Staple Trainers line for LEGACY format?

Chasista

Just starting Legacy format I ask myself, what trainers should come with me being the staple ones?

Of course there's a million trainers from CoL and before that I don't know for sure. Lost World (or something like that) was unknown to me since a few days ago. But the format goes up to B/W Plasma that I played when I just started in the game so what about in general, something like:

1 Ace spec

3-4 Juniper

2-3 N

1-2 Colress

2-3 Oak's new theory (too redundant having Juniper?)

1-2 Seeker

2-4 Skyla (No Trainers' mail!)

2-4 Stadiums

Of course depending on the deck. And also probably some Plasma Team tools.

What about Lost remover? Maybe Enhanced hammer is enough...?

And Lost World? Are there a lot of Primes or so sending pokémon to Lost zone?

Lots of Hypno-Lasers? Will I need Full Heals and that kind of cards?

Heard lot of Virizion-Genesect in the format, does they play that HGSS era cards too in the decks?

What other cards from HGSS seems to you becoming staple for any LEGACY deck?

oak is the best supporter in the format, and whether or not you have juniper, i feel you should definitely have 4 oak. shuffle and draw six is just too powerful to ignore.

I wouldn't suggest any full heals, but rather 1-3 switches (for multipurpose action)

also, I feel that lost remover is more useful than enhanced hammer simply because cards cannot be retrieved from the lost zone

seeker- I haven't really found a use for that card, so you might want to pass on that. the odds of it giving you a win aren't worth your deck consistency..

You certainly forgot junk arms I think ! Another of the trainers I feel is random receivers. Helps a lot in supporter less hands :)

Depending on the deck, amount of junk arms shall be used. If you can afford discarding, 3-4 ! If not, 1-2 is fine. (Comes handy late game ! )

Random receivers, I use 2 of them in most decks !!

Couple more staples:

- Ultra Ball/ Dual Ball/ Pokemon Collector/ Level Ball

- Jirachi EX

- Twins

- Smeargle

- Cleffa

- Bicycle (Sort of)

Ghetsis is a great card  - specially ruins your opponent's setup if you get to have the first turn in play;

Virbank City Gym and 4 Hypnotoxic Lasers are a staple, too;

Frozen City as well, since Team Plasma Pokemon are usually the strongest cards in play in Legacy format; 

Interviewer's Questions is great for drawing out Energy, even Special Energy cards like DBC or Prism Energy; and

Prof. Oak's New Theory - in most cases, better than Prof. Juniper in this format, IMO.

oak is the best supporter in the format, and whether or not you have juniper, i feel you should definitely have 4 oak. shuffle and draw six is just too powerful to ignore.

I wouldn't suggest any full heals, but rather 1-3 switches (for multipurpose action)

also, I feel that lost remover is more useful than enhanced hammer simply because cards cannot be retrieved from the lost zone

seeker- I haven't really found a use for that card, so you might want to pass on that. the odds of it giving you a win aren't worth your deck consistency..

Seeker is an awesome healer, and can be a killer tech or a 2-edged sword, depending on what your opponent has on his bench.  If they have a stage 2 and/or tons of energy attached to a single Pokemon, it will serve double for you.

Seeker is an awesome healer, and can be a killer tech or a 2-edged sword, depending on what your opponent has on his bench.  If they have a stage 2 and/or tons of energy attached to a single Pokemon, it will serve double for you.

You don't select the pokemon. The opponent selects the pokemon they want to put back in hand. So it can easily backfire on us, by healing their hurt pokemon.

I do understand the tech perspective, but it seems very situational. For example, your pokemon has to be on the bench already (fairly easy to take care of) but its a supporter and holds very little benefit over max potion.

As for the opponent's pokemon being sent to hand, legacy is a lysandreless format- and as a result you'll see more and more pokemon retreating to the bench (to avoid damage) making it very likely that seeker won't really hurt your opponent after around 2-3 turns of the game.

Seeker sounds only acceptable if the deck is built around it (with cards that does something when they are played).

Skyla is only good with UltraBall + JirachiEX.

The other supporters are straightforward (PONT / Junip / Colress / N) and you're just going to toy with the numbers depending on the deck you're playing.

As for the other trainers, Junk arm, UltraBall (if Jirachi or if the deck need it) and an AceSpecs (most likely CompSearch) are the only staples I can see.

There are plenty of fine ones that a decent amount of deck will play (Tool scrapper, Switch, etc) but they are by no means what one would consider a staple.

Archived