Reshiram, and Double Dragon all going means that Dragons will be unlikely to play a part in the future meta. Altaria's loss is Fighting and Lightning's gain. And Emerald Break leaving Standard means there will be little left to 1HKO GXs. Then, the big one. Shaymin EX is no more. We'll have to settle for one Supporter per turn, and even with Lele to find said Supporter, this is probably the end for speed decks.

Then, we get to the Trainers. Mega Turbo going kills most Mega decks, and the loss of Sky Field leaves me wondering what Stadiums are left to sit in the middle of the board. Steven leaving is a cause for celebration, Trainer's Mail is not. Winnoa's loss will hopefully keep Drampa and Tauros in check, and finally, VS Seeker is now going for real. Hopefully, it will return, but for now, let's welcome the new meta by running more Supporters and less Items.

​Ancient Origins

Well, Vileplume's loss means we will be Item lock free (maybe? Please?!), and Sceptile EX with M Sceptile leaves with its full potential untapped. Ariados going hurts a lot of decks that need extra damage or Special Conditions. Vesp is gone for real this time, having bypassed a lot of people's expectations by surviving the loss of Battle Compressor.

The Effect Eeveelutions being lost means that Weakness Policy going may not be as big of a deal. And both versions of Entei going. They were both surprisingly viable for a while. And just as it becomes viable, Gyarados is leaving. Regice's loss leaves the few EXs left with less counters, while Unown's loss makes me wish for a DP-era style Unown attack again. Hoopa EX is going? Oh. Now what am I supposed to drag up with Omastar BREAK?

Machamp EX's loss pretty much confirms what I already knew: Zygarde EX is better. :lol:M Tyranitar is heading off for Expanded, and with it goes the hope that overkill can be viable. Whimsicott was great fail-inducing material. And I celerbrate the removal of the cancer that is Giratina EX. Lugia EX going isn't too big now we have Lele and Drampa to do its work.

Then the Trainers. Ace Trainer's loss hurts some decks. Eco Arm is one of the few counters to Trash-Field Blower, so use it before it's too late! Faded Town has lost most of its popularity, and the Forest is going, which a lot of people have strong opinions over. Me? I say bring back AR (add one to both letters) BT-S. :P Hex Maniac's loss is helpful to a lot of decks, and makes some other decks tremble on the thought of facing Greninja BREAK. Level Ball is going? Oh dear. Lysandre is going? Well, we've got some form of replacement in Guzma, which is good in my book. It discourages stalling and gives Benchwarmers a downside.

The New Meta?

This where I want your opinions. Which deck stand out for you in the future? My thoughts are immediately Trash, but plenty of other decks could do well, from Zoroark and Volcanion to Greninja and Metagross, and maybe some other obscure ones like NinjaBox, Fight Alone or even Rainbow Road. And remember, there's some decks that we've never heard of coming out in the future. What's your thoughts?

Edited by theotherguytm
FlavorfulPineAp

Escape Rope is getting another print, don't know what set though. The only things i'm dissapointed leaving is Shaymin and Vileplume.

As for decks, Trash won't be as big anymore. Volcanion with the new Ho-Oh GX is actually very good. VikaBulu has nothing to lose, though the loss of VS Seeker will hurt its energy recovery with Brock's Grit. Zoroark might still be good. As for decks that havent been heard of, they are yet to be discovered.

SuperStone

The first thing I want to say is that, unfortunately, Winona isn't going to slow down Tauros/Drampa. :( They still have Brigette.

The new meta... Well, a lot of speed items are going, so Trash may become less powerful. And Mewtwo Evo could be a perfect counter for Espeon, potentially allowing decks normally run over by the avalanche to strike back hard. Also, one of the decks that struggles most against it, Volcanion, may start to play Heavy Boots to counter the confusion.

With the once-intimidating power of the fighting type being toned down a little bit further, I think Drampa will see quite a bit of play- which will make Fighting decks stronger. Passimian? Zygarde? Probably only tier two or three, but they'll be out there regularly.

Of course, Volcanion loses little from this rotation except the potential to be anything besides Brooklet Hill. It will certainly remain a meta force, and may even become more powerful unless more water attackers are printed.

Now, last year, Vespiquen did the Pro Soccer Player thing. It got tripped by Compressor leaving, hit the field, and lay there in agony. Faiking. And then it looked around, saw nobody was watching, and scored a goal. :P ---------------- It's going to be tripped a bit harder this time. And without it present, Gren BREAK loses "that one deck" that it has an auto-loss against. But y'know? I still don't think we'll see much of it. The format may be slower, but it's not going to get slow enough for Gren to do it's job without Dive Ball.

There is one deck, though, that has been almost completely overlooked, and that may, if combos are printed, be able to survive in Rogue. Alolan Golem. It's powerful. It uses Fliptini. And it's slow. But if BuS & co. bring just a few ways for it to get stronger, we just may see Golem/Vikavolt doing some work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea if I will be right about any of that. :D

Edited by SuperStone
  • Upvote 1
theotherguytm

Escape Rope is getting another print, don't know what set though. The only things i'm dissapointed leaving is Shaymin and Vileplume.

As for decks, Trash won't be as big anymore. Volcanion with the new Ho-Oh GX is actually very good. VikaBulu has nothing to lose, though the loss of VS Seeker will hurt its energy recovery with Brock's Grit. Zoroark might still be good. As for decks that havent been heard of, they are yet to be discovered.

You're disappointed? About the cancer that is Vileplume?!

That thing has been the TCG's cancer for about 20 years. It's never really left Standard, just sometimes been watching from the sidelines instead, casting its shadow over the history of the TCG.

The first thing I want to say is that, unfortunately, Winona isn't going to slow down Tauros/Drampa. :( They still have Brigette.

The new meta... Well, a lot of speed items are going, so Trash may become less powerful. And Mewtwo Evo could be a perfect counter for Espeon, potentially allowing decks normally run over by the avalanche to strike back hard. Also, one of the decks that struggles most against it, Volcanion, may start to play Heavy Boots to counter the confusion.

With the once-intimidating power of the fighting type being toned down a little bit further, I think Drampa will see quite a bit of play- which will make Fighting decks stronger. Passimian? Zygarde? Probably only tier two or three, but they'll be out there regularly.

Of course, Volcanion loses little from this rotation except the potential to be anything besides Brooklet Hill. It will certainly remain a meta force, and may even become more powerful unless more water attackers are printed.

Now, last year, Vespiquen did the Pro Soccer Player thing. It got tripped by Compressor leaving, hit the field, and lay there in agony. Faiking. And then it looked around, saw nobody was watching, and scored a goal. :P ---------------- It's going to be tripped a bit harder this time. And without it present, Gren BREAK loses "that one deck" that it has an auto-loss against. But y'know? I still don't think we'll see much of it. The format may be slower, but it's not going to get slow enough for Gren to do it's job without Dive Ball.

There is one deck, though, that has been almost completely overlooked, and that may, if combos are printed, be able to survive in Rogue. Alolan Golem. It's powerful. It uses Fliptini. And it's slow. But if BuS & co. bring just a few ways for it to get stronger, we just may see Golem/Vikavolt doing some work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea if I will be right about any of that. :D 

I certainly want to see Fighting decks doing well. Zybink will return. Alolan Golem sounds too slow to be real. But forget Golem/Vika, use Magnezone!

I am really excited about adding Guzma to my Aero Force! No need for Float Stones or Omastar BREAK (who is now pretty much redundant). It might even put up a fight against Metagross...

And I now have enough packs to get a Lele! Just to cap it off, I bought 5 RS packs with the tokens I got form the Special Challenge, and then in the first one...

FA SHAYMIN EX!!!!! FA SHAYMIN EX! FA SHAYMIN EX! FA SHAYMIN EX! FA SHAYMIN EX! FA SHAYMIN EX! FA SHAYMIN EX! FA SHAYMIN EX! FA SHAYMIN EX! FA SHAYMIN EX! FA SHAYMIN EX! FA SHAYMIN EX!

Tradelocked naturally.

theotherguytm

But now, I turn my attention to budget decks. It's tough being a beginner, especially around rotation time. But I have come up with some decks using only Pokémon from theme decks and the 4 starter decks for the new rotation!

Heat Jack

4 Volcanion

4 Zorua

4 Zoroark

2 Torkoal

1 Oranguru

2 Sycamore

4 N

4 Lillie

2 Kukui

2 Pokémon Fan Club

2 Ninja Boy

4 Ultra Ball

2 Nest Ball

2 Professor's Letter

2 Rescue Stretcher

2 Fighting Fury Belt

2 Max Elixir

1 Town Map

1 Scorched Earth

2 Altar of the Sunne

11 Fire Energy

This list combines two very powerful Pokémon that are easily obtainable from theme decks. This is a 0-pack list! You can get every card on this list with Tokens, or by being given it at the start of the game! The combination of two powerful Pokémon with different strengths is probably vary tricky to handle-for you and your opponent! Volcanion sets up and provides fast, efficient pressure, then when your opponent is forced to play Benched Pokémon, Zoroark steps in with Mind Jack to complete the rout! Torkoal can provide cover and cause more problems by inflicting Special Conditions, and Oranguru helps you play out of holes.

Water Raiders

4 Greninja

4 Frogadier

3 Froakie

4 Golduck SM

4 Psyduck

1 Oranguru

2 Sycamore

4 N

4 Lillie

4 Wally

4 Kukui

2 Fisherman

4 Ultra Ball

2 Timer Ball

2 Nest Ball

2 Energy Retrieval

2 Rescue Stretcher

8 Water Energy

The concept of this deck is to combine two powerful Water types with cheap attacks, and swing away! Greninja is disruptive and tough, Golduck is powerful. With Wally to evolve fast, and Frogadier's Water Duplicates to fill the Bench with Greninja easily, this deck hits fast. What it lacks in firepower, it makes up for with sheer efficiency-this deck is built off the power of a single Energy drop.

Queen Power

4 Serperior

4 Servine

4 Snivy

2 Shiinotic

2 Morelull

2 Zorua

2 Zoroark

1 Oranguru

4 Wally

2 Sycamore

4 N

4 Kukui

4 Ultra Ball

4 Timer Ball

2 Evosoda

1 Town Map

2 Professor's Letter

2 Nest Ball

2 Rescue Stretcher

1 Super Rod

7 Grass Energy

This deck lack the Forest of Giant Plants that Grass decks have relied on for the past two years, so instead the plan is to evolve Snivy use Servine's Ability to Paralyse, and Wally for a T2 Serperior. From there, just use Coil over and over until the final blow is needed with Slashing Strike. Shiinotic helps things run smoothly, while Zoroark provides covering fire.

So, what do you think? These decks are just starting points, and can be built into impressive fighting machines with enough time.

MegaHOP4015

(Disclaimer: I'm a beginner)

It seems to me that Ho-oh GX is just a fire-type late-game Decidueye, is it not?

It doesn't have to evolve, and Sacred Fire does 30 more damage, so it could be considered better by some.

SuperStone

It seems to me that Ho-oh GX is just a fire-type late-game Decidueye, is it not?

It doesn't have to evolve, and Sacred Fire does 30 more damage, so it could be considered better by some.

I think the most important thing about it, is that it's a snipe attacker that pairs well with Volcanion-EX.

Edited by SuperStone
theotherguytm

The difference is that Eye can snipe from the Bench, and doesn't use your attack.

The Energy requirement is a bit steep.

I think the most important thing about it, is that it's a snipe attacker that pairs well with Volcanion-EX.

The GX Attack works well, but it's that or Turtonator. It's first attack will only be boosted if it strikes the Active, and its second attack doesn't need any Steam Up boosts.

Just thought I'd let you all know that the constant stream of nonsense on this topic will be stopping for a while. I'll be back halfway through August, but until then, I'll just be checking no-one has offered me that Lele trade. (If anyone's interested, go to Phantom Knight Trading Centre)

This is theotherguy, signing off for a break, disguised as cool.

Edited by theotherguytm
  • 3 weeks later...
theotherguytm

Hi all!

I'M BAAACK!!

And-wha?

Burning Shadows certainly has some interesting cards...

I may be a bit late, but I'll give my favourites.

Butterfree

Use it while you can. Forest makes this a little stupid. Accelgor 2.0?

​Vileplume

​At first, I cried when I saw this card. But then, I realised it has to be Active to prevent Basics attacking. Meh.

Heracross

​Pray no card in the next 2-3 years can copy Abilities. Or that said card has an invalid attack.

Araquanid

Introducing: the newest in rage fuel.

Golisopod GX

​Not quite the overwhelming force of nature we were promised. As I found out with my Aerodactyl deck, 120 damage is not enough right now.

Charizard GX

​Pretty bad. But I have cunning plans for this...

Ho-Oh GX

​This. Is. Good. Putting the "burning" into Burning Shadows. The only issue is GXs you fetch with the GX attack can't use their GX attack.

Salazzle GX

​One situational attack and a likewise GX attack, and another attack that's just bad.

Alolan Ninetales

​I think this could be in, if not the winning deck, then at least one Top 8 deck at Worlds. Mediocre attack though.

Kingdra

​One energy for a 90 snipe?! Ouch.

Gyrados

​The nostalgia makes me cry... 3 karp discarded and a CB. Say no more.

Tapu Fini GX

​Worth slotting into Water decks as a one-time counter to Stage 2 GXs. The snipe is meh, and the first attack is horrible.

Slowking

​Lots of potential. A free attack that does 110 damage will get anyone interested. But having to play without a hand will dissuade most sane people from using it.

Dusknoir

​This could get very fun, very fast.

Meowstic

​Hand Fling all over again. Not while N's in the format!

​Palossand

​Completely impractical. But fun. And that's what matters.

Necrozma GX

​An Ability called Light's End. You need no other reason to try this card, regardless of what said Ability does. Also counters Drampa/Tauros GX.

Machamp GX

​This is exactly the same as Kommo-o GX. But slightly worse in slightly different ways.

Rhyperior

​That Ability says it all. Toppling Wind is back!

Lunatone

I'm pretty sure this counters something. *Realisation* Metagross GX! Problem: requires you to give up two slots and two Bench spaces to something uselessly situational.

Lucario

​They are going all out with DP-era nostalgia. Wait, was that 10 years ago? ...Oh.

​Sawk

​Quick Guard again. This set hates Basics.

​Passimian

​90 for 2 Energy? Fast hitting attack perhaps? That Tool discard is a worry, especially against Trash.

​Marshadow GX

​Two near-useless attacks of it's own, but an amazing ability. MarshMarch? Too gimmicky, MewMarch all over again. MarshBox with all kinds of discarded Pokémon needing few Energy to attack (Eg: Toad)? Interesting...

Alolan Muk

I have no idea what the point of a free GX attack is. Your once-per-game attack is only useful right at the start! Somehow, this card does not seem like a good idea, especially with the amount of play Guzma should see.

​Weavile

​Hm... Honchkrow, Tapu Koko, Po Town, and this?

Hm...

​Darkrai

​So we can now get 160 for 3 on a Basic. Oh. Yeah.

Darkrai GX

​A second appearance by the Lord of Darkness puts the "Shadows" in Burning Shadows. Because someone decided that Dark types needed to be stronger.

​Gardevoir GX

​The Broken One wants his attack back. Great Ability, and that GX attack makes the deck's Trash matchup surprisingly playable. Counter with Metagross GX... I love this new meta!

​Diancie

​Ok starter. Otherwise meh.

​Ribombee

​Because Oricorio is going out of fashion for some reason.

​Noivern GX

Just... why? When we thought we could be free... At least a lack of Double Dragon makes setting up its attacks interesting.

Zygarde

​Fairy and Dark. Two types that are looking very strong right now. Throw on a Choice Band...

Porygon-Z

Because this set hates evolutions as well as Basics.

Bewear

​Another Weezing. But less insurance, more risk.

Acerola

​At long last. What the format has been crying out for. And it's more powerful than AZ.

​Bodybuilding Dumbells

​Because Stage 1s deserve a FFB too. Then, I realise: Trash. Oh no.

Escape Rope

Staying after all, but now redundant.

​Guzma

This is my card of the set.​ They tried to produce a downpowered version of Lysandre. They ended up making an even more powerful version.

​Kiawe

​Finally, a Blacksmith replacement. Nice firepower, especially if you're going first and can't attack anyway...

Lana

Wait. In Burning Shadows, why should Water get a buff? Pretty meh though. And they didn't give it an FA.

Mount Lanakila

​Aqua's Base replacement. This set really hates Basics.

Olivia

My view: Meh?

​Plumeria

​As Ultra Ball has shown, the two Energy discard is not an issue. It's the fact that it's a Supporter and Flare Grunt exists. That's the issue.

Po Town

​Magma's Base replacement. This set really hates evolutions too. Come to think of it, this set hates everything. Which is probably for the best.

​Super Scoop Up

​FINALLY.

​Weakness Policy

​Not rotating after all.

​Wishful Baton

​Another version of Exp. Share? That goes on the Active? TurboDark, the Broken One and GardGX are laughing themselves stupid.

​Tapu Bulu GX/Lycanroc GX

Nice of them to make them obtainable in a set.

What are your thoughts? I'm now back, but I have no idea how often I'll be posting, so keep checking! (Not too often though!)

Edited by theotherguytm
SuperStone

So, with Worlds coming right up, they've posted a what-to-extect article on the pokemon.com.  Under Darkrai, it states that "Darkrai-EX has been a contender in the Standard format for most of the season."  Wrong.  Darkrai-EX has been contender all season.  In fact, Darkrai-EX has been a contender since it was released.  Heck, it's been a contender since the old Darkrai-EX was printed in 2012!  I say, heloooooo, wishful baton! :)

SuperLuigi231

I've been facing a couple of Noivern decks; Distort is the new Quaking Punch (with 20 more damage!). So there will still be item lock, unfortunately. Not sure how popular it will get, since it just released.

Hey guys I will be giving away mul****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ne codes a week on my ******* channel!! Come check me, Pepppiino out and enjoy my newest video[/background]

Edited by Pepppiino
theotherguytm

So, with Worlds coming right up, they've posted a what-to-extect article on the pokemon.com. Under Darkrai, it states that "Darkrai-EX has been a contender in the Standard format for most of the season." Wrong. Darkrai-EX has been contender all season. In fact, Darkrai-EX has been a contender since it was released. Heck, it's been a contender since the old Darkrai-EX was printed in 2012! I say, heloooooo, wishful baton! :)

Dark Patch FTW. Darkrai will never abandon his throne, just take short breaks sometimes.

I've been facing a couple of Noivern decks; Distort is the new Quaking Punch (with 20 more damage!). So there will still be item lock, unfortunately. Not sure how popular it will get, since it just released.

The issue is, unlike Toad, it will be near-impossible to get off a T1 Distort next season. Wally is needed, and since there will be no Double Dragon, some kind of Energy acceleration will also be needed (probably with an Energy Switch to boot). And lets forget setting up its other attack without DODR.

Hey guys I will be giving away mul****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ne codes a week on my ******* channel!! Come check me, Pepppiino out and enjoy my newest video[/background]

?

Why is this on my thread?

Seriously:

• External links are not allowed on the forums to anything but Poké*******
  • Advertising yourself on another person's thread is off the topic of the tread, and hence against forum rules also.

Welcome to the community, but please try to be more aware of the rules.

theotherguytm

So, I'm back! This week's topic:

​Finding Mega Audino: Worlds 2017 Preview

Part 1: The Meta

The last time a meta deck won Worlds was 2014, when the final and one semi were VirGen mirror matches. So, here are the contenders to break that streak.

• Drampador-Top of the block for a while now, the combination of Drampa for early pressure and Trashalanche to finish the job has become classic in the space of three months.
  • Good matchups: nearly anything, particularly Item heavy decks
  • Bad matchups: Possibly the new Garde GX deck, along with any Fighting deck that refuses to play Items.
  • Overall: Don't bet against it, but this deck will be on most players minds at Worlds.

​.

• Espeodor-Another Trash variant, this one uses Espeon instead of Drampa. Less likely to run Garbotoxin.
  • Good: Decks that run many low HP Pokémon, high retreat cost Pokémon and/or high Energy cost Pokémon, as well as Item heavy decks.
  • Bad: Psychic non-E/GXs, Guzma, decks that refuse to play Items.
  • Overall: Guzma weakens Psybeam, but this deck is still a major contender.

​.

• Vileye-You all know it by now.
  • Good: Pretty much anything that has a bad start, low HP Pokemon
  • Bad: Fire types, Trash if too many Items are used setting up, Drampador in particular for countering the damage spreading.
  • Overall: Last event for a while, if not ever, where Forest will be legal, so expect this deck to be very used.

​.

• Zoroark-Versatile and powerful, hijacking the opponent's best moves and Bench for extra low-Energy damage.
  • Good:Expensive, powerful attacks it can copy cheap, loaded Benches, Special Conditions.
  • Bad: M Garde again, heavily reliant on opponent for damage output.
  • Overall: Whether paired with Umbreon/Effect Eeveelutions or Drampa, a tricky deck to handle-and to play.

​.

• Volcanion-"Slow"-canion is more than capable of burning the top decks to ashes with stupid firepower.
  • Good:Vileye, Metagross, applies Weakness in mirror matches (any Volc player worth his salt should know this).
  • Bad: Garbotoxin, Vaporeon Effect, occasionally overplays Items.
  • Overall: A good bet for the Top 8, perhaps higher with the help of Guzma.

​.

• Metagross-Perhaps capable of doing more with the help of Guzma. Its Ability may even make Necrozma GX viable...
  • Good-Gardevoir and Trash both fear this deck when it works.
  • ************ by Volcanion and decks running Flareon Effect.
  • Overall-May impact, but if the Necrozma build works, Drampa may become weak overnight.

​.

• VikaBulu-High firepower matched by high Energy.
  • Good-Surprisingly effective against Volcanion, all around effective.
  • Bad-Non-G/EX decks may be able to trade KOs 2-1 against Bulu. Zoroark in particular a threat.
  • Overall: A good bet for the mid-tiers.

• Alolan Ninetales-Effective sniping alone, or with Eye.
  • Good-Volcanion, any deck with low-HP Pokémon or a lack of 1HKO power.
  • Bad-Metagross, GX attack less effective in E/GX vs E/GX matches.
  • Overall: surprisingly capable with the new Alolan Ninetales as well to counter E?GXs. Good outsider bet for Top 4/8.

​.

• TurboDark-Will be here forever.
  • Good:Espeon decks as well as anything that takes time to set up.
  • Bad: Fighting decks, Gardevoir, Trash if played incorrectly.
  • Overall: Darkrai GX puts this deck back into contention. Unlikely to win, but worth a shot.

​.

• Gardevior GX-The much-hyped newcomer, boasting a GX attack that counters Trash, Fighting support, and a great Ability to go with the Broken One's attack.
  • Good: Trash if GX attack used right, Dark and Dragon decks of any kind.
  • Bad: Metagross, Volcanion exploiting slow starts, low Energy/Energy discarding attackers.
  • Overall: Unproven, but a deck to watch for sure. If it lives up to the hype and Metagross goes unused, could even win.

That's all for now. Next time, I'll be looking at the Rouge decks who could make it to the top. If I post in time. Anyway, please leave your thoughts on this, or anything else, below.

Edited by theotherguytm
theotherguytm

Hi all!

Finding Mega Audino: Worlds 2017 Preview

​Part 2: Rouges Unleashed

So, which rouge deck is ready to take Worlds by storm this year? I have a few ideas...

• Gyarados
  • Full Retaliation has already stormed the Birmingham (England) Regionals, so could it go all the way? Guardians Rising has breathed some real force into this deck, with Rescue Stretcher, Machoke, and Choice Band adding key extra ingredients to a ****** ******** of Magma's Base, Double Trait and Double Colourless Energy. Burning Shadows could help even more with the new Venting Anger Gyarados that does 50 for each Magikarp in your discard pile. Advantage over popular Fire types could swing the balance too...
  • Overall: Looking like a considerable contender that has no fear of Trash or any other top decks.
  • Mill
  • Bunnelby and Houndoom have broken into the Top 8 before. But with Charizard GX and Rhyperior both having mill-boosting powers, could the time of mill be now? Mill very much relies on the element of surprise, which is normally lost when the deck starts with Houndoom or Bunnelby. But starting with a Ryhorn or Charmander is far less conspicuous, and might lead to some opponents overusing their deck in Game 1. But with Trash being so popular, many players will err the other way, keeping their deck full until they know they are not playing Trash. Which might actually also be a good idea... Trash-mill...
  • Overall: An interesting prospect, but not really in with a winning shot.
  • ​Fighting
  • Between Zybink, Lycanrock, Passimian, Primal Groudon, Marshadow, Medicham and Toxicroak, few types have as many viable incarnations as Fighting, and that's down to the power of Strong Energy. A couple of Energies and a Regirock EX on the Bench and your Fighting types are doing 50 more damage with each attack. Carbink BREAK can stop EXs cold while supplying your Bench, Lycanrock can switch around your Active and discard your Energy without Trainers, Passimian can hit for 3-figures on the first turn, Primal Groundon slowly builds up to overwhelm your opponent, Marshadow copies your discarded Basic's attacks, Medicham delivers two overwhelming blows every turn, and Toxicroak ****** Poison to make itself invincible. One interesting note I missed before is the new Solrock has the same attack as Zygarde EX's first attack. One Strong Energy and a CB later, and a non-EX does 90 T1 with no Benched Pokémon needed! And Sawk's Quick Guard can help too...
  • Overall: Surely one of these decks will give the meta a run for its money. Zoroark, be afraid. Very afraid.
  • Megas
  • Mega Ray is the only Mega deck to consistently make Top 8 since GR came out, and the only other Mega deck was one short appearance from Despair in North America Internationals. So, could it be time for Megas to retake centre stage? Mega Scizor EX, M Gyarados, M Mewtwo, M Gardevoir and M Alakazam all have winning potential. But can Megas reclaim the format they started?
  • Overall: M Alakazam in particular is worth watching, with Acerola and the return of Super Scoop Up bolstering the deck. Will Trash Weakness prove too much though?
  • Magnezone
  • In the new slower format, perhaps a new Stage 2 could come to light. Raikou and Tapu Koko just need a little extra speed to take them to the top.
  • Overall: ? My wildcard pick of the day.
  • Vile/NinjaBox
  • The surprise pick of the Top 8 last year (winner aside), this deck can lock out many decks with Item lock and Ninja Boy using Icelock and Jolteon EX. Could it go all the way this time?
  • Overall: Keep an eye on this one. Ranger has been getting less and less popular...
  • ​The defending champion
  • M Audino won last year thank to an incredible Night March matchup and Metal support. Could it do it again? Lysandre Shaymin is less of an option, and there are a lot fewer weak Basic Pokémon to be Benchsniped by Magical Symphony.
  • Overall: Probably not. But you never can say for sure...

Your thoughts? Who do you think will win?

semurphy444

I've been starting to really like something in the rouge style of: TapuKoko/Gengar/Garbotoxin...Along with Po Town/Wishful Baton/ maybe even a poison barb;  Why worry about hitting high damage out puts like 250...when your critical number is only 30?

Just as long as this deck doesn't see any Rough Seas- it could sneak up on people.