Meta is getting stale on PTCGO...

rgp151

Seems like now I'd say pretty much 80% of my matches are against either Trevenant Break, Garchomp, or Night March. 

I wouldn't complain too much, but I have a hard time beating these decks with anything other than the same, so I end up having to run the same decks as well. The only other decks I run that are still pretty good are darkness decks due to the mix of Trevenant weakness and Fighting Resistance. 

I don't recall the meta being this stale in quite a while....

Oh,and last night I finally got a matchup against a Lightening deck, so I was thinking, oh finally, but then it was a Jolteon-EX deck :P So yeah, that sucked too...

Seems that game-play is a very frustrating at the moment. 

Right now, other than Trevenant and Garchomp, the main thing I'm playing is actually my Malamar/Malamar/Malamar deck...

This is why I moved to expanded. I don't have much in the way of good expanded decks but I am working on that. It's nice to have some fresh match ups.

Is there a player rank or level that determines who you play?

I have yet to play night March or Garchomp. Played one or two Trev. Most decks I'm seeing are built around/with random various EX Pokemon.

Granted I am relatively new and maybe played 20 online matches?

• Upvote 1

Is there a player rank or level that determines who you play?

I have yet to play night March or Garchomp. Played one or two Trev. Most decks I'm seeing are built around/with random various EX Pokemon.

Granted I am relatively new and maybe played 20 online matches?

Yes, there is a hidden value that's known by a couple of names (mainly MMR and ELO), which is basically a skill rating.

I'm not sure how your base MMR is calculated, but in practice, because of the way in which it works it's very unlikely that you'll face the top tier decks right off the bat. I'll probably take several games until this happens. I honestly can't remember how many games it took me to start seeing the top tier decks in VS, but probably more than 20 xd

• Upvote 1

There're lotsa interesting decks to trash those typical decks. Some unpopular decks that I am using;

1) Trash Tentacle Malamar with Crawdunt

2) Simi-evolutions Hand Flings

3) Machine Gun Metagross

4) Horror Note Gourgeist

5) Medicham

6) Flareon-Ex

7) Haxorous

8) Typhlosion

It's fun sometimes cause people don't know what you're doing & can't anticipate your moves.

There're lotsa interesting decks to trash those typical decks. Some unpopular decks that I am using;

1) Trash Tentacle Malamar with Crawdunt

2) Simi-evolutions Hand Flings

3) Machine Gun Metagross

4) Horror Note Gourgeist

5) Medicham

6) Flareon-Ex

7) Haxorous

8) Typhlosion

It's fun sometimes cause people don't know what you're doing & can't anticipate your moves.

This,

I've been playing Garchomp too, and while, I've played a lot of Night March, Greninja, Trev, Yveltal decks.

A lot of the above too, and decks that came out of nowhere to wreck me due to me not knowing what's happening, or having type advantage over my poor garchomps, as well as.

Mewtwo EX

Manectric

Lucario/Bats

Raichu XY

Mega Scizor

Lugia EX

Random EX creations

Random Grass decks that *** my poor 'chomp..

Sure, a lot of the decks are annoying to play against, but, there are a lot of decks in the format that I'm seeing.

The thing about ladder is, you can complete it easily, with a random creation that just takes people by surprise.

And this is great, the best decks in the format, aren't immune to decks doing weird things and having fun..There is creative license, and I like that.

Seen some really cool decks. Have fun with ladder, you don't need to play the top tier decks to win, you just don't.

I play Garchomp, simply because it lets me feel like I'm actually making decisions, and that I can outplay my opponent.

I've pulled a couple of Garchomp from packs, but I'm not sure what a deck build around it looks like. Does it use Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick?

Lol I NEVER play standard for this reason, I just stick with my unlimited plasma deck that works really well(unless you go second to shiftry lol).

The thing about ladder is, you can complete it easily, with a random creation that just takes people by surprise.

And this is great, the best decks in the format, aren't immune to decks doing weird things and having fun..There is creative license, and I like that.

Seen some really cool decks. Have fun with ladder, you don't need to play the top tier decks to win, you just don't.

I play Garchomp, simply because it lets me feel like I'm actually making decisions, and that I can outplay my opponent.

Err...

The fact is that, at least at my rating level, I'd say about 85% of matches are against either Garchomp, Trevnant, or Night March. It's one of those three pretty much every time.

Only rarely do I go against something other than this.

In addition, if I play anything other than one of those three decks then my win rate right now is much lower than playing one of those three. 

Electric is a totally trashed by Garchomp, so there aren't many Electric decks in the Meta right now. And if they aren't trashed by Garchomp then most are heavily item dependent anyway and also get trashed by Trevenant, though at least Mega Manectric can 1 shot Trevenant, which helps a little, but without items getting Mega Man out quickly is not easy, but the main thing is that Garchomp just annihilates all electric decks, so playing electric right now does not go well. No, you aren't going to be "laddering" with any Electric deck these days. 

Mewtwo and Lucario are both weak to Psychic. Good luck with that. 

Saying that you don't need to play "top tier decks" to win is kind of silly. If you are a highly ranked player then you do. Maybe if you have a low rating and thus go up against a lot of bad decks then you don't, but...

I'd love to see official stats, but I'd be willing to bet right now that the win rates on certain decks is much more concentrated than it has been for quite a while. Garchomp and Trevenant are dominating everything.

If you don't want to play Garchomp or Trevenant right now pretty much the only alternative is a Darkness deck, and really Garchomp and Trevenant are so strong that even playing Darkness against them isn't an easy win.

I'd say that Yveltal (Fighting Resistance) against Garchomp is a pretty even fight, maybe still slightly in favor of Garchomp. 

Yveltal against Trevenant is actually still slightly in favor of Trevenant, despite the weakness to Darkness, because Trevenant is just that good. When a deck is still favored over an opposing deck when facing weakness, that's clearly OP.

I'd say that hardest matchup for me with Trevenant is against decks with a lot of non-item based healing, like water decks that run Center Lady, etc.

That's why I wonder why Sceptile decks aren't more popular right now. Garchomp is weak to it, and it One-Shots Trevenant for just 2 energies. Sure, Level Balls are useful for getting Ariados up if you use him but you can manage with draw supporters and FoGP. And besides that, there's also the Malamar-EX variety. Also, Sceptile with Muscle Band knocks out Joltiks for 1 energy (with Megaphone removing their FFBs).

I am not highly ranked at all, but why isn't Sceptile giving them a good match?

Edited by PKTyrantrum

That's why I wonder why Sceptile decks aren't more popular right now. Garchomp is weak to it, and it One-Shots Trevenant for just 2 energies. Sure, Level Balls are useful for getting Ariados up if you use him but you can manage with draw supporters and FoGP. And besides that, there's also the Malamar-EX variety. Also, Sceptile with Muscle Band knocks out Joltiks for 1 energy (with Megaphone removing their FFBs).

I am not highly ranked at all, but why isn't Sceptile giving them a good match?

This is actually a good point. I haven't seem any Sceptile decks around lately, but that's probably because Sceptile was bad after Breakthrough. Unfortunately for me I traded all my Sceptile-EXs away, but what you say makes sense, so I may have to look for some again..

Sceptiel / Malamar would be hitting for weakness against both Trev and Garchomp, which is quite nice...

My reasoning for using Garchomp is because I didn't had a competitive deck, and Chomp is fun to play (for me) and it's a rather cheap deck. It's not that I want easy wins with strong decks, it's just I don't have the resources, for now, to build more decks.

And as a Garchomp user, I don't fear Sceptile-EX tbh, Chomp ohko's with a muscle band or a strong energy or even with the fighting stadium with **** off. Night March's are obviously a problem that I needed to adapt so I threw a couple of enhanced hammers and luckly I win by decking out the opponent. Trevenent decks are super hard for the obvious reasons of resisting fighting (so Chomp never ohko's) and item locking the tools and rare candies for the deck to actually work. A deck that blew me away was a Gourgeist deck, the one that gets 200hp with a grass energy. Now that, Chomp decks don't deal unless they're running red card.

EDIT: Why the burning place beneath earth the word that means closing your teeth censored ? LOL It's the name of the attack for god's sake xD . (Yeah...had to rewrite the place beneath earth, still getting used to this forum)

Edited by FlaFlaPT

Err...

The fact is that, at least at my rating level, I'd say about 85% of matches are against either Garchomp, Trevnant, or Night March. It's one of those three pretty much every time.

Only rarely do I go against something other than this.

In addition, if I play anything other than one of those three decks then my win rate right now is much lower than playing one of those three. 

Electric is a totally trashed by Garchomp, so there aren't many Electric decks in the Meta right now. And if they aren't trashed by Garchomp then most are heavily item dependent anyway and also get trashed by Trevenant, though at least Mega Manectric can 1 shot Trevenant, which helps a little, but without items getting Mega Man out quickly is not easy, but the main thing is that Garchomp just annihilates all electric decks, so playing electric right now does not go well. No, you aren't going to be "laddering" with any Electric deck these days. 

Mewtwo and Lucario are both weak to Psychic. Good luck with that. 

Saying that you don't need to play "top tier decks" to win is kind of silly. If you are a highly ranked player then you do. Maybe if you have a low rating and thus go up against a lot of bad decks then you don't, but...

I'd love to see official stats, but I'd be willing to bet right now that the win rates on certain decks is much more concentrated than it has been for quite a while. Garchomp and Trevenant are dominating everything.

If you don't want to play Garchomp or Trevenant right now pretty much the only alternative is a Darkness deck, and really Garchomp and Trevenant are so strong that even playing Darkness against them isn't an easy win.

I'd say that Yveltal (Fighting Resistance) against Garchomp is a pretty even fight, maybe still slightly in favor of Garchomp. 

Yveltal against Trevenant is actually still slightly in favor of Trevenant, despite the weakness to Darkness, because Trevenant is just that good. When a deck is still favored over an opposing deck when facing weakness, that's clearly OP.

I'd say that hardest matchup for me with Trevenant is against decks with a lot of non-item based healing, like water decks that run Center Lady, etc.

You just described a rock/paper/scissor meta...Well done..Proves nothing, other than a healthy format. 

Garchomp is a great deck, but it gets wrecked by Greninja, almost any non-ex grass deck, Trevenant, Vileplume/Vespiquen, Vespiquen Varients, Yveltal is a tricky match up, Typhlosion...Night March is tricky ofc, Medicharm..I could go on..There are a lot of hard match ups for the deck, that are by no means auto wins. 

That's a ton of decks, that would knock out one of best decks in the format. And ofc, I'm sure I've missed loads...

And not counting for a persons ability to actually play the game. 

And, the same is true, for many other decks in the format..

So, simply climbing to 2000 vs points, should be easy, with almost any strategy, because, like every deck in the format, you're going to have good match ups and bad match ups. As proven above. Sure, there is a lot of Night March and 'Chomp, but they're well publicized, and easy to put together.

I could take a Glalie deck right now, and power to 2000 vs points, it is what it is. There is something to say for being Rogue. 

I've finished the last couple of ladders with a very high rating level. It's by no means exclusive to 3 decks. And by no means, couldn't you get there, by playing something a little different. 

What's actually wrong with the format?

Well that's goldfishing. 

Maybe. All I know is I don't ever recall the meta being as monolithic on PTCGO as it is right now. Yes, there have always been dominant decks, but I've never seen it where 3 (or really 2) decks is all you ever see. 

It seems that in the months leading up to Worlds, the meta gets stale, and then the rotation hita directly afterward. I remember last year, the last few months before rotation 7/10 Decks I would plat would be VirGen.

Keep in mind that the following cards will be leaving when FUF rotates.

This could shape the meta differently (and probably will).

Yveltal-EX (only if it's not reprinted in the Shiny Kalos Tins)

Muscle Band

Hard Charm

Pyroar

Energy Grace Milotic

Forretress

Miltank

Blacksmith

Startling Megaphone

Korrina

Seismitoad-EX

Lucario-EX

Fighting Stadium

Focus Sash

Hawlucha

I'm thinking that its worse now because the "top 3" (or maybe just main three) decks are relatively cheap to build. You don't even need Shaymins for Garchomp and while a lot of people do run 2 Shaymins in Trevenant you don't even need them for that. I run it without Shaymins cause I like it better that way. 

When VirGen was big it was still a pretty pricey deck to put together. But Garchomp is like dirt cheap and Trevenant Break isn't bad either. Ironically, Night March might be the most expensive of the three due to Shaymins.

But yeah, when FuF rotates Fighting is going to be completely devastated unless they do some reprints. 

I'm thinking that its worse now because the "top 3" (or maybe just main three) decks are relatively cheap to build. You don't even need Shaymins for Garchomp and while a lot of people do run 2 Shaymins in Trevenant you don't even need them for that. I run it without Shaymins cause I like it better that way.

When VirGen was big it was still a pretty pricey deck to put together. But Garchomp is like dirt cheap and Trevenant Break isn't bad either. Ironically, Night March might be the most expensive of the three due to Shaymins.

But yeah, when FuF rotates Fighting is going to be completely devastated unless they do some reprints.

Good point.

And I would'nt rule out fighting reprints. Strong Energy is 99% probably getting a reprint in FCO or the summer set.

Edited by seminc

It seems that in the months leading up to Worlds, the meta gets stale, and then the rotation hita directly afterward. I remember last year, the last few months before rotation 7/10 Decks I would plat would be VirGen.

That makes a lot of sense. It's easier for people to test their lists in a lot of matches in the online game.

Keep in mind that the following cards will be leaving when FUF rotates.

This could shape the meta differently (and probably will).

Yveltal-EX (only if it's not reprinted in the Shiny Kalos Tins)

Muscle Band

Hard Charm

Pyroar

Energy Grace Milotic

Forretress

Miltank

Blacksmith

Startling Megaphone

Korrina

Seismitoad-EX

Lucario-EX

Fighting Stadium

Focus Sash

Hawlucha

Isn't Trevenant rotating with these as well? I'm going to throw a party when that happens.

That makes a lot of sense. It's easier for people to test their lists in a lot of matches in the online game.

Isn't Trevenant rotating with these as well? I'm going to throw a party when that happens.

I forgot about Trevenant xD

Can you explain to me what it means FUF and this rotating ? Like a bunch of cards are soon to leave standard ?

Every year, after the world championships, a small block of the oldest sets (usually 3-4, but historically as much as 7) are removed from the Standard format. Those cards are then only playable in Expanded and Unlimited.

The rotation last year removed:

Boundaries Crossed

Plasma Storm

Plasma Freeze

Plasma Blast

Legendary Treasures

Making XY-Kalos Starter Set the oldest set allowed in Standard.

It has not been confirmed, but an educated guess leads me to believe that

XY-Kalos Starter Set

XY

XY-Flashfire

XY-Furious Fists.

As for "FUF", each set is assigned an acronym for ease of use when creating deck lists.

FUF stands for Furious Fists, but is not the official acronym, just the one initially used by fans. FFI is the official acronym.

EDIT** something I forgot, thanks @miyamorris for jogging my memory xD

Any cards from rotated sets that have a newer print in a Standard legal set are legal to be played in Standard. (Example: Judge from HS-Unleashed is playable in standard due to a newer print existing in BREAKthrough. Interviewer's Questions from HS-Unleashed is not legal for standard however, as there is no newer print of the card in a Standard legal set.

Edited by seminc

Can you explain to me what it means FUF and this rotating ? Like a bunch of cards are soon to leave standard ?

FUF refers to the Furious Fists set, and yeah, rotation means some sets are leaving the Standard format. It's expect that in the next rotation cards from Kalos Starter Set, XY Base Set, Flash Fire and Furious Fists will move out of standard unless they already have reprints in another sets.

EDIT: oops, greninja'd :P

EDIT [2]: I'm also new to this rotation thing, so I'll ask as well: isn't there a rotation for Expanded as well? We keep talking about rotation in Standard, but aren't there some Expanded sets supposed to move to Unlimited too or am I mistaken?

Edited by miyamoris