Why It's Okay for Heroes in Fiction to Loose Sometimes

Winxtrainer13

Disclaimer: This topic will contain a massive spoiler for XY & Z episode 20, which covers the end of Serena's Kalos Queen Pokemon Performance.

So, should we be upset that Serena did not become a Kalos Queen? No. Why should we not be upset? Well, here is why. In a fictional story, main character's who do nothing but win on a constant bases would be boring. Eventually, the characters would get boring because they are never challenged. I do not think Pokemon has the risk of a character like Serena getting boring because she achieves her dream, but it would not have since for her to stay with the main group had she achieved it in this episode (though I wanted her too).
Pokemon is a little famous (maybe a lot famous) for its heroes failing sometimes. Ash has only won one league out of four (Kalos does not count yet) and the battle frontier challenge. Out of around seventeen seasons, he has only won two things when reaching for five (again, Kalos does not count yet). To keep his character interesting, Ash has saved or helped in saving the Pokemon world numerous times across numerous journeys. Now, unlike Ash, Serena has not even finished her journey or experienced the feeling of loosing at her dream. Did loosing destroy it? NEVER! That girl has Ash as a role model.
In Pokemon XY & Z episode 20, Serena faced off against Shauna, Jessie, and Kalos Queen Aria. Despite beating Shauna and Jessie, Serena lost against Aria. However, the character still won in a way. Serena realized the importance of being a performer. During her performance against Aria, Serena would have face planted on a stage in front of hundreds of people (the event was on televised) had it not been for Sylveon flipping her and Serena making it seem like she meant for Sylveon to do that. The business woman who has been following Serena's advancement noticed this and confronted her, after Aria performed. Thankfully, by this time, Serena realized why she lost. It was because she did not give, but receive. She received advice from Elle in the past and Sylveon saved her in this performance. Two times she received, but two times she did not give back. Serena lost the tournament. But, she realized why. Because of this, the business woman said she could become a great performer and offered to train her. After a conversation with Ash about how something matters, even if you fail at it, Serena decides to decline the business woman's offer and stay on her journey. Pleased by Serena's response to why she declined, the business woman gave Serena a business card and said to call it when she is satisfied and ready too.
Why does this matter? It shows Serena really has grown from her introduction into the series. Serena started off as a girl who did not want to follow in her mother's career footsteps and left home to find a guy she had a crush on. Currently, this character is a somewhat experienced girl who has learned countless lessons on her journey and is slowly (at like the speed of forming ice) growing closer to Ash with each new experience. Not only that, but has grown enough to where she is ready to have a job as a performer and realize her dream when she feels she is ready. Like any good fictional character, Serena has become a pure hearted role model for us Pokemon fans. Serena may not have given enough to win a contest tournament, but she has certainly given enough to be a great character in my book. How about yours? Is Serena a queen in your book of favorite characters?

Everyone, smile and let your happiness freeze away the sad. Winxtrainer13 scores this episode with an A-. (By the way, Serena's Japanese voice actress sang her characters theme song. Awesome! I hope the English one does this as well!)

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen this episode, but I'd like to say that your essay was very well written and thoughtful.  This was one of the things I have ALWAYS loved about Pokemon.  That it's ok to loose, but you have to keep your head up and keep going.  I feel like todays kids are sometimes given too much.  I've seen trophies for ALL the players in a game, and have been told to tell kids, that they all won.  No.  I LOST things as a child.  I DIDN'T win, and it was OK.  That's how you become a well rounded adult, able to make tough decisions and be able to get through things when they don't necessarily go the way you want them too.  Pokemon can teach us so many lessons!

I keep saying I need to binge watch the new series... as soon as I complete the PokeDex.  

• 2 weeks later...

SpiralBreeze, thank you for the kind comment. The Pokedex is currently never ending. Good luck with that!

Archived