Shrine of Memories 3

Professor Sycamore 3

Blacksmith 2

N 2

Lysandre 1

Hex Maniac

1 Team Flare Grunt 1

Pokémon 11 Energy 10 Trainers 39 Total 60

Another trip down memory lane. But now this deck is Expanded-only, and there's probably a Spirit Link on the way for M Char. So, never a better time than the present to update and upgrade!

Crimson Punch(E) (assuming Charizard Spirit Link is coming)

Pokémon 11

Seismitoad EX 3 

Charizard EX(Wing Attack) 2 

M Charizard EX(Crimson Dive) 2

Hoopa EX 1 

Shaymin EX 2  

Volcanion 1

Energy 10 

Double Colourless 4 

Basic Fire 6 

Trainers 39 

Ultra Ball 4

Puzzle Of Time 4

VS Seeker 4 

Battle Compressor 2

Tool Scrapper 2

Charizard Spirit Link 2

Protection Cube 2

Muscle Band 3

Shrine of Memories 3

Professor Sycamore 3

Blacksmith 2

N 2

Ninja Boy 1

Lysandre 1

Hex Maniac 1

Team Flare Grunt 1

Skyla 1

Computer Search 1

I decided that I was, overall, happy with this deck. But there were a few tweaks, some down to being in Expanded, others the result of new sets. I put the changes in bold.

The key one is the replacement of Tool Retrieval with Tool Scrapper. I did this as once a Spirit Link is used, it is worthless. So discarding it is every bit as good as adding it to your hand. Tool Scrapper can also be used to interfere with my opponent's Tools that escape Quaking Punch, and shut off Garbotoxin.

Volcanion's addition was based on the logic that I no longer needed Double Trait, and I felt the deck could use some support, so I sacrificed a little firepower in return for Power Heater and Energy acceleration, vital if you want to use a 5-Energy attack. And Ninja Boy just worked so perfectly with the deck, that not including was criminal. Its power is self-explanatory.

Other than that, I largely kept with the same theme. Next time, my 2nd self-destruct test and Shaymin EX against the numbers. Surely one of the 27/28 RS it's worth would contain one anyway??

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theotherguytm

• FlavorfulPineAp

• SuperStone

• Pika36521

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What can I say, some people think the old ways are best. And now, a deck that is 70% troll, and 100% fun! (If you have my slightly strange sense of humour...)     Analysis    

Hello all, The purpose of this topic is quite simple: to try and put the ideas I generate in my head down on paper where they can be discussed, and perhaps taken advantage of by someone with a much b

Inspired by my own idea: Vesp-Flareon-Talonflame   Talonflame is a very good card when it gets out. But when it does not, it is a waste of deck space. And even when it does work, 3 cards are left i

UselessEX

I stand corrected on Seaking.

Electrode is hopeless. Continuous Tumble is unreliable at best, and Energy Bomb does only 70 damage for 3. The Energy moving is a nice one-shot-wonder trick, if you get the chance to use it.

The problem is, Hidden Depths does not really depend on coins if you play it right. Even 4 tails (1/16 chance) on Aqua Tail is still a 1HKO on anything without triple-figure health. Tri Edge and Thrash, more chancy, agreed, but if either of those attacks have a good run, nothing can win against Hidden Depths. Or, if you hate the coin, just use Freezing Wind, or Berserker Splash and Full Retaliation.

Crushing Current is to Basic Green as Hidden Depths is to Basic Blue.

Except instead of Sycamore and VS Seeker, Crushing Current has Tierno and Shauna. The difference is huge.

And whoever said Hidden Depths depths has no draw power, well, ahem, come in N.

Dewgong is one of my favourites. If he attacks you and you don't remove the Conditions, there's a 1/4 chance of you doing anything on your next turn.

Hidden Depths is like Basic Blue in that it takes a while to get going, but nothing is going to survive an Aqua Tail or a Thrash.

Probably Crushing Current is the quicker, but unless Crushing Current can get in several Weakness shots, Hidden Depths can beat it.

i never seen a single player count on Continuous Tumble other then a last hope attack

energy bomb if used right is a free attack 

hidden depth count on coins badly and im not only talking about the pokemon you named only im talking also about Dewgong so many times they count on that pokemon coin flips to save them for a turn from mini ray (aka Raichu )

​N is an awesome support but heres the deal unlike in standard/expended games in theme decks the enemy is almost always stack so N is a free support for the enemy as will 

also look what i said above is the number of drawing cards hidden depth only have 2 N and a lass crushing current have 4 draw supports + cycles and lucky helmets

BowserLuigi

I stand corrected on Seaking.

Electrode is hopeless. Continuous Tumble is unreliable at best, and Energy Bomb does only 70 damage for 3. The Energy moving is a nice one-shot-wonder trick, if you get the chance to use it.

The problem is, Hidden Depths does not really depend on coins if you play it right. Even 4 tails (1/16 chance) on Aqua Tail is still a 1HKO on anything without triple-figure health. Tri Edge and Thrash, more chancy, agreed, but if either of those attacks have a good run, nothing can win against Hidden Depths. Or, if you hate the coin, just use Freezing Wind, or Berserker Splash and Full Retaliation.

Crushing Current is to Basic Green as Hidden Depths is to Basic Blue.

Except instead of Sycamore and VS Seeker, Crushing Current has Tierno and Shauna. The difference is huge.

And whoever said Hidden Depths depths has no draw power, well, ahem, come in N.

Dewgong is one of my favourites. If he attacks you and you don't remove the Conditions, there's a 1/4 chance of you doing anything on your next turn.

Hidden Depths is like Basic Blue in that it takes a while to get going, but nothing is going to survive an Aqua Tail or a Thrash.

Probably Crushing Current is the quicker, but unless Crushing Current can get in several Weakness shots, Hidden Depths can beat it.

Electrode is not hopeless. As long as you have a Zapdos or Kangaskhan or something else on the bench to pass the baton to then he's actually pretty good. And you will have the chance to use it. Just transfer the energy if you think the enemy can KO electrode on the next turn. Even if they don't kill electrode, his retreat cost is only 1 energy so just attach one and retreat him that way.

theotherguytm

Well, I concede the point on Electrode. But Dewgong is not really gambling on the coin. You actually have a 1/4 of attacking after being hit by Freezing Breath, which means Dewgong is a pretty safe bet. But still, Raticate?

And as promised my most recent test. I managed to deck myself out after 3 turns of play. Enjoy.

Game Log Output Begins Here:
    1. It is now Nathan's turn (Turn #1).
    2. theotherguytm drew Roller Skates.
    3. Nathan drew a card.
    4. theotherguytm drew Roggenrola.
    5. Nathan drew a card.
    6. theotherguytm drew Professor Sycamore.
    7. Nathan drew a card.
    8. theotherguytm drew Professor's Letter.
    9. Nathan drew a card.
    10. theotherguytm drew Skyla.
    11. Nathan drew a card.
    12. theotherguytm drew Fire Energy.
    13. Nathan drew a card.
    14. theotherguytm drew Acro Bike.
    15. Nathan drew a card.
    16. Roggenrola became theotherguytm's new Active Pokémon.
    17. Nathan drew a card.
    30. It is now theotherguytm's turn (Turn #2).
    31. theotherguytm drew Fiery Torch.
    32. theotherguytm played Acro Bike.
    33. theotherguytm drew Lucky Helmet.
    34. theotherguytm attached a Lucky Helmet to Roggenrola.
    35. theotherguytm played Fiery Torch.
    36. theotherguytm drew Fighting Energy.
    37. theotherguytm drew Scorched Earth.
    38. theotherguytm played Scorched Earth.
    39. theotherguytm attached a Fighting Energy to Roggenrola.
    40. theotherguytm played Professor's Letter.
    41. theotherguytm drew Fire Energy.
    42. theotherguytm drew Fire Energy.
    43. theotherguytm played Scorched Earth.
    44. theotherguytm drew Acro Bike.
    45. theotherguytm drew Professor Sycamore.
    46. theotherguytm played Acro Bike.
    47. theotherguytm drew VS Seeker.
    48. theotherguytm played Roller Skates.
    49. theotherguytm flipped 1 coin(s), resulting in 0 heads and 1 tails, for Roller Skates.
    50. theotherguytm played Professor Sycamore.
    51. theotherguytm drew Trainers' Mail.
    52. theotherguytm drew Gigalith.
    53. theotherguytm drew Ultra Ball.
    54. theotherguytm drew Skyla.
    55. theotherguytm drew Random Receiver.
    56. theotherguytm drew Trainers' Mail.
    57. theotherguytm drew Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear.
    58. theotherguytm played Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear.
    59. theotherguytm played Trainers' Mail.
    60. theotherguytm drew Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear.
    61. theotherguytm played Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear.
    62. theotherguytm played Trainers' Mail.
    63. theotherguytm drew Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear.
    64. theotherguytm played Ultra Ball.
    65. theotherguytm drew Boldore.
    66. theotherguytm played Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear.
    67. It is now Nathan's turn (Turn #3).
    77. It is now theotherguytm's turn (Turn #4).
    78. theotherguytm drew Fighting Energy.
    79. Boldore became theotherguytm's new Active Pokémon.
    80. theotherguytm attached a Lucky Helmet to Boldore.
    81. theotherguytm's Roggenrola evolved into Boldore.
    82. theotherguytm played Scorched Earth.
    83. theotherguytm drew Acro Bike.
    84. theotherguytm drew Roller Skates.
    85. theotherguytm played Roller Skates.
    86. theotherguytm flipped 1 coin(s), resulting in 1 heads and 0 tails, for Roller Skates.
    87. theotherguytm drew Roller Skates.
    88. theotherguytm drew Acro Bike.
    89. theotherguytm drew Random Receiver.
    90. theotherguytm played Random Receiver.
    91. theotherguytm drew Professor Sycamore.
    92. theotherguytm played Acro Bike.
    93. theotherguytm drew Ultra Ball.
    94. theotherguytm played Roller Skates.
    95. theotherguytm flipped 1 coin(s), resulting in 0 heads and 1 tails, for Roller Skates.
    96. theotherguytm played Ultra Ball.
    97. theotherguytm drew Entei. (AnOr with Burning Roar)
    98. theotherguytm put Entei onto the Bench.
    99. theotherguytm played Professor Sycamore.
    100. theotherguytm drew Professor's Letter.
    101. theotherguytm drew Random Receiver.
    102. theotherguytm drew Ultra Ball.
    103. theotherguytm drew Ultra Ball.
    104. theotherguytm drew Professor Sycamore.
    105. theotherguytm drew Roller Skates.
    106. theotherguytm drew Fighting Energy.
    107. theotherguytm attached a Fighting Energy to Entei.
    108. It is now Nathan's turn (Turn #5).
    118. Nathan flipped 1 coin(s), resulting in 0 heads and 1 tails, for Stomp.
    119. Nathan's Tropius used Stomp and did 100 damage to theotherguytm's Boldore.
    120. Nathan took a Prize card.
    121. Entei became theotherguytm's new Active Pokémon.
    122. theotherguytm's Boldore was Knocked Out.
    123. It is now theotherguytm's turn (Turn #6).

Game Log Output Ends Here
theotherguytm

And on a unrelated note, how much is Shaymin EX worth?

For this calculation, I will discount FAs and Secret Rares. (If anyone does know the rate of these, please let me know.)

In any one pack you have:

5 commons

3 uncommons

1 rare (which has a 1/4 chance of being an EX)

And based on this, I assume:

1 RH (5/9 common, 3/9 uncommon, 1/9 rare (and therefore 1/36 EX))

It's the EXs we want. There are 11 EXs in Roaring ****. So, the chance of the rare being Shaymin EX is 1/4 * 1/11 or 1/44.

And the Reverse holo has a 1/9 * 1/44 = 1/396 chance of being Shaymin EX.

So, your chance of getting Shaymin EX from any given RoSk pack is: 1/44 + 1/396 = 5/198

In human terms, that means that you would need to open 39.6 RoSk packs to get a Shaymin on average. While the FAs and Secret Rares may tip the balance, this shows that Shaymin EX is priced quite modestly despite constant demand at 28 RoSk.

You may ask, "If the EXs are really that rare, why is it that next to none are that expensive?" Supply and demand. Because the demand is much lower for other EXs, the price drops. For Shaymin, the demand is constant, so the price is constant.

And there you have it. Please give your thoughts on this or anything else as usual, and I'll be back, though not with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

theotherguytm

Dragon Dance(S)

Charizard EX (Stoke) 3

M Charizard EX (Wild Blaze) 3

Hydreigon EX 1

Reshiram (Turboblaze) 2

Latias EX (Fast Raid) 2

Hoopa EX 1

Shaymin EX 2

Giratina EX 1

Double Dragon Energy 4

Basic Fire 6

Dark 2

Ultra Ball 4

Puzzle Of Time 4

VS Seeker 4

Sacred Ash 2

Energy Returner 2

Trainer's Mail 2

Professor's Letter 1

Fighting Fury Belt 2

Sky Field 3

Professor Sycamore 4

N 2

Lysandre 1

Hex Maniac 1

Blacksmith 1

Pokémon 15 Energy 12 Trainers 33 Total 60

Since it has been confirmed that Mega Char is getting a Spirit Link, I will now move on to updating Dragon Dance.

Dragon Dance(E)

Pokemon 15

2 Charizard EX (Stoke)

2 M Charizard EX (Wild Blaze)

1 Hydreigon EX

2 Reshiram (Turboblaze)

1 Latias EX (Bright Down)

2 Latios EX (Fast Raid)

1 Giratina EX

1 Jirachi EX

1 Hoopa EX

2 Shaymin EX

Energy 12

4 DODR

4 Blend Energy (G,F,P,D)

4 Basic Fire

Trainers 33

4 Ultra Ball

4 Puzzle Of Time

4 VS Seeker

2 Sacred Ash

1 Professor's Letter

1 Tool Scrapper

2 Fighting Fury Belt

2 Charizard Spirit Link

2 Skyarrow Bridge

4 Professor Sycamore

2 N

1 Lysandre

1 Pokemon Fan Club

1 Hex Maniac

1 Skyla

1 Computer Search

Up and running. I decided to reduce the Char line to a 2-2, despite the Spirit Links, to try and give this deck a wider range of options. I did exactly that by adding in Jirachi EX and Latios EX. Although the former is merely a staple, I decided on the latter over Ray and Gabite. Ray overlapped too much with Hydreigon EX (who's powers have been pushed to the limit by Skyarrow Bridge) and Gabite took too much room to set up. Instead, Latios EX and Bright Down is a perfect edge against Pokemon with Abilities (and since Barrier Break ignores effects like Shred does, it can turn the table on Safeguarders, and make Ray a really stupid pick.) and is the perfect option for facing decks like Tren, VirGen, and Darkness (Fright Night, Dark Cloak, Premonition Gallade... scrummy.).

Blend Energy was an easy add, cutting down on the Dark and Fire, and thus making Blacksmith and Energy Returner redundant. Tool Scrapper is such a versatile card, and the Fan Club pulls the specific Dragons I need.

So, as normal, please, please comment on this anything else. Even if you have a stupid thought, to quote Ender's Shadow: "To hold your stupidity inside you is to embrace it, to cling to it, to protect it. But when you expose your stupidity, you give yourself the chance to have it caught, corrected and replaced with wisdom."

Edited by theotherguytm
theotherguytm

Edit to previous deck:

- 1 Blend Energy

+ 1 Ninja Boy

Because it's good to not make up your mind.

And now, the new most annoying deck that doesn't do Item Lock.

Limiter On(E)

Pokemon 19

4 Pancham

4 Pangoro (Parting Shot)

3 Celebi (promo, Leap Through Time)

2 Remoriad

2 Octillery

2 Zorua (Ascention)

2 Zoroark (Stand In)

Energy 6

4 Basic Darkness

2 Dangerous Energy

Trainers 35

3 VS Seeker

4 Puzzle of Time

4 Ultra Ball

2 Revive

1 Dark Patch

3 Hard Charm

2 Muscle Band

2 Float Stone

1 Life Dew

2 Reverse Valley

4 Professor Sycamore

2 N

2 Wally

1 Lysandre

1 Pokemon Ranger

1 Gionvanni's Scheme

This one's been slowly concocting in my mind for a while. Ever since I got Pangoro, I've been wondering about its Parting Shot attack. It only does 10 damage, but it reduces your opponent's damage output massively, then drops Pangoro to the Bench. Muscle Band, Reverse Valley and Gionvanni's Scheme increase the output, Celebi takes the massively reduced hit, and Zoroark with a Float Stone swaps Pangoro back up front to repeat.

The key is when you consider how much damage is needed to break through Parting Shot. 70 damage is the minimum, and then Hard Charm pushes that minimum up to 90, which means a 140 damage hit is needed to bring down Celebi, which, thanks to it's Ability, may not even get you a Prize. Throw in Life Dew and Revive to make it even harder to take prizes and to re-use Celebi, and Puzzle of Time to use Life Dew again, and you have a deck that can do some major damage.

Even better, equip Pangoro with some Dangerous Energy, put him in the way instead, and you need a 180 hit to 1HKO him, a figure that can only go up. And that counterattack damage weakens your opponent further. And then cap it off with a Buster Swing for a minimum of 90 damage, great for Shaymins and Manaphys once you count in the extra damage.

While the core of this deck is Standard, it functions better in Expanded, and there are several other ideas I chose not to use with this build. LaserBank or Aridos for a little extra Poison damage never hurt anyone. Robo Sub or a Fighting type like Mienshao with Aero Turn and a Focus Sash to take the hit. And who doesn't like a few extra Assault Vests to further drop damage?

Give your thoughts on this, or anything else, below. All thoughts seem stupid from one angle or another, and we are our own worst critics. Next time, I'll be back with another early idea of mine: Lifesplosion Cradilly. It's about time someone put it in a deck.

theotherguytm

As promised, the long-concocted, long-researched:

Origin of Life(E)

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 17

* 4 Talonflame STS 96

* 1 Porygon-Z AOR 66

* 3 Lileep PLB 3

* 3 Cradily PLB 4

* 1 Vileplume AOR 3

* 2 Magnezone PLS 46

* 3 Mew-EX DRX 46

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 1 Professor's Letter XY 123

* 1 Ghetsis *******

* 1 Computer Search BCR 137

* 4 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear ******

* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

* 2 Crushing Hammer EPO 92

* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109

* 3 Root Fossil Lileep PLB 87

* 1 Ace Trainer AOR 69

* 1 Cassius XY 115

* 2 Delinquent BKP 98

* 1 Judge BKT 143

* 1 Lysandre ******

* 1 Trevor PR-XY XY33

* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107

* 1 Team Flare Grunt XY 129

* 2 Team Rocket's Handiwork *** 112

* 1 Xerosic *******

* 1 Skyla BKT 148

##Energy - 8

* 4 Grass Energy

* 4 Double Colorless Energy *** 114

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

A quick recap of why I love Cradily: Lifesplosion adds one Stage 2 from your deck to your Bench for each Energy on the Pokemon using it. Say no more.

I chose the the in-game deck generator for this deck, because there were simply so many possibilities and I wanted to double-check that I hadn't missed anything. As it is, I'm fairly pleased with the result, other than the fact that there was not enough deck-space for everything. As it is, I had several ideas I chose to go against to save deck space. Dragon Vault Salamence, in particular, came close to making into the deck. And the deck just cries out for some Dimension Valleys. But this is the result.

Once again, Talonflame shows its synergy with Fossil decks. My favourite jump-starter is just what this deck needs to get up and running. And even should it not get out, Lifesplosion and you can Areo Blitz next turn.

But the most significant improvement over my previous versions of this deck is Mew EX. Though it means conceding two prizes when it goes down, it also means Lifesplosion can be used from the Bench. And it also adds flexibility to Areo Blitz and Porygon-Z's Cyber Crush. Oh, did I forget to mention that? Cyber Crush discards all Special Energy your opponent has in play at the same time. Ouch! Now follow that up with a few Hammers, Ace Trainer/Judge-->Delinquent or 2 Team Rocket's Handiworks (thanks to Magnezone and Dual Brains Ability), and Porygon-Z's Slowing Beam to do 70 damage and increase the cost of your opponent's attacks by 1 Energy.

I repeat: OUCH!!!

And for the cruel, I added Vileplume. Because why not? (Quit crying!) It is fun to add Item Lock to 2 Supporters a turn and Cyber Crush. It won't be used in a few match-ups, but some decks will be destroyed by the mere prospect of facing Dual Brains under Item lock.

Well there you have it. What are you waiting for? Try it, and let me know if it flops! Even better, the core of this deck works in Legacy. Who will dare to try and surprise the duopoly of Weavile/Eggs and VirGenBi? After all, even Vileplume is available in Legacy! Please add your thoughts on this, or anything else!

Edited by theotherguytm
  • 2 weeks later...
theotherguytm

999 Views!

And now, a quick guide to the best bits (IMO, please reply if you agree, or disagree with any of this) of XY-Evolutions.

Beedrill
Interesting. Given you only need 3 to go Shaymin hunting, there's some potential. The fact it cost 2 Energy rather than one is big minus, however, as is the frail 120HP. When it goes down, it'll be hard to return it to play.

M Venusaur EX
Mega Turbos and FOGP for maximum Special Conditions? Worth a look, especially with the Spirit Link.

Charizard
BOOM! IT'S FINALLY BACK!
But perhaps a bit slow. Nevertheless, you may win some games because people refuse to fight it.

Ninetales BREAK
Stadium Lock with added teeth. Burning Energy a must.

M Blastiose EX
Again, now worth a look. Excels at Lysandred Shaymin killing.

M Slowbro EX
Wha? Could be worth it, could just be 1HKOed by Emerald Break.

Starmie BREAK
Could be a game changer in some matchups. Particularly I see more traditional Greninja decks using it for mirror matches and Energy recovery.

Electrode
Risky. But could be so worth it, if only for a T1 Zapdos attack. I see Donk...

Mewtwo
Anti M Mewtwo written all over it. 3 Energy on Mewtwo EX, or 4 on Mega Mewtwo EX, with a FFB and it's a 1HKO.

Mewtwo EX
Made to be Mega Evolved. No more needs saying.

Mew
So cute. Shame about the 40 HP.

Dugtrio
That Ability on Diglett... Donphan Prime 2.0? Keep one eye out for this with Zygarde and Geostrike.

M Pidgeot EX
Sorry. No. Just no.

The rat
We were promised a way to discard Tools. Here it is! Problem 1: only works on Active. Problem 2: Garbotoxin.
Doh.

Raticate
Potentially the most powerful card in the set. Raticate BREAK and Aridos just got scary in time for Halloween.

Dragonite EX
Now joining Hoopa EX and Shaymin EX in almost every deck you can think of. Mega Ray will return.

Brock's Grit
A Super-duper Rod. Expect to see, especially where Item lock is around.

Professor Oak's Hint
Suddenly, N.

Any of your own thoughts? Please reply below!

Edit: APPEASE THE CENSOR GODS!

Edited by theotherguytm

I am excited. Also, the decks here are really god, too bad I don't have enough PACKS OR TOKENS TO GET THEM.

Edited by Adkon
theotherguytm

And now, the Mindless Nonsense presents:

From Theme to Dream?

We all know what theme decks are about. Providing a new players a simple way to expand their collection and get hold of some staple cards, or, in some decks, adding the core of a popular deck to your collection.

But building a competitive deck from a Theme deck? Is is possible?

I say "to some extent, yes!" It all comes down to the deck in question and what cards you have to expand it. So I decided to make a general algorithm (set of instructions for solving a problem) that can be applied to most decks.

For argument's sake, I will give any examples using the Electric Eye theme deck from BREAKpoint.

1. Find out and mark your favourite Pokemon lines and Trainers.

These can be anything. The basic plan is to expand these lines. Note that you can select incomplete Pokemon lines with the intention of expanding and completing these lines, or just because you like the line up to that point. Eg: Honedge-Doublade, with the plan of adding Aegislash.

2. Find and remove filler.

"Filler" is anything that serves no purpose in the deck, and was just added in to bring the deck up to 60 cards, Eg: Skorupi. Filler may be kept if it is marked a Favourite line.

3. Trim out excess Energy.

Most theme decks run 18+ Energy cards. This is way too many. For your first deck, remove all but 10-12. If you can remove one Energy type from the deck altogether, do so. Eg: The pathetically sad Fire lines in the Primal Clash theme deck Ocean's Core. Running one type of Energy massively increases your deck's consistency. There are some cases, like Hypno or Zebstrika, where you remove the Energy type for a Pokemon, but keep the Pokemon for an Ability, or a particularly good Colourless attack.

4. More Trainers.

This is the key to massive improvement in your deck. More Trainers make it easier to pull the rest of your deck. You should be aiming in most cases to have at least 35 Trainers in your deck-the optimal amount being around 40. This obviously varies massively based on the deck you are playing.

​5. Now expand your favourite lines.

Done!

Although EXs are powerful, they aren't a must-have in every deck. A good deck will win a lot of games by beating EXs with non-EXs. BREAKs are good, but only if they fit with what you already have, like Luxray in this example.

I'll be back with the potential star deck of XY-Evolutions:  Raticate BREAK/Ariados.

Aside: Funny thing happened while I was playing the TC. I was using Furious Knights (the best for strategy cores EVER) and I attacked with Fraxure's Dual Chop. I flipped 2 tails, and then my AI opponent ("Ella") failed to attack with Dugtrio, just ending its turn after drawing a card. I've seen this on many occasions, so this is normal, but what happened next was hilarious. I carried on for the next 5 or so turns, flipping 2 tails every time I used Dual Chop, and the AI not attacking in response. In the end I had to Switch, or it might have gone on forever! RNG Fail?

• 2 weeks later...
theotherguytm

Right on the two week mark. Sorry all, but the last few weeks have been HECTIC. Don't worry, I'm back.

##Pokémon - 24

* 2 Bunnelby PRC 121
* 4 Raticate BREAK BKP 89
* 2 Raticate EVO 67
* 2 Raticate BKP 88

* 4 (the rat) EVO 66
* 1 Swablu ROS 73
* 1 Altaria ROS 74
* 2 Spinarak AOR 5
* 2 Ariados AOR 6
* 2 Remoraid BKT 32
* 2 Octillery BKT 33

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 1 Brock's Grit EVO 74
* 2 Wally ROS 94
* 1 Lysandre AOR 78
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Chaos Tower *** 94
* 1 Brigette BKT 134
* 2 Level Ball AOR 76
* 1 Winona ROS 96
* 2 N *******
* 4 Ultra Ball *** 113
* 2 Enhanced Hammer ******
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 6

* 2 Fairy Energy XYEnergy 2

Total Cards - 60

Aside: I never realised Enhance Hammer was Standard. Should have checked...

Dumb as always. But I continue hell-bent upon my course. For those who have been in a cave for a while, the idea of the deck is to use Super Fang to reduce opponents to 10HP, finishing them off with Poisonous Nest. This is not a new idea. But what is new, is Raticate from Evolutions. Shadowy Fang does 60 damage for each Special Energy your opponent has discarded, giving you a quick-fire option, or an alternative attack VS Gardodor.

The key to making this work is to discard Special Energy while priming Super Fang. Discard and stall. Bunnelby is the card for this job. For 1 Energy he can strip vital support cards from your opponent (perhaps including some of those Special Energies) or shuffle your own cards back into your deck for re-use. Enhanced Hammer also does some big damage strategically, slowing your opponent down for the early game, or adding some extra damage before you attack later. Even the Rats themselves can get in on the action: Crunch, Dirty Shock, and Mischievous Fang Ability all discard Energy and Tools, making it much harder for your opponent to attack successfully. It's especially fun to remove 2 or 3 Spirit Links from a Mega deck.

Brock's Guts is the only other abnormal choice. I think it will grow to replace Super Rod in many decks, as it can be re-used via VS Seeker and it gives you 'two for the price of one' in terms of deck space. It does use your Supporter for the turn, but late-game you won't need as many draw Supporters anyway.

The main choice for this deck is BrPo Rati VS Evo Rati, given how hopeless the BrPo (the rat) is. Some will prefer to stick with the older card for the extra 10HP it provides before BREAKing, or the free retreat, or to avoid the inconvenience of having to use Chaos Tower. Others will argue those benefits are of limited value, and go with Shadowy Fang. For this build, I went with a 50-50 split.

The rest of the deck is self-explainatory, so I'll leave it there. Till next time!

Edit: The Censor Gods Hate The Rat! APPEASE!

Edited by theotherguytm
theotherguytm

Hello once more.

So... M Mewtwo is the deck to beat right now...

Try this one for size...

Epicness + Mewtwo = Mewtwo.

Pokemon 15

2 Mew ****
4 Mewtwo Evo
2 Zorua BrTh
2 Zoroark BrTh
1 Zoroark BREAK BrTh
2 Remoraid BrTh
2 Octillery BrTh

Energy 6

4 DOC
2 Basic Dark

Trainers 39

Puzzle of Time 4
Ultra Ball 4
VS Seeker 4
Captivating Lure Pokepuff 2
Buddy-Buddy Rescue 2
Special Charge 1
FFB 3
Float Stone 1
Sky Field 2
Silent Lab 2
Professor Sycamore 4
N 2
Lysandre 2
Teammates 1
Brock's Guts 1
Brigette 2

WARNING: This deck may not function at all against anything but M Mewtwo.

The idea is to hit M Mewtwo for Weakness with Mwetwo's Psychic attack, with does 20 damage plus 20 more for each Energy on your opponent's Active. The possibilities normally:

3 Energy: 80
4 Energy: 100
3 with FFB: 90
4 with FFB: 110

Now apply Weakness to that. Done.
With an FFB, Mewtwo has an EX-type 170 HP, so your opponent is going to have to attach 3 to KO him with Shatter Shot, allowing an FFB'ed Psychic return KO, and if he Mega Evolves Psychic Infinity does not apply Weakness, so he will need 4 Energy on M Mewtwo to KO you (if you are fully powered), and again, FFB allows for a return KO.

The sidelines are just as fun. While Mew does not have 130-170 HP, the ability to have an extra attcker ready is invaluable. The one problem is Garbodor, but a quick Lysandre followed by a Zoroark Mind Jack should do the job, if you are that desperate. And Mew has free retreat as well, expanding the options further.

Zoroark is of course the best way to continue being very annoying. Even without Stand In, it can do horrendous damage with the Sky Field-Lure-Mind Jack trick. Or just hunt Shaymins. Even funnier, Foul Play is hilarious when used correctly. Psychic Infinity reversals can be equivalent to shooting a Pidgy with Aura Sphere. And as for Silent Lab, well, it's nice to have options and disable Shay and Hoopa.

Other options: Psychic Energy for reversal Shatter Shots and Barrier stalls, Faded Town to add even more damage, Weakness Policy just to mean.

That's all for now. Please add your thoughts on this, or any other deck below. I do appreciate those replies and suggestions a lot!

Edited by theotherguytm
  • 4 weeks later...
theotherguytm

I'M BACK!!!

Yes, I have returned, and seen the European Championship results.

HAHAHAHAHA!

I bet you wish "op" NM was back, don't you! Another proof that NM is NOT OP!

Before NM: Copy-Paste VirGen

After NM: Copy-Paste Y-Garb

During NM: A incredibly diverse meta, where outside shots won Worlds Masters 2/2.

And so, I add up the damage...

Y-Garb (Winner, ALL THREE DIVISIONS, Runner-up, Masters and Juniors)-14

Greninja BREAK (Runner-up, Seniors)-2

Volcanion-3

Rainbow Road-3

Mega Gard Despair-1

Y-Zoroark-1

This is simply to funny to be real. The Masters 1st and 2nd had 58/60 identical cards. The Seniors semi-finalist and winners had the same Pokemon selection. And the only decks to make Top 8 in either Seniors or Masters were Y-Garb, Volcanion and 'ninja. It's early days yet, but it's a long way to Feb 2nd... and even then Sun/Moon won't be legal for another 3 weeks.

On a more serious note, I am surprised that Greninja and Volcanion were able to survive, and thrive in the former case, in a meta loaded with Garb and Silent Lab. In 'ninja's case, it was down the smart use of Max Potion and Bursting Balloon, while Volc' seems to be built for all-out speed and maximum T1 damage, before Garb can wreak havoc.

That's al I have time for now, and I will try and post more regularly over the coming days. Please add your opinions below.

SuperStone

Well, it's about time for a powerful rogue deck anyway. :) With that little diversity, surely one can find its way to victory.  All we need is the right combination of lock and supereffectivity... (*cough ninja-eeveeEXs cough*)

theotherguytm

Well, it's about time for a powerful rogue deck anyway. :) With that little diversity, surely one can find its way to victory.  All we need is the right combination of lock and supereffectivity... (*cough ninja-eeveeEXs cough*)

*cough Jolteon EX cough*

And perhaps with the proper tweaking I can get Stage 1 Tools or Aero Force ripping into Y-Garb as well...

Seriously, when all you have to do to turn the runner-up deck of a major event like this into the winner is to swap:

Olympia for N,

Trainers Mail x3 for Joy, Escape Rope and Super Rod,

you have a problem with the meta. Now quit complaining about NM!

One noticeable absence is the lack of Oblivion Wing Yveltal (OWY), once at the core of the deck. I only saw 3 OWY in the whole of the 14 decks. 2 players only went with 4 Yveltal EX as their only front-line Pokemon. When a deck can get away with doing that, either it took everyone by surprise, or it is simply too powerful.

And not a single M-Mewtwo in sight. The effect of Evil Ball is very similar to Psychic Infinity, so it was only natural that Y-Garb was a strong counter.

Y-Garb players showed that is more than possible to make Max Elixir work with only 9 Basic Energies, and 2 of the Rainbow Road players made it work with just 8! One thing that did mystify me was the inclusion of Jolteon EX in the second RR deck, with no Energy for it. Could it have been a physiological ploy?

SuperStone

One thing that did mystify me was the inclusion of Jolteon EX in the second RR deck, with no Energy for it. Could it have been a physiological ploy?

That could be.  I would love it if it was.  But it's probably for the free retreat.

• 2 weeks later...
theotherguytm

That could be.  I would love it if it was.  But it's probably for the free retreat.

Well, there are lots of Pokémon with free retreat. So why that one in particular...

Aside: it looks like my plan to post more regularly fell apart. Ah well.

So... Stage 2 GXs. Expanded is going to look very interesting. Basic, lightning-fast EX decks, mid-speed mighty Megas, and slow, lumbering GX monsters. I see the Sun legendary being very powerful with Bronzong. But here's the surprise. Rare Candy (discounting any errata's) will work for those GXs, and so will Wally (after all, the prevolutions are not EX or GX, and Wally is useless for EXs, not GXs). So, I think the Megas will be the weakest of these three deck types. After all, they have Faded Town to hurt them, they have to rely on Spirit Links, and they have few support cards to aid them. EXs have Max Elixir and FFB, GXs have Wally and Candy, and all Megas have is Mega Turbo.

And let's not discount non-EX decks either. Tren and Vileplume will be no less of a cancer pair, and NM will still make even the richest money-thrower tremble. The 2-for-1 Prize theory is unbroken, and a well-placed Lysandre or two can destroy even the mightiest GX deck.

Oh, and then there's the staple Pokémon. Hoopa, Shaymin and sometimes Dragonite. The key point is, Shaymin still works well for GX decks, but because of their speed, they might prefer Octillery (especially if there is a Water GX), but Hoopa and Dragonite don't work for GXs. Hoopa can't pull them from the deck, and Dragonite can only get the Basics back. This limits the GXs a lot, and I think it will take 3 or 4 expansions for GXs to properly catch up with Megas and EXs, just like the XY-era cards took 3 or 4 expansions to put VirGen and the other old decks to bed.

So, having come to this conclusion, unless there is a rapid change in the meta (eg: Tool discard effects return), Y-Garb looks all set to win 2017 Worlds. Or at least Garb will.

Edited by theotherguytm
weather-trio

Well, there are lots of Pokémon with free retreat. So why that one in particular...

Jolteon is the only basic EX with free retreat. RR needs 2-4 EXs of random types that are picked for no reason other than that they have attributes helpful in certain niches and carry the EX label, so it's usually a toss up between Flygon, Genesect, Jolteon, and Umbreon.

theotherguytm

Jolteon is the only basic EX with free retreat.

In Standard, true. Fair point.

So, I may as well add the latest version of my beloved Aero Force.

##Pokémon - 16

* 4 Aerodactyl *** 76

* 4 Talonflame STS 96

* 1 Mewtwo EVO 51

* 2 Omastar BREAK *** 19

* 3 Omanyte *** 17

* 2 Omastar *** 18

##Trainer Cards - 37

* 3 Bursting Balloon BKP 97

* 3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92

* 1 Eco Arm AOR 71

* 1 Brock's Grit EVO 74

* 3 Helix Fossil Omanyte *** 102

* 1 Team Flare Grunt XY 129

* 4 Old Amber Aerodactyl *** 106

* 2 Skyla BKT 148

* 2 Team Magma's Secret Base DCR 32

* 3 Fossil Excavation Kit *******

4 N

* 2 Dive Ball PRC 125

* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 7

* 3 Psychic Energy EVO 95

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

The Mewtwo is in there to stall/counter M-Mewtwo. The other card I was considering is Volcanion with Fire Energy instead of Psychic (help charge the bench) and I decided against Talonflame BREAK, though if I go to Volcanion I might change my mind. The reason there is no Ultras is because there is nothing to search for. No Sycamores because my deck likes the Pokémon being shuffled back into the deck (that's how Octillery and Fossils find them). And Bursting Balloon is how Aero gets 1HKOs. *face palms for not thinking of it sooner*

I'm pretty much ready to trade for the missing pieces, I just want some final feedback before I waste my packs on something that won't help me. And given my luck of late, combined my computer's inability to stop freezing up, I am not going to be winning any tournaments (sorry, events ​*sarcasm*) any time soon.

Edit: APPEASE THE CENSOR GODS WHO HATE N!

Edited by theotherguytm
SuperStone

Are you sure you want to evolve the omystar?  It seems to me like it would bog you down too much, but whatever floats your boat. :) -------- I see you have a flare grunt.  My lucario is going over right now to beat him up, so he won't torment you any longer. :ph34r: -------- I honestly can't think of anything else this deck needs or even wants, so good luck! :)

theotherguytm

Are you sure you want to evolve the omystar?  It seems to me like it would bog you down too much, but whatever floats your boat. :) -------- I see you have a flare grunt.  My lucario is going over right now to beat him up, so he won't torment you any longer. :ph34r: -------- I honestly can't think of anything else this deck needs or even wants, so good luck! :)

Archie's is way too inconsistent in Standard, and would need Ultras. The plan is to get my first few Aeros out with Fossils, and use Omastar to add consistency late-game.

The Flare Grunt helps Jet Draft's secondary effect. Fun!

The main problem is: Volc or Mewtwo, and Talonflame BREAK or not.

SuperStone

Archie's is way too inconsistent in Standard, and would need Ultras. The plan is to get my first few Aeros out with Fossils, and use Omastar to add consistency late-game.

The Flare Grunt helps Jet Draft's secondary effect. Fun!

The main problem is: Volc or Mewtwo, and Talonflame BREAK or not.

You mean... You're in league with him?!!? :o With Lysandre?!? (Hello, national police? May I speak to Looker, please?)

theotherguytm

You mean... You're in league with him?!!? :o With Lysandre?!? (Hello, national police? May I speak to Looker, please?)

*Silence from the other end of the phone*

MUHHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHA!

Sorry, a bit over the top there.

But just when we thought we knew the meta...

The Dallas championships shake it up all over again.

The usual breakdown:

M Gard Despair-4 (Masters Champion)

M Mewtwo-3 (Masters runner-up)

DarkTinaMance-1

Greninja BREAK-2

TurboDark-1 (Seniors Champion)

M Gard Despair/Tina-1 (Seniors runner-up)

Vilebox-1

IcelockGarb-2

YGarb-6 (Junior Champion)

Rainbow Road-1 (Junior runner-up)

Volc-1

YZoroark-1

So, despite it being still the most popular deck, it seems that players were a little more prepared this time around for Y-Garb. And 4 of those 6 were Juniors decks, with 0 Top 8 Masters entries. M Gard, with hindsight, was probably the most affluent counter to Yveltal in the the format, needing little Energy to attack, and with Resistance. It is a touch ironic that all the best Pokemon in the format have 210/220 HP, either due to FFB, or being a Mega.

Oh, and MEWTWO THE BROKEN HAS RETURNED! HAIL HIS EPICNESS! Out of the three decks, only 1 (Igor Costa's) stuck with the traditional Shrine/Damage Change combo. Both the Seniors decks went with Photon Wave Mewtwo, allowing them to use different Energy types. One player went with Icelock (my new term for Glaceon/Regice), the other with Jolteon. And 2 others ditched Mewtwo(He is not amused) entirely and just used Icelock. And one deck that seems to remain under the radar, despite a couple of strong performances, is Vilebox. A deck based off Vileplume, Rainbow Energy and a full Ninja Boy's delight of techs. Keep an eye on it, as it has the potential to cause a big upset.

The decks that flopped: Rainbow Road, Volc, and 'Ninja BREAK. Greninja in particular looked set to overcome the odds and show Abilities could shine in Garb World. But no, it was average. Rainbow Road is the still the strongest BIg Basic non-EX deck, but it appears to have slackened. And Volc made Top 4 thanks to a new formula based off Sky Field and teching in Combat Blaze Entei to help with it. Other than that, it looks tame.

Agree? Disagree? Reply below, and I will return, attempting to build a Legacy deck to challenge (or at least annoy) the duopoly of VirGen and Weavile/Eggs that almost matches the Old Firm's hold on the Scottish Premiership.

theotherguytm

Hello once more.

DISCLAIMER:

This is my first ever Legacy deck, so please tell me if I missed something important.

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Pidgeot TM 29

* 1 Porygon-Z TM 7

* 1 Staraptor ******

* 1 Exploud PLS 107

* 1 Salamence DRV 8

* 3 Lileep PLB 3

* 3 Cradily PLB 4

* 1 Vileplume UD 24

* 2 Magnezone PLS 46

* 1 Magnezone TM 96

* 3 Mew-EX DRX 46

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 3 Twist Mountain DEX 101

* 1 Computer Search BCR 137

* 1 Ghetsis PLF 101

* 1 Hooligans Jim & Cas DEX 95

* 2 Crushing Hammer EPO 92

* 3 Professor Oak's New Theory HS 101

* 2 N PR-BLW BW100

* 3 Root Fossil Lileep PLB 87

* 4 Junk Arm TM 87

* 1 Tool Scrapper DRX 116

* 1 Skyla BKT 148

* 1 Judge BKT 143

* 2 Lost Remover CL 80

* 1 Twins TM 89

* 2 Hugh BCR 130

* 4 Ultra Ball DEX 102

##Energy - 10

* 6 Grass Energy Energy 1

Total Cards - 60

If I'm honest, this a shortlist of Stage 2s to include, as opposed to the final deck. Each Stage 2 in the deck has its own use, and they can then be picked and chose from, depending on the opponent. Here they all are:

Pigeot-Headwind increases opponent's attack cost.

Porygon-Z-Dimension Transfer Pokepower returns a Item to top deck on a coin flip Heads.

Staraptor-Strong Breeze for 4 Energy shuffles opponent's Active into deck.

Exploud-Destructive Sound discards all items in opponent's hand.

Salamence-Ability-forces opponent to discard down to 4 cards in hand.

Vileplume-pokepower-Same as the modern version.

Magnezone-Dual Brains or Magnetic Draw(Shaymin every turn).

Sorry it's so brief, but I have to go. I'll be back shortly. Please, as normal, leave feedback, thoughts, and anything else below.

• Upvote 1