Crazy unusual use of common cards

GonzoMD1993

As the title says, I was wondering what is the craziest unusual use you guys have made of otherwise common cards that are staples in a lot of decks.

This came to my mind the other day when I was playing Night March against a Royal Flash Slowking. It took me a while to let it sink just how bad that matchup was for me if he got good RNG.

He started moving all my DCE to the Feebass I had benched at the start of the game, and I had no way of recovering them. I had no way of moving energies, and he was going out of his way to not kill the Feebass. At some point near the end, I desperately needed to attack, but I had no more DCE (they were all on the Feebass + 1 prized), and I had no way of moving them.

So what I did to get out of this situation? I had in my hand only a Milotic, a VS. Seeker and a Compressor. So, I used the BC to discard my Xerosic from the deck, I VS Seeker'd the Xerosic, Xerosic'd my own DCE from the Feebass, and finally, I used Milotic's ability to recover the energy I had just discarded.

I still lost the game in the end xd but it was fun.

Have you guys seen some other crazy awesome, creative uses of otherwise normal cards?

I don't know if this counts or not, but I tried to use escape rope as a switch, with the info that all on the opponent's bench was a primal groudon. I thought due to Primal Groudon's AT, I would be able to switch - and not P groudon. But, to my surprise, P groudon came to the active spot :wacko:

Another was, using tool retriever to discard Team flare gears in standard :D

It wasn't as awesome and entertaining as Gonzo :( why do you have to be so good :(

Wow. That play earns my ultimate respect.

This isn't too unusual, but when M Gardevoir-EX was viable (or any Fairy Toolbox deck in general), Seismitoad Denial Decks were an astonishing part of the metagame. The Seismitoad players would destroy fairy Decks with their hammers, so some ingenious player decided to use Electrike (Omega Barrier) to set up all of their energy on. They would only move as much energy as they needed to hit KOs, and keep the rest safe on Electrike. The frustrated seismitoad players would then Lysandre the Electrike out, and attempt to hit it with a LaserBank combo, only to realize that Electrike was impervious to lasers.

This isn't too unusual, but when M Gardevoir-EX was viable (or any Fairy Toolbox deck in general), Seismitoad Denial Decks were an astonishing part of the metagame. The Seismitoad players would destroy fairy Decks with their hammers, so some ingenious player decided to use Electrike (Omega Barrier) to set up all of their energy on. They would only move as much energy as they needed to hit KOs, and keep the rest safe on Electrike. The frustrated seismitoad players would then Lysandre the Electrike out, and attempt to hit it with a LaserBank combo, only to realize that Electrike was impervious to lasers.

It can't be affected with lysandre either :P Similar to what regirock promo with AT does :P

mine was like yours gonzo but with my mega mewtwo. it took my one dce and made it harder to ohko the poke infront of me. i got tired of it and used shaymin to finish off the last kill i needed since it had all my dces on it. lol.

one thing i love about shaymin is sky return lol. that move can be handy.

I guess Escape Rope still works on benched AT Barrier pokemon because its effect is on the ACTIVE Pokemon? Meaning, if the opponent had a Hawlucha active and a Primal Groudon on bench, Escape Rope would still work because its effect is on the Hawlucha?

That means if the Primal Groudon was active, Escape Rope shouldn't work? 

I want a rule check on this...

I guess Escape Rope still works on benched AT Barrier pokemon because its effect is on the ACTIVE Pokemon? Meaning, if the opponent had a Hawlucha active and a Primal Groudon on bench, Escape Rope would still work because its effect is on the Hawlucha?

That means if the Primal Groudon was active, Escape Rope shouldn't work? 

I want a rule check on this...

The ruling stated, that it won't work on AT Barrier. This was in a thread created long ago, when a person named it as bug, when the opponent didn't switch his P groudon to active position and remained at bench. Moderators replied, that at this time, when P groudon is on bench, escape rope works as no pokemon is on bench, since P groudon is protected by escape rope. I don't know if the ruling on that changed recently, but I am 100% percent sure there was a thread, because I commented on it. The conclusion was, P groudon shouldn't switch !

haha. that is a pretty awesome play and had you done that against me, I would have applauded you.

That is impressive thinking, Gonzo.

Hahaha thanks a lot guys xd I was really enjoying the game so I wanted to save it no matter what.

I don't know if this counts or not, but I tried to use escape rope as a switch, with the info that all on the opponent's bench was a primal groudon. I thought due to Primal Groudon's AT, I would be able to switch - and not P groudon. But, to my surprise, P groudon came to the active spot :wacko:

It wasn't as awesome and entertaining as Gonzo :( why do you have to be so good :(

Aw don't worry about it harshu, I liked your plays too :) It's definetly very interesting to have used tool retriever to discard TF gears. It basically worked as a Standard version of tool scrapper. 

I wonder about the ruling of the P Groudon too though. I know there was a thread a while back about it but I can't remember what the conclusion was.

That's actually really creative. I always used to think that the Omega Barrier pokemon (besides P Groudon) were too weak to be viable, but I would have never imagined that it could be effectively used as an energy safekeeper, and a laserbank inmune safekeeper at that.

Woah! ESCAPE ROPE WORKS ON PRIMAL GROUDON!?

can anyone spell "bug"?

OOOhh me me!

Lets see..   beee..... you..... jay....

Ah screw it, I'm going back to elementary school..

well I am So-Ry :P

OOOhh me me!

Lets see..   beee..... you..... jay....

Ah screw it, I'm going back to elementary school..

Sorry If I confused you, here's the answer I'm giving after looking at the official ruling.

Escape rope is nullified if Primal Groudon is active, so you can't use it "on" Primal Groudon. HOWEVER, if your opponent has a Pokemon without Barrier as their active Pokemon, and Primal Groudon is their only Benched Pokemon, primal Groudon could be switched in, as he is not technically the target.

Woah! ESCAPE ROPE WORKS ON PRIMAL GROUDON!?

Read my second post after that.

Sorry If I confused you, here's the answer I'm giving after looking at the official ruling.

Escape rope is nullified if Primal Groudon is active, so you can't use it "on" Primal Groudon. HOWEVER, if your opponent has a Pokemon without Barrier as their active Pokemon, and Primal Groudon is their only Benched Pokemon, primal Groudon could be switched in, as he is not technically the target.

What about the post below, that happened when Primal groudon was benched.

The ruling stated, that it won't work on AT Barrier. This was in a thread created long ago, when a person named it as bug, when the opponent didn't switch his P groudon to active position and remained at bench. Moderators replied, that at this time, when P groudon is on bench, escape rope works as no pokemon is on bench, since P groudon is protected by escape rope. I don't know if the ruling on that changed recently, but I am 100% percent sure there was a thread, because I commented on it. The conclusion was, P groudon shouldn't switch !

So did the ruling change ?

But well that shouldn't matter, new ruling says it can be switched if its the only AT Barrier Pokemon, so thanks for the information :)

i usually do that but with puzzle of time: use bc to discard, lets say, joltik+dce, dce+switch, then i recover them with ***, its awesome, or even use *** to get better chances to get some good with the unown ability

Awesome thanks man! SO escape rope kills wobbaffet groudon?

HOLD UP-WAIT A MINUTE!!! Escape rope works on a benched P Groudon!!!  O______________________________O

And yes I use tool retriever in my standard deck to get rid of hyper gears!! Funny to watch! ^___^ opponents no like!

HOLD UP-WAIT A MINUTE!!! Escape rope works on a benched P Groudon!!!  O______________________________O

And yes I use tool retriever in my standard deck to get rid of hyper gears!! Funny to watch! ^___^ opponents no like!

I knew you were evil :D

One time in a match I used Xerosic on the enemy Gengar's Spirit Link and replaced it with Head Ringer. Then next turn I used VS Seeker to retrieve the Xerosic and use it on his Toxicroak's FFB, which allowed my beefed-up Lucario to One-Shot it. 

Thankfully, the guy was a good sport about it.

One time in a match I used Xerosic on the enemy Gengar's Spirit Link and replaced it with Head Ringer. Then next turn I used VS Seeker to retrieve the Xerosic and use it on his Toxicroak's FFB, which allowed my beefed-up Lucario to One-Shot it. 

Thankfully, the guy was a good sport about it.

It's always nice when your opponent decides to be a good sport, stay in and let you finish even though they're legit salty xd I would have been super salty after that at least xd

Okay, I just had another one. This is another one that just felt mean....

Deoxys Overdrive Smash OHKO on 3 Machamp-EXes. Does that count? 

My opponent was using a Machamp-EX Ariados deck with Landorus support.

I was using a Mewtwo X deck but only started with Deoxys.

While he was setting up his Machamps and Ariados with his Landorus out front, I hit his Landorus with Overdrive Smash after playing Dimension Valley. Next turn his Machamp was set up after Shout of Power.

But I used Lysandre to draw out his Machamp and kill it in one hit with Overdrive Smash (which does 90 when used consecutively, and Machamp is weak to it). The lucky prizes I got for it were another Lysandre and a VS Seeker.

He put back Landorus and started setting up his other Machamps. But I used the other Lysandre, and then the VS Seeker, to take them both out to win in 2 more turns.

I got extremely lucky..

Archived