The Mindless Nonsense Begins-My Ideas

theotherguytm

Moving on, from Australia, the latest in the TCG.

They said if Garbodor disappeared, Decidueye would break the meta.

I noted that Garbodor seemed to be being slowly phased away from the top.

You can guess the rest.

Volcanion - 4 (Masters Champion)

Vileplume-Decidueye (Vileye) - 7 (Masters and Seniors runner-up)

TurboDark - 2

Decidueye - 1

Mega Garde Brilliance - 3 (Seniors and Juniors Champion, Juniors runner-up)

Mega Mewtwo - 2

Y-Garb - 2

Mega Alakazam - 1

Mega Ray - 1

Vespstrika - 1

Congratulations to all those players that fitted 2 Stage 2s into the same deck, using a deck that I will call Vileye. As a result of all this Grass power, Volcanion has done some major damage too. Brilliance seems to be quite an underrated meta pick as well, probably due to the fact it uses many high-HP pokemon and is one of the few decks capable of 1HKOing Decidueye. Resistance to Dark types helps too.

A quick note on a new archetype: Espeon GX and Mega Alakazam. Natural synergy, though weak vs decks with healing effects. Not likely to trouble the top tier.

Thanks for reading, and I apologise for not writing more, as time is getting on. I will be back, though with what, even I don't know. Your thoughts on this, or anything else, below!

I did! I read everything! Love the ideas! The craziness is awesome! Hopefully we can come up with some decks together or something! Would really like to work with you if that's okay!

Also, it appears I have all the cards (in real life) to build a cradily deck! I will definitely do some deck testing and tweaking to make it work!

I did! I read everything! Love the ideas! The craziness is awesome! Hopefully we can come up with some decks together or something! Would really like to work with you if that's okay!

Sounds cool. Post your own ideas, or comment with your own thoughts on any of mine. Enjoy the Cradily testing, but remember to concede to Trev decks, as they are cancer.

Yeah, even Vileplume is hard, any item Lock is an auto-loss. I will play test at a local league and against a couple of my friends. Sadly, I don't have all the cards for the PTCGO or else testing it there would also help. I'll post my tested deck list once I feel comfortable that it's good.

I agree 4 Talonflames are the way to go, must have been a lapse. When i tried the deck out, besides feeling clunky, one problem i had was having in hand/discraded/prized the pokémons i wanted to bench. Rainbow energy is because i need 2 types of energy to attack, grass and psychic, and i still need enough water for Greninja. Would you have me use the 3 different basic energies? I'll try it that way. But the deck is very clunky. I think it's not worth it. The better idea is Dragonite/Vikavolt

I also have no idea of what any of this "Novice Trainer" nonsense is! I've been playing since 2000!

That rating is based on the posts you made in the forum,and i'm not sure if the likes are included.

That rating is based on the posts you made in the forum,and i'm not sure if the likes are included.

Oh! In that case, shouldn't be that hard to get to a higher level.

I have results from testing! So, Cradily/Gengar/Greninja is an awesome idea. I was able to pull off the turn 1 Archie's about 7/10 times. The most Energy I ever placed on a Cradily was 3 which was enough, sadly they don't survive that long. I also found out that the deck needed more Energy-recycling cards, which I did add. Also bench space is kind of an issue with this deck.

So here is how my first test went (against one of my friends, playing Zygarde/Carbink).

So, I started with Talonflame, like I wanted. I wanted to Archie's in Ninja before I focused on Cradily, just so my deck would be thinner and it would be easier to hit the fossils. I was able to dump my whole hand and CPU Search for a Archie's.

I then played a Trainers' Mail and found a Root Fossil. I played it and to my surprise, there was lileep in the bottom 7 cards. I then did a little compressing and managed to get 2 Cradily out. I attached to Talonflame, searched for an Energy and Cradily and ended my turn. (Do note I went second.)

Then my opponent did their stuff, then passed.

I evolved my lileep, retreated Talonflame, attached to Cradily and sent out gengar.

His turn was pretty good, he got out Carbink BREAK and a Zygarde with Power Memory. Only got 20 Dmage on though.

So next turn I attacked with Cradily and got another Gengar out.

From there, all I had to do was use Water Shuriken and Instant knock out with a Gengar. Pretty nice list, clunkish set up though. Also played against Giratina/Vileplume, Died instantly. No use playing that out. I was happy with the resulting decklist though!

What was it?

Dragonite AT/Vikavolt... Dragonite taking 1 more prize and being fed by Vikavolt might work out briliantly. Plus it uses grass and lightning energies, good for Cradily.

Edited by Cuqk

Dragonite AT/Vikavolt... Dragonite taking 1 more prize and being fed by Vikavolt might work out briliantly. Plus it uses grass and lightning energies, good for Cradily.

Oh yes, I might have to make my on take on the deck... hmm.

Inspired by my own idea:

Vesp-Flareon-Talonflame

Talonflame is a very good card when it gets out. But when it does not, it is a waste of deck space. And even when it does work, 3 cards are left in your deck doing nothing. So, it links up therefore with Battle Compressor to discard it from the deck, and get it out of the way. But Battle Compressor is rotating from Standard. So what Expanded deck could use this combo? A deck which uses Battle Compressor already and benefits from Pokemon in the discard pile...

Vesp-Flareon.

So the idea with this deck is to try for a Talonflame start, and discard the other Talonflame. If it does not get out, it means more Vengeance fuel. My brother suggested the name...

Vesp-TalonFlare

Pokemon: 26

Eevee: 3

Flareon: 3

Jolteon: 1

Combee: 3

Vespiquen: 3

Talonflame: 4

Talonflame BREAK: 1

Unown: 4

Exeggcute: 2

Audino: 1

Mr Mime: 1

Energy: 8

DCE: 4

Fire: 4

Trainers: 26

Battle Compressor: 4

Puzzle of Time: 4

VS Seeker: 4

Ultra Ball: 4

Silver Bangle: 2

Life Dew: 1

Super Rod: 1

Blacksmith: 1

Professor Sycamore: 4

Hex Maniac: 1

A classic with a few twists. I've had to cut down on the main lines to allow for more room, and I'm playing an entirely non-EX deck. The addition of Puzzle of Time in particular allows for some sneaky tricks. By re-using Life Dew and Super Rod, my opponent my have to beat 9 Pokemon! A horrifying prospect for any opponent. Jolteon is standard anti-Mega Ray and Yveltal, exploiting their Weakness to the full. Aero Blitz in combination with good Trainers negates the need for Shaymin or Jirachi, as it can find any 2 cards you need. Including Hex Maniac, which is my reply to Archeops. Blacksmith can refuel a retreated Talonflame BREAK fro a fast Flare Blitz, or supply a quick Vengeance. Sliver Bangle allows Flare Blitz to hit the crucial 180 mark, or adds damage while this discard pile is still loading up.

So what are your thoughts? Please reply below...

Ooohh! My favorite deck! Vespiquen! (Actually I can't decide between Vespiquen and Archie's Blastoise :() I love the idea of Talonflame! I will most certainly build this deck! Some things to note are:

- No Lysandre!? Not even one?

- Silver Bangle, replace with Choice Band when it is released (Does 30 more damage to EXs and GXs)

- I feel like it need mail....? Maybe.... With Talonflame.... maybe not?.....

Other than that it looks like a cool idea! I will do some tweaking on no Lysandre though.... Looks like space is a tough thing here though... That Life Dew+Puzzle is evil. Denying prizes is always good, especially since all of the Pokémon give up a single prize.

Also coming up with some deck lists of my own, that I want to try out.

Well, thank you computer for crashing right when I was in the middle of posting, and thank you forums for not auto-saving any of it. Starting again...

Ooohh! My favorite deck! Vespiquen! (Actually I can't decide between Vespiquen and Archie's Blastoise :() I love the idea of Talonflame! I will most certainly build this deck! Some things to note are:

- No Lysandre!? Not even one?

- Silver Bangle, replace with Choice Band when it is released (Does 30 more damage to EXs and GXs)

- I feel like it need mail....? Maybe.... With Talonflame.... maybe not?.....

Other than that it looks like a cool idea! I will do some tweaking on no Lysandre though.... Looks like space is a tough thing here though... That Life Dew+Puzzle is evil. Denying prizes is always good, especially since all of the Pokémon give up a single prize.

Also coming up with some deck lists of my own, that I want to try out.

This list is old, I would now go with Brocks Guts rather than a rod, and yes, Choice when it comes out. Thanks for trying Cradily!

Now something a little more evil.

Seeds of Terror

Pokémon-20

​4 Phantump BrPo

4 Trev BrPo

4 Trev BREAK

3 Wobb Gen

1 Tapu Lele GX

1 Skarmory S&M

2 'Pup

2 Herdier

Energy-8

3 DOC

5 Psy

Trainers-32

4 VS Seeker

4 Ultra Ball

4 Puzzle of Time

2 C Hammer

2 E Hammer

2 Float Stone

3 Prof Syc

2 N

2 Wally

1 Lysandre

1 Team Flare Grunt

1 Team Skull Grunt

1 Ninja Boy

Since all my work got deleted, I'm not really in the mood to do it all over again. So, just feast your eyes on the counter-meta power, and Energy-hate

Replies from anyone, about anything are, as always, welcome.

4-4-3 Trevenant? Works better in my opinion. Also, the Herdier line to get back Hammer or Puzzles is a nice combo. Also, sucks we don't have Dimension Valley anymore. Also might consider running Grass Phantump with Forest of Giant Plants? It ensures you get the Turn-1 Trevenant. Then, you can drop the Wally and switch them for some more Energy hate. Also where's my Shay Shay? Lol

Brock's Guts xD

4-4-3 Trevenant? Works better in my opinion. Also, the Herdier line to get back Hammer or Puzzles is a nice combo. Also, sucks we don't have Dimension Valley anymore. Also might consider running Grass Phantump with Forest of Giant Plants? It ensures you get the Turn-1 Trevenant. Then, you can drop the Wally and switch them for some more Energy hate. Also where's my Shay Shay? Lol

Brock's Guts xD

There isn't any Grass Phantump. The whole no-Shaymin is because Wobbuffet can then be active T1 with more freedom, and it removes a Lysandre target. This is where Lele comes in. It's Ability isn't turned off by Wobbuffet, it can pull Wally and it's a situational attacker, so it's not a complete lemming. I guess Brocks Guts is a maybe, but I would rather keep with the security of a 4-4-4 line. The extra 50 HP is massive, and leaving even one Trev without it is asking for trouble. Plus Silent Fear-->Psychic Assault is how the deck earns its pay.

Moving on to the Expanded Format, a look at the Portland Regionals. How has S&M changed Expanded? Only one way to find out...

Maxie's Y - 3 (Masters Champion and runner-up)

TurboDark - 2

NM - 1

Primal Groudon - 2 (Seniors runner-up)

SableGarb - 1

ToadGarb - 2 (Seniors Champion)

Vileye - 1

Rainbow Road - 1

DarkTina - 3 (Juniors Champion)

Volcanion - 1

Mega Ray - 3

Donphan - 1 (Juniors runner-up)

Lurantis-Vile - 1

Mega Man - 1

Archie's Blastoise - 1

Quite the diverse set of results. It's hard to say which deck is top, as although Maxie's Y ended up ruling the roost in the Masters Division, it failed to impact elsewhere. Though Dark decks did take two wins and occupied 8/24 places (discounting Sableye), a lot of other decks had their time in the limelight. Notable absences though were Trev, ToadBats, ToadTina and VespFlare, with the Toadeye deck some thought might go straight to T1 failing to materialise. Item lock does not seem to have the same impact in Expanded it used to, with the two Toad decks that were used reverting to Garbodor with a new complement of Tauros GX, Rock Guard, Pokemon Communication (?!) and Prism Energy.

A few Standard decks tried their luck in Expanded, with Volcanion, Vileye and Lunatis-Vile making the jump, but only Vileye made it to the semis. Expanded and Standard seem more and more like completely different formats with each new set and rotation. It does seem like 2017/18 Standard will be a much slower format, so once Shaymin EX rotates, these two formats will be on completely different plains. Will there ever be another deck capable of wiping out Standard and Expanded without having to completely change its strategy (looking at you, Rainbow Road), the way Toad and NM did? Your thoughts below!

Mega Rayquaza doesn't have much lose either.

Also, there will be a Grass Phantump in Guarduans Rising, which is why I mentioned it. Also, makes sense about no Shaymin, didn't see Wobbuffet. Also with the Grass Phantump you could take out Wally and free up a couple spots.

Also I don't feel like Brock's Guts needs to be there, just thought it was funny, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Mega Rayquaza doesn't have much lose either.

Also, there will be a Grass Phantump in Guarduans Rising, which is why I mentioned it. Also, makes sense about no Shaymin, didn't see Wobbuffet. Also with the Grass Phantump you could take out Wally and free up a couple spots.

Also I don't feel like Brock's Guts needs to be there, just thought it was funny, lol.

Mega Ray is completely different beast in Expanded. Though it seems to have a similar core on the surface, compare two decklists and they will be completely different in terms of Trainers. I did not know of the Grass Phantump, thanks for that! The main issue is it leaves the deck quite vulnerable to Grass decks, and Ascension is not an option (unless the Grass one can do that as well!).

Now I will give you my summary of What's Hot and What's Not in the TCG.

HOT

• Decidueye-You all know it by now. A real powerhouse to be feared.
  • Vileplume-Yep.
  • Darkness-Has been at T1 since Dark Explorers, will remain there indefinitely. Or till Darkrai gets bored.
  • Dowsing Machine-Enjoying a period in vogue, with it being almost as popular as Computer Search last time out.
  • Tauros GX-Every deck you can think of is teching this card in.
  • Mewtwo EX-Because he said he'd kill me if he wasn't here. HAIL THE BROKEN ONE!
  • Mega Gardevoir EX-TWO powerful decks based off two good cards doing well.
  • Mega Ray-Still a threat, despite being "fragile".

​NOT

• Greninja-Has done a ninja vanishing trick-vanishing from the Meta!
  • Garbodor-Failing to contain the outbreak of Ability decks, and with the new Field Blower coming up, Garbotoxin has never looked so useless.
  • Trev-Time to celebrate and rejoice, for the cancer of Expanded has been cured!
  • Vesp-Fading under the fire of its fellow Grass decks.
  • Solegleo GX-? With an attack and support like that? Stage 2s that aren't Grass type are invalid right now. As they have been for a long time.

Your thoughts below!

Edited by theotherguytm

Unfortunately, the Grass Phantump has useless attacks. Thought the Guardians Rising Trevenant might be something to take a look at with Vileplume. I've been testing a list with it and it works really well! Sadly, Vespiquen has started to go under the radar, with Vileplume gaining some attention now, since the release of Ancient Orgins.

Oh! Greninja! How everybody loved that frog. It really just can't compete with the Meta being this fast now. Also Giratina PROMO hurts a lot.

Mega Mewtwo is still a powerful force. So is Damage Change. It still deserves a spot in the Meta.

In expanded, I've been seeing a lot of Trev actually. It is gaining a couple things in Guardians Rising though....

Also, you're right about Mega Ray being slightly different in expanded. Rainbow Road is an awesome deck, but it lacks the "oomph" to make it a little faster.

Unfortunately, the Grass Phantump has useless attacks. Thought the Guardians Rising Trevenant might be something to take a look at with Vileplume. I've been testing a list with it and it works really well! Sadly, Vespiquen has started to go under the radar, with Vileplume gaining some attention now, since the release of Ancient Orgins.

Oh! Greninja! How everybody loved that frog. It really just can't compete with the Meta being this fast now. Also Giratina PROMO hurts a lot.

Mega Mewtwo is still a powerful force. So is Damage Change. It still deserves a spot in the Meta.

In expanded, I've been seeing a lot of Trev actually. It is gaining a couple things in Guardians Rising though....

Also, you're right about Mega Ray being slightly different in expanded. Rainbow Road is an awesome deck, but it lacks the "oomph" to make it a little faster.

Rainbow Road. In Expanded, it's based off Rebirth Ho-oh EX, in Standard, Volcanion EX and Hoopa EX. It does seem to have vanished from the meta recently, even before S&M came out.

Vespiquen is countered by one guy playing Karen. Even if he does badly, he'll still beat any Vesp decks he faces. It's just not worth gambling on none of your 12+ foes you'll face playing Karen, because even if two people play it, that's your tournament over. Plus, Combee is an easy target for Decidueye.

Another event report. I just seem to be short on ideas right now.

Volcanion - 1 (Masters Champion)

TurboDark - 7 (Masters runner-up)

Vileye - 3

DarkTina - 1

Mega Mewtwo - 1

Decidueye - 1 (Seniors Champion)

Y-Garb - 2 (Seniors runner-up)

Mega Ray - 4 (Juniors runner-up)

Lapras - 2

Lycanrock-Carbink - 1 (Juniors Champion)

Garde Brilliance - 1

Once again, the lesson to take away is to bring something that others don't expect. Bringing Decidueye without Vileplume was a gamble, but it paid off as cards like VS Seeker and Enhanced Hammmer were playable. And bringing a Lycanroc deck that had a poor matchup with Grass decks along with a Carbink that could not stop GX decks was even more of a gamble, but it more than paid off as dominant Dark decks were crushed left, right, and centre. And bringing a deck with only 5 Pokémon, 4 of which were Lapras GX is one heck of a gamble, but two members of the field made it work. Though TurboDark was at its all-destroying best, the finals were pretty evenly split between decks.

That's all for now. Please reply to this with anything you want.

Turbo Darkrai?! Whats that?! Never heard of it.

Anyway, on a more serious note, it seems to be the deck to beat at the moment. It has a *ok* matchup against item lock and most things. Hopefully by the time a few more sets release Dark will see its end.