Gonzo's Farewell

GonzoMD1993

Hello everyone,

Not like anyone is gonna care (and I'm sure a few are even rejoicing right now), but I am permanently quitting the PTCGO.

When I joined I was honestly enjoying being here, being a part of the comunity, helping as much as I could and try to help make both the game and the forums a better place. But in the recent times everything seems to have gone sour for me.

I realized a few days ago that with the growing negativity and overall agressive environment that was starting to rise up, I was starting to get more emotionally invested in this than what could be called sane. It started to affect me irl; there were days where I would honestly walk away from my computer after a heated debate (for which I am to blame as much, or perhaps even more, as the other people in the discussion, but that's besides the point now) and I would still be salty af. It started to even affect the efficiency of my studies, at which point I drew the line and decided to take a break.

If right now you're thinking that the internet is not for an oversensitive person like me... you'd be totally right. This place just isn't for me after all. This is one of the reasons why I'm quitting.

After a few days of staying away from my computer as much as humanly possible, I realized that I was feeling calm again and that my studies had improved. After giving it a long, hard thought, I decided that it was for the best that I didn't return.

I have only been here for less than 6 months, but I have been extremely active, because for the majority of those 6 months I was really enjoying the game and what I was doing.

But in my last few days here I was just getting more and more sour, and it doesn't look like the negativity is going anywhere. You can blame whoever you see fit, be it the staff for "not listening", the community for "complaining too much", or me for being oversensitive and blowing everything out of proportions. But regardless of the cause, I have already taken the desicion, and this time I do not intend on coming back. I have only come back right now to make this post to say a last few words.

EDIT: Chickenman offered to distribute my collection, so he'll take care of it. Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it. 

I think is a good time to say as well that although I didn't mention all of my friends in the post below (where I only mentioned a couple of specific people), I really did enjoy my time with every one of you, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Of course, that goes to you too Chickenman :) I don't think we ever got to play besides that one time were we tested my Archie's M Gyarados deck idea, but it was a fun match and I really enjoyed my conversations with you here in the forums

EDIT: Refer to the point above.

First of all, I would like to ask one last favor. My collection may not be to large, but I'd feel bad taking the ball and going home. I'm fine with the going home part, but I'd rather leave the ball behind for the others to use.

I want to distribut my small collection among the comunity. If anyone could take up the task of receiving it and distributing it, like it was the case with _Felidae not so long ago, I would really appreciate it.

I'll stick around for a bit longer to monitor this thread and get that task done. But once that's done, I'm gone for good.

To awesome_guy, LordKieta and PnP:

I'm really sorry that I'm suddenly leaving like this. I don't think I was officially part of the VCTC for more than a week, but I'm happy to have had that honor. Thank you for your kindness and for having me for the short time I spent here.

To seminc:

seminc, man, if there is one thing that I'll really miss is getting to talk to you. You're an amazing guy and I'm glad to have met you here, even if the experience was short lived and I didn't get to know you much personally. I wish you the best of luck. Being one of this community's most active members I'm sure you'll be able to influence it and lead it in the right direction. May you have a tougher skin than me so you don't die half-way through and quit.

To Yoni:

I'm sorry man, I'm a terrible person for making a promise I couldn't keep. Back when we spoke I thought I was going to be sticking around for a while more, but soon after my real life problems caught up to me, and with the growing negative atmosphere stacking on top, I just couldn't stay around anyomore. I intended to return because from the bottom of my heart I wanted to stay and help the community grow. But in the end that won't be possible. I'll end up going insane before I can manage to make any changes, so I've decided to quit before I lose my sanity. 

Despite my complaints about the negativity, there are still a lot of players here who are very kind and very much willing to help and play with anyone. I wish you luck finding a new partner to play.

I don't have much else to say at this point. I thought of blaming the excessive negativity or saying something like "the haters ruined the game" and blahblahblah, but the truth of it all is that I just didn't want to be here anymore.

I'm a little bit over a month into my first year of Med school, and now I realize that I severely underestimated the difficulty level. I can't afford to lose my focus anymore, much less spend a day worried and salty about a flamewar I started on some online forum. In the end it's my own fault for not managing things correctly. A different person may have been able to play 1 or 2 games every now and then and not give a **** about the forums, but I can't, and I've already proved that to myself several times in the last couple of weeks.

So long PTCGO. It was fun while it lasted, and now it's time to leave.

PS. The forum doesn't censor the f word... go figure that one out. You might wanna patch that one soon if you don't wanna go around manually censoring it every time someone uses it. I'm gonna bleep it out myself (because I can't be bothered to think of a different word right now but I know what you guys thing about it, so at the very least I should bleep it out) but you should really fix that.

Aw man :/ , I haven't been in the forums for long, but I can already tell this is a huge loss to the community. Wish you the best of luck IRL Gonzo.

I can say you will be missed very much.. As shown by your reputation (which I believe to be the highest ever, despite you only being here 6 months), you were looked to for reasonable and logical advice by basically everyone who posted here. I have been playing the game for years and had come to respect you as a veteran. 

So, from most likely about 99% of the community, thank you for your contribution, and good luck in real life :) 

:'( i know i haven't been on here long posting but i could definitely tell you were a big part of this community thank you for everything you have done sir, and best of luck in life.

You will be missed, Gonzo! Your posts were always interesting and helpful, and everybody knew it.

I'm sorry for any of that negativity that may have come from me.

hey man, i'm super sorry to see you go.. and you don't have to apologize! your life and education is far more important than our friendship, and i hope you can sort the stuff out in real life :)

and i hope everything works out just fine

hopefully people do realize what they're losing out when a nice player like you leaves the forums and try to reform for the better :)

Man the forums wont be the same without you ever! I hope that there is someone that can fill the shoes of a legendary community member such as yourself.

I wish you the best of luck for your life and the future!!! :D

And never forget man, Gotta catch em all :D :)

i find that really sad for the forum and for you... honestly , a idea i could give you is to play more in the game and don't look much on forum.. think about it , i find that really sad to lost a person like you..

good luck with everything, i wish all the best for you.

Sad to see you go man! We were only friends for a short while but your help all over the forums was exceedingly valuable to the countless questions and advice asked! Quite sad that you have to quit because of all the complaints about the game calling it "rigged" but nevertheless, I regret having to see you leave :(

Apart from my original "NUUUUUU", I also must say that I will greatly miss being ninja'd by gonzo. So many fun times.

Also wanna say thanks for the game as well! Kinda wish we coulda talked a bit more but you know, life is life unfortunately. :( Sincerely hope that your studies go well and must apologize for keeping you from your studies(as I probably did the numerous times when I quoted you lol). -_-

Yes I will be dispersing his collection to people over time, more details to come.

^^ hopefully, censored it in the sentence :huh:

i find that really sad for the forum and for you... honestly , a idea i could give you is to play more in the game and don't look much on forum.. think about it , i find that really sad to lost a person like you..

I agree to this. I had quit from the forums around 4-5 months ago as well. A similar situation had come, where no one was to be blamed. Of course, if it is ruining your education, I say, don't even care to monitor this thread. No one is gonna ask you how good you were in this game. But everyone will surely look how you are IRL. So if this game is taking your efficiency, LEAVE IT !!

But if it doesn't, leave the forums. Enjoy the game ;) (we are only here to entertain ourselves)

Nonetheless, I hope you look at your decision after this post once.

Whatever be your decision, My best wishes are with you. Hope you keep going ahead and be successful IRL.

Best wishes, may god bless you :)

(Will miss you though, But I understand the feeling, so stopping would be trying to pull you from the IRL success waiting for you. --> Keep going, remain happy forever :) )

You were one of the best people on this forum, and each day I would always look forward to any posts you made. Godspeed, and I hope you have a great time off this forum.

Hello everyone,

Not like anyone is gonna care (and I'm sure a few are even rejoicing right now), but I am permanently quitting the PTCGO.

The irony is that in less than one day 15 people have replied to your leave to this game. 

I agree to this. I had quit from the forums around 4-5 months ago as well. A similar situation had come, where no one was to be blamed. Of course, if it is ruining your education, I say, don't even care to monitor this thread. No one is gonna ask you how good you were in this game. But everyone will surely look how you are IRL. So if this game is taking your efficiency, LEAVE IT !!

But if it doesn't, leave the forums. Enjoy the game ;) (we are only here to entertain ourselves)

Whatever be your decision, My best wishes are with you. Hope you keep going ahead and be successful IRL.

Best wishes, may god bless you :)

(Will miss you though, But I understand the feeling, so stopping would be trying to pull you from the IRL success waiting for you. --> Keep going, remain happy forever :) )

+1 this, if you can Gonzo, please reconsider joining the game and maybe avoiding the forums :)

I'm honestly touched. Your kind words make me really happy, and sad at the same time that I will be leaving you all. I have meditated this desicion for very long over the past few days.

When I decided to take a break a few days ago I thought of just quitting right away, but I wasn't thinking clearly and thought it would be a rushed desicion. But after a few days and analyzing my current situation (in reagrds to everything, including the workload from college as well as my current animic situation) I felt that it was for the best.

I thought of just playing and forgetting about the forums, but I just couldn't concieve the idea of being in the game without being in here. To me they were one and the same thing, and I honestly spent more time here than actually playing. I tried to do it, but as I thought it was impossible for me. If I ever do return, it could be several years into the future, and I'm not certain of that either.

I'll be quoting a bunch of stuff so I'll probably need a second post, for the second and last time, and thankfully for a more positive post this time (I can only quote up to 8-9 different things at a time or the forum doesn't let the post through).

Aw man :/ , I haven't been in the forums for long, but I can already tell this is a huge loss to the community. Wish you the best of luck IRL Gonzo.

Thank you man. I'm really sorry to be leaving like this. There is a long story behind this desicion, including the ones I stated above, and I really do regret that the only reasonable choice I have left is to leave. Thank you for your wishes :)

I can say you will be missed very much.. As shown by your reputation (which I believe to be the highest ever, despite you only being here 6 months), you were looked to for reasonable and logical advice by basically everyone who posted here. I have been playing the game for years and had come to respect you as a veteran. 

So, from most likely about 99% of the community, thank you for your contribution, and good luck in real life :)

Dang I really did have the highest forum reputation xd I'm honored that the community would have come to see me in such a light in the short time I spent here, and I really appreciate your kind words.

Beyond the sadness of leaving, I'm really happy to have left behind such a contribution to the community. Thank you for your wishes as well. Now that I'll be dedicating myself 100% to studying, I will redouble my efforts to become the best dang doctor this world has ever seen :)

:'( i know i haven't been on here long posting but i could definitely tell you were a big part of this community thank you for everything you have done sir, and best of luck in life.

Thank you man :) I'm glad to have been of service while I was here. Although I'll now be gone, I'll never forget the time I spent here and the people I befriended. Than you for your wishes, and I'll do my best irl.

NUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apart from my original "NUUUUUU", I also must say that I will greatly miss being ninja'd by gonzo. So many fun times.

Also wanna say thanks for the game as well! Kinda wish we coulda talked a bit more but you know, life is life unfortunately. :( Sincerely hope that your studies go well and must apologize for keeping you from your studies(as I probably did the numerous times when I quoted you lol). -_-

Yes I will be dispersing his collection to people over time, more details to come.

^^ hopefully, censored it in the sentence :huh:

Oh don't worry about it Chickenman, I loved responding to your posts as well (and going ninja a few times when I got the chance xd), so if I ever got distracted from studying because of it it's all good xd

Thank you for your kind words and for the time we spent together here on the forums, and many thanks for receiving my entire collection to spread it among the community.

Best of luck, hopefully we'll see a decline in the pointless arguments.

Not sure how to interpret that second part, but thank you for wishing me good luck :)

I'll be posting another one as soon as the 120 second timer runs out xd I really can't quote that many things or the forum rejects the post, so I'm cutting it off here and continuing in the next one.

You will be missed, Gonzo! Your posts were always interesting and helpful, and everybody knew it.

I'm sorry for any of that negativity that may have come from me.

Don't worry about it PK, we've all had our moments were we just aren't feeling all that optimistic, and I've been there as well. All in all I'd say you have a possitive attitude and a willingness to give a fair assesment of things given enough time.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed my posts, and thank you for comming here to see me off. I'll miss you guys too.

Unfortunate to see one of the few rational voices here leave.

I must unfortunatly agree that there were a lot of people who were a tad too trigger happy to judge. I tried my best at being rational and talking things through to a rational conclusion, but sometimes it was just not possible, and a few others I got a little to caught up in the heat and ended up saying things that I probably shouldn't have.

I didn't see you around too much Mekkah, but when I did I usually always agreed with anything you said. I wish you luck, and hopefully the comunity will have a more positive outlook in the future.

hey man, i'm super sorry to see you go.. and you don't have to apologize! your life and education is far more important than our friendship, and i hope you can sort the stuff out in real life  :)

and i hope everything works out just fine

hopefully people do realize what they're losing out when a nice player like you leaves the forums and try to reform for the better  :)

I'm truly sad that it must be this way, but at the same time I'm grateful for the time I got to spend here with you and everyone else. awesome_guy, you really do make justice to your name. You're an awesome person and I'm glad to know that the community will still have you around. Thank you once more for your kindness and for all the help I recieved from you and the VCTC in my time here.

Man the forums wont be the same without you ever! I hope that there is someone that can fill the shoes of a legendary community member such as yourself.

I wish you the best of luck for your life and the future!!!  :D

And never forget man, Gotta catch em all  :D  :)

Aww thanks a lot man. I'm really happy to hear that my contribution to the community has been such that I would deserve the title of legendary. I'm really happy to have been here and many thanks for your wishes and kind words :)

And don't worry, no matter where I am or how much time has passed, there will always be a special place for Pokemon in my heart.

Yes, I'm very sad about leaving too. Even though I took the desicion myself, and the end of the road I'm still sad to be leaving, but after much meditating and pondering I have come to the conclusion that this is necesary for me and my life.

I'm glad for the time I spend here, and with that thought in mind, I think I can leave in peace. Thank you for your wishes Jigglypuffan :)

Farewell for the real life and thz for your help here.

Thank you man :) I'm happy to have helped here, and I wish you all the best of luck as well.

Sad to see you go man! We were only friends for a short while but your help all over the forums was exceedingly valuable to the countless questions and advice asked! Quite sad that you have to quit because of all the complaints about the game calling it "rigged" but nevertheless, I regret having to see you leave  :(

I'm sorry man. I'm really sad that this is how it must end, but I really don't have much of a better choice. It's true that the increasing negativity influenced this desicion heavily, but probably the bigger reason was that now I really do need to dedicate most of my time to studying. I came to care too deeply for the community and its state, which wouldn't be a bad thing normally, but the fact that I kept worrying about it every day after logging off was something that just couldn't be. I was honestly starting to get distracted from my studies, and that was the one thing I just couldn't allow no matter what the cost was.

Regardless, I am very happy with the time I got to spend here and with the people I met. Ditto with Chickenman's case, I wish I would have gotten to play more than just one game with you xd But it was a very pleasant surprise to find you playing in a random VS game, and I very much enjoyed our little chat.

The irony is that in less than one day 15 people have replied to your leave to this game. 

+1 this, if you can Gonzo, please reconsider joining the game and maybe avoiding the forums  :)

I suppose I may have underestimated myself xd Tbh I was feeling really down when I posted the original post, so I figured no one would care, and that some would even be happy to not have me around saying that they're wrong at every corner.

And I'm extremely happy to see you guys proving me wrong with this one, showing your support and care all the way through the end.

To me, this community was as real as any other community irl, with many people who are truly kind from the bottom of their hearts, who help each other everywhere they can and who share a passion that has brought them together. One thing I just couldn't (and will never) accept is for people to try do dehumanize it because it's an online forum. Behind every avatar and ever screen there is a real person, which seems self evident but it can be really easy to forget at times.

The fact that you are all here to see me off proves to me that my idea of the community wasn't that unrealistic after all, and for that, I am truly grateful

Thanks for comming here to say good bye and to wish me luck TreTor, and for trying to convince me of staying (although it won't be possible for the reasons stated above, I really appreciate the thought).

Godspeed, Gonzo.

Farewell, Deja, my friend. It was a pleasure to have been here with you. May our paths cross again some day.

But if it doesn't, leave the forums. Enjoy the game  ;) (we are only here to entertain ourselves)

Best wishes, may god bless you  :)

(Will miss you though, But I understand the feeling, so stopping would be trying to pull you from the IRL success waiting for you. --> Keep going, remain happy forever  :) )

Despite being firm on my desicion of leaving, I truly do appreciate that you would attempt to convince me of staying, and the feeling was not lost on me.

I really liked the game, like I've said several times in the past, but I think that more than anything I liked the comunity and hanging around here. The times we talked, discussed strategy and meta, made some small talk or shared some friendly banter; those were the things that really kept me sticking around here even though my time irl was getting tighter and tighter. And even now, that feeling hasn't changed. However, I got attached to this place and its people too much, and I think that for me to play the game but not come to the forums would be too painful.

Harshu, I'm glad to have gotten the chance to talk with you and to have been in this game with you. It really was fun while it lasted. I promise you that I will remain as a happy man for the rest of my days, and thank you for your kind words :)

You were one of the best people on this forum, and each day I would always look forward to any posts you made. Godspeed, and I hope you have a great time off this forum.

Goodbye, Inferno. Hearing you say that makes me really happy, and I'm glad I got the chance to talk with you and share with you in the forums. I only regret that I never got to play a match against you xd But it's too late for regrets now. I'm going out with my head up, proud of having been one of the members of this comunuty. Thank you man, I wish you the best of luck as well.

The last time I will ever have the honor of quoting you.

The world needs more people like you. Go save lives. That tops Pokemon  :)

Many thanks man, it makes me really happy to read that :) I certainly will. I still have a long road in front of me, but I most certainly will do my best to help all the people I can.

Beyond the sadness of leaving, I'm really happy to have left behind such a contribution to the community. Thank you for your wishes as well. Now that I'll be dedicating myself 100% to studying, I will redouble my efforts to become the best dang doctor this world has ever seen :)

The last time I will ever have the honor of quoting you.

The world needs more people like you. Go save lives. That tops Pokemon :)

Well, I think I've said enough. Chickenman has received the entirety of my collection, which is now getting offered as a reward for Chickenman's HGSS Tournament (you guys can go check it out in the PvP forum.

Guys, everyone, this is the last thing I will ever post here, so I'll just say one last thing real quick before I start tearing up...

I am truly happy and greatful for the time I spent here. It was a honor to share with all of you, and to have been participating of the forum discussions in the last 6 months. It is time for me to move on and focus on my career, but I will never forget my time here, nor the people that I shared with.

Sadly, and perhaps even ironically, my people don't have a saying for this kind of situation (or if they do, it's really archaic and I've never heard of it), so I'll just make up my own:

"Fue un honor, caballeros. Fue una trememnda alegria compartir con ustedes, y les deseo la mejor de las suertes. Si Dios quiere, nos volveremos a ver algún dia. Cuidense mucho, y que Dios los bendiga a todos"

-Gonzalo "Gonzo" Mardones

Remember some weeks ago i got upset for the lack of fair play, so to speak, and decided to quit? Well, few days latter, maybe a week, i came back, playing much less each day (i had already abandoned the forums months ago). Today i came back to the forums to check that said thread and i saw THIS! So i haven't yet checked it cause your farewell caught my attention.

Now, i feel like crying watching you leave, because although we almost never spoke, i read you a lot of times and realized the kinda person you are. People like you shouldn't be here, but outdoors discussing ideas and giving a 'real' contribute to society. I like the way you make your points or discuss a thread. You're intelligent!

I wish you all the best, and though im not religious, vaya con dios!!!

Plus, one of your replies to this said topic of mine really helped me IRL, as it gave me another perspective towards people in general (i was going through a rough phase, and still am, and part of it is hating most unethical people around me virtually or IRL). For that, i am forever thankful to you! Go live your life and prosper throughout the way!

Archived