Live Action Pokemon Movie in the works

GrewupGeek

Hey folks, came across some news that might peak your interest, but looks like there is going to be a live action Pokémon movie coming out in the future.  Right now, there is a bidding war between studios on who is going to make it.  Looks like the superbowl commercial sparked something.  When it comes out, would you try to catch it at the theaters?

Me, I probably would, as long as they try the same thing as the commercial, where they use CGI pokemon with live people.  If they try to make pokemon the way they might look in the real world, some of them would creep me out.  Another thing that would make it awkward is if they tried to do a live version of Ash, or any of the game protagonist, then it would make the game and the anime, especially how they would approach.

Sounds interesting!

Years ago someone made a "trailer", it was something along the lines of Pokemon meets the apocalypse. The cinematography was excellent for such a low budget production.

Let's just hope that with Pokemon being an anime that it doesn't start the whole Asian actor debate that Ghost in the Shell has.

If they can't find a Japanese boy to play Ash, than I think I will be disappointed.

Chances are, since the movie would probably be made in the US, then it'll be anybody's guess on if anybody well play Ash, or Red, depending on world they'll be using.  Just hoping it won't turn out as bad as the other movies that are based off of a franchise, like Mario Bros.

Chances are, since the movie would probably be made in the US, then it'll be anybody's guess on if anybody well play Ash, or Red, depending on world they'll be using.  Just hoping it won't turn out as bad as the other movies that are based off of a franchise, like Mario Bros.

I see a lot of possibilities for a movie like this, and even more ways for them to screw it up :P

I'm hoping it'll be a stand-alone movie, with no characters we've seen before (except for the Pokémon). That way there will be less to mess up.

• 2 months later...

Update:  Looks like Legendary Pictures studio has won the bid, and filming starts in 2017.  And from the looks of things, the movie well be based off of the Detective Pikachu game.  Haven't played the game, but those who have, well at least you have a clue on what the plot is about.  Not sure if I should be disappointed that isn't going to be like the commercial used in the Superbowl, or glad they they didn't try to copy off any of the games or anime.

I found an article which talks more about it.

A movie based on the Pokemon franchise 3DS game Great Detective Pikachu has been announced. Rights have been acquired by Legendary Pictures and production will begin in 2017.

The movie will be distributed by Universal Studios worldwide and Toho Pictures in Japan. Riding on the success of the recent hit game Pokemon GO, the movie comes in at just the right time.

I'm not sure how to feel about it. My sister is a big Pikachu fan and she's not liking this in the least.

Archived