Darkrai/Dusknoir? - Deck Refinement

pokemasterTz

Hello PTCGO, I’m here with a bit of an unorthodox deck. Darkrai EX has quickly become top tier in Legacy, and because of my love for decks with absurd techs, I’ve been testing various partners for it. Ever since I thought of this concept, I’ve been obsessed with it, and I’ve played around 90% of my Legacy matches with it. I was wondering if anyone could improve it. Here is the list and some analysis:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 13

3 Darkrai-EX DEX 63

3 Sableye DEX 62

1 Jirachi-EX PLB 60

2 Duskull BCR 61

1 Dusclops BCR 62

2 Dusknoir BCR 63

1 Keldeo-EX BCR 49

Trainer Cards - 37

1 Computer Search BCR 137

4 Professor Oak's New Theory CL 83

1 Bicycle PLS 117

2 Dark Claw DEX 92

1 N DEX 96

3 Hypnotoxic Laser PLS 123

2 Pokémon Catcher EPO 95

3 Ultra Ball FLF 99

2 Virbank City Gym PLS 126

4 Professor Juniper DEX **

******** Switch FFI 89

2 Rare Candy PLB 85

4 Dark Patch DEX 93

1 Random Receiver DEX 99

4 Junk Arm TM 87

Energy - 10

10 Darkness Energy

Total Cards: - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

3 Darkrai-EX DEX 63

The main attacker of the deck. Thursday is this Dark Explorer’s 4th anniversary, and for 4 years this cards combination of a fantastic ability and versatile deck has made it always see play. I can’t think of a single year where this card did poorly at all. Night Spear and Dark Cloak are just so good together, and have been the bases for countless decks.

3 Sableye DEX 62

In the words of the great Kyle Sucevich, “Sableye is the best Pokemon in the deck, period. How many times have you cringed at the sight of this little guy? All it takes is one Energy for it to start wreaking havoc. Then it comes up, and your opponent announces the dreaded attack – Confuse Ray! All of a sudden, your Pokemon is hit with a 50% chance of Confusion. If Sableye has a Dark Claw, you’re getting slammed in the face for 30 damage. Talk about broken and imbalanced!” Junk Hunt is seriously amazing though, and benefits this deck so much. Sabeleye is one of my favorite cards of all time, and there is a good reason for that. Resource recycling for the win.

1 Jirachi-EX PLB 60

Need a supporter? Jirachi/Ultra Ball to Jirachi have got you covered. The only downside of this card besides the 90 HP is the dreaded Jirachi start, the thing I detest most in the world.

2-1-2 Dusknoir BCR 63, 2 Rare Candy PLB 85

The interesting cards in the deck. Dusknoir is quite possibly the most underrated card in the entire format. Some of its uses include:

- Sniping – Pile damage to big threats or something like a Jirachi.

- Setting up KO’s – Darkrai’s Night Spear does enough with the bench damage to KO an EX, an Dusknoir lets you move the 30 to the bench to the active if need be. You can also use Sinister Hand to set up the 30 damage bench KO.

- Safeguard Counter – Suicune troubling you? Sigilyph causing issues? No fear, just pile up a couple of damage counter and your good to go.

- Disruption – Sniping stuff like Squirtles with Shell Shield becomes possible, and you can KO things like Cyndaquil, Tynamo and the mentioned Squirtle to disrupt your opponent’s setup big time.

- Max Potion Denial – If you spread out damage, surprise Max Potions heal less damage. Simple as that.

1 Keldeo-EX BCR 49

Rush In + Dark Cloak = Domination. Allowing for mobility and a way to get rid of status conditions at the same time, Keldeo has a well-earned spot.

1 Computer Search BCR 137

Comp. Search is my go-to ACE SPEC. The only other option on par with Comp. Search is Dowsing Machine, but you already have Junk Arms and Sabeleye, so I like Comp. Search a bit better. I guess you could also run Life Dew, but I’m a consistency nut.

4 Professor Oak's New Theory CL 83, 1 N DEX 96, 4 Professor Juniper DEX 98, 1 Random Receiver DEX 99

Draw supporters/outs to them. Hooray for consistency cards! The draw engine feels really good, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

1 Bicycle PLS 117

Speaking of draw support, a single copy of Bicycle can make a huge difference. Combos very nicely with either Comp. Search, UB or Junk Arm.

2 Dark Claw DEX 92

90+ 30 + 30 (LaserBank) + 20 = 170. Doing 170 is good. Not doing 170 is bad. What else is there to say?

3 Hypnotoxic Laser PLS 123 2 Virbank City Gym PLS 126

What? A Darkrai deck with 3 Lasers? What is this garbage?!!!!!!! While I do want the 4th Laser, I feel like it’s not needed, especially with 4 Junk Arm and Sabeleye. Judge me if you want, but I feel fine running just 3, especially when space is so tight.

2 Pokémon Catcher EPO 95

Sets up KO’s, and combos very well with Dusknoir as you drag out stuff with just the right amount of HP to create multi-KO with Night Spear and Sinister Hand.

3 Ultra Ball FLF 99

Ultra Ball = Jirachi = Supporter. Jirachi = Pokemon. Ultra Ball = Pokemon. Pokemon = Life. Ultra Ball = Life. Foolproof logic, right? I don’t run four though just because Darkrai typically does not need that much Pokemon, and Dusknoir is sort of a tech, not a need. (Though it is best to set one up most games).

3 Energy Switch FFI 89

Let’s you have some energy mobility, and allows for things to have free retreat with Dark Cloak, as well as letting you move energy from Sabeleye to Darkrai. Shaymin can also be used, but Energy Switch can be recycled be Junk Hunt/Junk Arms and re-used, and doesn’t take up Bench Space.

4 Dark Patch DEX 93

If only there was a card that gave energy acceleration. It would be nice if this card was an item too, and could be used in conjunction with UB, Junk Arm and Ultra Ball.

4 Junk Arm TM 87

The most broken card in Legacy right now. 3 Sabeleye and 4 Junk Arm might seem like overkill, but I’ve found that I can’t live with less.

10 Darkness Energy or 9 Darkness Energy + Tool Scrapper

Energy! I’ve seen anywhere from 9-14 in Darkrai builds, but I feel like 10 is a solid number. You can also run Special Darkness, but I personally don’t like it due to it not being Dark Patch compatible.

So that’s my list, any thoughts? I would like to run a Tool Scrapper, but space is so tight I just can’t find room. Besides, Garbodor usually is not that big of a deal, as I am not entirely ability reliant, and if they are a bit slow setting up, I can get Dusknoir into play first and snipe it. Even if they do get a Garbodor into play, Dusknoir is again, more of a tech and not needed, so it’s not really a problem.

Edit: Why are "Energy" and "98" censored only in the deck list? Just ignore hte censor people, and carry on.

Edit 2: Since Tool Scrapper is good, I added the 9 Energy + Scrapper thing. Thanks for the feedback :)

if u had problems with sigilyph or suicune just use plasma absol + no tool scrapper means instant ability lock by garbodor which is necessary otherwise your dusknoir, keldeo and the free retreat ability of darkrai is useless. garbodor is not hard to set up since it is just a stage 1 poke and every deck runs enough tools to easily attach one turn 1 or 2.

i would probably cut the switch and one energy to include a tool scrapper and something else since you have junk arms and dark patches to recycle energy cards in your discard pile. its a cool deck and dusknoir might be a great addition to it but personally im more a fan of darkrai+sableye with hammers or darkrai+sableye+garbodor.

Perfect strategy ;)

i think the only weakness is garbotoxin if u play legacy

Last paragraph of my post explains the Garbodor match up. Garbotoxin does not kill this deck. I am not reliant on my abilities, they are just really useful. If this were something like Blastoise or RayEels, yes, Garbodor would be a problem without Tool Scrapper, but this list can hold it's own against Garbodor. Sinister Hand, is again, more of a tech, and is not completely needed to be effective. Dark Cloak is useful, yes, but the retreat cost of Sabeleye is manageable. Rush In is also nice similarly, but again not needed. I've played against several Darkrai/Garbodor lists, and I have fared fairly well, as again, this deck does not need abilities to survive. Thanks for the positive feedback though :)

if u had problems with sigilyph or suicune just use plasma absol + no tool scrapper means instant ability lock by garbodor which is necessary otherwise your dusknoir, keldeo and the free retreat ability of darkrai is useless. garbodor is not hard to set up since it is just a stage 1 poke and every deck runs enough tools to easily attach one turn 1 or 2.

i would probably cut the switch and one energy to include a tool scrapper and something else since you have junk arms and dark patches to recycle energy cards in your discard pile. its a cool deck and dusknoir might be a great addition to it but personally im more a fan of darkrai+sableye with hammers or darkrai+sableye+garbodor.

I don't run Dusknoir just to counter Safeguard, I mainly run it for the other reasons above. I was just pointing out that it does counter Safeguard, not that it is the best counter to safeguard. for Garbodor, see above. I have been actually testing with 9 energy and a Tool Scrapper for a while though, and it seems very promising. I am okay with cutting a single energy (I still like the 10th dark though), but would never cut the Energy Switch. The mobility and Dark Cloak nonsense it allows for is just to good to pass up on. And while more traditional versions of Darkrai might be better, I enjoy the surprise factor Dusknoir gives and the sheer fun :) as I mentioned, I do like nonsense techs, which is why I love this list. Also, disruption has never really been my play style, though I did play a heavy amount of Toad/Bats. I generally prefer decks with an overload of consistency cards that focus more on traditional set-yourself-up to win strategies. I also played both Hammertime and Darkrai/Garbodor back in the day and play tested them a bit, and never really like them too much. Thanks for your time :)

Archived