Bringing the TCGO to the next level

dra0203

Hello, I am a big fan of this game because it really helps someone like me to regain my childhood dream. However, will it be possible to held POKEMON TCGO annual world tournament like the cards in reality? It would be awesome because I believe it will be much more competitive since everyone can make decks easily here. The points system and others should just act exactly similar to the actual cards games. I believe this will help to expand the pokemon cards network further at least on Malaysia which Pokemon TCG is somehow not famous enough.

Hi guys!

What a neat idea! I'll send the info here up through the channels for review. Feel free to discuss if you like!

Thanks!

This would be really cool! An annual worlds tourney! That sounds amazing. But, I don't know how they would do this; would there be invites? Would you need a certain amount of wins to enter? Would it cost real money? Tokens? Tournament Tickets? Your idea is a good one, it's just not viable in my opinion. They would have to manage hundreds of players from the internet which is really hard to do. Trust me, i tried to host a LAN party with 5 other people. That didn't work so well. If something fails, if the internet drops, some people don't have very good internet and if the disconnect that could cost them the tournament. Way to come up with a new idea though. It's would be cool, just very hard to pull off.

I am really appreciate that there are some peoples out there who agree with me, here are the few highlights/ suggestions for the coming World Tourney:

1) The World Annual Tournament should work in such a way: Regional, States, National and finally International

Players compete among their regional players based on registration of individual. Similar to a football league point system. Only REGISTER players are allowed to involved in the league game. Top 3 players in each region will be competing into the states and so on( Cant describe here because it required a detail proposal). Age group consideration?

2) Real money involved? 

No, according to the policy of TCGO, this game shall not involved any form of money. For this part, I think the moderator is doing a great job by providing an awesome and productive rewarding system as compare to the past(U can easily earn tokens nowadays). However, selling codes should be allowable.

3) Should we make the old or valuable cards more available for new players?

No, old or valuable cards should stick back to the market value presented in current market. Do not get me wrong, those who play with me before will know I do not have many FAs or SRs. The reason I am supporting my statement is because we must always pay our tribute to the older players for running the game together for so long. Most importantly, we do not need FAs and SRs to look stronger, a win is a win. If new players intended to collect old cards, the tokens reward system and tournament is more than enough as long as consistent playing. Deoxys, victini or old sleeves? Do not worry, as long as the online TCGO become available, the return of many old players will definitely decrease the rarity of these products. 

4) Tournament tickets

If I am right, the tickets purchasing function is set in the game but with slightly overprice. Also, the tournament is ready all the time making it not as precious as its past. Therefore, they should organised a higher reward but only weekend tournament(Of course we have to decide the standard timezone as well)

5) Trades

When it comes to public trades, the trades are expected to rise more since the game become more excited. Thus,the moderator should limit the trades of each player like disallowed identical trades etc.

That is only a minor part of my point of view(Because typing all of them is impossible), do hope this thread will get the attention from different parties for further improvement. Personally, I do tried to host a pokemon TCGO tournament before like others. Unfortunately the outcome is not as good as it should. The main reason is because most players felt pointless even they won the tournament and hence refused to waste time on it. However, with the announcement of World Tournament and increasing advertisement, I believe this game will guaranteed a whole new level of development. The best part now is the game no longer limited to window and iMac. They are already in Ipad and coming to Android Tablets in a short while. Imagine if there is really a day where peoples carry their device and compete in the annual LAN online tcgo tournament, that would be a dream comes true. 

Large scale tournaments like this are actually easy to do. Have a tournament available on specific days, and instead of trophies, award "Master Points" for first and second place. Then, weekly, or monthly tournaments fire using the Master Points you earned as the entry fee to earn Champ Points. After collecting X amount of Champ Points, you Qualify for a States-Level tournament, then by placing high enough, you can be invited to a Worlds-level event.

Or something along those lines. Basically, put in the time and effort, and get an appropriate result, baring player skill.

Anyway, cool prizes could be exclusive promo cards/sleeves etc. And prize packs too! And instead of having to re-work the tournament system, just have multiple waves of 8-man tournaments or something like that, until you get a winner! That would make it easier to award prizes at different stages too.

Anyway, that would be an easy way of running an event like this, but just a basic idea. Obviously needs refined more, but it's food for thought.

I think it'd be a great idea to have major tournaments like this on PTCGO. The program's competitiveness definitely needs to be taken to the next level -- time for these 500+ trophies to mean something!

That said, if it doesn't already have it, PTCGO needs very close coordination with Organized Play in making a big competitive decision like this. For example, running PTCGO's top-level competition over a span of several weeks would be essential so that it doesn't conflict with the physical-world Pokemon schedule.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived