chaser595

Bench Barrier

chaser595

was in a match using my sylveon fairy deck with Mr. mime and its ability bench barrier and its ability was not working my opponent was using trevenent break and was using silent fear attack where it puts 3 damage counters on each of my pokemon; however even when my mr. mime was on the bench (no hex maniac was used) the trevenant was able to put damage counters on my benched pokemon. bench barrier was working against tree slam attack.

• Mr. Mime -

- Pokemon Generations 

- #97/162

seminc

That would be because Silent Fear, unlike Tree Slam, places damage counters rather than dealing damage. Damage counters are considered an "attack effect", and as Bench Barrier doesnt prevent effects of attacks, Silent Fear is allowed through.

Linnell

Seminc is correct on this.  Placing damage counters are different from dealing damage that results in the counters.  Because of this distinction between placing and being dealt damage......effects of attacks like Silent Fear from Trevenant Break also by pass the effects of Aegislash-EX's Mighty Shield ability that protects Aegislash-EX from damage of Pokemon with Special Energy.  Since the Silent Fear isn't actual damage but damage placement, Trevenant Break can have a Special Energy attached to it and still place damage counters on Aegislash-EX.

It also gets around Glaceon-EX's Crystal Ray effect of preventing damage done to it by evolved Pokemon because again, placing damage counters is different that actually dealing damage. 

Hope that helps to understand that there is a difference between them. 

Mod_Equox

Hello!

As already mentioned, this is not a bug and is working as intended. As such, I'll go ahead and close this thread now, but I encourage you to create a new thread or submit a ticket via the link in my signature if you come across any other issues.