Chesnaught decks...

rgp151

So, with Garchomp and Greninja both being popular I've been building more Grass decks. I've come up with two versions of Chesnaught that are pretty good. One is Chesnaught/Zoroark to also hit Trevenant for weakness, and the other is just straight Chesnaught to be a little more effective at getting Chesnaught out. Not sure which I like best overall. Zoroark is good.

Here is the just Chesnaught one:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 15

2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
2 Celebi PR-XY XY93
2 Chesnaught BREAK BKT 12
3 Chespin BKT 9
3 Quilladin XY **
************ XY 14
2 Chesnaught BKT 11

Trainer Cards - 35

4 Bursting Balloon BKP 97
3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
1 Eco Arm AOR 71
1 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 162
1 Super Rod BKT 149
1 Lysandre AOR 78
3 Shauna PHF 104
1 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 94
1 Escape Rope PLS 120
1 Evosoda XY 116
3 Forest of Giant Plants AOR 74
1 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 105
3 VS Seeker ROS 110
1 Revitalizer GEN 70
1 AZ PHF 91
2 Muscle Band XY 121
3 Ultra Ball ROS 93
2 Level Ball AOR 76
2 Professor Sycamore PHF 101

Energy - 10

4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92
6 Grass Energy Energy 1

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Here is the one with Zoroark:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 18

2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
2 Zorua BKT 89
2 Zoroark BKT 91
2 Celebi PR-XY XY93
1 Chesnaught BREAK BKT 12
3 Chespin BKT 9
3 Quilladin XY **
************ XY 14
2 Chesnaught BKT 11

Trainer Cards - 32

4 Bursting Balloon BKP 97
2 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
1 Eco Arm AOR 71
1 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 162
1 Super Rod BKT 149
1 Lysandre AOR 78
3 Shauna PHF 104
1 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 94
1 Escape Rope PLS 120
1 Evosoda XY 116
3 Forest of Giant Plants AOR 74
1 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 105
3 VS Seeker ROS 110
1 Revitalizer GEN 70
1 AZ PHF 91
2 Float Stone BKT 137
3 Ultra Ball ROS 93
2 Professor Sycamore PHF 101

Energy - 10

4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92
6 Grass Energy Energy 1

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

The nice thing about Zoroark is both that he can hit for weakness on Trevenant and that he can attack for a single energy attachment. Also Chesnaught has heavy retreat cost, so Zoroark addresses that.

The basic idea with the decks is to use Celebi and Bursting Balloons to get damage onto pokemon to setup for Spike Lariat, which is the main attack used in the deck. Celebi is actually super critical to the deck. I usually manage to get her up front on turn 1 or turn 2.

Actually I only have 2 Spike Lariat Chesnaughts, so that's why I'm running one of the Spiky Shield ones as well, but it's probably a good ting anyway. I almost never actually play the Spiky Shield version. But it is also good in theory, if you put Bursting Balloons on top of Spiky Shield they take 90 damage for attacking. If you are able to follow-up for 90 on the following turn that'sa KO in most situations. I've never done it, but to stall you could put out Spiky Shield + Bursting Balloon, with no energy on, and if they attack and you have Forest of Giant Plants out, you could then AZ and do it all over again.

I thought about Foretress, but I think Celebi is better, cause you need time to setup anyway, so may as well have her out front. It's not the most competitive deck by any means, but its not bad, and I've beaten Night March, Trev, and Garchomp all with it. As with most Stage 2s that aren't Fighting type (where Korrina makes it easy to Rare Candy) the deck can be clunky and have bad draws. But overall I'd say that Grass Stage 2 is second best way to run Stage 2s behind Fighting, so it's not that bad.

I have only 1 Revitalizer, but it may be worth putting 2 in the deck which could make it faster. I'm running Pokemon Fan Club over Bridget because of Shaymin.

Archived