Espeon EX. The cure to BREAKS?

DotCopple44

Hi! Espeon EX may be a great key in fighting BREAK evolutions. Using its Miraculous Shine attack, for only one energy, you can de-evolve EVERY ONE OF YOUR OPPONENTS EVOLVED POKEMON! This card will be great against Trevenant and Greninja decks.

No. The cards go back into their hand, so they can just re-evolve them on the next turn. The only time it matters is if 1)  they already have damage on them and by de-evolving the damage is greater than the HP of the prior evolution, which causes a KO, or B) it's a Mega Evolution and the Spirit Link has been removed or a Stage 2 that used Rare Candy and thus can't re-evolve without another Rare Candy. 

It works against archies/maxies?

I don't think it can work. Since when maxie/archie pokemon are placed, they are the first pokemon in the line. They weren't brought in the game by evolving, so espeon EX won't work on this condition,

Does anyone have a definite answer for this?

Espeon-EX and all other effects that devolve your opponents Pokemon do not work on a Pokemon brought into play using Archie/Maxie, as said Pokemon are stage 2 Pokemon, but technically unevolved. There was an official ruling on this.

EDIT** Greninja'd Gonzo for once...

Does anyone have a definite answer for this?

Yes I do. The answer is no xd

You can't unevolve a pokemon that hasn't evolved. That's not based on the stage of the pokemon, it's based on the cards below it. If the first card placed down is a stage 2, then that's as low as it goes.

Like rgp mentioned, the only real use of Espeon EX's first attack is to mess up Megas without a spirit link and stage 2s that got there with a rare candy.

Besides that the only other use I can imagine would be in an Archeops/Pyroar deck as a tech in case your opponent manages to sneak in an evolution.

I think its useful for a Jolteon-EX / Vileplume deck in Standard. In Expanded you would use Archeops, but in Standard you can't, but you could still use Espeon to somewhat prevent evolving. Once the Spirit Links are gone they wouldn't be able to play another one with vileplume out.

I play a one of Espeon EX in a Malamar control deck. 

I have found you can delay Greyninja for a few turns with sometimes allowing you to setup an OHK on Greyninja BREAK.

I have also seen it significantly set back Typhlosion and Garchomp that have been candied.

I also run Xerosic for energy removal but it comes in handy to remove spirit links and send Megas back.

Lastly do not discount the second attack of Espeon, it's useful for taking out Regice etc.

Archived