Worst Luck in-game ever?

ImanRawker

I've started this because of the pain I feel and for some other players too. It's really getting out of hand nowadays. I don't know if it's just my bad luck or something is up with the system algorithms.

1st issue: Coin flip

It's not 50% chance of getting head or tails. It's more like 10% heads and 90% tails. ("-_-)

2nd issue: Card draw

Even with a third of my deck is filled with Pokemon or energy cards which I needed, they are never drawn properly. It's like the deck wasn't even shuffled. For instance, my hand will be full of Pokemon cards and no energy 30% of the time. Another would be I've drawn no Pokemon and all energy cards instead.

This issues just doesn't happen once or twice. It happens to me like at least 5 matches in a row and it's really frustrating.

So I'm wondering, who else is having this kind of issues? Could this be something worth talking about guys?

I've started this because of the pain I feel and for some other players too. It's really getting out of hand nowadays. I don't know if it's just my bad luck or something is up with the system algorithms.

It's not 50% chance of getting head or tails. It's more like 10% heads and 90% tails. ("-_-)

Even with a third of my deck is filled with Pokemon or energy cards which I needed, they are never drawn properly. It's like the deck wasn't even shuffled. For instance, my hand will be full of Pokemon cards and no energy 30% of the time. Another would be I've drawn no Pokemon and all energy cards instead.

This issues just doesn't happen once or twice. It happens to me like at least 5 matches in a row and it's really frustrating.

So I'm wondering, who else is having this kind of issues? Could this be something worth talking about guys?

Of course its worth talking about. This same issue has been talked over various thread that report this issue. Some players agree that the mechanism is broken, some say its a possibility and its not broken. But until any tests on the coil flip and Drawing cards with statistics, and comparison with the law of probability, supported by the percentage of deviation of expected and experimental values being more than 20% should be enough to say that the mechanism is broken. For this a large number of experiments on coin flip and card draws have to be done. I tried doing a test over 100 coin flips, but its a very small value. So I will be posting the statistics soon myself and hence the results and conclusions of that test must reveal if this mechanism is really wrong, or it obeys the law of probability which accounts for getting 100 tails in a row --> IS POSSIBLE !! ( very small amount of possibility, but it can happen).

Have a nice day :)

Worst luck in-game ever?

I lost when my 70-HP Litleo got knocked out by opponent's Muscle-banded Magikarp lucky Epic Splash on his first turn. And I had a Pyroar in hand to evolve next turn. That was pretty unlucky for me, lol.

Worst luck in-game ever?

I lost when my 70-HP Litleo got knocked out by opponent's Muscle-banded Magikarp lucky Epic Splash on his first turn. And I had a Pyroar in hand to evolve next turn. That was pretty unlucky for me, lol.

Touché.

Worst luck in-game ever?

Forgive me for say this but that was a pretty "epic" fail for you :P

Forgive me for say this but that was a pretty "epic" fail for you :P

I think you messed up this post. Surely you meant to say "RIP", right?  ;)

My suggestion is run fewer flipping pokemon(It is worse with pokemon then trainers for me) and run more draw support so you can get those energies when you need them. And as for energy count, you can usually get away with 8-9ish energies and plenty of draw support. Most of the time you want at least half of your deck to be trainers, about 10-15 for energy, and 10-15 pokemon, and fill the rest with trainers. :P

Worst luck in-game ever?

I usually get those on a winning streak.. Magikarp muscle band.. and 2 heads lol

I played 2 games last night with the XY blue, both games I got Walrein through luck..

There is something, I'm sure of it, regarding luck in wins/loss streaks.

Of course its worth talking about. This same issue has been talked over various thread that report this issue. Some players agree that the mechanism is broken, some say its a possibility and its not broken. But until any tests on the coil flip and Drawing cards with statistics, and comparison with the law of probability, supported by the percentage of deviation of expected and experimental values being more than 20% should be enough to say that the mechanism is broken. For this a large number of experiments on coin flip and card draws have to be done. I tried doing a test over 100 coin flips, but its a very small value. So I will be posting the statistics soon myself and hence the results and conclusions of that test must reveal if this mechanism is really wrong, or it obeys the law of probability which accounts for getting 100 tails in a row --> IS POSSIBLE !! ( very small amount of possibility, but it can happen).

Have a nice day :)

My suggestion is run fewer flipping pokemon(It is worse with pokemon then trainers for me) and run more draw support so you can get those energies when you need them. And as for energy count, you can usually get away with 8-9ish energies and plenty of draw support. Most of the time you want at least half of your deck to be trainers, about 10-15 for energy, and 10-15 pokemon, and fill the rest with trainers. :P

These two basically summed up everything I was thinking. Having coin flips be random does not, by any means, mean that you will get half heads and half tails. Or that half of the flips will be in our favor. It means that it is completely random, and that one flip does not in any way affect the result of the next. If you just can't stand the constant bad luck you seem to have, take chickenman's suggestion and simply don't run things that require flips. There are plenty of other things you can use :)

The current conclusion I've arrived to is that the RNG is not "broken" in the sense that there isn't any major flaw in the RNG algorithm (I don't have enough of an understanding of programming to confirm that, or even access to the RNG algorithm in the first place; I'm just basic myself on the fact that in the long run, the coin flips tend to an even spread). However, due to the nature of the RNG, it's possible that consecutive foin flips (or at least coin flips within a same game or with otherwise several factors that connect them in some way or form) are not completely independant, and it's entirely possible that in the short run you will experience streaks of either good or bad luck that from a statistic point of view is highly improbable.

As for the card shuffling, I haven't done enough testing since the mechanic is more complex than coin flips, and the results cannot be described as a simple "heads/tails" spread. Someday I'll get around to testing that, but I get the impression (although again, this isn't necessarily true) that it has a problem similar to the coin flips.

The current conclusion I've arrived to is that the RNG is not "broken" in the sense that there isn't any major flaw in the RNG algorithm (I don't have enough of an understanding of programming to confirm that, or even access to the RNG algorithm in the first place; I'm just basic myself on the fact that in the long run, the coin flips tend to an even spread). However, due to the nature of the RNG, it's possible that consecutive foin flips (or at least coin flips within a same game or with otherwise several factors that connect them in some way or form) are not completely independant, and it's entirely possible that in the short run you will experience streaks of either good or bad luck that from a statistic point of view is highly improbable.

As for the card shuffling, I haven't done enough testing since the mechanic is more complex than coin flips, and the results cannot be described as a simple "heads/tails" spread. Someday I'll get around to testing that, but I get the impression (although again, this isn't necessarily true) that it has a problem similar to the coin flips.

I would love to produce an insight on how the programming of RNG is possible in computers.

The first fact is --> Computer can never create random numbers or patterns of binary numbers.

The second fact is --> The error in the production of each task deviates computer from getting perfect results with a very minute number (smaller than 1/100 - maybe) This is accumulated with every function/calculation that computer performs and then when it is accumulated enough is used to produce random numbers. This can be done when, computer is ordered to produce some numbers with a function that enables to produce some numbers ( on a fix logic). Now the accumulated errors (in the form of noise error, time delay error, run-time and programming errors - affect this logic and deviate the result from producing the numbers with fixed logic. Now, the errors are everytime different, since these are accumulated in different processes and at different functions and times, the produced result can be said totally random.

However, computer is still not said to be completely random and hence cannot yet master the RNG completely --> this is where generation 5 with artificial intelligence comes in. It has been discovered but it isn't common. So for now we can say that the above mechanism of RNG might be followed at PTCGO servers !!

So we can find disruptions/errors/repetitions from being random.

But it depends on how the errors are being applied to the particular numbers of the function that is executed while playing the game ! If the errors are large enough - it will produce a more probability and closeness to being random otherwise, it can be broken sometimes. This can only be tested by statistics and no other choice.

To test the RNG, the only thing is test it yourself over 500-1000 times (still small - but this is enough to give you an idea on what will happen at an even larger scale. if the deviation between IRL (theoretical results) and PTCGO client (Experimental results) is more than 30% than we can say, RNG might be broken !

Feel free to ask any question related to the above paragraph.

have a nice day :)

Worst luck in-game ever?

That situation makes me cringe~~~

Thanks for the heads up! Appreciated lots for the plan.  :D  ^_^

i do agree with coins and the draw. i keep getting no basic pokemon. but i can say the draw wise is bad or gotten worse. when i first joined i always gotten 3 pokemon, 2 items, 1 supporter and atleast 3 energies. that was after my i put the one up when the game start.

now I am lucky to get any thing useable on first turn. specially links for mewtwo and a dce. or a dce and valley for my gengar, or a wally so i can item lock on first turn.

the coin flips seems to be 25/75. 25% heads and 75% tails. while in some cases it 10/90.

i want to add on to the coin flip, people believe its based on statistics, but a coin flip of heads or tails, is often one sided. I noticed the more you win with a specific deck, the less likely you will go first, i noticed that i kept getting tails no matter what in some of battles, without fail. the decks i barely used, almost always get heads first., I suspect that its programmed to give new decks/players have a chance of winning. RN. i dont know about the drawing issue, but i think that could be how many energies or pokemon you put in your deck.

it is assumed that in other forums, that PTGO coin flips are pre-determined even before the flip happens, as soon as the game begins. computer generated flips, eg rng. It would be ideal if coin flips were always 50/50, but in reality its not that simple, its almost 1 sided with the 50.50

i want to add on to the coin flip, people believe its based on statistics, but a coin flip of heads or tails, is often one sided. I noticed the more you win with a specific deck, the less likely you will go first, i noticed that i kept getting tails no matter what in some of battles, without fail. the decks i barely used, almost always get heads first., I suspect that its programmed to give new decks/players have a chance of winning. RN. i dont know about the drawing issue, but i think that could be how many energies or pokemon you put in your deck.

it is assumed that in other forums, that PTGO coin flips are pre-determined even before the flip happens, as soon as the game begins. computer generated flips, eg rng. It would be ideal if coin flips were always 50/50, but in reality its not that simple, its almost 1 sided with the 50.50

Just so you know, you're accusing the developers of rigging the RNG on purpose and then deliberately lying to everyone about it working as intended.

I'm not sure if that's what you really meant to say, but that's the direct implication of " that PTGO coin flips are pre-determined even before the flip happens"

The subject of RNG has been discussed many times, and addressed by the mods a few others. I can't say for sure anymore that the RNG is working perfectly, since after several debates over the subject I realized that it's entirely possible for consecutive events to be linked by virtue of the fact that the data the RNG uses to decide the outcome is very close together and even the same in some cases, which would result in consecutive tails or heads that are too frequent to be explained by statistics alone.

However, if there is one thing I can tell you is that they are NOT rigging the RNG purposefully, and then come here and lie to us with a straight face (or at least as much of a straight face as you can convey through the internet).

don't take offense to this but some of the rng hand drawing first turn can be fixed by being able to make better decks for example if you run a gengar ex deck but only run 2 copies but also have have shaymin in your deck there is a high possibility you may get the first turn shaymin with nothing else. 

Worst luck in-game ever?

Epic splash does 30 damage, with muscle band, it does 50. Your 70 hp Litleo would have 20 hp left. Fake.

Epic splash does 30 damage, with muscle band, it does 50. Your 70 hp Litleo would have 20 hp left. Fake.

Litleo is weak to Water, remember?

I still remember this one match where I faced diggersby. Each head flip is one card discarded from the top of the deck.

17 heads in a row.

Deck went from 35 cards to 18. It was only turn 3. I lost.

Archived