The Mindless Nonsense Begins-My Ideas

theotherguytm

Sorry I haven't posted in while! I'll just do a quick event report.

But first, a important news announcement. Cards marked with an A for their set are reprints of old cards with new artwork. So, Best of XY may be coming, but none of the rotated cards in it will be Standard legal. Also, a rule change, 'ignore all effects' attacks are affected by changes to Weakness and Resistance.

From Latin America:

Vileye : 6 (Masters winner and runner-up, Seniors runner-up)

Mega Ray: 3

TurboDark: 2

Volcanion: 5 (Juniors runner-up)

Y-Garb: 1 (Seniors winner)

Mega Mewtwo: 2 (Juniors winner)

Rainbow Road: 1

Y-Zoroark: 1

Xerneas BREAK: 1

Mega Garde Mix/Xerneas: 1

DarkTina: 1

No real surprises there, but once again, the power of unexpected techs is shown. Eeveelution/Icelock was on display in the Masters Division winner, while his opponent teched in Yammega! Those who innovate will reap the rewards, even if said innovation is later shown to be flawed. That is the difference between the best and the rest. Most of us react to the meta, the best change it.

Aside: Really looking forward to SM2!!!! New ideas will spew forth!!

Edited by theotherguytm

IT'S HERE!!!!! CAPS LOCK ENGAGED!!!!!
Here are my favourite cards from the new set.
Trevenant
Meh. There's been cards like it in the past. They weren't used either. Perhaps with Item Lock, but no.
Golisopod
​Now we're talking! That firepower and resilience would not look out of place on a Stage 2 or a EX! Add a Choice Band (see below) and that's 180 for 3!
Victini
​To quote the Pokedex: "Trainers with Victini always win, regardless of the type of encounter." Tini!
Chandelure
Cresselia LV.X is back. The Stage Two requirement may be a bit steep though.
​Salazzle
Suddenly, at long last, Hypnotoxic Laser is obsolete. With the new rule on Burns, that will add at least 30 damage to your attack, no fuss.
Turtonator GX
​Just what Volcanion EX needed. An insane GX attack for a BASIC, ok counterattack damage, and hard-hitting discard attack makes this card too hot for most decks to handle.
Alolan Ninetails GX
​Can I say: Meh?
Alomomola
Target Whistle substitute. Maybe?
Wishiwashi/Wishiwashi GX
​Interesting concept. But the GX's attacks are simply too expensive. (120 for 5? Come on.)
Alolan Golem
Those are BIG figures. A bit slow...
Vikavolt GX
​Even slower. But when it starts to hit... 180 a turn with the help of SM Vikavolt?
Tapu Koko GX
​Slightly inferior HP, made up for in game-changing attack power. That Ability and GX attack can flip a game. Lightning is back, in style.
Garbodor
Big contender for card of the set here. Already making unpleasant smelling waves in Japan, just as we thought we had seen the last of the walking juckheap, here it is AGAIN.
Oricorio (Ghost)
​They are desperate to get rid of NM. Talk about kicking a Pokémon while it's down...
Toxapex GX
100 damage a turn from Poison?! A bit over the top. And that GX attack is situational rather than stand-out.
Dhelmise
OK, Metal is broken now, WE GET THE POINT.
Tapu Lele GX
​Another contender for card of the set. You all know it by now. " What do you get when you cross the Broken One with Supporter searching?" "Cruelty!" Fitting for Tapu Lele.
Machoke and Machamp
​Bench protection and revenge KOs in one (well, two) card(s)? Yes, please!!!
Sudowoodo
​Dittobolic is back! The rule clarification makes it very useful in Mega Ray decks for mirror matches: restrict your opponent's power without discarding Sky Field.
Lycanrock GX
​Fighting is meta again. Have fun with this, Darkrai!!
Honchkrow
​Despite the power on display, this is card of the set for me. That attack will boost Vileye to new levels of OPness. Combine with Chandelure and Salazzle... I'm excited!!!
Sableye
*cries quietly in corner*
Metagross GX
​Choosing between this and Solgaleo GX is going to be interesting.
Whimsicott
A gambler's card. This + Deltacuno/Delta-nite + Greedy Dice = 6 prizes in one turn?
Sylveon GX
​Much needed backup for Fairies to carry on the fight and setup smoothly. Parallel City + Plea GX = opponent rages.
Comfey
​Like XY Slurpuff, but Basic and better.
Kommo-o GX
I flinch as I say this, but, not enough damage!
Blissey
​Perhaps.
Rayquaza
​Is it just me, or has OBY gone obsolete overnight?
Bewear
​Future draw engine/situational attacker?
Drampa GX
​That GX attack may be good setup. And it has an OK second attack.
APCA/Altar S/Brooklet Hill/Altar M
All useful Stadiums, but overall, I would rank them in the above order due to Field Blower.
Aqua Patch
​WHY? WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY???????? Water is now broken.
Choice Band
​Just what the Broken One ordered: a damage-boosting Tool.
Energy Loto
​For decks that rely on Special Energy and have trouble finding it.
Field Blower
​Rejoice friends, for Garbotoxin is NO MORE!
Hala/Mallow
​Situational, but could be useful post-Sycamore.
Rescue Stretcher
​Interesting... but Super Rod is still better.

Your thoughts below! I certainly have several new ideas I want to try and craft, and I'll share them soon!

Edited by theotherguytm

IT'S HERE!!!!! CAPS LOCK ENGAGED!!!!!

Here are my favourite cards from the new set.

Trevenant

Meh. There's been cards like it in the past. They weren't used either. Perhaps with Item Lock, but no.

Golisopod

​Now we're talking! That firepower and resilience would not look out of place on a Stage 2 or a EX! Add a Choice Band (see below) and that's 180 for 3!

Victini

​To quote the Pokedex: "Trainers with Victini always win, regardless of the type of encounter." Tini!

Chandelure

Cresselia LV.X is back. The Stage Two requirement may be a bit steep though.

​Salazzle

Suddenly, at long last, Hypnotoxic Laser is obsolete. With the new rule on Burns, that will add at least 30 damage to your attack, no fuss.

Turtonator GX

​Just what Volcanion EX needed. An insane GX attack for a BASIC, ok counterattack damage, and hard-hitting discard attack makes this card too hot for most decks to handle.

Alolan Ninetails GX

​Can I say: Meh?

Alomomola

Target Whistle substitute. Maybe?

Wishiwashi/Wishiwashi GX

​Interesting concept. But the GX's attacks are simply too expensive. (120 for 5? Come on.)

Alolan Golem

Those are BIG figures. A bit slow...

Vikavolt GX

​Even slower. But when it starts to hit... 180 a turn with the help of SM Vikavolt?

Tapu Koko GX

​Slightly inferior HP, made up for in game-changing attack power. That Ability and GX attack can flip a game. Lightning is back, in style.

Garbodor

Big contender for card of the set here. Already making unpleasant smelling waves in Japan, just as we thought we had seen the last of the walking juckheap, here it is AGAIN.

Oricorio (Ghost)

​They are desperate to get rid of NM. Talk about kicking a Pokémon while it's down...

Toxapex GX

100 damage a turn from Poison?! A bit over the top. And that GX attack is situational rather than stand-out.

Dhelmise

OK, Metal is broken now, WE GET THE POINT.

Tapu Lele GX

​Another contender for card of the set. You all know it by now. " What do you get when you cross the Broken One with Supporter searching?" "Cruelty!" Fitting for Tapu Lele.

Machoke and Machamp

​Bench protection and revenge KOs in one (well, two) card(s)? Yes, please!!!

Sudowoodo

​Dittobolic is back! The rule clarification makes it very useful in Mega Ray decks for mirror matches: restrict your opponent's power without discarding Sky Field.

Lycanrock GX

​Fighting is meta again. Have fun with this, Darkrai!!

Honchkrow

​Despite the power on display, this is card of the set for me. That attack will boost Vileye to new levels of OPness. Combine with Chandelure and Salazzle... I'm excited!!!

Sableye

*cries quietly in corner*

Metagross GX

​Choosing between this and Solgaleo GX is going to be interesting.

Whimsicott

A gambler's card. This + Deltacuno/Delta-nite + Greedy Dice = 6 prizes in one turn?

Sylveon GX

​Much needed backup for Fairies to carry on the fight and setup smoothly. Parallel City + Plea GX = opponent rages.

Comfey

​Like XY Slurpuff, but Basic and better.

Kommo-o GX

I flinch as I say this, but, not enough damage!

Blissey

​Perhaps.

Rayquaza

​Is it just me, or has OBY gone obsolete overnight?

Bewear

​Future draw engine/situational attacker?

Drampa GX

​That GX attack may be good setup. And it has an OK second attack.

APCA/Altar S/Brooklet Hill/Altar M

All useful Stadiums, but overall, I would rank them in the above order due to Field Blower.

Aqua Patch

​WHY? WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY???????? Water is now broken.

Choice Band

​Just what the Broken One ordered: a damage-boosting Tool.

Energy Loto

​For decks that rely on Special Energy and have trouble finding it.

Field Blower

​Rejoice friends, for Garbotoxin is NO MORE!

Hala/Mallow

​Situational, but could be useful post-Sycamore.

Rescue Stretcher

​Interesting... but Super Rod is still better.

Your thoughts below! I certainly have several new ideas I want to try and craft, and I'll share them soon!

Trev: Nah never gonna be meta. Rogue maybe. But not meta.

Golisopod: May be useful. The trouble is finding space to tech in. OHKOes an unbelted Tauros with choice band at least.

Victini: Probably included in some fun rogue decks

Chandelure: Nah far too slow to get out

Salazzle: If we have a new Hexed Flamed Ninetales then yeah otherwise space issue. Hypnotoxic Laser is still better. Much better (unless everyone starts playing plumes for some reason)

Turtonator GX: ^

Alolan Ninetales GX: ^

Alomomola: Probably not worth the space

Wishiwashi/GX: Useless. Less HP than Wailord EX. Charges up way too slowly. 

Alolan Golem: I say very slow

Vikavolt GX: Slow, but a wide lens gigatron gx can be hilarious if you can pull it off

Tapu Koko GX: Looks promising so far. Can't OHKO anything unless they have a whole bunch of energies, but very fast and tanky with aether paradise and FFB

Garbodor: Teaches you to save the environment and recycle else everything comes crashing down on you really, really hard. Ok really nothing you can do about that in PTCGO.... The damage is ridiculous. 9 items and EXes die. 13 items with a choice band and not even FFB Wailord survives. I think most (if not all) psychic decks will play this.

Oricorio Sensu: Really only useful for NM and vesp. Maybe every expanded deck will tech one just in case

Toxapex GX: Looks good but rather challenging to setup. Retreat will cut down the damage significantly, as will comfey

Dhelmise: Be glad there's no strong energy for steel.

Tapu Lele GX: Ok how in the world am I ever gonna pull one of these.....

Machoke and Machamp: Stage 1 and 2 so space issue is there. Machoke stops Decidueye, but Machamp is pretty meh. Yeah the stage 2 is pretty useless.

Sudowoodo: ^ I guess

Lycanrock: Has potential (mostly cuz it can use strong energy)

Honchkrow: I'll leave this to the pros (or owl trainers)

Sableye: I mean.....Exeggutor lock WAS a thing right? 

Metagross GX: Worthless. Slow stage 2. Weaker than Solgaleo. GX attack is a huge N bait.

Whimsicott: I can see this in a rogue deck but I don't think it's gonna be meta

Sylveon GX: Can 2HKO all GX with choice band and most without. Easy to set up. Upgraded collect. I think it can be meta.

Comfey: Everything with fairy energy can afford to tech in one so yeah.

Kommo'o GX: If only it were a basic....

Blissey: Meh.... Ain't anyone got space for that

Rayquaza: Hmm.... 1 DCE. Upgraded oblivion wing. Has to draw from discard unlike Palkia. Requires DCE/2 energies unlike Volcanion.... Maybe...maybe.... I mean, palkia can work so this can too right?

Bewear: Carrying the steel sun and hidden moon all de wayz. Outside of that........ I'll stick to banana master

Drampa GX: Ok secondary attack. GX attack is risky like Metagross but at least it's a basic. Pretty decent. Too bad magma's base is leaving soon

Stadiums: I would rate AoTM above brooklet hill

Aqua Patch: Let's see how broken water can become (how in the world can I get 2 of the most useless Liligants in a row but not a single aqua patch?!?!?!!)

Choice band: Silver bangle back with a vengeance

Energy Loto: I don't think this would be very useful

Field Blower: ^

Hala/Mallow: ^

Rescue Stretcher: I'll stick with super rod too

• Upvote 1

*snip*

+1. Thanks for sharing!

And I have already come up with my newest idea. Featuring the SMGR card of the set:

​Raven Tempest(Expanded)

Pokémon: 19

4 Murkrow GR

4 Honchkrow GR

4 Pinco FlFi

4 Forretress FlFi

2 Shaymin EX

1 Tapu Lele GX

Energy: 4

4 DOC

Trainers: 37

4 Ultra Ball

4 VS Seeker

3 Trainers Mail

4 Puzzle of Time

2 Choice Band

1 Field Blower

2 Super Scoop Up

1 Rescue Stretcher

1 Special Charge

1 Life Dew

4 Forest of Giant Plants

4 Professor Sycamore

2 N

2 AZ

1 Wally

1 Lysandre

The aim is simple. Carpet opponents with Forretress, then watch as Honchkrow 1HKO's Wailords. What can go wrong?

The one strange choice I made while building this deck is to use Rescue Stretcher instead of Super Rod or Brock's Grit. The way I see it, if you run no Basic Energy, then Super Rod has no advantage over Rescue Stretcher, which becomes a more versatile version of Super Rod and Pokémon Rescue. Wally gives the option of evolving straight to Honchkrow if I go second, while Choice Band adds that little extra firepower.

Other ways to build this deck:

Vileye is the obvious, meta way to go if you can handle all those Evolutions.

Dark Patch and Dark Energy could be a nice option.

If you need to slow down opponents a little, try teching in Sableye!

Frozen City/Magma's Base could bolster the attack much faster, at the cost of slowing down Forretress.

And the math to go with it:

1 Thorn Tempest: 10 + Raven's Claw 70 = 80 or 110 with Choice Band.

2 Thorn Tempest: 20 + Raven's Claw 130 = 150 or 180 with Choice *****

* Thorn Tempest: 30 + Raven's Claw *** = 220 or 250 with Choice Band.

There. Have fun. Leave your thoughts below!

Edited by theotherguytm

And another idea:

Trash Devouring(Expanded)

Pokémon: 13

4 Durant BW:NV

4 Trubbish GR

3 Garbodor GR

1 Garbodor BrPo

1 Mew FaCo

Energy: 6

2 Metal

4 Rainbow

Trainers: 41

4 VS Seeker

4 Trainers Mail

4 Puzzle of Time

2 Repeat Ball

2 Level Ball

2 Ultra Ball

4 Crushing Hammer

2 Enhanced Hammer

2 Float Stone

1 Field Blower

1 Rotom Dex

1 Life Dew

4 Team Flare Grunt

2 Professor Sycamore

2 Team Rocket's Handiwork

1 Brock's Grit

1 N

1 Team Skull Grunt

1 Delinquent

Yep. Energy hate, mill, Ability lock and Trashvalanche in one deck. Your opponent is going to hate you. The idea is to mill opposing Items with Durant, then use Trashvalanche to take some big prizes.

One problem Durant decks have is if one Durant is prized, the others are easy pickings. But Rotom Dex tries to stop that happening. It's no actual Rotom, but it does the job in case of emergency. 4 Team Flare Grunt may seem overkill. To me, it's a must-play. To keep the Energy-hate flowing, even under Item lock, is critical.

Other ideas:

Oricario(Ghost) and Evo Raticate for more big hits.

Hex Maniac to shut off Abilities at that crucial moment.

Ghetsis, Teammates, Lysandre and Brigette would all improve the Supporter lineup.

Your thoughts always welcome! I'll be posting here regardless.

(My Volcanion's discard full of items just beaten a Trashalanche in standard right now... they conceded)

Now, there you go... the great idea for Garbodor...!

I'm just building one finally and i'll post while i build it.

Firstly, i decided to include 1 Durant from FLF "discard cards from your opponent's hand at random until he or she has 4 cards in his or her hand" - useful when opponent doesn't want to play items, and it still counts as one Durant for NV Durant's attack.

Then, 1 less Flare Grunt for 1 Tapu Lele which might come in hand, and i'm thinking Trick Shovel might be good to control opponent's deck.

The thing is Durant is successful as a mill deck. and 4 Garbo lines might be too much... and the energy hate you include corresponds to a normal mill deck... so is it a mill or a damage one? If the idea is to deal damage it might need more draw support and a bit less energy hate.

So, i removed 1 Rocket Handiwork and 1 more Flare for 1 more N and Sycamore. I'm lso concerned this might be few energy to work with, but maybe puzzle will take care of it.

I'll try it out now... i'm not experienced in mill decks.

EDIT: Garbotoxin is an awesome idea but i'm thinking of cutting that Garbo line for 1 Mew to increase the chance of starting with it/Durant... i just started with Trubbish and only running 2 Float Stone.

Edited by Cuqk
  • Upvote 1

*snip*

+1. Thanks for trying it out!

And now, counter-meta. This is an insane plan to stop Garbodor, that might actually work.

Use no Items.

Aqua Torrent

Pokémon: 16

​3 Palkia EX

2 Manaphy EX

4 Shaymin EX

2 Tapu Lele GX

1 Hoopa EX

3 Lapras GX

1 Regice

1 Glaceon EX

Energy: 16

12 Water

4 Splash Energy

Trainers: 27

​4 Brooklet Hill

2 Aqua Patch

2 Max Elixir

4 Professor Sycamore

4 N

2 Ninja Boy

2 Lysandre

2 Olympia

2 Pokémon Ranger

1 Brock's Grit

Well there you have it. The (insane) plan is to use as few Items as possible, relying on Supporters, Shay, Lele, Hoops, and Palkia's Aqua Turbo to get the deck set up. (Yes, I see the Aqua Patchs and Max Elixirs. You'll need two at most, perhaps using Patches to recover if it starts looking like a pear.)

Common Items can be substituted for in this deck:

Super Rod-->Brock's Grit, Splash Energy.

VS Seeker-->? Best I can see is to run 2 of everything as far as possible.

Float Stone/Switch/Esape Rope-->Manaphy EX

Nest Ball/Ultra Ball/Dive Ball-->Brooklet Hill

There are still some issues (finding Shay, Lele and Hoops or reusing cards), but it looks like it could come off, especially if Garbodor begins to overshadow the meta. Your thoughts below!

Aside: this is only possible due to how broken Water is right now.

Just going to do a a quick event report. The last event before SM:GR has been and gone.

Meta shift? Just as GR breaks it up...

Lapras: 2 (Masters Champion)

Wobbuffet/Eeveelock: 1 (Masters runner-up)

TurboDark: 2

Vileye: 9 (Seniors and Juniors Champion)

M Mewtwo: 4 (Juniors runner-up)

Volcanion: 2

Y-Garb: 1 (Seniors runner-up)

Lurantis/Vile: 1

Despair: 1

Mega Ray: 1

Once again Vileye is victorious. But there are some interesting meta shifts taking place behind the scenes.

Lapras GX has gained momentum as a credible threat to the meta. Running minimal Pokémon, a fairly large Energy supply, and no Sycamore gives a vast amount of Trainer power that can be used to strip energy and control the field. The lesson to take here is that the fewer Pokémon you can use to execute your plans, the better. Sylveon GX will be a force.

Mega Mewtwo is making a big resurgence, with a shift towards Wobbuffet instead of Garbodor. the two are roughly 50/50 split at the moment, and that's IMO the way it should be. They both have their +s and -s.

I rushed over each of these in favour of looking at the rouge decks that have come through.

Lurantis-Vile is nothing new, but it had mostly been abandoned by Vile players in favour of the trickier to command, but more rewarding, Vileye. The way the deck looks is... unique. VS Seekers in a Vile deck? Madness. 2 Kukui instead of running 4 Sycamore? Crazy. Using 12 Energy and running Jirachi? Ridiculous. But look over this list and you'll see that it does more than that, from running only 2 Ultra Balls in favour of Timer Balls to running 2 Acro Bikes and only 2 Mails. It even looks like a Yu-Gi deck, with no lines at all with 4 copies. It worked, clearly.

Another deck to catch the eye is the convoluted mess of Wobbuffet and Rainbow Energy that was a finalist in the Masters Division. 4 Wobb is an eye-catching pick. Two Jolteons and a Glaceon, less so. The Araquanid? Wha? And running at least 2 copies of every Supporter and 4 N, even with VS Seekers. When you boil it down, it's a Energy hate deck with attack prevention and Ability lock. I did say Araquanid was a natural pick for any deck that wants to beat Volcanion, has the Energy to supply it, and doesn't play Garbodor already. Surprise! Since most Volcanion decks play Pokémon Ranger, Flash Ray was not going to cut it in this player's eyes, and so he went with Araquanid.

Other highlights:

• 0 Hoopa, 3 Shaymin in a TurboDark deck.
  • Mewtwo (Evo) gaining popularity in Vileye decks, with Espeon GX falling out of fashion.
  • M Mewtwo deck with 4 Float Stones...
  • M Garde packing 2 Hex Maniacs and as many Lysandres as Sycamores.
  • Gumshoos GX finding a home in a Mega Ray deck

That's all for now! Feel free to post your response to anything! Next up, GR becomes tournament legal. Which decks will fly? Which will flop? And what crazy creation will I churn out next?

• Upvote 1

I am looking at fire speed, but my only 2 problems are Araquinid and Water weakness. And how can you out speed water, it has aqua patches, and  we only have the baby volcanion and Nitro Tank GX

I am looking at fire speed, but my only 2 problems are Araquinid and Water weakness. And how can you out speed water, it has aqua patches, and  we only have the baby volcanion and Nitro Tank GX

Only??? ;)

No, Fire does have problems with Weakness right now, in spite of Altar of the Sunne. Araquanid isn't really a problem for most decks however, few people are using it. I think.

The thing with Water acceleration is it relies on Items. Fire doesn't. Which brings my nicely onto my next Garbodor counter-deck...

Steam Machine

Pokémon: 17

4 Volcanion EX

2 Volcanion

2 Turtonator GX

4 Shaymin EX

1 Entei (Combat Blaze)

1 Flareon EX

1 Hoopa EX

2 Tapu Lele GX

Energy: 14

14 Fire

Trainers: 29

2 VS Seeker

2 Ultra Ball

4 Professor Sycamore

4 N

3 Lysandre

2 Pokémon Ranger

2 Fisherman

2 Olympia

1 Hex Maniac

3 Scorched Earth

1 Parallel City

2 Brooklet Hill

1 Altar of the Sunne

So, it's a Volcanion deck with only 4 Items. But there are a couple of twists.

I went with a high Energy count so that Professor Sycamore could discard more for Volcanion and Turtonator GX to retrieve. It also pads deck space a bit, so feel free to play around with the list if you are running into Garbodor a lot and want to try this.

Brooklet Hill is not the first Stadium that springs to mind when people think of things to go into a Fire deck, but it works to fetch Volcanion EX, thereby reducing the need for Item cards.

Flareon EX fills the same role as Tapu Koko GX in Lightning decks, coming into play late on then absorbing enough Energy from its comrades for a clinch KO.

Your thoughts, as always, welcome below!

Edited by theotherguytm

2,200 Views! It's been a long read for some of you, so if you've been reading my posts for a while, thanks for putting up with my rambling, and I hope you enjoyed my ideas!

Having come across a good Fighting deck recently (with my AWESOME, finally constructed Aero Force), I want to try one!

The Fist

Pokémon: 18

​1 Carbink (Energy Keeper)

1 Carbink (Safeguard)

2 Carbink BREAK

2 Zygarde EX

3 Rockruff

2 Lycanrock GX (Midday)

1 Lycanrock GX (Midnight)

1 Shaymin EX

2 Sneasel

2 Weavile

1 Tapu Lele GX

Energy: 9

4 Strong

5 Fighting

​Trainers: 33

​4 VS Seeker

4 Ultra Ball

2 Trainers Mail

3 Crushing Hammer

2 Enhanced Hammer

2 Float Stone

1 Power Memory

2 Choice Band

1 Weakness Policy

3 Brooklet Hill

4 Professor Sycamore

2 N

2 Team Flare Grunt

1 Lysandre

A lot of different ideas here, all mashed into one crazy deck. I'll try and make some sense of it, on a card by card basis.

The Zybink core is there for all to see, with backup. Running one of each Carbink gives more options against decks like Sylveon GX and other Energy-hate decks. Zygarde is sill capable of opening the fighting with a bang, with 40(base)+20(Strong)+30(Choice)=90 damage, enough to a hit a very surprised Darkrai EX for Weakness and a 1HKO. Naturally, Carbink BREAK can also fill its traditional roles of EX-blocking and Energy recovery, keeping everything running smoothly

The Lycanrocks are the new powerhouse in this deck. Midday is capable of eating through all the Energy in a Typhlosion deck with Crunch, before hitting hard with a Strong Energy boosted Acelerock. The GX attack may also be useful in some matchups. But Midnight is the GX attacker, being the ideal one-shot wonder, punishing players who fill their Bench and dragging an easy target up front when it evolves. And Claw Slash isn't too bad next to Acelerock, with the extra 10 HP being useful. A Captivating Lure Pokepuff might be good here...

Weavile helps the Tool use of the deck, giving the flexibility to use Float Stones whenever you need them, adding extra damage with Choice Band, covering Weakness to Grass types and adding that big bang to end it all with All Cells Burn. If you then remove it and add a Float Stone, Carbink can then reload Zygarde... or maybe it's better off just hitting the last Pokémon for six so you can take those final two prizes. I would use for the latter, essentially treating it as a second GX attack. Which it is.

Thanks for reading! Do be sure to reply with your thoughts! There are many ways to build a Fighting deck, and while I've tried to look at them all in the space of one deck, I'm pretty sure I failed.

Now, a two-part post. The last Expanded event before GR has come and gone.

Surprise! There's a new kid on the block, with the revival of an old favorite.

Lurantis/Vile - 3 (Masters Champion)

Primal Groudon - 3 (Masters and Seniors runner-up)

ToadTina - 2

ToadBats - 1

DarkTina - 4 (Juniors Champion)

Volcanion - 1

Trev - 1 (Seniors Champion)

ToadEye - 1

Y-Garb - 1

ToadGarb - 2

Vileye - 1 (Juniors runner-up)

Accelgor/Wobb - 1

Despair - 1

Mega Ray - 1

Maxie's Y - 1

(Toad decks overall-6, Darkness overall-6, Vile decks overall-4)

This is new, to show the success of the overarching deck types. Each of these can appear in multiple variants with different partners. So, I added this to avoid under-showing the main powerhouses.

Lurantis is now meta. Despite being overlooked in Standard, the addition of AZ makes a huge difference. Being able to lift your Shaymins off the Bench to reuse or discard, pick up Vile to give yourself some time with Items, or just fully heal Lurantis's massive 210HP, and then reattach the Energy with Flower Supply. The resilience of this deck is remarkable. Players have to work to have a hope of taking a Prize off this deck.

Primal Groudon is back in town as well, with two brothers (I assume) leading the deck to the Masters Top 4 and the finals. The decks they built have the same core idea, which is shared by the Senior finalist as well. Scramble Switch. The idea (I think) is to leave one unpowered Primal Groudon on the Bench, (or recover one from the discard pile) wait until the Active Groudon takes a major hit (which it almost invariably survives), and Scramble all the Energy to the other Groudon, perhaps using Max Potion to heal it up again. This can also be achieved using Float Stone, Escape Rope and Olympia to switch around Wobbuffet and Groudon (though without the Energy transfer).

The rest of the results speak for themselves, with a return for Trev, the usual smattering of Toad decks, and an eerily quiet event from Maxie's Y, but its compatriot in evil, DarkTina, carried on regardless.

I skipped over that bit quickly, because I wanted to mention how surprisingly nicely Aero Force is running. I'll leave out the details, and instead give a bullet-point list of what I've learnt from playing Aerodactyl.

• 4 Talonflame waste space-in a fossil deck with only one Basic you can afford to run 3. If you mulligan a lot, it doesn't matter because the deck runs 4 N and can make your opponent ditch his hand.
  • The biggest hurdle is pulling all the DOC and keeping it. 4 Puzzles are great, and I have used them to do everything from re-using Excavation Kits to refuelling with DOC.
  • Acro Bikes are lifesavers. If you play 0 Sycamore and 0 Ultra Ball, you are going to struggle to go through your deck. 4 Acro Bikes can keep everything running smoothly, and sometimes even get rid of a unused Talonflame. Trainer's Mail is good too.
  • Skyla is OK. Despite my earlier findings when I first started to proxy test the list, she has helped when I had a good hand that I don't fancy shuffling away, but still need a key card. Lillie might be a good addition, but the power to find that missing Puzzle is huge.
  • Mewtwo Evo can hold its own surprisingly well in battle. It's best when I can find 2 Psy Energy for it for stalling purposes, but I only run 3, so I usually end up dropping it in with Barrier unavailable. It still hits hard, and that's without Weakness: the reason I chose it for my Basic. Even so, I'm going back and forth on several candidates for that slot. Suggestions open!
  • Even without Archie, Omastar has become the cornerstone of my deck. Picking out Aerodactyl could not be easier. And if it's in your hand, one N and you're good to go. Then, all the Fossils have to do is find enough Aerodactyl to hold the line while Omastar gets to the Bench, reducing consistency issues massively.
  • Shaymin really is an easy target for this deck to get ahead in the prize trade. Manaphy EX works too.

Your thoughts below!

Now, a two-part post. The last Expanded event before GR has come and gone.

Surprise! There's a new kid on the block, with the revival of an old favorite.

Lurantis/Vile - 3 (Masters Champion)

Primal Groudon - 3 (Masters and Seniors runner-up)

ToadTina - 2

ToadBats - 1

DarkTina - 4 (Juniors Champion)

Volcanion - 1

Trev - 1 (Seniors Champion)

ToadEye - 1

Y-Garb - 1

ToadGarb - 2

Vileye - 1 (Juniors runner-up)

Accelgor/Wobb - 1

Despair - 1

Mega Ray - 1

Maxie's Y - 1

(Toad decks overall-6, Darkness overall-6, Vile decks overall-4)

This is new, to show the success of the overarching deck types. Each of these can appear in multiple variants with different partners. So, I added this to avoid under-showing the main powerhouses.

Lurantis is now meta. Despite being overlooked in Standard, the addition of AZ makes a huge difference. Being able to lift your Shaymins off the Bench to reuse or discard, pick up Vile to give yourself some time with Items, or just fully heal Lurantis's massive 210HP, and then reattach the Energy with Flower Supply. The resilience of this deck is remarkable. Players have to work to have a hope of taking a Prize off this deck.

Primal Groudon is back in town as well, with two brothers (I assume) leading the deck to the Masters Top 4 and the finals. The decks they built have the same core idea, which is shared by the Senior finalist as well. Scramble Switch. The idea (I think) is to leave one unpowered Primal Groudon on the Bench, (or recover one from the discard pile) wait until the Active Groudon takes a major hit (which it almost invariably survives), and Scramble all the Energy to the other Groudon, perhaps using Max Potion to heal it up again. This can also be achieved using Float Stone, Escape Rope and Olympia to switch around Wobbuffet and Groudon (though without the Energy transfer).

The rest of the results speak for themselves, with a return for Trev, the usual smattering of Toad decks, and an eerily quiet event from Maxie's Y, but its compatriot in evil, DarkTina, carried on regardless.

I skipped over that bit quickly, because I wanted to mention how surprisingly nicely Aero Force is running. I'll leave out the details, and instead give a bullet-point list of what I've learnt from playing Aerodactyl.

• 4 Talonflame waste space-in a fossil deck with only one Basic you can afford to run 3. If you mulligan a lot, it doesn't matter because the deck runs 4 N and can make your opponent ditch his hand.
  • The biggest hurdle is pulling all the DOC and keeping it. 4 Puzzles are great, and I have used them to do everything from re-using Excavation Kits to refuelling with DOC.
  • Acro Bikes are lifesavers. If you play 0 Sycamore and 0 Ultra Ball, you are going to struggle to go through your deck. 4 Acro Bikes can keep everything running smoothly, and sometimes even get rid of a unused Talonflame. Trainer's Mail is good too.
  • Skyla is OK. Despite my earlier findings when I first started to proxy test the list, she has helped when I had a good hand that I don't fancy shuffling away, but still need a key card. Lillie might be a good addition, but the power to find that missing Puzzle is huge.
  • Mewtwo Evo can hold its own surprisingly well in battle. It's best when I can find 2 Psy Energy for it for stalling purposes, but I only run 3, so I usually end up dropping it in with Barrier unavailable. It still hits hard, and that's without Weakness: the reason I chose it for my Basic. Even so, I'm going back and forth on several candidates for that slot. Suggestions open!
  • Even without Archie, Omastar has become the cornerstone of my deck. Picking out Aerodactyl could not be easier. And if it's in your hand, one N and you're good to go. Then, all the Fossils have to do is find enough Aerodactyl to hold the line while Omastar gets to the Bench, reducing consistency issues massively.
  • Shaymin really is an easy target for this deck to get ahead in the prize trade. Manaphy EX works too.
Your thoughts below!

Do you mind providing a list of your updated Aerodactyl?

I love Primal Groudon! Sadly I can't afford Beaches for expanded. I think I own 1, but that not enough!

Lurantis in expanded is interesting, since you access to a lot of things, like battle compressor, AZ, Computer Search, etc..

I agree with only 3 Talonflame if you run no basic or just 1, it opens up a spot for a tech card or something more useful for your deck.

Do you mind providing a list of your updated Aerodactyl?

Sure!

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******
##Pokémon - 15
* 4 Aerodactyl FAC 76

* 3 Talonflame STS 96

* 1 Mewtwo EVO 51

* 2 Omastar BREAK FAC 19

* 3 Omanyte FAC 17

* 2 Omastar FAC 18

##Trainer Cards - 38
* 3 Bursting Balloon BKP 97

* 3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92

* 1 Brock's Grit EVO 74

* 3 Helix Fossil Omanyte FAC 102

* 4 Acro Bike PRC 122

* 1 Team Flare Grunt XY 129

* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109

* 4 Old Amber Aerodactyl FAC 106

* 2 Skyla BKT 148

* 3 Fossil Excavation Kit FAC 101

* 4 N FAC 105

* 2 Dive Ball PRC 125

* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 7
* 3 Psychic Energy EVO 95

* 4 Double Colorless Energy FAC 114

And of course, right after I heap praise on the Broken One, I lose to a really badly played Vileye, where he played Forest AFTER fully evolving, due not starting with Talonflame.  :( 

So now, some big news.

I figured out how to use the spoiler!  :D My posts will no longer fill the screen, and hopefully the thread will become more readable!

And onto my newest deck idea. I'm experimenting with a new format (see above), so tell me what you think!

The deck (my latest idea)

​Sniper Ace

Pokémon: 15

3 Latios EX

3 M Latios EX

3 Rayquaza (GR)

1 Shaymin EX

1 Tapu Lele GX

2 Trubbish

1 Garbodor BrPo

1 Garbodor GR

Energy: 12

2 DODR

8 Psychic

2 Water

Trainers: 33

​4 Ultra Ball

4 VS Seeker

4 Puzzle of Time

3 Max Elixir

2 Mega Turbo

3 Latios Spirit Link

2 Float Stone

3 Altar of the Moone

4 Professor Sycamore

2 N

1 Hex Maniac

1 Brock's Grit

Explanation and Analysis (where I try and justify my idea, and sometimes fail)

The deck concept is built off the new Rayquaza. Even more Energy-accelerating power than OBY, with the power to attach 2 of any basic Energy to the Bench for 1 DOC or 2 of any. I went through several ideas from Dragon Ascent powering to overloading Raikous with Electrode, Eels and baby Ray. But when I realised M Latios EX could retreat for free... This combo allows me to use Sonic Ace for a 120 snipe almost every other turn!

There is only one problem with this idea. Baby Ray does not retreat for free. Well, that's where Float Stone and Altar of the Moone come in. Between both of them, I can keep reloading M Latios over and over for snipe after snipe. Max Elixir helps get baby Ray working as fast as possible, and Mega Turbo and Double Dragon provide a safety net for M Latios if things go wrong.

The support lines in this deck hurt too. Since the deck does not rely on Abilities and already runs Float Stones, Garbodor is a natural fit to shut off Abilities. And since the deck uses Psychic Energy to attack, Trashvalanche fits in well as well! Both these Garbodor help give the deck alternate win strategies, making this one of the most diverse and technical decks I've built. And even Tapu Lele can help here! Since M Latios has 220HP and free retreat, it's hard to 1HKO, and can simply drop back to the Bench when hit. Then if I've got two damaged Latios on the Bench, Tapu Cure restores them both to full HP! Since I'm already running Psychic Energy and no other GXs, Tapu Cure is suddenly useful!!

So what do you think? Your thoughts below!

Wow, I don't know what to say other than have you considered adding Ninetails GX. It can snipe 50 for 2 Colorless energy. Just an idea to finish off a benched pokemon, or maybe Decidueye GX, to also finish them without using your attack.

Wow, I don't know what to say other than have you considered adding Ninetails GX. It can snipe 50 for 2 Colorless energy. Just an idea to finish off a benched pokemon, or maybe Decidueye GX, to also finish them without using your attack.

Ninetails might be a good addition, but the main issue is space. I hate 1-1 lines for anything other than occasional matchup-based techs, so running 2-2 is a must, which causes all sorts of problems. Eye would be even worse, as I would have to drop the Altar for Forest, and then find space for a 2-2-2 Eye line. Both would improve the damage output, but the issue is finding the space to run them without hitting consistency issues. Garbodor could make way perhaps, and then if you dislike Tapu Cure you can switch the deck's energy from 8-2 (Psy-Water) to 2-8, allowing Blizzard Burn to be used, and then you can reload with baby Ray... wait a minute. THAT WORKS!! In theory at least.

And now, something I've always wanted to do, but have refrained from in fear that it is a load of rubbish.

The Deck:

Power King

Pokémon: 17

3 Tyranitar EX

3 M Tyranitar EX

3 Celebi (Leap Through Time)

2 Clauncher

2 Clawitzer

2 Shaymin EX

1 Hoopa EX

1 Tapu Lele GX

Energy: 12

4 DOC

4 Rainbow

4 Dark

Trainers: 31

​4 Ultra Ball

4 VS Seeker

4 Trainer's Mail

1 Field Blower

2 Special Charge

3 Tyranitar Spirit Link

2 Poison Barb

2 Exp Share

4 Professor Sycamore

2 N

1 Lysandre

1 Olympia

1 Ninja Boy

Analysis:

So, a M Tyranitar deck. I wanted to build one for ages, but I've refrained until now. Now, I realise: Since when has a deck being rubbish ever stopped me trying to build it?

The way this variant gets the damage around is through Celebi. Its attack, for 1 (Rainbow) Energy, puts a single damage counter on all your opponent's Pokémon, setting up M Tyranitar perfectly. But there are several cards that do that. The reason I chose this one in particular is down to its Ability that gives you a 50-50 chance of not giving up a prize and shuffling Celebi, along with any Tools or Energy attached to it, back into your deck. Plenty of stalling time if you need it. Plus, Stop Trait makes it immune to things like Feather Arrow and Garbotoxin!

I tried to reduce the amount of stalling time needed anyway, by throwing in Clawitzer and Mega Boost, a card that seems to have been neglected (there's probably a very good reason for this I've not noticed), allowing you to attach a Special Energy from your hand to a Mega of your choice. Thus 4 DOC and 4 Rainbow are in to give me the most chance of using this, 2 Special Charge also to keep the Energy flowing, and Max Elixir and Mega Turbo are out.

Finally, I threw in a few useful Tools to take advantage of the Double Ancient Trait M Tyranitar has. Exp. Share is great for recycling the few Dark Energy in the deck, while Poison Barb will make anyone think twice before attacking, lest the response be a big damage Destroyer King!

Like it? Hate it? Your thoughts below!

Aside: I'm thinking about running the maths on Tapu Lele's pull rate, so anyone who knows any of the pull rates for GXs, FAs, RRs, and other SRs (along with how many SRs there are), please let me know!

Aside to the Aside: This topic has now been running, (on and off) for one year!!

• Upvote 1

Well first of all, if you are running Clawitzer. You should abandon the EXP Share and just run Dangerous Energy. Its effect is when the pokemon is attacked by an EX, put 2 damage counters on the attacking Pokémon. It is a special energy so you can use it with Clawitzer. Also, if we are playing M Tyranitar, which needs 2 damage counters to KO everything, why not play Decidueye. You would only need to play a 2-2-2 line because you would only need one per game. Or play the stadium Team Magma's secret base, another way to get down 2 damage counters on every pokemon.

Well first of all, if you are running Clawitzer. You should abandon the EXP Share and just run Dangerous Energy. Its effect is when the pokemon is attacked by an EX, put 2 damage counters on the attacking Pokémon. It is a special energy so you can use it with Clawitzer. Also, if we are playing M Tyranitar, which needs 2 damage counters to KO everything, why not play Decidueye. You would only need to play a 2-2-2 line because you would only need one per game. Or play the stadium Team Magma's secret base, another way to get down 2 damage counters on every pokemon.

Exp. Share is a must, otherwise there is no way to get a backup Tyranitar running. Dangerous Energy is one thought that went through my mind, but if I run any more Special Energy, I'll need 3-4 Special Charges or Puzzles. So I stuck with Basic Dark. Once again, if I go with Eye, then it's not just that 6 spaces for the line I have to find, it's also 3 spaces for Forest and 2 more for Timer Balls... besides, Celebi is great at stalling as well as damage spread. Magma's Base is another idea that deserves more than a small thought, and I encountered a guy online, full set of FAs and SRs that was using Magma's Base as well as Hoopa (non-EX) to spread damage. Unfortunately for him, I was using the Aero Force. Which is unaffected by Magma's Base. Overall, worth finding space for Magma's Base, but the others I don't like.

• Upvote 1

Believe it or not, I actually have a guy at league who plays Mega Tyranitar. The only problem he has is that the deck is to slow, so I am able to out speed him, even when I am starting with a stuck hand. Maybe you play this like Primal Groundon, and just not use spirit links. Prehaps you start with Wobb.

Edited by Muggedkip

Believe it or not, I actually have a guy at league who plays Mega Tyranitar. The only problem he has is that the deck is to slow, so I am able to out speed him, even when I am starting with a stuck hand. Maybe you play this like Primal Groundon, and just not use spirit links. Prehaps you start with Wobb.

In that case...  BRING ON the BEACH!!! :P

Lol, if we want to stick to standard, Professer Oaks Hint. Reprinted in Evolutions;

I would +1 you for the signature...  But I'm out of upvotes for today. :(

Tomorrow. ;) 

In that case...  BRING ON the BEACH!!! :P

Lol, if we want to stick to standard, Professer Oaks Hint. Reprinted in Evolutions;

Interesting. But there are three slight holes which bring the cave of ideas slamming down on our heads. First, Oak's Hint is useless. The whole reason Beach is so good is you can draw cards after using your Supporter. Oak's Hint kinda, more than a little, defeats the objective there. Second, how to spread the damage if Wobb is our Active? Eye get locked by Wobb and... well. Finally, Tyranitar lacks Barrier Trait, which makes it very easy for anyone to Lysandre it up front and destroy it before we're ready, removing Ability lock in the process, allowing them to get set up. :( 

On a more positive note I'm going to look at Lele pull rates now, as I said before. I'll make the following assumptions, since nobody told me anything.

• One in every three packs contains a GX of some description, be it normal, FA or SR, that replaces the rare for that pack. Other FA/SR cards can be ignored.
  • The Reverse Holo has the same chance of being any rarity of card as any other card in the pack. (In other words, if there is 5 Commons to a pack, the RH has a 5/10 chance of being a common. By extension, it has a 1/10 chance of being a Energy or Rare, and a 3/10 chance of being a Uncommon.)
  • There are 12 GXs in S&M:GR, and each has an equal chance of appearing. They all have their own FA and SR versions, that, again, have the same rarity as each other.
  • The Reverse Holo for the pack can be a GX, even if the Rare is also a GX.

So, in any given pack your chance of the rare card being a GX of any kind is 1/3. The chance of the RH being a GX is 1/30. (Therefore your chance of getting two GXs in the same pack should be 1/90, small enough to test whether this can happen.) The chance of a GX being Lele is 1/12. Therefore:

1/12 * 1/3 = 1/36 - your base pull rate.

Then the RH may be a Lele.

1/12 * 1/30 = 1/360 - your chance of getting a Lele and a non-RH Rare in the same pack.

So, your chance of getting at least one Lele is:

1/360 + 1/36 = 11/360 or 3.05% or around once every 32-33 packs.

(This also suggests your chance of getting two Leles is 1/12960. Ouch.)

Best of luck to all those Lele hunting. You may need it.