Leaving this game for good.

CandyCream

This may seem a rant, and to be truth, in particular is. However things are up for discussion.

I have been playing POTCG since it came out, very proud to have Beta Rewards. I play TCG in real life, I also judge as a part of the Professor Program and in general very active in TCG, trying to get younger audiences in to play and supporting the organiser. So it's been quite a big part of my life.

However online there is something I cannot stand.

The. shuffling. is. so. broken.

Today in the games alone, in 7 matches my opening hand was one Pokemon and 6 energies. My next three turns were all energies. Guess how many energies I play in that particular deck? 11. 11 energies and I have 9 of them in my hand.

This isn't a one of. Many many times I have draw just Pokemon in a row. Or just trainers in a row. But for some reason it's just energy that seem to be cropping up.

I tried a Manectric/Crobat combination and 5 times in a row, different matches with different people, all my opening hand had 4 Crobats.

I would understand if my deck was something that ran on load of energy, such as Typhosion but it doesn't. It has 11 energies, and I play the exact same deck online as I do in real life, and never ever have a mulligan more than once. Never ever have I had 7 energies in my hand.

This is just totally ruining game play for me. I know it sounds like I'm blaming the system but it cannot be my deck as think of the statistics of getting 9 out of 11 energies within 3 turns. I have also discussed this with a few other people and they have agreed the shuffling system really needs work.

Honestly I know programming something to try and replicate power shuffling would be near impossible, but honestly the RNG just does not know what it's doing.

It has frustrated me no end as I now I cannot rely on it to test decks out or to help other people out.

For me this does ruin the game. It gets me cross as I 100% know the deck works in real life.

_

Also another note is I'm really getting sick and tired of server updates, and the fact that we now we cannot redeem codes, with no explanation given just sucks.

I couldn't agree more that there are a few core mechanics of the game that are busted, but it's still a decent way to kill some time - especially with the recent release of the android client.

One former professor to another, I'd be happy to take those cards off your hands. I'm building up my daughter's collection now so she can start online play.

I think you should reconsider the title of your post and call it " Leaving this game for NOW"

You never know, you might want to come back to it since it has been a big part of your life.

And if you do so your cards will be there waiting for you. Who knows, the shuffling "flaw" may be fixed by then 

I think you should reconsider the title of your post and call it " Leaving this game for NOW"

You never know, you might want to come back to it since it has been a big part of your life.

And if you do so your cards will be there waiting for you. Who knows, the shuffling "flaw" may be fixed by then 

Agreed. It might be better to come back and enjoy your cards then starting all over again :) And even in real life shuffling has been a problem. Here it is somewhat more broken but that may just be because its a computer simulation, it can't include real life physical factors

I am personally sad to see you go. I had never seen you in game before, nor did I even recognize your use name. But you have the oldest account I have ever seen, and that means something. 

I agree that your reasons for leaving are legit and understandable. But I still think you should make it temporary. I would also just ignore the players who see someone is leaving and immediately think that it is a chance for free cards.

Good luck in real life, I hope you can get your full dose of Pokemon through the real game if the online version just isn't cutting it anymore.  

Ikr , if you are thinking to quit the game forever than i would say just take a little break instead of leaving this game .. In the past couple of days i saw many old players leaving this game which isnt good :( i hope you will not quit the game forever :) just take a break .. Goodluck now the decision is your's i hope you choose the right path

-Mextwo

I want to explain what RNG is and how it works in general. Random Number Generator is one of the big issues in Computer Programming.

The generator has be fed by what so called "seed". This seed could be a prime number, current time, computer temperature ... etc. The programmer wants the seed to be as much random and irrelevant to the previous results as possible which may end up combining these factors together to make it more complicated as near to randomness. The problem that arise is the result of RNG which can be within a big range of unsigned integers depending on how the data is defined (for example: an unsigned integer number of 8 bits can have a range -128 to 127). Then, the programmer has to map these integers into 60 cards ( Many-to-one ) by using a modulation scheme.

I don't know how they implement their random generator and no one of us has to know, but I believe they should reconsider their RNG scheme to but near to the randomness as possible by which the Rand( ) function has be initialized in every mulligan and in every new game.

Wow... you say the RNG needs work? You know what random is, right?
I am 100% sure your real life shuffling is way less random than the one in the game and that is why you feel betrayed.
You are betraying yourself in fact. I am judging and playing magic since 2001 and I also know what I am talking about, which makes it even more frustrating to read what you are saying.

Also I have programmed my fair share of RNG - The one in Pokémon seems to work quite well. I have not played as long as you, but I have been playing at least 20 matches daily for a while now and what you are saying never happened to me. But if it DOES happen, that is good! Because that is what real RNG does. Anything can happen!

People that play TCG in real life will often after a game shuffle energies in their deck seperately and divide them up.. to just name one shuffle technique, that is why in real life you never cluster up on energy...

IF the RNG would calculate the number of energies you can get, it would not be random. People would just play the exact ammount of energy they need, cause RNG will give them enough. Think about what you are saying.

Quoting: 

“One thing that traditional computer systems aren’t good at is coin flipping,” says Steve Ward, Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. “They’re deterministic, which means that if you ask the same question you’ll get the same answer every time. In fact, such machines are specifically and carefully programmed toeliminate randomness in results. They do this by following rules and relying on algorithms when they compute.”

You can program a machine to generate what can be called “random” numbers, but the machine is always at the mercy of its programming. “On a completely deterministic machine you can’t generate anything you could really call a random sequence of numbers,” says Ward, “because the machine is following the same algorithm to generate them.

Just saying.......

Quoting: 

“One thing that traditional computer systems aren’t good at is coin flipping,” says [/size]Steve Ward, Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. “They’re deterministic, which means that if you ask the same question you’ll get the same answer every time. In fact, such machines are specifically and carefully programmed to[/size]eliminate randomness in results. They do this by following rules and relying on algorithms when they compute.”[/size]

You can program a machine to generate what can be called “random” numbers, but the machine is always at the mercy of its programming. “On a completely deterministic machine you can’t generate anything you could really call a random sequence of numbers,” says Ward, “because the machine is following the same algorithm to generate them.[/size]

Just saying.......

^^ this.

This game does have its annoyance but i like the idea and premise of the game which keeps me always coming back to it its to addicting :P 

This may seem a rant, and to be truth, in particular is. However things are up for discussion.

I have been playing POTCG since it came out, very proud to have Beta Rewards. I play TCG in real life, I also judge as a part of the Professor Program and in general very active in TCG, trying to get younger audiences in to play and supporting the organiser. So it's been quite a big part of my life.

Today in the games alone, in 7 matches my opening hand was one Pokemon and 6 energies. My next three turns were all energies. Guess how many energies I play in that particular deck? 11. 11 energies and I have 9 of them in my hand.

This isn't a one of. Many many times I have draw just Pokemon in a row. Or just trainers in a row. But for some reason it's just energy that seem to be cropping up.

I tried a Manectric/Crobat combination and 5 times in a row, different matches with different people, all my opening hand had 4 Crobats.

I would understand if my deck was something that ran on load of energy, such as Typhosion but it doesn't. It has 11 energies, and I play the exact same deck online as I do in real life, and never ever have a mulligan more than once. Never ever have I had 7 energies in my hand.

This is just totally ruining game play for me. I know it sounds like I'm blaming the system but it cannot be my deck as think of the statistics of getting 9 out of 11 energies within 3 turns. I have also discussed this with a few other people and they have agreed the shuffling system really needs work.

Honestly I know programming something to try and replicate power shuffling would be near impossible, but honestly the RNG just does not know what it's doing.

It has frustrated me no end as I now I cannot rely on it to test decks out or to help other people out.

For me this does ruin the game. It gets me cross as I 100% know the deck works in real life.

_

Also another note is I'm really getting sick and tired of server updates, and the fact that we now we cannot redeem codes, with no explanation given just sucks.

Yes the shuffling and the kinds of cards you get are very broken. As is the ******* coin flips rng, Which almost makes you go second every single game for up to 10 games in a row. I have a hunch that coin flips are not statistics, why, because the trainer challenge coin flips more than 80% or time gets a heads. Also the coin flips for starting games, are suspiciously flipped against you if, you use a deck that wins too many time, i had 10-12 games in a row, where i had to go second, wether i chose the flip or not, with the same deck.

secondly, i believe they went against peoples wishes, and went ahead with a massive update, that eliminated an entire format, that actually balances players out. Now nightmarch, typhlosion and garchomp decks are almost uncontested in certain battles.

-insult to injury, the special challenges themselves usually rewards us with 2 prize boosters, but lately it was 3 tickets, 1 gold chest(not much better than an uncommon), and 2 lengendary treasure packs(i would rather have it in the shop) then play 5000 damage.

Yeah. There isn't much keeping me here anymore. I am close to calling it a day on this game as well. Nothing is fixed, yet we have had so much downtime. All the excuses in the world cannot change the fact that the development team has one job and one job alone, create and maintain a working and enjoyable game. They have been failing at that job for months now. It's sad that such a big company would allow what could be a huge money making venture go down the drain like it is.

Yeah. There isn't much keeping me here anymore. I am close to calling it a day on this game as well. Nothing is fixed, yet we have had so much downtime. All the excuses in the world cannot change the fact that the development team has one job and one job alone, create and maintain a working and enjoyable game. They have been failing at that job for months now. It's sad that such a big company would allow what could be a huge money making venture go down the drain like it is.

At least wait for the May 4th patch, in the hopes that these problems might be fixed (or at least a good portion of them).

Probably with the next set they fix some issues. Not everything, and new bug will come alive but, they use to fix a thousand things in the new clients or patches. Not talking about a simple maintenance, it's a new step of the game ahead. Lets have faith.

As some said, I would be more than lucky if you leave and want to share your cards away and I got some from older sets (trying to get something to play Legacy :) ) but honestly, I wish you don't quit the game. King regards.

This may seem a rant, and to be truth, in particular is. However things are up for discussion.

I have been playing POTCG since it came out, very proud to have Beta Rewards. I play TCG in real life, I also judge as a part of the Professor Program and in general very active in TCG, trying to get younger audiences in to play and supporting the organiser. So it's been quite a big part of my life.

I tried a Manectric/Crobat combination and 5 times in a row, different matches with different people, all my opening hand had 4 Crobats.

This is just totally ruining game play for me. I know it sounds like I'm blaming the system but it cannot be my deck as think of the statistics of getting 9 out of 11 energies within 3 turns. I have also discussed this with a few other people and they have agreed the shuffling system really needs work.

It has frustrated me no end as I now I cannot rely on it to test decks out or to help other people out.

_

I whole-heartedly agree with you. I and many others have brought this up many times, and every response (when there is a response) is the same-"the RNG mechanic is working as it should", when there are obvious outside influences on the ******* the very well known streak tendencies of this game.

I want to explain what RNG is and how it works in general. Random Number Generator is one of the big issues in Computer Programming.

The generator has be fed by what so called "seed". This seed could be a prime number, current time, computer temperature ... etc. The programmer wants the seed to be as much random and irrelevant to the previous results as possible which may end up combining these factors together to make it more complicated as near to randomness. The problem that arise is the result of RNG which can be within a big range of unsigned integers depending on how the data is defined (for example: an unsigned integer number of 8 bits can have a range -128 to 127). Then, the programmer has to map these integers into 60 cards ( Many-to-one ) by using a modulation scheme.

I don't know how they implement their random generator and no one of us has to know, but I believe they should reconsider their RNG scheme to but near to the randomness as possible by which the Rand( ) function has be initialized in every mulligan and in every new game.

As someone who has experience in programming, I completely agree with your sentiment. However, there are many other games with their own RNG, which do it much, MUCH better. There is really no excuse for the poor process a game of this magnitude has, and many more people would be playing this game if they would just get it right. And if there is some reason that they can't get it working properly, I think it would save a lot of headache if they would share SOMETHING with us. But everything has to be so hush-hush with this organization, so the customer base complaining will just keep on.

Wow... you say the RNG needs work? You know what random is, right?

I am 100% sure your real life shuffling is way less random than the one in the game and that is why you feel betrayed.

You are betraying yourself in fact. I am judging and playing magic since 2001 and I also know what I am talking about, which makes it even more frustrating to read what you are saying.

Also I have programmed my fair share of RNG - The one in Pokémon seems to work quite well. I have not played as long as you, but I have been playing at least 20 matches daily for a while now and what you are saying never happened to me. But if it DOES happen, that is good! Because that is what real RNG does. Anything can happen!

People that play TCG in real life will often after a game shuffle energies in their deck seperately and divide them up.. to just name one shuffle technique, that is why in real life you never cluster up on energy...

IF the RNG would calculate the number of energies you can get, it would not be random. People would just play the exact ammount of energy they need, cause RNG will give them enough. Think about what you are saying.

You need to re-read the OP, and consider the nature of programming, and consider you have your ideas exactly backwards. There were a couple of excellent posts above which shared the problem with any randomization mechanic in programming, yet there are other games which have a very professional, and very pure set of algorithms which are about as close to true random as is real life. There is no true "random" in regards to computing, as computer "decisions" are all based upon rules, and set within programmed parameters. There is absolutely no objectivity in programming, which is what challenges programmers to create a way to calculate randomness. Yet it is done in many other programs, we are asking why does Pokemon not address these quite obvious and known tendencies in the code? Just because they don't admit it publicly doesn't mean it isn't happening.

The RNG in this and most games that have RNG is actually pseudo-RNG so its not true RNG like in the pokemon video games where we can determine the RNG for spreads of a specific pokemon on older games. This sameRNG is used here and many other places. The only way TRUE RNG can be developed and used would require a super computer, which offcourse is something I doubt the pokemon company would go out of their way to get, but for an online game its actually difficult to make Pseudo-RNG like Real RNG.

Mike already stated their position to rng - quote fro ask_mike thread:

I've asked about the rng since many of you have brought it up.  We have run multiple analysis and reports that verify once again that it is a true random number generator as I expected.  When I worked on other online games, that same concern would be brought up.  I hope folks can understand that shuffling and even coin flipping in the real world is not truly random.  There are numerous physical effects that can affect them from body language to air and card resistance as well as how the cards were last stacked before being shuffled.  We understand that the end result "feels" different and on some level it is but it is not because the rng is defective, but because it is giving you a completely unbiased random effect each time.  

In short, nothing gonna change. Deal with it.

I am thinking of joining you since i  can't play a game with the following:

1.) own skill level.

2.) without bugs

3.) without net issues (when u have no net issues)

4.) well wont say cause someone may be mad about it.

i mean we complain and nothing gets done. all we get is worse and worse. now we can redeem but there is a bug with that. we suppose to be having a fun time but can't cause they make it that way.

as i said before and i say it again:

want us to enjoy ourselves, stop complaining about things. then look into making the game better. by one: matching us up against our own skill lvl. 2.) get rid of the bugs/glitches, disconnects. 3.) get rid of the ones who spams the chats left and right.

and they do not know what real rng is then. i am sorry. there is no way do i ever get 15 heads in a straight row.

Archived