Espeon-EX and Archie/Maxie

ZevKyogre

On the one-year anniversary of the release of Primal Clash, I wrote a post about how Archie and Maxie are properly used, and highlighted some good-pairings.

I was wrong.

I highlighted in there the change of the game considering the banishing of Lysandre's Trump Card, and how it affected their use. I mentioned about the Breaks, and the expansion of Mega Evolutions. These were necessary updates, as other online articles were all from pre-LTC bans (and pre-Break,) so I added in the tidbit of legalities and impacts with these.

I did not, back then, see the impact of a few more key players, so I'll do that now.

In the article, I stated that Maxie was inferior to Korrina's engine, and should be ignored in most cases. After trying Korrina's engine, and Maxie, I found a few key differences.

One was that for Maxie to work, you needed:

VS seeker, Battle compressor, 2 Maxies, and the Pokemon of choice (preferably two of them) - about 6 cards. You also need space on the bench - as long as you don't have Parallel City to contend with, you actually should be okay.

For Korrina:

Level Ball or Pokemon Fan Club, 2 basic Pokemon, 2 Korrinas, 2 rare candies / spirit links, and time - 7-8 cards, and two dedicated turns.

For Traditional / Skyla:

Basic pokemon x2, Evosoda x2, Skyla, VS seeker

When dealing with 60 cards, you don't have space for two extra cards. Each card makes a difference.

On top of this, because of Breakpoint being new when I wrote the article, a popular card has popped up. Espeon-EX can devolve your pokemon, with one energy, and is versatile beyond that. 

It is insane now, to rely on Rare Candy to evolve your Pokemon to their final forms. The risk is beyond what you should exhibit, and special precautions must be taken, if this IS done.

Archie and Maxie are now more important than ever, for allowing you to function in a diverse-type setting.

Maxie has gotten particular attention from me for the new Garchomp in my deck. For one fighting energy, you recover ANY energy from the discard pile - basic or special. And with no retreat cost, he's great for picking off a revenge-kill, or type-disadvantage. 

Anyone want to add something?

To me, the main drawback of Maxie/Archie is having to find a way to reduce your hand down to 1 card. Besides that trouble, it is great.

To me, the main drawback of Maxie/Archie is having to find a way to reduce your hand down to 1 card. Besides that trouble, it is great.

I agree with this. Even in one of the greatest versatile formats (Unlimited) when it used to exist in VS mode, it was a great trouble to get a consistent hand to get a Archie/maxie combo going consistently.

So its pretty difficult to get a Archie/Maxie Deck consistent. But if you make one very consistent. Its like you achieved something setting up faster than decks using set up shaymin. It has many advantages once Archie/Maxie sets up and rolls !!

Archived