High-Roller Tournaments

Patriarch

This is reiterating an old suggestion, but after seeing an interesting post online, I felt it needed to be brought up again:

A current problem with the accessibility of tournaments is that there is no MMR involved. The result is top-tier players effortlessly grinding packs against a slew of new, unskilled, or casual players.

It's my understanding that the current client allows for much larger tournaments. Why not take advantage of this option to incentivize competitive players to fight for substantial prizes, as opposed to starving new players?

The way the system is now leads to absurd situations like Worlds qualifiers and winners annihilating Glaceon.dec.Surely a slight tweak could solve that entirely?

Well they do do larger tourneys with bigger prizes mainly special tourneys with different packs, and pack grinding is good I'd rather play against ez wins to get packs easier i think we all would a challenge here and there is fun in tourneys tho. But it would be cool to see larger bigger tourneys with like the prize being like 50 packs or something :)  

I like the general idea, but how to actually implement it is the issue. 

First of all, what would be the qualifiers for the "High-Roller Tournaments?" do you need a certain win percentage? High enough ELO rating? Certain number of victories/ladder points? Perhaps how long you have been a member of the game? It's very complicated, and I can't think of a decent solution.

Next, what would we do about wait times? Surely if only the top say 5% of players could enter these tournaments, it would take quite awhile for 8 of them to enter the tournament.

Would the players who are elligable for the top-tier tournaments be banned from normal tournaments?

I do like the idea of top-tier tournaments, but I also like the idea of tournaments being a free-for-all where it is just my best vs your best, regardless of how good you are. I know it is no fun for new players to get steamrolled by a veteran, who goes on to win tournaments easily (I personally have faced a theme deck in a standard tournament championship..). But unless there were much higher rewards to play top-tier tournaments, why would I wait longer for it to start, and then face players who could easily beat me? I know some would for the bragging rights, or perhaps a higher reward, or some kind of special trophy or whatever. But some would not. If someone comes up with a good solution for all of this, consider me on board! Until then, I will remain neutral (he says after writing an essay on the thread, ironic, I know XD)

Edit: On a slightly separate note, can we have a way to display our tournament trophies? I think that would be funsies. Also, as Littledarkfurry said, I would love some inside knowledge on the progression of tournament sizes (more players, double elimination, etc)

I like the general idea, but how to actually implement it is the issue. 

First of all, what would be the qualifiers for the "High-Roller Tournaments?" do you need a certain win percentage? High enough ELO rating? Certain number of victories/ladder points? Perhaps how long you have been a member of the game? It's very complicated, and I can't think of a decent solution.

Next, what would we do about wait times? Surely if only the top say 5% of players could enter these tournaments, it would take quite awhile for 8 of them to enter the tournament.

Would the players who are elligable for the top-tier tournaments be banned from normal tournaments?

I do like the idea of top-tier tournaments, but I also like the idea of tournaments being a free-for-all where it is just my best vs your best, regardless of how good you are. I know it is no fun for new players to get steamrolled by a veteran, who goes on to win tournaments easily (I personally have faced a theme deck in a standard tournament championship..). But unless there were much higher rewards to play top-tier tournaments, why would I wait longer for it to start, and then face players who could easily beat me? I know some would for the bragging rights, or perhaps a higher reward, or some kind of special trophy or whatever. But some would not. If someone comes up with a good solution for all of this, consider me on board! Until then, I will remain neutral (he says after writing an essay on the thread, ironic, I know XD)

Edit: On a slightly separate note, can we have a way to display our tournament trophies? I think that would be funsies. Also, as Littledarkfurry said, I would love some inside knowledge on the progression of tournament sizes (more players, double elimination, etc)

My suggestion on How to allow / disallow a player from Highroller touraments would be SIMPLE.... Warn the players joining the tourament is HIGHROLLER and if they are Novice player BE WARNED.... Then if the get STOMPED We don't have to Feel bad, Really liking the idea of Double elimination and Team battles.....

My suggestion on How to allow / disallow a player from Highroller touraments would be SIMPLE.... Warn the players joining the tourament is HIGHROLLER and if they are Novice player BE WARNED.... Then if the get STOMPED We don't have to Feel bad, Really liking the idea of Double elimination and Team battles.....

But if there is no actual criteria, how is it a "Highroller?" It could just as easily end up being 8 weaker players like it already is.. There would have to be some way to disallow weaker players from entering, or nothing would change. 

One way to implement this is to have a "holo ticket" system. The only way to acquire holo tickets is to win the ticket entry tournaments. The way it would work is that winning a tournament would grant you one holo ticket that you could then use to enter the holo tournament which is a 32 man tournament with even better prizes than 6 ticket tournaments. How many holo tickets required to enter the holo tournament is a tricky question but i think 3 or 4 is a good number.

An issue arises with population count, how do you get 32 people with 3 holo tickets in a lobby together without ridiculous waiting times? One proposed solution is to only make holo tournaments available during a small time window, say a designated day or weekend.

There are some pretty good suggestions. I agree that implementation is the key difficulty -- Legacy tournaments seem pretty hard to get full on weekdays, so I can only imagine what it'd take for these. However, advertising the competitive events like how the video game advertises the friendlies on the main page could work wonders. It'd also keep the weekdays more open to the casual players if the hardcore players are more entertained with big ticket weekend events.

So for example, right now the basic 4-ticket tournament gives out among eight people, for a cost of 28 tickets, 7 booster packs and 4 tournament chests. For argument's sake, let's say 28 tickets are worth that many prizes.

A high-roller tournament, then, could charge 20 tickets per person, double or quadruple the size of the bracket, and  offer a massive prize pool proportionate to the added ticket cost and tournament size.

Archived