rng needs fixed

Xensor

ok so lately all i been getting is shaymins left and right. nothing else for pokemon. 15 games in a row. thats not even possible considering i have 3 of mewtwos, or 3 toads, or 4 toads. i always start with 1 or 2 shaymins and thats it.

this game gets worse with the dealing then it should be. every update they fix bugs but not the real bugs. when allot of ppl have complained about the rng, they ignore us and say nothing is wrong with it. there is something wrong with it. in real life there is not a 75% of getting one certain pokemon in 15 games in a row.

i even edited a deck and added more poke so the possibilities of getting shaymin would be a 2%. well guess what it found a way to start off with shaymins.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this game is making it more and more less fun. its getting boring due to how it matches are done. its getting boring to even try anymore.

yea 50 games to get 10 points 200 to get 20. 300 and so and so to get points is annoying. i am sorry this is not a challenge. this is outrages. the game is so broken its barely playable.

30 times in a row tails. yea sure. good luck with that realistic.

Bruh, imo you should build a single that deck that has:

- No shaymins, no hoopas. Every mon you have you're ok leading with it.

- No coin fliping. Seriously, the only coin flip you do is the initial to pick who goes 1st.

And this should be the deck that you should use when you're frustrated at the rng. Just to blow some steam.

I did a final study and actually nothing is wrong with Coin flips. Today to finish the 100 heads challenge, I made a malamar deck with trick coin and found a player in VS mode who could help me.

When I attacked. To my surprise, the coin wasn't random, rather it was made to get 50% probability. First I got 7 heads in a row, 5 tails in a row and at the end, same number of heads and tails (19 heads and 19 tails) - I flipped again with trick coin --> got 20 heads and 18 tails. Its not rigged. It always gets you to 50% probability !!

So after this study. I can say atleast coin flips are not rigged !!

I also did the same at my house. And to my suprise, I did get a 6 head streak once and a 4 tail streak 3 times.

So its possible and hence, coin flips are not bad, they obey the law of probability.

That concludes my studies :)

I haven't tested the draws yet :)

Actually, I'd LOVE to see that data.  It lends a LOT of credence to my personal working theory about the RNG - it is FAIR (i.e. it is roughly 50-50 heads and tails) but it is not RANDOM (i.e. -it is prone to long runs of the same output if you have a batch input like Malgamar's coin flip attack).  

For instance, if you flip a coin six times in one attack 100 times, in only 1-2 of those instances should you get 6 heads in a row.  4 tail flip streaks should occur 3 times if you had ~50 four flip.  

My guess is that, if you needed 100 flips to get your reward, and if you averaged ~5 flips per attack, you had only 20 attacks.  If that is the case, the long runs you indicated are occurring at ~3X the expected rate - well outside the normal range.  It is at least one data set that would indicate non-independent events in batch coin flips.

If anyone else is keeping track during this study, let me know!

Actually, I'd LOVE to see that data.  It lends a LOT of credence to my personal working theory about the RNG - it is FAIR (i.e. it is roughly 50-50 heads and tails) but it is not RANDOM (i.e. -it is prone to long runs of the same output if you have a batch input like Malgamar's coin flip attack).  

For instance, if you flip a coin six times in one attack 100 times, in only 1-2 of those instances should you get 6 heads in a row.  4 tail flip streaks should occur 3 times if you had ~50 four flip.  

My guess is that, if you needed 100 flips to get your reward, and if you averaged ~5 flips per attack, you had only 20 attacks.  If that is the case, the long runs you indicated are occurring at ~3X the expected rate - well outside the normal range.  It is at least one data set that would indicate non-independent events in batch coin flips.

If anyone else is keeping track during this study, let me know!

I think I will make a new thread for the statistics on draws and flips all together. its taking along time to do both, but I will try to do as soon as possible :)

shaymin start = broken rng?

Pmsl

not just that. shaymin jirachi. 15 in a row. not possible. thats the only thing. i mostly got the same hand every game

In the last 10-20 games I've played, I've gotten Wob's in my first hand about 75% of the time. I have 3 of them and 4 phantumps. I just figure it's been bad luck, but it's incredibly frustrating.

In the last 10-20 games I've played, I've gotten Wob's in my first hand about 75% of the time. I have 3 of them and 4 phantumps. I just figure it's been bad luck, but it's incredibly frustrating.

I think I will test the draw engine of IRL and RNG now, this shall be solved or studied ASAP, big problem it seems !

Doing a real deck comparison to an online deck isn't meaningful - both are random draws with (theoretically) the same odds. You need to see if the results deviate from their expected value by an excessive amount.

For instance, if you have 7 basics, 3 bad and 4 good to start, you would EXPECT to start with on of the bad pokemon about 7-9 times out of every 20 games. If you start with it 14 times that is some poor luck, but there is a good chance the sample size isn't large enough to be statistically significant.

If you played 100 games and had the same ratio? Good chance something is up.

More likely? The bad draws probably annoy you more than the good draws please you, so they feel like they happen more than they do.

Then again, I'll be the first to admit that I feel like I go on "strings" of the same draw. It's to the point where I'll often play a match or two in versus first so I have an idea what to expect when I join a tournament.....

yea well lately this game been making me waste tickets in tournments due to the rng. its that bad. i normally can get good hands. not lately.

yea well lately this game been making me waste tickets in tournments due to the rng. its that bad. i normally can get good hands. not lately.

Strange..... I have the same problem. Keep getting garbage hands in tourneys and making me lose in round 1. This is getting really annoying.....

I tried to stay away from tourneys but the wheel keeps pouring out tickets like a waterfall so I decided to participate. Haven't had much luck so far...

normally with my tournment deck i would atleast get somewhat good hand. something i could make do with. but lately no.

I participated in 5 theme tourneys today. 2 resulted in round 1 loses. 1 resulted in a round 2 loss and I won the other two. For some strange reason I get way too much energy and trashy basics in most of the matches and most of my wins are thanks to my opponents having even worse luck than I am (which is common enough. Before this I never had such unplayable hands.

It's not all bad luck though. In one last round I start with weak basics and way too much energy (with a letter as an added insult). I was using XY basic green while the other guy used XY basic blue. I franctically tried to draw something good with Collect but all I get are more weak basics and energy. Things were looking really grim as my opponent got out Articuno, evolve a Spheal and used Find Ice. Then the lord and savior of PTCG (Sycamore) arrived (and I drew a VS seeker with him). The rest was history :)

So maybe the RNG isn't always that bad. It's just that when it decides to get bad, it tends to get really obnoxious XD

Doing a real deck comparison to an online deck isn't meaningful - both are random draws with (theoretically) the same odds. You need to see if the results deviate from their expected value by an excessive amount.

For instance, if you have 7 basics, 3 bad and 4 good to start, you would EXPECT to start with on of the bad pokemon about 7-9 times out of every 20 games. If you start with it 14 times that is some poor luck, but there is a good chance the sample size isn't large enough to be statistically significant.

If you played 100 games and had the same ratio? Good chance something is up.

More likely? The bad draws probably annoy you more than the good draws please you, so they feel like they happen more than they do.

Then again, I'll be the first to admit that I feel like I go on "strings" of the same draw. It's to the point where I'll often play a match or two in versus first so I have an idea what to expect when I join a tournament.....

This is why I hadn't specifically reported it. If it continues to be an issue, I'll probably do sample draws to figure out what's up.

I had 4 games last night with EVERY SINGLE ENERGY card at the bottom of my deck - no matter how many Juniper/Sycamore/Birch I used; I even went so far as to deck myself out on purpose to see that, yes, all of my energy was being shuffled and re-shuffled back to the bottom of my deck.

I'd like to know if there's not some sort of weighted average type system in place that is enfeebling the 'Randomness' of the RNG against players of the PTCGO that fall under some random status as chosen by the game developers.

The nature of simulated RNG is such that it often can feel pretty bad, but is still close enough to natural RNG that you really can't get an actual pattern.

There's no reason to believe the developers would make a system to try and get players to lose. The only question is: did they make a recent change to that system? If the answer is yes, maybe that change didn't work exactly as they intended. If the answer is no, well, we're human, so we're prone to seeing patterns that don't exist.

still dont get how i get a shaymin or jirachi when i have 3 mewtwo or 2 kyurem or 2 mew or 4 mewtwo. its always shaymins or jirachis

and always tails

There's no reason to believe the developers would make a system to try and get players to lose. The only question is: did they make a recent change to that system? If the answer is yes, maybe that change didn't work exactly as they intended.

It's not unheard of in games with a 'random' factor to be affected by a host of other stats to modify the random number generator code to make it 'feel' more random - more complex RNGs could sample anything from the in-game timer to even the spelling of your screen name. I'd love to look at the RNG code to see what it samples to determine the number generated - but the devs would never release such game breaking information.

Maybe someone could develop a Unity tool to run along side PTCGO just to sniff and extract data? That'd provide FAR better data than random tracking of coin flips, draws, etc.

Archived