Forbid wailord deck in tournaments please

BenXBlack93

I'm sorry but i must complain about this.

This wailord deck is very unfair even worse than NM, bee revenge and greninja break deck.

How can someone have fun when your oppenent is constantly discarding your energies and healing themselves because wailord has very high hp and no matter what you do it seems impossible to counter this deck, you get always denied and then you lose because you ran out of cards.

I know it's a way to win but seriously you can't really do nothing against this deck even when you think you have the slighest chance you don't he/she heals himself/herself again and discards your energy.

This deck is remotely unfair to bring to tournaments, NM and the other decks that i mentioned earlier are babies in the face of wailord deck. 

The deck surpasses the level of annoyingness it's literally utterly disgusting (yes i said it)

Sorry for the rant but most likely there are other players who feels the same way.

I'm sure other players feels the same way, but I really don't agree with you on this (which is fine, you are entitled to your opinion).

Wailord, while being trolly and annoying, is not cancerous to the metagame like NM is.

The sheer fact that you are trying to get your opponent to deck out makes it risky to play in Tournaments, as if your opponent is able to put cards back in their deck, the Wailord player could end up timing out instead of milling.

I personally think that banning a card from a play format just because it is annoying is not effective at all. Might as well ban Night March, Queen, and Greninja BREAK just because I hate them (even though they are beatable).

Have a good day,

seminc.

I'm sure other players feels the same way, but I really don't agree with you on this (which is fine, you are entitled to your opinion).

Wailord, while being trolly and annoying, is not cancerous to the metagame like NM is.

The sheer fact that you are trying to get your opponent to deck out makes it risky to play in Tournaments, as if your opponent is able to put cards back in their deck, the Wailord player could end up timing out instead of milling.

I personally think that banning a card from a play format just because it is annoying is not effective at all. Might as well ban Night March, Queen, and Greninja BREAK just because I hate them (even though they are beatable).

Have a good day,

seminc.

No, but seriously have you ever fought against wailord deck before? It's really that bad i've fought a bunch of times, this not a one time experience i can't possible win against this deck, and not only me, because i noticed that guy in the tournament that was fighting against the wailord deck took to much time i even thought my game crashed out at some point because it was really taking to much time and obviously he lost, and this deck is worse than NM like you said NM is beatable while wailord decks is unbeatable, to the point i see wailord has an active pokemon i auto-concede, because i know there's no point in playing a match that i know i will lose. (i know this quote sounds kinda hostile towards you, but i'm not raging at your comment i'm just truly displeased towards wailord deck).

I don't think Wailord EX is unbeatable by any means. Annoying? Yes. Absolutely. One of the worst, if not the worst imo. But if it was effective, it would be the most used deck in the format. And it is not even close to that. Like seminc said, why ban this and not other things? They only ban things when they are toxic to the game, and this is the first time I have even heard someone say Wailord is toxic. 

If you start banning cards because they are annoying/good/"unbeatable"/whatever, where do you stop? Obviously Wailord, NM, Queen, Item Lock, Greninja BREAK, and Toad are all gone because people don't like playing against them. Then Lucario, Garchomp, Rayquaza, Gardevoir, Primal Groudon, Yveltal, etc need to be banned because they are too good. And then what are you left with? 

Maybe this is unpopular, maybe I will find out, but if you can't beat 'em, join em. If you hate playing against Wailord decks, why not make one yourself? You will either win all the time, or learn about it's weaknesses so next time you face it, you can adapt. Every time I get beat by something consistently I try to make a deck with the same general strategy to figure out what I can do to make my other decks better.  

No, but seriously have you ever fought against wailord deck before? It's really that bad i've fought a bunch of times, this not a one time experience i can't possible win against this deck, and not only me, because i noticed that guy in the tournament that was fighting against the wailord deck took to much time i even thought my game crashed out at some point because it was really taking to much time and obviously he lost, and this deck is worse than NM like you said NM is beatable while wailord decks is unbeatable, to the point i see wailord has an active pokemon i auto-concede, because i know there's no point in *********** match that i know i will lose. (i know this quote sounds kinda hostile towards you, but i'm not raging at your comment i'm just truly displeased towards wailord deck)*

**'s fine man, I understand your frustration. I haven't played against wailord in a while, but I have battled it, and know what you mean. I just don't think that banning it from Tournaments is necessary, because if you slow down their denial you can turn the tables on them. Again, no offense taken...

Good day!

I don't think Wailord EX is unbeatable by any means. Annoying? Yes. Absolutely. One of the worst, if not the worst imo. But if it was effective, it would be the most used deck in the format. And it is not even close to that. Like seminc said, why ban this and not other things? They only ban things when they are toxic to the game, and this is the first time I have even heard someone say Wailord is toxic. 

If you start banning cards because they are annoying/good/"unbeatable"/whatever, where do you stop? Obviously Wailord, NM, Queen, Item Lock, Greninja BREAK, and Toad are all gone because people don't like playing against them. Then Lucario, Garchomp, Rayquaza, Gardevoir, Primal Groudon, Yveltal, etc need to be banned because they are too good. And then what are you left with? 

Maybe this is unpopular, maybe I will find out, but if you can't beat 'em, join em. If you hate playing against Wailord decks, why not make one yourself? You will either win all the time, or learn about it's weaknesses so next time you face it, you can adapt. Every time I get beat by something consistently I try to make a deck with the same general strategy to figure out what I can do to make my other decks better.  

Just banning wailords for tournaments is ok, the decks you mentioned sure are annoying but it's something that you can deal with.

And i think the major cause of my frustration it's because this deck takes a lot of time to deal and i get impatient, because i see i'm not getting anywhere near victory. 

And yeah i could make myself an wailord deck, but i just don't like the idea of winning just because your oppenent ran out of cards to me is more plausible straight forward decks and i would be kinda hypocrite if i wanted to create that deck to be honest.

I've seen that deck. A low cost energy efficient deck always beats it out but almost none of the widely used decks are efficient with energy.

I actually held a challenge a while back on pvp in which I challenged 10 wailord decks with my regular battle deck (yveltal + yveltal-ex + darkrai-ex) and won all 10. I'm sure you can find it if you check

The easiest trick to beating wailord is energy recycle. 95% of all these decks run 4 flare grunt 4 vs seekers and a few xerosics. If you can manage to recycle your energy such that you end up with 9 basic energy out over the course of the game, you automatically end up with the upper hand.

The method I used was- yveltal baby attaches energy to yveltal-ex as my opponent tries to discard. Finally I retreat using a float stone and keep y-cycloning energy back to yveltal baby which then goes back to active and starts reattaching.

After you bypass discard, it's only a matter of time as your stacking damage starts to pose a threat for wailord.

I do admit, I've only found this useful for yveltal-ex and lando-bats but i'm pretty sure two counters is satisfactory for any deck

I will gladly play a Wailord deck over NM, any time. In fact, I wished I'd run into a Wailord deck more in tourneys because usually I usually win by trolling back.  

Of the 10 or so times I run into Wailord I've only lost once.

They key is patience. And Sacred ashes, N and Super rods. And make your opponent's timer run out faster than yours.

this deck is funny. one time i noticed it and i didnt use no energy at all. i just kept using shauna to reshuffle my deck and not do any discards. once i got the poke on my bench i did nothing more then watch as they decked out. one time dude tried so hard to make me deck out and this was in unlimited and boom ltc came out. he was so mad and quit after that. i also used ninetails so he couldnt even use rough sees i had xball with valley. that was funny.

tho i did come across one not to long ago. i had virbank and lasers. that was funny cause i used trev which stopped him from healing. no energies tho. oh and he couldnt change stadium due to locked from that to. once he realized he couldn't do nothing to save his wailord he knew he was done for. i have used a tool to get some of my items back and i had 3 lasers.

this dude quit. half the time they quit before making me deck out. specially when i do nothing more then sit there.

That deck is easy to break... Are you joking?

Let your oppenent draw as many cards as he want, then play Hugh. And deck him out...

To echo what other posters have said, this deck is beyond annoying but certainly not broken. I personally hate playing this deck just because it's such a waste of time and IMO isn't really in the spirit of the game (in that respect it's similar to the Shiftry abomination, but that was actually broken). I'll go ahead and add that I am a huge fan and advocate of different and creative decks (I straight up don't understand netlisting since deckbuilding has always been my favorite part of TCGs), but I seriously doubt we'd all be playing if these decks represented typical gameplay.

I'll also add that I have beaten it with several decks that weren't even built to counter Wailord specifically. A Medicham pumped up with multiple Machamps and a Muscle Band can do a ton of damage for only two energy, and even one-shot (well, technically two-shot) if you can get a Fighting Stadium and Strong Energy out - and if you can't quite KO in one go, even the Wailord deck's healing capacities are going to fail at some point. And of course, a good grass-type destroys Wailord, especially since most concentrate on tools like Fighting Fury Belt over Weakness Policy.

While I can see how Wailord can be annoying for some deck, I've personally never lost to it once in expanded and I have yet to even encounter it in standard. There are some decks that can't hope to defeat Wailord and there are just as many that will almost always win when it is facing Wailord. I don't see why the game should change just because the deck you are currently running is unable to defeat it. Should we also ban any deck that runs Jirachi or Enhanced Hammer just because they counter Giratina decks? Should Silver Mirror be banned for annoying Plasma decks in Legacy? Should Suicune be banned because decks with EX pokemon can't attack it? No, we shouldn't punish players who are simply adapting to the meta game and using what they believe will win.

I don't see any reason for it be removed from normal play nor can I ever support removed anything from tournaments while keeping it in normal play. Although it might not be pleasant to be kept waiting in a tournament, the games are already on a shorted timer than normal games and it wouldn't be fair to have the time be any less.

I'd like to add that interrupts in any game setting always feel toxic. People tend to feel better when an opponent boosts something and clobbers them than when an opponent weakens them to clobber. However, a good game needs to balance both elements.

hi i play wailord ALOT tis fun, and i get beat alot too, garchomp bangs wailord so does most grass decks.
Either make one and have fun or keep using a deck with 23 energies and loose

I must say I agree with seminc here, and yes, I have played wailord, and against it, and it is definitely beatable, but it isn't cancer(like night march). The best ways to beat it are decking them out(which is surprisingly relatively easy) or hitting for weakness(Queen, Sceptile-EX, and Genesect-EX Being the best).

And also Sapphirewave had some good points with cards that counter other cards, just cause there are cards to counter your deck so that you cant have every win handed to you on a silver platter doesn't mean doesn't mean they need banned.

I must say I agree with seminc here, and yes, I have played wailord, and against it, and it is definitely beatable, but it isn't cancer(like night march). The best ways to beat it are decking them out(which is surprisingly relatively easy) or hitting for weakness(Queen, Sceptile-EX, and Genesect-EX Being the best).

And also Sapphirewave had some good points with cards that counter other cards, just cause there are cards to counter your deck so that you cant have every win handed to you on a silver platter doesn't mean doesn't mean they need banned.

yup. every deck, every card has a counter. if it didn't then what would stop it? if it didnt who would be able to beat mewtwo, lugia, yveltal? if there *********** would beat regice, safeguard pokemon?

I've overpowered Wailord decks a couple times now. As long as you do more damage than your opponent can heal, and you have at least one way of getting cards out of your discard pile (which you should anyway), you should be fine. You might try building up the energy on a Benched Pokemon first, then switching it in. At least that way your opponent won't be able to use Team Flare Grunt on you.

Wailord is annoying to play against but its not very popular atm with vespiquen's popularity wailord isnt very good i haven't seen a wailord deck in some time and i play alot musta been some badl uck 

Archived