[Solved] Exeggcute "Propagation" Bug

Pika36521

Exeggcute card 4/116 from Plasma Freeze Expansion has an ability called Propagation which allows the player to put it from the discard pile into his/her hand once per turn. This is a fact. The problem, and also a fact, is that this ability is being allowed multiple times per turn for the same Exeggcute card.

Please do something about this bug as it can be over powerful in decks like Archie's Blastoise, allowing the player to play multiple Ultra Balls or Superior Energy Retrievals per turn with only 2 Exeggcute on the discard pile. In theory a player should be allowed to use 4 Propagation abilities per turn instead of countless.

Attentiously, Cuqk

This is not a bug, this has been addressed multiple times while Exeggcute was in standard for the who knows how many years it was in, but once again, let me tell you why:

When a player uses Propagation, it goes into the hand. The hand is private. in a normal gameplay state it is not possible to tell how many Exeggcute exist in the opponent's hand. Therefore, they could technically say that they have another Exeggcute. Even if they obviously do not, even if they use it more than four times a turn, this applies and they may do that.

I didn't knew this issue was addressed before.

In any case, being a player's hand private, you still know only 4 copies of each card are allowed in a deck, and therefor it would be plausible to play Exeggcute's ability 8 times at most.

Plus, the discard pile isn't private and you can see that player putting Exeggcute back into hand or to the discard, otherwise it wouldn't be plausible as they could be using any other card to simulate the same effect.

How is that possible this issue was addressed since years ago and still no one admitted this isn't the correct working mechanism? I mean, can this happen in real life? Play the same Exeggcute's ability countless times? It's explicit in the card that one can only use the ability once per turn!

Absolutely, it has been addressed in the game in real life in many, many, MANY tournaments.

Let me put it this way to you with another card:  Ho-oh from DRX's Rebirth.

Rebirth is almost like Propagation, but it requires a flip for the bird to come to the board with 3 free basics.

In the case where you fail Rebirth with any 1 Ho-oh, that would be the end of that.  However, if you use something like Sacred Ash/Super Rod to put 1 back in, and follow immediately by a Battle Compressor to throw it into the discard again.  The game will treat it as a new Ho-oh altogether, allowing another try.

Just as if Egg comes back to hand, and goes into the discard again, the game will treat it as a new egg.

From the actual Compendium of rulings years ago:
Q. If I use Exeggcute's "Propagation" Ability to retrieve it from the Discard Pile into my hand, then use something like Ultra Ball or Computer Search to discard Exeggcute, would I be able to use "Propagation" again to retrieve it from the Discard Pile?
A. Yes, whenever Exeggcute is in the Discard Pile, you may use Propagation during your turn as long as its Ability has not been disabled. (Plasma Freeze FAQ; May 16, 2013 TPCi Rules Team)

Also, under comprehensive rules:
316.10a A card that changes zones is no longer the same card, even if it returns to the previous zone. Any modifiers on that card are removed when changing zones.

Using Ho-oh as an example again, I can use Rebirth to bring her back as my 6th Bench under Sky Field.  Use an energy switch to give the energy to another Pokemon, then use Paint Roller to get rid of Sky Field to get rid of Ho-oh.  If I were to play another Sky Field, I may choose to use the same Ho-oh's Rebirth again, as it has already changed zones.

Absolutely, it has been addressed in the game in real life in many, many, MANY tournaments.

Let me put it this way to you with another card:  Ho-oh from DRX's Rebirth.

Rebirth is almost like Propagation, but it requires a flip for the bird to come to the board with 3 free basics.

In the case where you fail Rebirth with any 1 Ho-oh, that would be the end of that.  However, if you use something like Sacred Ash/Super Rod to put 1 back in, and follow immediately by a Battle Compressor to throw it into the discard again.  The game will treat it as a new Ho-oh altogether, allowing another try.

Just as if Egg comes back to hand, and goes into the discard again, the game will treat it as a new egg.

From the actual Compendium of rulings years ago:

Q. If I use Exeggcute's "Propagation" Ability to retrieve it from the Discard Pile into my hand, then use something like Ultra Ball or Computer Search to discard Exeggcute, would I be able to use "Propagation" again to retrieve it from the Discard Pile?

A. Yes, whenever Exeggcute is in the Discard Pile, you may use Propagation during your turn as long as its Ability has not been disabled. (Plasma Freeze FAQ; May 16, 2013 TPCi Rules Team)

Also, under comprehensive rules:

316.10a A card that changes zones is no longer the same card, even if it returns to the previous zone. Any modifiers on that card are removed when changing zones.

Using Ho-oh as an example again, I can use Rebirth to bring her back as my 6th Bench under Sky Field.  Use an energy switch to give the energy to another Pokemon, then use Paint Roller to get rid of Sky Field to get rid of Ho-oh.  If I were to play another Sky Field, I may choose to use the same Ho-oh's Rebirth again, as it has already changed zones.

Oh wow, I did not know this - thanks for the info. I recently built a deck with some Exeggcutes and had noticed this phenomenon, but assumed it was a glitch and always chose not to "exploit" it. Now I know!

Clear_Zero, perfect explanation. Just like using Keldeo to switch a pokémon to remove a special condition, and put it back active again. Now i get it, and makes sense. It would be much simpler and less confusing if the text stated "as often as you like during your turn", as it indeed works that way by nature as a card that changes zones is no longer the same card, but still, clearing the misunderstanding is a relief.

On another note, that sky field/ho-oh/energy switch or golduck break/paint roller is an interesting energy accelerator i haven't ever thought of. Of course, i never owned a Ho-Oh DRX so i never got to experiment with it.

Thanks a lot for the bother brother! :)

• 1 month later...

Hello!

As already mentioned, this is not a bug and is working as intended. As such, I'll go ahead and close this thread, but please feel free to create a new thread or submit a ticket via the link in my signature if you come across any other issues.

Thanks for your report!

Archived