New FC Theme Decks

Max_POT

I would like to gather opinions about these upcoming theme decks.  

I did not find the time to check them and would like to know if you think one, the other or both may turn out to be strong. 

Thanks

They both look interesting. It's zygarde v lugia. I think the zygarde might be better but who knows. I'm only saying that because of the abundance of fighting techs

Here's my opinion:

Battle Ruler

Ace: Zygarde and Serperior

Strenghts: Sheer power, with Zygarde dealing 120 with only 3 energies and Serperior dealing up to 140 with 1 energy every 2 turns. Reasonable draw power with 2 Shaunas, 2 Tiernos, 2 Hawluchas and 2 Shuckles. 2 Deerlings that has the awesome attack to search for any pokemon in your deck, great "supporter" to find your ace.

Weaknesses: No way of recovery besides a single potion and too many useless pokemon that don't do much.

Overall: I see potential in this one, despite not having the best of match ups vs basic green and blue, but can beat them with a bit of luck. That is, mainly with Zygarde's speed to hit for 120 for just 3 energies.

Sky Guardian

Ace: Lugia and Delphox

Strenghts: The Ace's are powerhouses. Lugia is "unkillable" with Pressure that reduces 20 damage BEFORE applying resistance or weakness. The before is huge if it runs into a random electric pokemon, lets say an Electabuzz with those 20 damage for 2 energy -> does 0 to Lugia despite hitting for weakness. And Delphox can one shot everything in the format with Psystorm. Pokemon center lady is great for Lugia and ultra ball and wally are great to get delphox out. I can see many matches be like Lugia buying time to Delphox to come in an sweep. In fact, there are many pokemon in this deck that suggest that strategy, with big hp basic pokemon that can also hit reasonably bad. Pokémon Fan Club being there is just another plus to this strategy.

Weaknesses: Little draw power, only 2 Shaunas and 2 Tiernos. I forsee sometimes being stuck. If Delphox is prized, well you're gonna have to charge up some of your supporter mons that are really heavy on energies (Lugia, Snorlax, Moltres and *****) and the deck doesn't run DCE's. Little longevity for the main hitter that is Delphox, 1 pokemon center lady is meh (or maybe I'm just used to basic green).

Overall: I can see this deck working well if it doesn't get stuck. Has big hp mons to buy time that also hit hard while Delphox doesn't show up to clean everything.

Versus the basic green and blue it's gonna be tricky. Versus green, this deck will stall initially, because the main weapons are gonna be Moltres and Delphox. And it has the tools to stall, especially with Lugia with that Pressure, the basics of green can't touch it, besides Tropius. But it can't stall to the point that green gets Shiftry or Chesnaught, because lysandre is an option for green to snipe an unfinished Moltres or Delphox line. Or even Simisage has the option to torment for little damage but sufficient for the next charged up pokemon to revenge ko.

Versus the basic blue I see it struggling more, because blue generally doesn't mind this stall strategy, because their Aces also require many turns. Articuno needs 4 energies, Gyarados needs the set up evo with also 4 energies, Walrein also 4 energies, Greninja kinda irrelevent. Point is, when both decks are set up, blue will be stronger. Because any water type I mentioned one shots Delphox and Gyarados as we all know one shots everything. And let us not forget about the field. It heals, you can't even pressure that much blue to avoid its set up, because Sky Guardian doesn't run any field.

By the wall I made you figure that I like more Sky Guardian than Battle Ruler. Both seem good for the format. Only testing them out I'll get a clear idea if they're good or not tho, this was pure theory.

Here's my opinion:

Battle Ruler

Strenghts: Sheer power, with Zygarde dealing 120 with only 3 energies and Serperior dealing up to 140 with 1 energy every 2 turns. Reasonable draw power with 2 Shaunas, 2 Tiernos, 2 Hawluchas and 2 Shuckles. 2 Deerlings that has the awesome attack to search for any pokemon in your deck, great "supporter" to find your ace.

Weaknesses: No way of recovery besides a single potion and too many useless pokemon that don't do much.

Overall: I see potential in this one, despite not having the best of match ups vs basic green and blue, but can beat them with a bit of luck. That is, mainly with Zygarde's speed to hit for 120 for just 3 energies.

Sky Guardian

Strenghts: The Ace's are powerhouses. Lugia is "unkillable" with Pressure that reduces 20 damage BEFORE applying resistance or weakness. The before is huge if it runs into a random electric pokemon, lets say an Electabuzz with those 20 damage for 2 energy -> does 0 to Lugia despite hitting for weakness. And Delphox can one shot everything in the format with Psystorm. Pokemon center lady is great for Lugia and ultra ball and wally are great to get delphox out. I can see many matches be like Lugia buying time to Delphox to come in an sweep. In fact, there are many pokemon in this deck that suggest that strategy, with big hp basic pokemon that can also hit reasonably bad. Pokémon Fan Club being there is just another plus to this strategy.

Weaknesses: Little draw power, only 2 Shaunas and 2 Tiernos. I forsee sometimes being stuck. If Delphox is prized, well you're gonna have to charge up some of your supporter mons that are really heavy on energies (Lugia, Snorlax, Moltres and *****) and the deck doesn't run DCE's. Little longevity for the main hitter that is Delphox, 1 pokemon center lady is meh (or maybe I'm just used to basic green).

Overall: I can see this deck working well if it doesn't get stuck. Has big hp mons to buy time that also hit hard while Delphox doesn't show up to clean everything.

Versus the basic green and blue it's gonna be tricky. Versus green, this deck will stall initially, because the main weapons are gonna be Moltres and Delphox. And it has the tools to stall, especially with Lugia with that Pressure, the basics of green can't touch it, besides Tropius. But it can't stall to the point that green gets Shiftry or Chesnaught, because lysandre is an option for green to snipe an unfinished Moltres or Delphox line. Or even Simisage has the option to torment for little damage but sufficient for the next charged up pokemon to revenge ko.

Versus the basic blue I see it struggling more, because blue generally doesn't mind this stall strategy, because their Aces also require many turns. Articuno needs 4 energies, Gyarados needs the set up evo with also 4 energies, Walrein also 4 energies, Greninja kinda irrelevent. Point is, when both decks are set up, blue will be stronger. Because any water type I mentioned one shots Delphox and Gyarados as we all know one shots everything. And let us not forget about the field. It heals, you can't even pressure that much blue to avoid its set up, because Sky Guardian doesn't run any field.

By the wall I made you figure that I like more Sky Guardian than Battle Ruler. Both seem good for the format. Only testing them out I'll get a clear idea if they're good or not tho, this was pure theory.

I can't think of anything to add. I am most excited about the Lugia one, for the reason already said. 

Here's my opinion:

Battle Ruler

Sky Guardian

thanks for your insight. I redeemed the Sky Guardian deck, and played it 5 or 6 times but never saw Delphox nor wally.

It seems they like to hide in the bottom and let the others take the heat ;) lol

I think Battle Ruler is one of the best theme decks. Kinda like the Dark Hammer deck. It's a bit weaker than Basic Blue & Green (Green has a good type matchup against it) but still really strong. Just to point out that after one day of playing I have only 3 losses and several wins (15+) on versus, usually against Green or Blue.

It seems like the game itself is favouring it. I also won the tournament I took place in.

Don't know if that is going to keep on, but thus far I'm very satisfied with it.

Going to use it for a bit before going back to my fav Blue.

Archived