Discussion: # of Basic Pokémon

Tesagk

I'm still a newbie when it comes to deck building. I'm sure that I'm not alone in this.

I often come up with questions I'd like answered, but rather than asking someone specifically, I figured I would throw it out to the community. Helpful, thoughtful, or other "good" answers may make it into the original post for the benefit of all.

Question: How many basic Pokémon should a deck run?

I've had issues getting a first hand with as many as 10 basics. However, I've seen some decks run as little as 5 or 6.

What are your thoughts?

It just depends on the deck. Generally, you don't want to run too many though. My decks tend to focus on 1 main attack, and run around 3 copies of that card. And usually run around 2 or 3 copies of other cards in the deck, depending on how much room there is and what cards I need.

It's okay to not pull a basic in your first hand. Deck strength matters more.

Good thoughts so far, guys. Yeah, I've found that 6-10 is a range I like to stay in. 6 is sort of on the low end though, not sure what decks would utilize that. I suppose if I had two Shaymin for my Trev deck I could see myself doing 4 Phantump and 2 Shaymin.

It depends on the deck, really - TDK may run as much as 12-15 basics (Thundurus, Deoxys, Kyurem, maybe Lugia + techs). Big basics deck (Landorus/everything) run almost totally on basics (Garbodor *cough*). 

Think that EX are Basic pokémon so usually if it's your main attacker you'll run 4 of each + 2 shaymin + 2 or more basic for support (e.g. Remoraid), a middle number of 8 per deck.

Totals use to go 12 to 15 more or less so if your deck's main attacker is a Stage 2 you would run 4 basic for that + support, lets say Garchomp+Lucario so 4 Gible+ 2 or 3 Lucario + 2 Hawlucha + 2 or 3 Landorus+...? 12+? That's a lot. It is? Does work? If works is right . And Greninja Deck? 4 Froakie+2 Remoraid, only 6, too low? Works? Right.

It's not a matter of how much basic should a tier 1 deck run. Won't be better 8 than 6 or 9 than 12. The deck makes itself when works so that will be the correct number in every case.

One thing to keep in mind with these discussion threads is that I'm not looking for one person to post the "right" answer that everyone else should listen to.

The objective of the thread is to share what people have found to work so that, down the road, if someone else is thinking this question, there's a whole thread full of answers for them to gain a better understanding of the concept.

I tend to only include Shaymin if I plan on running 7 or more other basics to reduce Shaymin starts. I don't count it in the say 7 minimum I might have in a given deck. 4 phantoms and 2 Shaymin sounds like many Shaymin starts. At least 2 to 3 more basics would be preferable. Then again you might run 4 judge and a few red card in your tree deck I don't know. I would still rather have a wobbuffet start than a Shaymin start for that deck.

Plasma is a pretty special case so is Yveltal. I think 8 or 9 is my own magic number in general before counting Shaymin which I consider draw support.

Good thoughts so far, guys. Yeah, I've found that 6-10 is a range I like to stay in. 6 is sort of on the low end though, not sure what decks would utilize that. I suppose if I had two Shaymin for my Trev deck I could see myself doing 4 Phantump and 2 Shaymin.

My favorite deck that I currently run in two versions  - my Lucario EX decks.  Original has 5 Pokemon (all basic), 15 Energy and 40 Trainers.

Version 2.0 has 7 Pokemon cards (added in two Mega Lucarios - unfortunately there's no spirit link for this Mega :( ), still 15 energy, but 38 Trainers.

I more often do not get a basic in my first draw than I do.  Sometimes it's as low as 1-2 draws, so far haven't had to do more than 5 draws....Only thing bad is if I draw Landorus first - since he's my "get energy from discard pile and load up Lucarios after losing one" card.  LOL

Archived