Opening vs Trading packs?

grimlineman

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum was not sure where it fit.

Anyways I'm just getting my feet wet in the game and been buying more codes  to expand my options. My thought is to try to get at least a good number of cards from every expansion then start trading. I'm I better off just to take the codes and trade the packs for the cards  I want And not worry so much about having cards form all the latest expansions? Part of me just wants to open them all but I'm not sure how wise this is.

I understand I have to be careful and been studying cards worth on the info under trade forums. Thanks for your help and time : )

In my opinion, when first starting out it is good to open your first 5 tradable packs of each set, and then keep the rest to trade for cards you want. Whenever you obtain a trade-locked pack, you should open it, as there is really nothing else you can do with them (and you might get a really good card for your deck).

Opening the first few packs of each set gives your collection a boost, and it is likely that you get some staple cards for deck building, or a shiny premium card. Opening your trade locked packs gives you the freedom to trade away your last tradable copy of a card you pulled non-tradable, and not have to worry about keeping one for your collection.

Those are my two cents, I'm sure that other people have different opinions on this as well.

Have a good day (or night),

seminc 

Save every pack for at least 2 shaymin-EX's. Then after that, open packs to get a nice collection going. 

Just my 2 cents.

What I do, which may not be applicable to you because I play in real life, so I get many codes, and have also been playing this game for a long time and consider myself "rich" in game is:

Open 150 of each new set.

Don't open ANY others. Trade them for things I need. 150 may seem like alot, but I would apply it like a ratio to whatever you can afford. If you get 50 codes from a set, I would open 10 or so and trade the rest. But opening them is really fun I won't lie.. 

In short, if you want better value to make better decks, don't open a single pack. But if want to enjoy the game the most you can, same a small percentage, maybe 25%, to open

imo i never open my packs anymore trading away for stuff you want is always better instead of risking, but trade locked packs go crazy open them 

With regards to the packs, you'll get untradeable packs early enough.

Unless you know that the code card will give you something you absolutely need (eg, Yveltal Tin, or the Kyogre tin which comes with a full deck,) keep it on the side.

Or if you know that there is a good chance you'll get what you need (e.g., in Breakpoint, I needed Drowzee, Hypno, Darkrai, and Garchomp - I opened like 3 packs, got what I needed.) Generally, if you can use the cards that are common or uncommon (ignore rare,) open the pack. 

I'll give another example - in October, I needed Pokemon weak to dark-types. I knew that AnOr and PhFor had a bunch of these - and others that I needed like the eeveelutions. I opened them - got T-tar and M-Ttar, along with my Golurk, Regis, and Eeveelutions.

Thanks for all the great advise!

Also wondering why do I not have a portrait. Do you have to post so much first or I'm I missing a setting?

Thanks for all the great advise!

Also wondering why do I not have a portrait. Do you have to post so much first or I'm I missing a setting?

go to pokemon.com and edit your avatar there it will save to here :) 

Archived