Tried an Online Ranked match and.. wow! :S

chemikz

I was only using the basic yellow/lightning deck and my first match paired me up with someone holding 4 Reshirams I think I counted. Some Typhlosions too. Is this acquired through the online booster packs? Am I destined to play the basic yellow deck or nothing when playing online only? I have no way of buying real life cards for the codes.

Hey, Chemikz!

Yes, those cards are aquired through Booster Packs. You can also unlock some other basic decks by completing leagues in the Trainer Challenge. Hope this helps you get the most out of the TCGO Online!

Cheers,

Lorello

Döner Kebap Mod

"My cat can eat a whole watermelon!"

I would like to add a side note here though. Although I sounded quite annoyed at the ability of not being able to acquire cards suitable for online play I am -very- happy with the route the devs have taken in that real cards=virtual cards in the form of the deck/booster codes. A massive grudge people have against MtGonline is that you either buy virtual cards or real cards for the same price. This scares people away from the online tcg and I like the approach the pokemon tcg devs have taken to remedy this. It is even compelling me to play pokemon tcg in real life (if I could) so I could only imagine what this is doing for the real life pokemon tcg community by bringing new players to them looking for codes. I have checked the store/event tracker but there is nothing in the north east of england for pokemon tcg which is a shame so I will probably just be sticking around for the open beta until the real competition starts in live which people will be using their online cards to play with more so. I'll keep looking for a store that sells cards but I don't feel like buying any unless I can play them in organised play.

((Sort of off-topic))

Trust me I feel your pain. Every time I fight someone who has a deck full of like 4 Zekroms, 4 Reshirams, 4 of this legendary, 4 of that legendary I cringe. Takes all the fun out of the game.

Trust me I feel your pain. Every time I fight someone who has a deck full of like 4 Zekroms, 4 Reshirams, 4 of this legendary, 4 of that legendary I cringe. Takes all the fun out of the game.

Oh it gets bad i once used a deck i believe i was using a espeon gengar deck and they used three zekroms well i manged somehow to beat all three of those zekroms and the next move they made was using two revives and bringing 2 zekroms back needless too say they won

yeah its pretty dumb, it seems like most people i play online use reshiram and zekrom, it gets kinda boring... i might just have to start just immediately conceding if i see that cuz just fighting the same things over and over is pretty lame

Tell me about it... I just lost to someone using several Jirachi and Shaymin... Stacking up energies on Gothitelle. I'm going on haitus until they bring out more options to get boosters. It's ridiculous seeing the amount of legendaries people cram in their decks. It's supposed to be a fun game for god's sake; it's not fun anymore if you can beat everyone you play against.

Tell me about it... I just lost to someone using several Jirachi and Shaymin... Stacking up energies on Gothitelle. I'm going on haitus until they bring out more options to get boosters. It's ridiculous seeing the amount of legendaries people cram in their decks. It's supposed to be a fun game for god's sake; it's not fun anymore if you can beat everyone you play against.

Right, and if becomes that unfun it translates into a lot of wasted money.

I don’t usually watch these forums but.

<p class="MsoNormal">Honestly, these cards are not supposed to be easy to get. This is the crux of a TCG. The online TCG cannot be offering all access to a full collection without charging for it. It is a business and thanks to the kindness of this business (who could easily charge much more than they do) players of the real life TCG only have to spend money on cards and gas when going to an event; MUCH fewer overall costs to play Pokemon competitively (to semi-competitively) than any other game such as Magic or YGO. Pokemon is by far the least expensive and kindest to its players.

<p class="MsoNormal">But being a business they have to at least make money. By printing cards that have a fundamental edge over others, players are encouraged to buy more to get these chase cards (anyone seen the trading section lately?). Players are encouraged to spend their money to play the game at a higher level.

<p class="MsoNormal">When one player plays a deck which is fundamentally (stat wise, damage output/energy ratio wise) better than another, other players have to adapt to keep up with the shift in power. This requires the players who wish to be highly competitive to play the best cards or develop a strategy to beat the best cards. Creativity isn’t discouraged by this; it is almost encouraged by the evolution of the metagame.

<p class="MsoNormal">Also, why would a player who is playing competitively play cards that would make him “uncompetive”? I understand the frustration when you, as a player who is not focused on winning every game, play against a player who uses an archetypical deck such as Reshiram. But understand the plight of the hard-core player who would often go to events in real life, to win real prizes. For these type people, winning IS half the fun. It is another, less common, but legitimate and ok way to play. It is not fair to us highly competitive players to say we are ruining the fun by playing the game to win (to a point of course, not cheating or bribing obviously). But this said, Pokemon should have a matchmaking system in place to be fair to both parties (and at least one based on W/L records).

<p class="MsoNormal">~Dylan

Well said Dylan. I posted in another chain a week or so ago, complaining about how many Resh and other "superdecks" I go up against in the ranked matches. I've come to realize now it happens maybe once every 5 times, and yesterday I did beat someone with multiple resh, emboar, etc because I had Samurott in play. I agree, the solution would be for the matchmaker to recognize the differences in decks or just have a separate area. All in all I really enjoy the site so I'll do less complaining and just accept some matches will be unbalanced and move forward. This is my long way of saying Dylan said it well in an even longer post.

It has gotten a bit better recently but earlier on literally I couldn't even count the amount of times I saw the same annoying strategy "Oh look my deck has all legendaries and guess what, I have 4 Pokemon Collectors, have fun with that".

What annoys me is the simple lack of diversity. Not really anything you could do to stop it though sadly.

Edit: Also if I remember correctly Zeckrom/Reshiram aren't even hard to get. They're like a basic rarity which is half the annoyance. Not common but certainly not all that rare.

<p style="vertical-align:bottom"><span style="font-size:11.5pt;font-family:

"Trebuchet MS","sans-serif";color:black;background:#C8DEE4">Collector is too good not to be played. Try not to get hung up on trainer dominance. If you played back in the Delta era you know what I mean when I say "dominance"<span class="apple-converted-space"> teeth_smile.png<span class="apple-converted-space"> (crazy holon engine)<o:p></o:p>

<p style="vertical-align:bottom;outline-style: none;outline-width: initial;

outline-color: initial;font-style:inherit;border-width:initial !important;

border-color:initial !important;float:none"><span style="font-size:11.5pt;

font-family:"Trebuchet MS","sans-serif";color:black;background:#C8DEE4">Anyway I do hate it when something takes over the game though. Like when one deck dominates ALL others to a point where only a very specialized deck or ITS SELF can beat it. That kind of Gardivoir dominance is disgusting.<o:p></o:p>

In my personal opinion, I think decks should be limited to the amount of legendaries that they have in it.

For example, say I had four Reshirams and four Zekroms and I wanted to put them in my deck.

I instead of putting them all in and making my deck unfair and harder to beat, I would only be able add one of a legendary (One Reshiram and one Zekrom) and only be able to add 2 or 3 legendaries overall.

This way, both people in a battle will still be able to have fun, and won't be overpowered by the amount of legendaries the opponent has.

I don't like the idea of a limit on legendaries unless it becomes so ridiculous that the only decks that can win are ones stacked with legendaries, even if you're paying for cards. I think a limit or ban would only be ok if it applied to practice battles, and they renamed practice battles to casual battles or beginner battles. or just added another mode like that that banned legendaries completely or at least limited them. ranked battles should follow the rules of the real tcg as closely as possible.

What would be even better is if practice battles had options that the player set-up ahead of time, like a couple options that players could toggle on or off and then they get matched up with appropriate players Legendaries on or off would be one of the options. perhaps an option where you get matched to players whose card count is within a certain amount of card count. If you had 240 cards and only wanted to play players within 200 cards of that, the most the player you'd get matched up with could have is 440 cards.

^ lol thats the idea I had before, set up some rules/options before a match then maybe others join or it finds other people with those options.

Because I would like to see a turn timer (once the lags fixed), an ability to turn off Legendaries because honestly they ruin the fun for me and I would choose to fight with none and fight no one with it all the time. Among maybe other rules though I can't think of any others.

The fact that Reshiram and Zekrom are legends means nothing. Both are amazing, while Palkia and Dialga are awful. There has never been a good Regi or Kyogre. Yanmega prime and Magnezone are just as dominent as the legends or they will be when people start getting cards to make those decks. Neither is a legendary.

Also, by limiting certain cards, you are not just taking those cards away. You are also adding any deck that has been bad for a long time because It couldn't beat those type of cards. If you took away Zekrom or Reshiram, you would see a massive influx of cards that are great, yet could previously never stand up to Zek and Resh. Now that they don't have to worry about facing Zek and Reshi those cards would become dominent. Those would be the next cards people would look to ban. And the cycle continues.

I gotta ask, have you SEEN those cards? I wouldn't say to outright ban them, but... look at 'em! And those people have 8 of them in their deck along with several carefully chosen cards that maximizes the potential to draw them within a few turns and even fill out the bench with them. You should know however that banning them wouldn't necessarily lead towards a downward spiral of banning cards left and right, look at Magic the Gathering for example (a very complex example), that game has had a vast number of legitimately broken combos that were abused ad-nauseum and resulted in an entire metagame to focus on fighting that one combo.

This is however the norm for most card games, and it sucks, and sometimes a ban is a necessary evil in order to have people stay interested in the game and for a company to continue selling cards. However, I wouldn't say that they should be banned outright, but there should definitely be a new ruling on them. Having a set limit would be very nice, only one of them per deck? Does that seem unreasonable? I'll say no, it's not. You can still have a reasonable powerhouse unique to your deck, but also you can have a nice balanced deck that isn't designed to get nothing but a cheap effortless win.

I'm surprised there isn't a ban on legendaries option in the tcg. It's that way in the video games, for good reason. Unfortunately they didn't place the same ban on the GTs, and that's full of people cloning their precious pokemon who want zekrom's for their magikarp's.

One thing they could actually do for us though, is give us free/cheap players the ability to actually compete with the decks instead of getting destroyed. We need more free theme decks that we can unlock. We need at least one for every type, that way if people are running mostly zekrom/reshiram based decks, people can construct a fighting/water deck to counteract it. Right now we have no way of obtaining fighting pokemon specifically to target Zekrom's weakness. The only option is through trade, but us new players would have to do sacrifice the limited number of cards we do have just to balance the imbalance that we're faced with. It's a definite problem that needs to be corrected. More free theme decks is part of the solution.

The other part of the solution is to allow us to buy single cards. We should be able to use money or tokens to buy singles. That way free players can obtain the cards we need to form some decent decks. Some will whine that people will get the rare cards for free using tokens, but the solution there is to price those cards ridiculously high in tokens. You can make Yanmega prime 1 million tokens for all I care, that's not why I want the ability to use tokens to buy singles. I want to be able to buy extra squirtle's and Wartortle's for my my water deck. I want to be able to buy phanpy's so that I can actually use the Donphan that I unlocked., or machop's so I can use Machoke. I want whatever pokemon trainer and item cards people are using to stack their decks with all the pokemon they need. junk arm, pokemon communication, twins, professor juniper, pokemon collector etc.. I want to be able to buy the exact common and uncommon cards that I need instead of relying on booster packs or trades.

Give free players a fighting chance(pun not intended) against Zekrom and other overpowered cards, or the game's playerbase and quality of battles will suffer for it. You really think people are going to want to do 2 vs 2 battles if they have to get stuck with free players who are totally gimped with access to only 240 cards and 4 types of pokemon?

A Match Making system would solve a lot of this. It couldn't just be based off w/l though. A free player with free deck with 30 wins/2 losses could be matched with a paying player with a beastly deck with the same w/l ratio.

I understand their main goal is to make money, as it should be for any company, but pitting free-to-play players against paying players makes this pay-to-win. A lot of free online games are like this, giving free players basics and paying players an obvious edge.

However, I noticed a few people talking about competitiveness and if someone were truly competetive they would be much higher in match making rating than someone playing with only free decks. The free decks aren't horrible but they are no contest to the people with completely customized decks with 600+ cards at their disposal.

I don't take issue with legendaries as every metagame has threats. You need to counter those threats as best you can, but with the limitations of the free player it isn't as probable unless they run a water/whatever deck and even then that only takes care of 1 of the issues.

A Match Making system would solve a lot of this. It couldn't just be based off w/l though. A free player with free deck with 30 wins/2 losses could be matched with a paying player with a beastly deck with the same w/l ratio.

Admittedly I have not run a lot of matches, but so far every one of them has been against Reshiram. I got lucky in one and beat the deck (just played the blue basic and even then after a huge lead he almost got the win because of that one card). It's just annoying to try to playtest against "real" decks (in unranked even) when it seems every player I play has Reshiram. Not a whole lot of point in trying to play with the free decks outside of AI opponents it seems. It would be nice to have matchmaking where the content of the players deck was somehow taken into account.

Also, regarding them making money. I'm cool with that, but I'm not spending cash on this game so that I can buy the only viable cards... that's not a whole lot of fun. While I could build decks meant to specifically counter Reshiram, I would have very little chance of putting something together that would work with the free decks (trainer/supporter cards alone make this difficult).

At least it wasn't Zekrom or Beartic. Free players don't have anything they're weak to at their disposal.

Lost Link Mew is another beast depending on the cards they have in their Lost Zone.

We can combat Donphan if we run a Water/??? Deck but it's still a huge pain with such a quick set up.

Shaymin/Pachirisu allow for so many 1 turn basic set up's it's insane. Zek/Tornadus/etc.

Resh/Emboar, Reuniclus/Goth, Serperior/Bellossum are all extremely difficult to play if they set up.

This amount of synergy and the 6 Turn - 6 Prizes gameplay is what makes the basic decks so inferior. I'm not even going to comment on the other possibilities and/or trainers. These are the ones I've seen the most here, or at least the ones I can remember.

I'm just gonna give it a break until I can buy a deck here in the next week or so. I suggest couch diving. Found almost 10 USD last time I did that, haha.

Archived