Is there an EX clause?

banjo2ie

First of all sorry if this is in the wrong place, and sorry if this has been asked a million times, but is there some way I can find matches for non-ex battles? Because I'm just tired of my stage 2 pkmn getting scraped by OP basics. That is if I can even evolve before the opponent gets 3 energies on his EX pkmn.

If there is no such thing, am I alone in wanting this??? EX pkmn just kinda ruin it for me

There is currently no queue for non-EX battles.

You are not alone in wanting a mode for this, many others have expressed their frustration with EX cards. However, there are no formats IRL that limit the types of cards you run in your deck, and since PTCGO is based off of the IRL game, a special queue is unlikely to be created.

U are not alone man XD Ex's can get annoying some times and i wish there was a mode without ex's, but there are a lot of non-ex's that can wipe the floor with ex's XD

banjo2ie, on 27 Mar 2016 - 9:44 PM, said:

First of all sorry if this is in the wrong place, and sorry if this has been asked a million times, but is there some way I can find matches for non-ex battles? Because I'm just tired of my stage 2 pkmn getting scraped by OP basics. That is if I can even evolve before the opponent gets 3 energies on his EX pkmn.

If there is no such thing, am I alone in wanting this??? EX pkmn just kinda ruin it for me

There are currently no formats where the use of pokemon EX is banned. Technically the Theme Format does not have pokemon EX (if there are any Theme Decks with pokemon EX, I've yet to see one. At the very least, none of the popular ones have pokemon EX [EDIT: as pointed out down below, there do exist a few Theme Decks with pokemon EX, however they are not playable in PvP. So now I can safely say that there are no pokemon EX in the Theme Format at all]). However, it's not a custom format, so you can't bring your own decks to play in it.

Honestly, if you look around and take some time to investigate the ins and outs of the current PTCG meta, pokemon EX aren't really op. There are many decks that utilize pokemon EX, but that has more to do with the utility that some of them bring to the deck than their raw power or tankiness. In fact, most of the pokemon EX that only do damage with meh scaling and no abilities have pretty much no place in the current metagame.

So for example, lets look at Ninetails EX from Generations. It's not exactly a fair example since I deliberatly picked one of the worst pokemon EX out there, but just follow me for now. When you compare it to non-EX pokemon, it still looks kinda op at first, because it's a basic with 170hp (so it should be nigh unkillable) and has an attack that does 130 damage, surely enough to OHKO anything non EX. But the thing is, right now there are a couple of things that can easily do 170 damage turn one, some of which are not even pokemon EX, and multiple cards that can at least do enough damage for a 2HKO in just the first 2 turns (again, many of which aren't even EX). Since it's raw power is not that impressive, it would need to at least have some kind of utility to it to be worth using. But nope, it doesn't have any abilities. The only utility it has to its name is being a fire pokemon, so it works with blacksmith. If you look at AT Entei, it does something very similar (has the risk of doing recoil damage, but it's not an EX so it gives 1 less prize, and with 2 FFB it can have as much health as Ninetails EX with 1 FFB while still doing 10 more damage and having the utility of his first attack.

The pokemon EX that are currently dominant (or at least popular) in the current metagame are pokemon like Seismitoad EX or Giratina EX, which bring lock utility, Shaymin EX (omnipresent in every deck due to its card draw utility), Manaphy EX due to free retreat, etc. Among the pokemon EX that are meant as attackers, the only ones that are strong are the ones who have either at least a mildly good scaling or an absurdly high base power (usually the only ones with high base power are Mega pokemon, and even then those attacks are usually really costly, such as M Mewtwo EX [sorry Chawky xd I know how good it is, all I'm saying is that there are other attacks that require less energies. I know that 200 damage + ignoring effects is plenty worth the 4 energies] or M Charizard EX Y [costs 5 energies, and at an impressive 300 damage it's a complete overkill]).

To be honest with you, if there were to be a format with an EX clause it wouldn't look too different from what normal Standard looks like. Probably the only big change that we'd see is that we wouldn't have the draw speed of Shaymin EX, but decks like Night March and Trevenant BREAK will continue to be not just popular but also extremly strong.

With that said, I think it would be interesting to see a Little Cup equivalent in this game. However, if that ever happens, just removing pokemon EX won't suffice. They would also have to include a series of limitations in order for it to not become just NM spammage all the time. A few thing I think should be restricted in said mode, if it ever becomes a thing:

• No pokemon EX
  • No scaling attacks (so no Night March)
  • No controll abilities (no Trevenant, no Garbodor, no Wobbufet, etc)
  • No pokemon with more than 100 hp.

I'm probably leaving out a bunch of things that would be necessary to make such a game mode balanced, but I think it would be interesting if this concept is ever explored in more depth and implemented as a separate format.

(if there are any Theme Decks with pokemon EX, I've yet to see one. At the very least, none of the popular ones have pokemon EX). 

I believe the battle arena decks are allowed as Theme Decks, Mewtwo EX and Darkrai EX were popular ones back in the day

I believe the battle arena decks are allowed as Theme Decks, Mewtwo EX and Darkrai EX were popular ones back in the day

Oh yeah I had totally forgotten about those. I actually play irl life against a friend who uses a merged/modified version of those decks, now that I think about it. I guess I didn't recognize them as Theme Decks since his version is neither of the original ones. Thanks for the catch, I'll add that to my post.

Oh yeah I had totally forgotten about those. I actually play irl life against a friend who uses a merged/modified version of those decks, now that I think about it. I guess I didn't recognize them as Theme Decks since his version is neither of the original ones. Thanks for the catch, I'll add that to my post.

Don't bother, they may be allowed in the Trainer Challenge, but they are not allowed in VS Theme format. Those decks are similar (but better than) to the Decks that are unlocked via code cards in Tins. Those decks are much less broken, but are still not allowed in Theme.

Don't bother, they may be allowed in the Trainer Challenge, but they are not allowed in VS Theme format. Those decks are similar (but better than) to the Decks that are unlocked via code cards in Tins. Those decks are much less broken, but are still not allowed in Theme.

Adding that in as well xd Thanks for that one.

But the thing is, right now there are a couple of things that can easily do 170 damage turn one, some of which are not even pokemon EX, and multiple cards that can at least do enough damage for a 2HKO in just the first 2 turns ******, many of which aren't even EX).

What are some non-ex cards that can do that? Unless they're basic you're still at a disadvantage because previous evolutions take up deck space and it can take several turns to evolve, and in my experience the enemy EX is usually set up by then.

And what exactly does scaling mean btw? I'm not all that familiar w/ the jargon yet

What are some non-ex cards that can do that? Unless they're basic you're still at a disadvantage because previous evolutions take up deck space and it can take several turns to evolve, and in my experience the enemy EX is usually set up by then.

And what exactly does scaling mean btw? I'm not all that familiar w/ the jargon yet

There is one deck that can consistantly do 170 damage on turn 1, and that would be Night March. It's based around Joltik and Pumpkaboo, basic non EX pokemon. They have the attack Night March, which does x20 damage for each card with the attack NM in your discard. There is also lampent, which is evolved but has NM. Lampent is included simply to be discarded via Battle Compressor, Ultra Ball or Sycamore in order fuel Joltik's and Pumpkaboo's attack power. With a combination of trainers you can consistantly discard 8 NM cards and get an attack boosting tool attached to your active pokemon in a single turn.

That deck aside, it probably takes a few turns of setup to do that much damage, but 2HKOing pokemon EX is still a respectable feat.

There's also Trevenant, which doesn't do loads of damage, but severely cripples your opponents ability to set up.

Oh, and scaling means basically any D+ or D× attacks, where D would be the base damage. It's scaling as opposed to fixed.

There is one deck that can consistantly do 170 damage on turn 1, and that would be Night March. It's based around Joltik and Pumpkaboo, basic non EX pokemon. They have the attack Night March, which does x20 damage for each card with the attack NM in your discard. There is also lampent, which is evolved but has NM. ********* included simply to fuel Joltik and Pumpkaboo. With a combination of trainers you can consistantly discard 8 NM cards and get an attack boosting tool attached to your active pokemon in a single turn.

That deck aside, it probably takes a few turns of setup to do that much damage, but 2HKOing pokemon EX is still a respectable feat.

There's also Trevenant, which doesn't do loads of damage, but severely cripples your opponents ability to set up.

Oh, and scaling means basically any D+ or D× attacks, where D would be the base damage. It's scaling as opposed to fixed.

Lets not forget the all mighty Garchomp deck that is ruining Exs Lives in Standard :D, but that is for a later stage, nightmarch is a very good place to start since its very cheap to get teh cards and soon will have even more support from the new mew :D

Lets not forget the all mighty Garchomp deck that is ruining Exs Lives in Standard :D, but that is for a later stage, nightmarch is a very good place to start since its very cheap to get teh cards and soon will have even more support from the new mew :D

Yeah you're right, Garchomp deserves a mention as well. It's a stage 2, but it's a supidly good stage 2. It has free retreat, OHKOs any pokemon EX easily, has energy acceleration from the discard, can recover special energies (including DDE, DCE and the Strong Energy), and has all the fighting support, including focush sash, which is a nighmare to deal with for most decks that rely on OHKOing everything (Xerosic and Megaphone are a thing, but sometimes luck just won't be on your side and you won't have them available the moment you need them).

The fact that pokemon EX give 2 prizes while still getting OHKOd often, while pokemon like Garchomp and Night March cards only give 1 prize puts any pokemon EX that doesn't bring some real utility in a serious dissadvantage.

Yeah you're right, Garchomp deserves a mention as well. It's a stage 2, but it's a supidly good stage 2. It has free retreat, OHKOs any pokemon EX easily, has energy acceleration from the discard, can recover special energies (including DDE, DCE and the Strong Energy), and has all the fighting support, including focush sash, which is a nighmare to deal with for most decks that rely on OHKOing everything (Xerosic and Megaphone are a thing, but sometimes luck just won't be on your side and you won't have them available the moment you need them).

The fact that pokemon EX give 2 prizes while still getting OHKOd often, while pokemon like Garchomp and Night March cards only give 1 prize puts any pokemon EX that doesn't bring some real utility in a serious dissadvantage.

Doesn't Garchomp run on the Maxie engine?

That's what made Blastoise such a good deck in the midst of a T1 Toad lock format.

That's what made Blastoise such a good deck in the midst of a T1 Toad lock format.

Well for a simple form of the deck normally you see garchomp line 4-2-4 with rare candy korina, thats the nomral deck, maxies garchomp I havent see yet in standard, only in unlimted

Well for a simple form of the deck normally you see garchomp line 4-2-4 with rare candy korina, thats the nomral deck, maxies garchomp I havent see yet in standard, only in unlimted

I've seen both versions in standard. I think maxie's garchomp is a little better due to item locks, but the other one is also viable.

When i first began i wished there was a format without exs instead of theme because it can get boring quick, but i think that people here are right in saying that decks like NM would only cause problems in this format if it was just non-ex pokemon. 

I feel like I may be one of the few players who is a massive fan of the current standard format meta game that would love to have a non EX format (honestly, exactly Gonzo's "Little Cup" idea, I just need to say more to fill out this post :***. It would be fun for new players as well as old, as it would allow for a much wider variety of decks to be competitive. Obviously it would eventually form it's own meta, and decks that everyone hates would pop up just like any other format. But it could certainly be a fun experiment.

On another note, I also wish we could have a format with only B&W era cards. That was my favorite format, and I wish I could play with just those. But alas, the problems with that are many, mainly that each new format lengthens the wait time for a match.

Archived