Meta is getting stale on PTCGO...

rgp151

FUF refers to the Furious Fists set, and yeah, rotation means some sets are leaving the Standard format. It's expect that in the next rotation cards from Kalos Starter Set, XY Base Set, Flash Fire and Furious Fists will move out of standard unless they already have reprints in another sets.

EDIT: oops, greninja'd :P

EDIT [2]: I'm also new to this rotation thing, so I'll ask as well: isn't there a rotation for Expanded as well? We keep talking about rotation in Standard, but aren't there some Expanded sets supposed to move to Unlimited too or am I mistaken?

To date, Expanded has not rotated.

My speculation as to why Expanded exists, is that since the Japanese Standard format is BLW-on. The Japanese players are able to use more cards than us, which is why we created Expanded format, and why world championships was played in BLW-on last year.

So, some Expanded sets will probably move to Unlimited as soon as Japan updates their standard format to NXD-on or so.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hum, that's a shame, there are a lot of good cards I like from those sets. When are the worlds ? When is the rotation going to happen (more or less) ?

To date, Expanded has not rotated.

My speculation as to why Expanded exists, is that since the Japanese Standard format is BLW-on. The Japanese players are able to use more cards than us, which is why we created Expanded format, and why world championships was played in BLW-on last year.

So, some Expanded sets will probably move to Unlimited as soon as Japan updates their standard format to NXD-on or so.

I see. Thanks for the answer  :)

Ive found a lot of decks:

Ninja blue

Night March

Trevenat

Vesp/Vile

Gyarados/Regice

Bats

Darkrai/Hypno

Garchomp/Lucario

Garchomp/Hawlucha

Few Groundon

But for my 2 cents, Night March it's not a real match. The opponent (or myself when i play it)  close the game in 1 turn and without say "hello, good game" ! Only put the creature with compressor Shaymin Ultra ball, energy BOOM !!!

I'm not sure how stale the Metagame is, though I have seen an excess of certain decks:

Night March

Greninja Break

Yveltal/Dark

Trevenant Break

Garchomp

Those I've seen over 65% of the time, but there are some really powerful decks that can steal wins from them:

Entei/Charizard-EX

Vespiquen/Vileplume

Speed Reshiram/Giratina

Seimitoad-EX (It still lives here :()

M Manectric Variants, paired with all sorts of support - like Garbodor, Ho-Oh-EX, etc

M Sceptile Healing, or just normal Sceptile-EX

Wailord Passive (Seriously - it is slowly rising from the ashes!)

If there's one thing I'll say, it's that there are too many auto-loss matchups - or ones that are too easily decided on turn one. Trevenant Break is a big offender here: Builds have so easily preformed a turn 1 Wally Item lock, a match up between Night March and Trevenant are too easily decided by the starting coin flip. The trees go first, they win. Night March goes first, they usually win.

In other words, the format is not so much stale in deck choice, as much as it is the matches themselves. Too many matches are decided on the first turns of play, so it can feel like playing solitaire against opponents at times...

I kind of agree that there's no single solid play right now.  In a way the field is wide open because each OP deck kind of has a glaringly obvious bad matchup. 

I kind of agree that there's no single solid play right now.  In a way the field is wide open because each OP deck kind of has a glaringly obvious bad matchup. 

That's true. I feel like lately there aren't that many matchups that are even. Almost every game I play feels like it's a one-sided stomp, regardless of whether I'm the one in the giving or recieving end of it.

The only matchups that to me feel dead even are mirror matchups like NM vs NM or Trev vs Vs.

just had 3 minutes of my time wasted by typhlosion getting turn 2 nuke after waiting ages for them to get basic, and they get red card as well.

meta is getting boring, sudden influx of stupid nightmarch as well.

I am fed up now, cant get a decent game for nukefests and nightmarch, while drawing rubbish.

they really need to add a place where dailies can be done without this.

just had 3 minutes of my time wasted by typhlosion getting turn 2 nuke after waiting ages for them to get basic, and they get red card as well.

meta is getting boring, sudden influx of stupid nightmarch as well.

I am fed up now, cant get a decent game for nukefests and nightmarch, while drawing rubbish.

they really need to add a place where dailies can be done without this.

If Typhlosion is giving you a hard time, I have bad news for you...

There's a reason almost no one plays Typhlosion anymore these days.

no, just more noskill instanuke turn 2 for 240 rubbish by someone using mass energy and 1 basic.

wasting my time

I keep getting rubbish hands and mass ex spammers.

how much fun.. start with a 30 hp pokemon and they can hit first turn with thier EX

this is getting beyond fun.

I want a decent battle, not many tens of minutes wasted on 1-2 turn games or card 2-3 minutes of card drawing, that's all it has been since patch.

there hasn't been anything remotely resembling a battle.

this is getting now tbh, not one enjoyable game.

seeing a lot of Glalie EX... and always getting rubbish hands or screwed over by stupid coin flips. o look deliquent, glalie ex..

whoever designs these cards needs to be fired.

and other annoying mega junk constantly.. this game needs to be made fun, not stupid boring nukes.

seeing a lot of Glalie EX... and always getting rubbish hands or screwed over by stupid coin flips. o look deliquent, glalie ex..

and other annoying mega junk constantly.. this game needs to be made fun, not stupid boring nukes.

I don't understand why you continue doing this then. Day after day you come here to complain that you aren't having fun and that you think 90% of the things in the game are rubbish.

I don't get it. It's like you're forcing yourself to do something you hate doing. What's the point?

If you don't like it this way, make your decks more consistent. If you feel you are the only one getting bad hands, then believe me. I still don't play shaymins and still don't get bad hands, because I made my deck very consistent. You need to do the same. That solves the problem everytime. So just try making it more and more consistent. After each tweak your deck a little. A Master piece will be created at the end ! Which would be very consistent.

The game does give bad hands. But the amount time you put in complaining here could be used to ask others' help or help yourself in making your deck consistent.

Have a nice day :)

Hey phalanx, yesterday after I left a certain realization hit me. You play mostly Simisage/Simisear/Simipour with hand fling right? Well, I have some legit bad news for you. After N is reprinted in May 5th, those decks (and every single other hand deck) are rip.

Right now they can get by in standard because there is only judge (which some people run mostly as a tech), and maybe red card. After N's reprint, everyone and their mother will have at least 1 copy of N, if not multiple ones, in all of their decks.

So I guess this means RIP hand decks xd The almighty N has no sympathy for them.

I hate N so much... worst card ever IMO. The bad thing is that you HAVE to run it. When N is in the format you can't no use it. But I just hate the way the game works with N because essentially you can't set anything up in your hand. You have to assume that every turn you're going to get a new hand. 

But also, this time around we have Octillery, which massively changes the effectiveness of N in the late game as we already see in expanded. Gone are the days when you can N your opponent down to 1 at the end of a close game. But still its means that on the opening people are going to be spamming N so you can't do stuff like Hoopa for your basics and a Mega on turn 1, etc. You can't have a plan laid out with the card sin your hand,etc. 

What I hate about N is that it forces you into a style of play where every turn you just have to play everything under the assumption that whatever you have in hand will be gone next turn. I hate that. 

Also, the past few days I've tried various rogue decks. I still haven't tried Sceptile, but none of my other decks are doing well at all. At keep coming back to Trevenant and Garchomp/Zoroark. I do "ok" with Flareon-EX/Pyroar also, it's probably my best deck after Trevenant and Garchomp.

I'm not sure what's best overall, Trevenant or Garchomp/Zoroark, but its one of those two IMO. But I do HATE the Trevenant mirror match, SO slow and annoying :P

N is the best.

Your opponent might have the perfect hand or the worst and you need cards, powe

gamble on it,

I would agree to this. N works both for setting up in the early game and disrupting the game. On top, the user than is using N is not always at disadvantage and sometimes even backfires (like giving your opponent a superb draw) - so it is a well balanced card as well. Definitely one of the staple cards to be used in every deck.

After all we have seen many disruption cards in PTCGO, so N disrupting the hand shouldn't be different.

Thanks,

Harshu :)

Well I disagree about N. N single handedly destroys many deck engines and hand size decks. Any deck engine built on drawing on additional cards and building a hand is ruined by N, which is quite a shame, and like I said, I don't like the way it basically takes all strategic planning out of hand development. You can't ever plan a turn ahead when N is in the game because you have to assume that you'll have completely different cards on the next turn every turn. It forces people to just be constantly playing down their entire hand all the time, just plain sucks IMO. 

Well I disagree about N. N single handedly destroys many deck engines and hand size decks. Any deck engine built on drawing on additional cards and building a hand is ruined by N, which is quite a shame, and like I said, I don't like the way it basically takes all strategic planning out of hand development. You can't ever plan a turn ahead when N is in the game because you have to assume that you'll have completely different cards on the next turn every turn. It forces people to just be constantly playing down their entire hand all the time, just plain sucks IMO. 

To be honest, I feel you need quite advanced planning due to N. When you know your opponent can N you, you must plan even further, that what is the possibility of taking it to your advantaged. Planning evolutions and other stuff actually does require planning. In fact, its quite interesting to guess whether your opponent will play N or any other supporter regarding the situation. Of course luck sometimes shower on your opponent that even if they didn't need to play N and you had predicted right and they still played N and got something better is pretty out of the box. But, on the other side, when the mid game is going on, I never see players playing N unless they are at a big disadvantage, while in standard - if you are criticizing for ruining your hand and planning. Talk about judge, which is played even in mid games. N is still better ! Because you can change plans accordingly.

Moreover, talking about the plain style of playing that you need play everything on your hand is pretty much wrong. N actually challenges both players to provide flexibility in their plans. Just happens so, lysandre changes the game a lot, N is still just a little disruption in your plan, which is not completely destroyed. You can still go with it with some flexibility. To me, planning and making strategy in your hand and no disruption is totally one sided. The one who gets better first hand, will then almost have more advantage from the start of the game. N and judge balance this first turn superb hand luck and make the game even.

Just my opinion :)

To be honest, I feel you need quite advanced planning due to N. When you know your opponent can N you, you must plan even further, that what is the possibility of taking it to your advantaged. Planning evolutions and other stuff actually does require planning. In fact, its quite interesting to guess whether your opponent will play N or any other supporter regarding the situation. Of course luck sometimes shower on your opponent that even if they didn't need to play N and you had predicted right and they still played N and got something better is pretty out of the box. But, on the other side, when the mid game is going on, I never see players playing N unless they are at a big disadvantage, while in standard - if you are criticizing for ruining your hand and planning. Talk about judge, which is played even in mid games. N is still better ! Because you can change plans accordingly.

Moreover, talking about the plain style of playing that you need play everything on your hand is pretty much wrong. N actually challenges both players to provide flexibility in their plans. Just happens so, lysandre changes the game a lot, N is still just a little disruption in your plan, which is not completely destroyed. You can still go with it with some flexibility. To me, planning and making strategy in your hand and no disruption is totally one sided. The one who gets better first hand, will then almost have more advantage from the start of the game. N and judge balance this first turn superb hand luck and make the game even.

Just my opinion :)

I agree with 99% of what you said, but there is one thing that was mention earleir that simply cannot be changed.

With N being reprinted, hand decks are basically dead. This is an innevitable consequence of bringing N back. Right now only a few people still play hand deck (handagross, noctowls, the monkeys, etc), but you still see them every now and then in standard since Judge and Red Card aren't as abundant. When N is reprinted, Everyone wll have at least 1 N in every deck, and probably even more. It wouldn't be hard at all to use N every turn against hand decks, meaning that it will be very hard for them to stack damage beyond 100 in the early game, and as they take more prizes it will become exponentially harder for them to gain damage output, as receiving less cards from N means both less base damage and a lower chance of finding a Tierno/Rollers/etc.

N won't outirght kill hand decks like I claimed in my previous post, but it will reduce their viability significantly, to the point where I would expect to just stop seeing them altogether in Standard, much in the same way that you never see hand decks in Expanded (for several reasons, but N is definetly the biggest one).

I agree with 99% of what you said, but there is one thing that was mention earleir that simply cannot be changed.

With N being reprinted, hand decks are basically dead. This is an innevitable consequence of bringing N back. Right now only a few people still play hand deck (handagross, noctowls, the monkeys, etc), but you still see them every now and then in standard since Judge and Red Card aren't as abundant. When N is reprinted, Everyone wll have at least 1 N in every deck, and probably even more. It wouldn't be hard at all to use N every turn against hand decks, meaning that it will be very hard for them to stack damage beyond 100 in the early game, and as they take more prizes it will become exponentially harder for them to gain damage output, as receiving less cards from N means both less base damage and a lower chance of finding a Tierno/Rollers/etc.

N won't outirght kill hand decks like I claimed in my previous post, but it will reduce their viability significantly, to the point where I would expect to just stop seeing them altogether in Standard, much in the same way that you never see hand decks in Expanded (for several reasons, but N is definetly the biggest one).

Wish you had suggested when they banned the lysandre's trump card and the strength given to night march :P But thats how the game goes. Those decks are built because N is not there. When people realise, they will stop playing it. Thats simple, players have to adjust in standard. Hence I don't like standard anymore. It doesn't give you the freedom to play the way you want. Hence I go with Unlimited and since unlimited is gone, expanded ! But I just stay away from standard - its just a bunch of same decks again and again.

Talk about luck, they are strengthening night march even more in the next set. So all players have to adjust. All those who didn't play night march when trump card was there, eventually had to adjust to face night march and tech themselves. Thats the way this game goes :/

So bringing back N weakening hand oriented deck - then they are same as night march in unlimited ^_^ --> Trump was valid in unlimited.

I am not complaining about anything, but thats the way it goes ! Remember, trump wasn't banned due to Night march, it was banned due to Seismitoad. After seismitoad got released, people eventually included Xerosic in their decks. New cards, old cards, reprints all keeps going and players have to adapt according.

Wish you had suggested when they banned the lysandre's trump card and the strength given to night march :P But thats how the game goes. Those decks are built because N is not there. When people realise, they will stop playing it. Thats simple, players have to adjust in standard. Hence I don't like standard anymore. It doesn't give you the freedom to play the way you want. Hence I go with Unlimited and since unlimited is gone, expanded ! But I just stay away from standard - its just a bunch of same decks again and again.

Talk about luck, they are strengthening night march even more in the next set. So all players have to adjust. All those who didn't play night march when trump card was there, eventually had to adjust to face night march and tech themselves. Thats the way this game goes :/

So bringing back N weakening hand oriented deck - then they are same as night march in unlimited ^_^ --> Trump was valid in unlimited.

I am not complaining about anything, but thats the way it goes ! Remember, trump wasn't banned due to Night march, it was banned due to Seismitoad. After seismitoad got released, people eventually included Xerosic in their decks. New cards, old cards, reprints all keeps going and players have to adapt according.

I don't particularly care about hand decks either way, but I do feel kind of sad for the people who liked them. It's true that people will just have to adjust I guess. Oh well, lets have a moment of silence for the hand decks that will no longer see any play xd Rip, our lord N has no mercy for anyone xd

Archived