Speedy Typhlosion - Deck Improvement Ideas?

Mahsstrac

Hello everyone.

I've been playing with a fun deck (using it because it's fun to see the expression of horror and surprise on my oponent's face) that mainly consists of the Typhlosion from BKT and it's Massive Eruption attack.

BUT i'm having some trouble - everything is extremely luck-based, and I'd like to take it to a amateur tournament in a card-shop here. I don't have a lot of cards, but... What do you guys think I could tweak? I'm thinking of adding up some ENteis or other pokemons to serve mainly as tanks until I can line-up the Typhlos, or adding trainer mails.

Deck-list:

Pokémon - 9

* 4 Cyndaquil BKT 

* 1 Quilava BKT

* 4 Typhlosion BKT 

Trainer Cards - 22

* 1 Teammates PRC
* 4 Skyla BKT
* 2 Judge BKT
* 1 Birch
* 1 Shauna
* 2 Scorched Earth
* 3 Rare Candy PLB
* 2 Lysandre ****
* 4 Ultra Ball ROS
* 2 Red Card

Energy - 29

29 Fire Energy Energy

Total Cards - 60

Lol Plasmetic you don't know how the deck works. His build is correct. I would add some level balls and super rod and trainers mail. You dont need the field and 4 skylas are overkill better run 2 of them and 4 trainers mail. That deck is luck based. It's inconsistent by nature and honestly it's not that good imo. But you have the tools to have a turn 2 Typh to ko with massive eruption.

Lol Plasmetic you don't know how the deck works. His build is correct. I would add some level balls and super rod and trainers mail. You dont need the field and 4 skylas are overkill better run 2 of them and 4 trainers mail. That deck is luck based. It's inconsistent by nature and honestly it's not that good imo. But you have the tools to have a turn 2 Typh to ko with massive eruption.

Rip I have no idea how fire decks work xD

I'm used to EX oriented decks, not stuff like this xD

Nah man you have a good idea about how regular decks work. And I do think you know how to build a good fire deck. But Typhlosion Massive Eruption is a "special" deck. It doesn't follow the basics of deck building xD . It's just 4-1-4 line, some skylas with level balls and rare candies and 25-30 energies, pretty straight forward to get a turn 2 rare candy Typhlosion -> massive eruption -> 400 damage overkill (if discarded 5 energies).

Now that I'm the pc, I can suggest my changes:

-2 Skyla
-2 Scorched Earth
+1 Candy (why is plus 1 rare censored?)
+2 Level ball
-2 Judge (you're already using red card to disrupt, so focus more on you having more cards)
+2 Sycamore (because there will be times where you just want to refresh your hand)
-1 Shauna
+1 Birch (gamble ftw)
+4 Trainer's Mail
+1 Super Rod

-4 Fire Energy

My changes were towards what you desire -> more consistency. And you can only do that by adding trainers and cutting in energies. This means that you're risking your Typhlosion damage output. But hey, you can't get both, they're like in opposite sides of a scale, consistency vs damage.

If you want to keep your energy count, I strongly suggest you get rid of the stadiums and add 2 level balls. And get rid of either the Judge's or the Red Cards for maybe more draw power (Birch or Sycamore). Forget the Trainer's Mail and keep your Skylas in this case. Usually Typh deck doesn't run Red Card, just Judge, but again, Judging yourself to 4 cards when almost half of your deck is energies, huge gamble.

I'd reduce the energy count down to 20, and put in more Super Rods and Energy Recyclers. You could also put in 2 Heatmore and like 3 Muscle Bands if you want an extra tank, but I'm not too sure about doing that. Also there is Miltank.

There are basically two ways to run this deck. 

1) The discard everything on turn 1 and then Energy Recycle back method.

2) Run lots of energy and just hope for the best.

Both have their drawbacks. Method 1 is more consistent generally,but can be totally shut down by item lock. 

Method 2 is less consistent, but not as susceptible to item lock. 

You can also try an in between approach, but I'm not sure how well that works. It could be good.

Something to consider though is Puzzle of Time. I'd probably try to play 4 Trainer's Mail and 4 Puzzle of Time, along with 1 Super Rod and 1 Energy Recycler. Maybe this:

Pokémon - 10

4 Cyndaquil BKT 
1 Quilava BKT
4 Typhlosion BKT 
1 Miltank

Trainer Cards - 30

1 Teammates PRC

2 Skyla BKT
2 Judge BKT
1 Sycamore
2 Shauna
2 Scorched Earth
4 Rare Candy PLB
2 Lysandre 
4 Ultra Ball ROS
4 Trainer's Mail

4 Puzzle of Time

1 Super Rod

1 Energy Recycler

Energy - 20

20 Fire Energy Energy

Total Cards - 60

The thing about Judge and Shauna is that sometimes you have a hand full of energy and you want to shuffle it back into the deck, so those are good for that.

Archived