Anybody know of some good Special Energy searchers?

EzekeilTheMop

Just like the title says. I'm looking for cards that can be used to search out special energies. Predominantly: Rainbow, Blend, and Double Dragon Energy. I'm trying to work on building a dragon type deck without having to use basic energies, since they'd be pretty inconsistent with the deck. But I have yet to find anything good to search Special Energies. I'm not even sure if there IS anything to be honest lol! But if anybody knows of any, I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know! Thanks!

The only card i can think abt is solrock from primal clash.. And if you can wait a bit for fates collide than their is a pretty cool card , carbink break that can directly attach 2 special energies from discard pile :) hope this helps.

-Mextwo

The downside to the Pokemon mentioned by Mextwo is that they are attacks rather than abilities, so you can't do anything else afterward that turn. Also, Carbink BREAK can only attach to Fighting-type Pokemon.

As far as Trainers go, there's nothing for searching out specifically Special Energies, other than effects that encompass all cards.

In Expanded, Computer Search would be great, but you can only have one copy and it's not Standard-legal.

In Standard, Teammates is the most reliable way to get arbitrary cards, at the expense of using your Supporter for the turn and requiring your opponent to KO one of your Pokemon the previous turn. Another way, though less reliable due to needing three Trainer cards at once, is to use Battle Compressor to discard one or two Special Energies, then play two Puzzle of Time cards to retrieve them from the discard pile.

Garchomp with a Battle Compressor would work, especially for Rainbow, since attaching them from the discard pile gets around the "1 damage counter" requirement.

Also, in Expanded/Legacy there's Colress Machine, although of course that's only for Plasma Energy and Plasma Pokemon, but you can give something the Plasma Badge to make it a Plasma Pokemon if you want.

The downside to the Pokemon mentioned by Mextwo is that they are attacks rather than abilities, so you can't do anything else afterward that turn. Also, Carbink BREAK can only attach to Fighting-type Pokemon.

As far as Trainers go, there's nothing for searching out specifically Special Energies, other than effects that encompass all cards.

In Expanded, Computer Search would be great, but you can only have one copy and it's not Standard-legal.

In Standard, Teammates is the most reliable way to get arbitrary cards, at the expense of using your Supporter for the turn and requiring your opponent to KO one of your Pokemon the previous turn. Another way, though less reliable due to needing three Trainer cards at once, is to use Battle Compressor to discard one or two Special Energies, then play two Puzzle of Time cards to retrieve them from the discard pile.

Carbink Break can attach to any pokemon, if the translations are correct. It requires a Fighting Energy for its attack though.

Oh, and also in Expanded/Legacy/Unlimited there's Reversal Trigger, which you attach to a Plasma Pokemon and it lets you pick any card from your deck when that Pokemon is KOed. Like half of a Teammates, but automatic and not a Supporter.

Also, several Pokemon have attacks or abilities that let you pick specific cards, such as Swampert (Primal Clash), Milotic (only in Expanded/Legacy/Unlimited), and Florges...although I know you said you wanted it to be a Dragon deck so maybe they wouldn't work.

Swampert AT and any draw works. Skyla, Ultra Ball, Jirachi and Comp. Search are a pretty good combo if you want to do it that way.

Swampert AT and any draw works. Skyla, Ultra Ball, Jirachi and Comp. Search are a pretty good combo if you want to do it that way.

It is supposed to be Jirachi-ex, Skyla, then the Computer search. No ultra ball involved

It is supposed to be Jirachi-ex, Skyla, then the Computer search. No ultra ball involved

?? Ultra Ball = Jirachi, so every Ultra Ball is a Comp. Search.

Interviewer's Questions, a supporter card in Legacy format, can draw both basic and special energy cards within the top 8(?) cards from your deck. You may or may not select all of them and put into your hand, then the usual shuffling of the deck follows. :)

Archived