Discussion: Energy

Tesagk

When constructing a deck, having the right amount of energy is critical.

What factors do you consider when determining how much energy you will need? After considering those factors, what are some of the amounts you settle on?

For myself, I've been told that having around 10 energy is a good number to shoot for. I've found myself in the 8-14 range, depending on how many special energies I might have. However, I haven't been able to figure out a good method for energy in decks that run multiple energy types.

It all depends on how you plan to access the energy. In decks were I play a lot of Max Elixir I try to have at least 10 basic energies in the deck (so if I'm playing 4 DCEs, I'll have 4 DCEs plus 10 basic energies for example). 

For something like Oh-ho-EX I'd probably run 12 to 14 basic energies.

For Mega Mewtwo X I run 12 energies, I think 5 Psychic and 7 Fighting. (I also run 4 Mega Turbo and 2 Max Elixir).

For something like Mega Manectric / Regice I run something like 8 Electric and 4 Water. You can even do 3 Water. You need fewer water in a deck like this because all you have to do is run Battle Compressor and discard at lest 1 Water Energy to attach it via Mega Manectric to Regice. It can make it a little harder if you have a Regice start, but there is also Switch and Escape Rope, etc.

For my Sceptile-EX / Malamar-EX deck I run I think 9 Grass and 3 Darkness. I want to make sure that I can get grass onto Sceptile more than anything, so I run mostly Grass.

But typically, in any multi-energy deck I always run at least 1 Professor's Letter. In some cases, maybe even 2. If you can attach energy from the discard pile then it makes running mutli-energy decks easier. 

But typically, in any multi-energy deck I always run at least 1 Professor's Letter. In some cases, maybe even 2. If you can attach energy from the discard pile then it makes running mutli-energy decks easier. 

What are some of the ways to discard energy from discard pile outside of M Manetric and Blacksmith (or w/e that supporters name is).

I generally consider the attack costs of my main attackers, taking into account whether they can be accelerated easily and consistently (using abilities or attacks, DCE/Dragon, Blacksmith, Colress Machine, Dark Patch, DimensionValley, etc.) or will necessarily take multiple turns requiring me to draw the necessary energies and attach them from my hand in order to set up fully. If I have to discard a lot of energy, this mechanic can generally be solved with Fisherman or (Superior) Energy Retrieval, but I might add a couple more than I usually would if I think I'm going to have trouble getting them out to begin with.

Format also makes a big difference, particularly with multi-energy decks, since Standard and Expanded decks get the benefit of being able to run Professor's Letter, which is vastly superior to Energy Search and (in most cases) Cilan. Being able to search reliably for basic energies rather than having to rely on draws, saves a fair amount of deck space, especially if I'm only splashing.

I tend to err on the side of more energy, and I guess I run on average around 12-14 total, with a mix of special and basic. However, my Greninja Break deck only has 10 (which I think is more than most would suggest, but it works for me) since the Greninja attack costs are all 1 and Water Shuriken discards are easily retrievable, while my multi-color legacy Plasma deck runs 15.

What are some of the ways to discard energy from discard pile outside of M Manetric and Blacksmith (or w/e that supporters name is).

To get the energies from the discard pile, Mega Turbo is reliable, but requires a Mega evolution.

You can do Energy Retrieval and Fisherman to put it in your hand.

You can super rod to put them back in your deck (not a good idea if you need Pokemon in the discard as well - Super Rod mandates moving 3 qualified cards, want to or not.)

To me it depends on space available in the deck. Trading off one energy space for a trainer's mail, seems more efficient because you're essentially getting 2 for 1. 8-12 energy seems like a good range to move around, and it all depends on the type of deck you're running. Running too many energies can result in too many dead draws. Only through testing will you figure out the best amount of energy to run for certain decks. Vacating an energy spot for draw or search support can make a big difference in any deck.

i normally have 11 most thats dce and basic combined. but it depends on the deck. if i am using lugia i will use xerneas to get energy on it and i will normally have more then 11 energy total. that way i have enough to load up 3 lugias. i also use energy transfer fairy to transfer any energy i may need to finish off a poke. specially mewtwos.

goal is to have more support tho then energy. normally 11 to 13 is good. anything higher is normally a death trap

Whenever I build decks, I tend to run 12 as a base. 12 Basic Energy or 8 Basic Energy and 4 Special or Double Colorless Energy. Not too much, and not too little. Breaks my heart when I see a deck with 20 Energy.

There's also:

-XY Yveltal, Landorus and Houndoom-EX all have moves to attach an energy from the discard pile to another pokemon; Yveltal only picks dark energies and Houndoom-EX only picks fire energies, though

-Dark Patch can attach one dark energy to one benched dark pokemon, but it's Expanded-only

-Typhlosion Prime can attach a fire energy to one of your pokemon with the cost of putting one damage counter on it, and it's playable only in Legacy and Unlimited.

Whenever I build decks, I tend to run 12 as a base. 12 Basic Energy or 8 Basic Energy and 4 Special or Double Colorless Energy. Not too much, and not too little. Breaks my heart when I see a deck with 20 Energy.

yeah almost every deck i have as 20/20/20 and i am like really. they then wonder why they lose so bad. its cause all they get is mostly energy and have no draw power.

in expanded having no draw power means bad. n will kill those decks easily.

I'm testing out Bronzor as a way to attach metal energies from the discard pile to Scizor-EX and Aegislash-EX

Nice. Finding it difficult to get that Bronzor though.

yeah its always been. thats why i stopped using it. specially to get energy in discard to put energy on my poke. you need atleast 2 on bench to make it work real good to.

Just buy like 10-20 Phantom Forces packs in the on-line store. You'll pull some.

Just buy like 10-20 Phantom Forces packs in the on-line store. You'll pull some.

If i understand correctly and you don't have any bronzor, I can trade you a playest for free. If you are having trouble getting them out of your deck, i would suggest posting a deck list.

I have Bronzong, but not the Bronzor with the metal links ability. But, at the moment, I don't really have a steel deck going. My steel collection is sort of haphazard without any real win conditions.

Archived