Shaymin-EX

Tesagk

I posted a trade earlier today for 6 FC, 2 Breakthrough, and 1 Ancient Origins for a Shaymin-EX (Roaring Skies).

It just expired, and at no surprise to me. I did it on a whim just to see what would happen. I've seen trade offers in excess of 30 or 40 packs (I've even seen 50). 

I've been buying Roaring Skies packs with my tokens for so long that I have 2-3 of almost every ultra rare in that set, but no Shaymin.

I don't begrudge people for wanting fair value. However, a quick glance online tells me that the physical card goes for $50 a pop. Yet, dropping almost $150 on a box of Fates Collide (first ever Pokémon box). 36 packs. Means that what people want for an online Shaymin is 3x as much as the real, physical thing.

Most people are trading or seeking the secret rare, which is understandably much more valuable. Nevertheless, a problem presents itself, one which I am sure has been brought up before.

--

I am no expert at deck building. But I've been getting great tips. Still, a recurring theme seems to pop itself into the good advice: you need Shaymin-EX.

Is it not problematic to have a card which works so well with so much that it basically feels like a core card to have for top tier decks, but is so hard to get?

I'm sure it makes lots of money for Pokémon, which gives little incentive to change it. However, it's frustrating for me, as a new player, to feel like there's this exclusive crowd that I can only be a part of if I trade away my soul (figuratively) for it. I know that having the Shaymin won't make me a better player, but it will make a lot of my decks much better.

It's too much for one card. It artificially raises that card's value to levels that could be considered gouging. Tell me I'm not the only one who feels this isn't right?

The actual market and in game market are two different things which is why there is a price difference. Also, word has been going around that Shaymin is getting a promo reprint which will be more affordable. 

I don't begrudge people for wanting fair value. However, a quick glance online tells me that the physical card goes for $50 a pop. Yet, dropping almost $150 on a box of Fates Collide (first ever Pokémon box). 36 packs. Means that what people want for an online Shaymin is 3x as much as the real, physical thing.

You can't compare the price of physical booster packs (especially an inflated one -- a booster box costs more like $90) to online ones. You can get 36 Fates Collide or Roaring Skies codes for around $12.

The actual market and in game market are two different things which is why there is a price difference. Also, word has been going around that Shaymin is getting a promo reprint which will be more affordable.

Yup, just rumor though. Also, it is important to understand that the Pokemon company isn't driving up the price or anything like that. In theory, there is the same amount of Shaymin EX on the market as something like, say Thudurus EX. However, because there is so much demand for it, it has a high price. The Pokemon company isn't trying to make this card expensive for greed, the reason for it being so expensive is because of us, the consumers. The Pokemon company has made enough supply, but there is too much demand to keep up with. The pull rates for all the RS EX's are all the same, and that is how it should be. While yes, Shaymin EX should be more affordable, it's not really the Pokemon company's fault. Believe me, if they wanted to make money, they would produce just enough Shaymins to keep demand high, and sell them as singles.

You can't compare the price of physical booster packs (especially an inflated one -- a booster box costs more like $90) to online ones. You can get 36 Fates Collide or Roaring Skies codes for around $12.

I agree, the two markets are entirely different. 

Again. I am not blaming the company behind Pokémon of some secret conspiracy. It just seems weird to me that there are no restrictions or rulings to limit this one card's effectiveness. Are they scared that so many people would be ******? I suppose that's a legitimate concern. But more people than me have to be weary of seeing that card in so many decks.

I also threw a disclaimer about real market prices not being equivocal. I mean, you're free to disagree, but try to argue something that I didn't already point out and hand on a silver platter to you.

i felt the same way about shaymin ex when i began playing back in september. i had very few cards and i knew the one card that would take my decks up to the next level was shaymin ex. i never traded for one though i don't think its worth it. just be patient and one day one will come to you when you are opening some roaring skies packs or some other way. for me sounds crazy but i actually pulled my only two shaymin ra out of 2 uncommon chests. i'm sitting high up on the throne with 269 ex cards and 40% of all cards i rarely do trades this collection comes from grinding and the fact that there were sets i wanted i would go into buying packs codes from older sets like plasma freeze for example nver bought flashfire-breakpoint. breakthrough is when i decided to invest in the newer sets and i have 100 code cards from fates collide waiting for me tomorrow and i will be doing a giveaway so keep your eyes peeled.

I posted a trade earlier today for 6 FC, 2 Breakthrough, and 1 Ancient Origins for a Shaymin-EX (Roaring Skies).

It just expired, and at no surprise to me. I did it on a whim just to see what would happen. I've seen trade offers in excess of 30 or 40 packs (I've even seen 50). 

I've been buying Roaring Skies packs with my tokens for so long that I have 2-3 of almost every ultra rare in that set, but no Shaymin.

Most people are trading or seeking the secret rare, which is understandably much more valuable. Nevertheless, a problem presents itself, one which I am sure has been brought up before.

--

I am no expert at deck building. But I've been getting great tips. Still, a recurring theme seems to pop itself into the good advice: you need Shaymin-EX.

Is it not problematic to have a card which works so well with so much that it basically feels like a core card to have for top tier decks, but is so hard to get?

I'm sure it makes lots of money for Pokémon, which gives little incentive to change it. However, it's frustrating for me, as a new player, to feel like there's this exclusive crowd that I can only be a part of if I trade away my soul (figuratively) for it. I know that having the Shaymin won't make me a better player, but it will make a lot of my decks much better.

It's too much for one card. It artificially raises that card's value to levels that could be considered gouging. Tell me I'm not the only one who feels this isn't right?

first of all, no form of shaymin ex is 36 packs. trading companies sell it for 25-26 packs for the fa, 20 for the regular. so you don't even have accurate prices for your argument.

second, most people buy code cards instead of packs at 33 cents per code for something like roaring skies, so even the most expensive form of shaymin ex would run you like 8 dollars, certainly not $150. you paid $150 for the physical cards as well as the codes.

third, it's not anyone else's fault that you did not do your research and spent $150 in pursuit of a card that could be gotten for $8. maybe ask some regulars for information about how to get items easier in the online game vs making a complaining thread about a non-existent problem.

Again. I am not blaming the company behind Pokémon of some secret conspiracy. It just seems weird to me that there are no restrictions or rulings to limit this one card's effectiveness. Are they scared that so many people would be ******? I suppose that's a legitimate concern. But more people than me have to be weary of seeing that card in so many decks.

I also threw a disclaimer about real market prices not being equivocal. I mean, you're free to disagree, but try to argue something that I didn't already point out and hand on a silver platter to you.

cards get printed all the time. some are more competitive than others. if a competitive card they print happens to be an EX that has a low pull rate, it will have a high rarity and be expensive. this is how the game as worked for years, and you think they should make a special exception because you have a problem with it? the fact that you thought it's price was over 36 packs shows you did barely any research on anything before coming here to make this thread.

Tesagk, on 10 May 2016 - 02:41 AM, said:

Well, in real life, you don't get free boosters for "logging in" or ********** wheel.

So yeah, higher prices justified.

But I agree with you saying Exodia-ex beeing overpriced.

[ Some content removed. Let's keep the discussion on topic and be excellent to each other.. - Mod Madrona ] 

Now that we can move past that, let's actually address the parts of your post that weren't personal:

first of all, no form of shaymin ex is 36 packs. trading companies sell it for 25-26 packs for the fa, 20 for the regular.

second, most people buy code cards instead of packs at 33 cents per code for something like roaring skies, so even the most expensive form of shaymin ex would run you like 8 dollars.

cards get printed all the time. some are more competitive than others. if a competitive card they print happens to be an EX that has a low pull rate, it will have a high rarity and be expensive. this is how the game as worked for years.

Thank you for the information. As mentioned earlier in my post, I don't exactly trust "trading card companies", because there's not really any way for them to be accountable outside of reporting them and hoping that the community believes your story when you try to raise awareness of an issue.

But, again, you've added valuable information to the argument. Public Trades are likely artificially inflated due to the fact that people who post on there are more willing to part with a lot more to try and get what they're looking for.

Code cards for sale is also something I'm vaguely aware of, but also skeptical. In fact, the first time someone brought them up to me they basically warned me to be careful of scams.

That's a little beyond the point though, given that the impetus of this discussion is in how difficult it is to acquire such an important card WITHOUT spending money. I could have easily spent far less than $150 and already had a Shaymin-EX.

Though I was wrong, when I look back, in mentioning that I had ***** disclaimer in my original post, I agree that comparing real-world prices to virtual ones is a bit "apples and oranges". My point centered more around the absurdity of the gaping difference between the two. But, your information does reveal a flaw in that specific argument, because there are ways to get online codes for "dirt cheap" prices.

--

tl;dr

Overall, if this thread has shown me anything, it's that what I perceive as a problem in how the game is not commonly shared, at least not in this specific community (basing an observation on an uncontrolled sample with a limited size would be faulty).

For the most part, I thank all of you for participating in this discussion and I welcome further discussion if people feel that their opinion should be shared.

That being said, please try to not make it personal. While I understand that not every person here is an adult, we still need to behave in a mature and rational way. Don't get defensive just because someone has the balls to air out an opinion. People can be wrong. I was wrong. Make the points without harassing the person for being wrong.

Thank you.

so you say something like this:

but try to argue something that I didn't already point out and hand on a silver platter to you. 

then saying stuff like:

That being said, please try to not make it personal. While I understand that not every person here is an adult, we still need to behave in a mature and rational way.

lol i think maybe you should...

Get off your high horse, mate.

anyway. your post confirms you did very little if any research. and if you say you did, then maybe try different research tactics cause whatever you're currently doing is likely not working well for you. companies have been in this game for years and they list their prices outright in their threads. if you thought shaymin was 36 packs, you clearly didn't even look at any company prices for this card as even if they were "rip offs" you could've ordered the card for 10 packs less than what you thought the prices were lol.

their company threads are literally dozens of pages of people ordering something and getting exactly what they wanted for the prices listed, so how are they "duping" people? given the forums are open to anyone and everyone to make comments, if a person got "duped" from a company there is a clear and easy way to call them out, i.e. making a thread lol. 

I could go on but i'll stop here. next time try to be a little less antagonistic towards people who are answering your questions lol.

I remember back when freeze was in the shop and I, being a complete scrib at trading, opened 200+ 5-card freeze hoping to pull it and I spent a good year doing this to no avail. But once I got into trading in august of last year, I had gotton a total of 5 SR UB + multiples of all the FA, SR, and EX's from freeze by January of this year and didn't pay a single cent. So I agree with semeai here when he says it is kinda dumb to open $150 worth of packs when you could could have bought roughly 18 FA shaymin with that, or with the right skills, you can get all those completely free.

[some content removed.  Let's stay on topic.  Thank you, - Mod Madrona. ] 

I remember back when freeze was in the shop and I, being a complete scrib at trading, opened 200+ 5-card freeze hoping to pull it and I spent a good year doing this to no avail. But once I got into trading in august of last year, I had gotton a total of 5 SR UB + multiples of all the FA, SR, and EX's from freeze by January of this year and didn't pay a single cent. So I agree with semeai here when he says it was kinda dumb to open $150 worth of packs when you could could have bought roughly 18 FA shaymin with that, or with the right skills, you can get all those completely free.

I must be missing something here. Where, in any of my posts, did I say that I bought $150 worth of packs to try and crack a Shaymin-EX.

I never once said or implied that I did that. I used the example of me purchasing 36 packs OF THE NEW SET as a comparative example of how ludicrous the Shaymin-EX value seemed. That I could buy 36 packs and have only one card to show for it seemed ridiculous.

But I ignored the fact that there are trading companies and people who sell just code cards, mostly because I'm new and suspicious of unsanctioned avenues. I admitted I was wrong and that my comparison was Apples to Oranges.

But I never once said or implied that I spent $150 trying to get one card. Please don't imply or put words into my post that were never said. It detracts from actual discussion points.

I must be missing something here. Where, in any of my posts, did I say that I bought $150 worth of packs to try and crack a Shaymin-EX.

I never once said or implied that I did that. I used the example of me purchasing 36 packs OF THE NEW SET as a comparative example of how ludicrous the Shaymin-EX value seemed. That I could buy 36 packs and have only one card to show for it seemed ridiculous.

But I ignored the fact that there are trading companies and people who sell just code cards, mostly because I'm new and suspicious of unsanctioned avenues. I admitted I was wrong and that my comparison was Apples to Oranges.

But I never once said or implied that I spent $150 trying to get one card. Please don't imply or put words into my post that were never said. It detracts from actual discussion points.

Child pls, I NEVER once quoted you OR mentioned you by name, I was just branching of one of semeai's posts where he mentioned $150. It was just a general statement, but I can see where you would take it as targeting you, but I was not, I was referring to anyone who buys ****** ton of packs to just try and pull a certain card. Also I see where my use of "was" as referring to someone who did open a lot of packs was wrong and I should have used "is", I will admit to that and I will edit my post.

And I believe we were talking about Shaymin-EX, and how you thought it was over priced, when in actuality it really isn't. It is a HIGHLY played card and due to supply and demand, it is logical to be more expensive. So my post actually was a part of the discussion points.

Hey folks,

Opinions may vary and that is more than OK but we do ask that when you disagree on a topic that you remain respectful.  If part of your post is not constructive or adding to the discussion or is unnecessarily negative toward someone else it doesn't serve anyone, least of all yourself. 

We appreciate all of you and your dedication and enthusiasm for the game. It's really unfortunate when discussions devolve because a disagreement is handled without grace.

And as always, we prefer not to have to bring up ye Olde Code of Conduct or have a more lengthy personal discussion on good behavior.  Remember to be good to each other!

Thank you!

first of all, no form of shaymin ex is 36 packs. trading companies sell it for 25-26 packs for the fa, 20 for the regular. so you don't even have accurate prices for your argument.

Let me fix that four you my frind...

Shaymin EX:

Regular: 15-18 RS packs,

Full Art: 20-22 RS packs

Create a public offer to get it...

The companys have profit on 2-4 packs on prices in that lvl.

Want to save packs? Create public offers on any cards but subtract 1-3 packs from the company price...

Post four 8 hours.

Let me fix that four you my frind...

Shaymin EX:

Regular: 15-18 RS packs,

Full Art: 20-22 RS packs

Create a public offer to get it...

The companys have profit on 2-4 packs on prices in that lvl.

Want to save packs? Create public offers on any cards but subtract 1-3 packs from the company price...

Post four 8 hours.

I gave him company prices because they are verifiable and he could order one at the price quoted and 100% get them. I know those prices you listed work, but they aren't verifiable since it's not listed anywhere.

Youll just have to trade for them. Ive been able to get one for 10 other ex's then sell it for 20 ex's than trade the 20 for a full art then trade the full art for two regulars.

Tips:

-Play tournaments and trade the booster packs.

-look only at trade offers that are just posted

-a good deal for that card will be snatched up before you can buy it so you will have to make an offer that exceeds the cards value.

Archived