Go first or second?

Xknight2099

Is it generally better to go first or second ? Does it really matter?

I feel like it's better to go second since you get to attack, however I am still new. Maybe it depends on you deck?

Thoughts?

Usually, going first is best, as even though you don't get to attack, you get 1 extra turn of set up before you start up the big guns, and your opponent is generally less able to defend themselves.

It depends on your deck.

With my old Charizard-EX and Florges-EX decks, I liked to go second so I can use Stoke or Lead on my first turn. With my Typhlosion deck, I like to go first since the deck is really useless until I evolve Cyndaquil up to Typhlosion.

Going 1st or 2nd matters. Especially in mirror match-up. But it depends on your deck. NM will generally want to go 2nd for those juicy 200 damage right away.

As everyone else said, it depends on the deck. Night March, Lucario, or other speed turn-1 attack decks you want to go second. Anything that requires any setup, for example if you are relying on a stage 2, then you want to go first so you have the first chance to evolve. 

As everyone else said, it depends on the deck. Night March, Lucario, or other speed turn-1 attack decks you want to go second. Anything that requires any setup, for example if you are relying on a stage 2, then you want to go first so you have the first chance to evolve.

that's pretty much the biggest reason. Reasons to go first or second fall into three categories:

1. what suits your deck-

if you need to evolve or energize a lot, usually going 1st works better. If you can attack easily first turn, then it's usually better to go second.

2. what cripples your opponent's deck-

if you're playing against night march, you might notice that they get a better prize trade vs you (if you're playing an ex deck)

starting second against night march means that you have a headstart which they have to make up

similarly, starting second vs toad really helps in two ways- firstly they don't get first turn item lock, secondly they usually end up having to attach their energy which you can later hammer off (since t1 lock can't be made if they start first)

other notable cases: start first vs trev and vs stage 1's and stage 2's

3. Miscellaneous causes:

this isn't based on your type of deck (max stage of evolution or energy you need) but rather on the techs you run.

For example, if you run hammers, you usually want to have your opponent having energy for you to discard. Then starting second provides an advantage.

If you're running max elixirs, chances are you'll be able to attack turn 1. in this case, it's generally favourable to start second.

All in all, check out your deck and your opponent's deck and you should be able to figure out whether to start first or second.

I hope this helped :)

I like to go first no matter what deck I am running. Being able to set up and get your energy down first is awesome. Even if I am playing Landorus-EX I go first so I can get everything going first.

I like to go first for three reasons:

1.) I can set up my own hand first and start the process of powering up pokemon that require multiple energy.

2.) I can avoid situations where my opponent uses first turn hand disruption (judge, redcard, delinquent, etc)

3.) If things fall a certain way, it gives me the chance to use first turn hand disruption. 

If you play with a quick set up glass cannon deck like night march (which has minimal resistance to damage and lots of fire power for minimal attack cost), going second helps.  For most other decks, going first is going to be your best bet.  

Archived