The inability to redeem codes on Ipad really stinks!

justformykids

So I don't redeem codes often, but losing the ability to do so from the Ipad is really obnoxious.  The only system I own that has a ptcgo client is my ipad.  My only other computer access is through my work computer and my cell phone, neither of which will be getting a game client download any time soon.  I understand that Apple forced Pokemon's hand here, but I really wish they had provided alternate means for redeeming them.  

My suggestion:  Can't you make it possible for me to redeem codes from my account HERE in the forums?  Clearly the accounts have some interactivity - my user name and avatar come across and the avatar changes whenever my kids change it on the server.  If it is capable of that sort of communication, it ought to be capable of validating a code and then informing my game client.  That way I can still use an Ipad, just through my web browser.  Is that possible?

Why can't we redeem them anymore? I just thought it was because of the new update.

For whatever reason Apple demanded the feature to be taken down. They didn't even give the PTCGO devs enough time to implement an alternative method. They'll probably come up with something in due time. My guess is that they'll have to include some way of redeeming codes through the website, since making an app would imply going through the App Store. Sadly, until that happens, your only choice is to redeem codes from a computer.

So I don't redeem codes often, but losing the ability to do so from the Ipad is really obnoxious.  The only system I own that has a ptcgo client is my ipad.  My only other computer access is through my work computer and my cell phone, neither of which will be getting a game client download any time soon.  I understand that Apple forced Pokemon's hand here, but I really wish they had provided alternate means for redeeming them.  

My suggestion:  Can't you make it possible for me to redeem codes from my account HERE in the forums?  Clearly the accounts have some interactivity - my user name and avatar come across and the avatar changes whenever my kids change it on the server.  If it is capable of that sort of communication, it ought to be capable of validating a code and then informing my game client.  That way I can still use an Ipad, just through my web browser.  Is that possible?

It would have been NICE to be notified of this issue BEFORE HAND. Seems like they are Trying to reduce number of player on game?? Redeeming codes is the ONLY WAY to add to your deck and TRADE with others. And like U I also can ONLY play on my IPad. Hope they do something quick about it... Here Hoping

For whatever reason Apple demanded the feature to be taken down. They didn't even give the PTCGO devs enough time to implement an alternative method. They'll probably come up with something in due time. My guess is that they'll have to include some way of redeeming codes through the website, since making an app would imply going through the App Store. Sadly, until that happens, your only choice is to redeem codes from a computer.

Wow, that stinks. It seems like Apple is cracking down harder on some apps now a days. Alright, thank you so much for letting me know!

As much as I understand why people dislike the new update, I think this issue is one where the devs did no wrong. As I understand it (and I could be wrong, certainly wouldn't be the first time) Apple (#PCMasterRace) essentially forced Pokemon to remove the feature allowing codes to be redeemed on Apple products, without first allotting them enough time to come up with another way for mac users to redeem their codes. I'm pretty sure Pokemon is as frustrated about this one as the rest of us. So, for once I actually feel for the mods.

I wish this was explained in the patch notes. I saw that the button was greyed out and thought there was something wrong with my account.

But yeah, it isn't the devs' fault. Apple pulled the same stunt with Puzzles and Dragons a few months ago, and players had 3 days warning before their serial codes were rendered unusable forever. :(

I'm not blaming the devs here either.  However, I would REALLY like a work around.  Being able to redeem codes from my profile on the website seems like a reasonable compromise.  Hopefully that is an option in the future.

• 4 months later...

Being that it's now Aug. and we still don't have a way to redeem our codes. Can we please get a fix for this problem very soon?

I'd like to re-iterate - if they had a way to redeem codes from the web page, (not the ap) that would circumvent the Apple rules quite nicely.  And we already have trainer accounts linked to both a web page (THIS ONE!) and the ap....

I'd like to re-iterate - if they had a way to redeem codes from the web page, (not the ap) that would circumvent the Apple rules quite nicely. And we already have trainer accounts linked to both a web page (THIS ONE!) and the ap....

I'm not one of the devs, but I imagine the "API" necessary for browser-based code redemption could be vulnerable to people trying to redeem generated codes hoping to find some that work.

I'm not either.  I get it.  It seems like there could be simple measures that would prevent that, though.  Any hack that requires brute strength to execute could be stopped the way they do passwords - 3-5 wrong answers and your account is locked out of redeeming codes for X number of days, etc.  

I'm not an expert.  And I understand why they yanked the redemption from the IPAD products.  But it feels like there should be a work around that would be viable for people who only have the game loaded on IPAD and not on any other products.  

Archived