Why so huge?

Jc-Cards

I was initially shocked at how large the size of the app was for an online game, and I was kind of curious as to why. Here's why I have a problem with this:

Offline games don't always have access to the internet and, therefore need to take up more space on a device. As a result, offline apps will need to be a bit bigger in order to hold everything they need. Apps that require and internet connection like this one, however, shouldn't take up much space. These apps will always have to be connected to the server in order to work, and can pull data from that server. This lets those apps take up less space.

So, why is this app so big? There's no need to store much of anything on my tablet when the app can pull it from its server. The app takes its time pulling some data from the server initially, so saving time isn't a valid answer.

There is a card cache in the game that accounts for ~85% of the games space requirements. While you are correct that they could just pull all the card data from the server, the amount of RAM necessary to make this viable during a match is much more than your average tablet has (there are over 6000 HD card images in the database currently).

With the 2.36 update, they did shave the card cache down a decent amount (from ~6 GB to ~4.8 GB).

This is a beta version of the Android client, so it is still being remedied for stability. (And storage capacity, it used to take as much space as the PC client).

Archived