Anti-Combos

GonzoMD1993

The title is a bit vauge, so let me elaborate on what I mean. I'm talking about interactions between your own cards that not only don't synergize, but they actually interfere with each other.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I just saw a guy on a tournament try to use Aqua Turbo from Palkia EX to power up his Safeguard Suicune. When the 2 energies he selected went straight to the discard pile I was really puzzled. But then I went over to read Safeguard's description and realized it said it blocked effects (as well as damage) from Pokemon EX in general, it didn't specify the opponent's Pokemon EX. So, what (probably) happened is that Suicune is "inmune" to Palkia EX's energy accelerating effect, and thus it instantly threw away the energies it recieved xd

Have you guys seen any other such anti-combos? I'm interested in knowing if there are any others that should be obvious or otherwise easy to make by accident.

I can't think of any right now except Primal Kyogre-EX/Suicune (similar combo), but while we're on the topic of Safeguard...

Idk how long you have been playing the game, but in 2005 *** Legend Maker IIRC), a Pokemon-ex was released with the Safeguard Poké-Power. (Safeguard was a thing from 2004-2007, and now it's making a comeback.

But if you think about it, having an ex with Safeguard is pretty cool (even though Dustox-ex (the ex that I'm referring to) kinda sucked.

Dustox-ex -- Stage 2 -- 140 HP

Evolves from Cascoon

[Poké-Power] Safeguard

Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to

Dustox-ex by your opponent's Pokémon-ex.

[G][C] Silver Wind: 40

During your next turn, if an attack does damage to the

Defending Pokemon (after applying Weakness and Resistance),

that attack does 30 more damage.

[G][C][C] Cutting Wind: 70

Weakness: R*2, P*2

Resistance: 0

Retreat Cost: 1

EX Legend Maker 86/92

I can't think of any right now except Primal Kyogre-EX/Suicune (similar combo), but while we're on the topic of Safeguard...

Idk how long you have been playing the game, but in 2005 *** Legend Maker IIRC), a Pokemon-ex was released with the Safeguard Poké-Power. (Safeguard was a thing from 2004-2007, and now it's making a comeback.

But if you think about it, having an ex with Safeguard is pretty cool (even though Dustox-ex (the ex that I'm referring to) kinda sucked.

Dustox-ex -- Stage 2 -- 140 HP

Evolves from Cascoon

[Poké-Power] Safeguard

Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to

Dustox-ex by your opponent's Pokémon-ex.

[G][C] Silver Wind: 40

During your next turn, if an attack does damage to the

Defending Pokemon (after applying Weakness and Resistance),

that attack does 30 more damage.

[G][C][C] Cutting Wind: 70

Weakness: R*2, P*2

Resistance: 0

Retreat Cost: 1

EX Legend Maker 86/92

That's actually pretty interesting. I'd be fun to have a Pokemon EX with safeguard in the current Era (without too much damage output and hp to make up for it of course).

I technically started playing during the year 2000, but there was like a 12 year haitus where I stopped playing xd I really got back into the PTCG last November when a friend of mine got me back into it. 

I tried to power up a safeguard Suicune with M Mane and it just didn't attach energies and my turn ended, and once I tried to Y Cyclone onto a safeguard Siglyph and it just discarded the energy! xd

I tried to power up a safeguard Suicune with M Mane and it just didn't attach energies and my turn ended, and once I tried to Y Cyclone onto a safeguard Siglyph and it just discarded the energy! xd

At least in your case the energies were already discarded :D

I won t try to charge suicune with Virizion-EX

How about Wobbuffet and Garbodor cutting off all abilities? It really hurts your own Shaymin-EX drawing cards or Pyroar/Beautifly/Suicune blocking EXs.

I was also thinking breakthrough Yveltal (Bacon Bird) messing with your spirit links.

Carbink XY10 is going to suck.

I know FUF is going to rotate out of standard soon, but safeguard sucks. . . fighting types will need a boost though. Expanded fighting (or japanese decks) will be ********** good though. At least it can be turned off, not like resistance blizzrd or flash ray.

Anti - combos as listed are mostly Safegaurd and wobbuffet/garboder. to add more.. Another interesting addition is archeops (Ancient power) when played with the famous --> pyroar/archeops deck. Ofcourse then you need to rely on evosodas and wallys, but it does hinder in setting up another pyroar.

Just an interesting fact :)

Was reading through another thread (read: learning math), and came across another "anti-combo".

Victini NVI (Victory Star) + Trick Coin.

Was reading through another thread (read: learning math), and came across another "anti-combo".

Victini NVI (Victory Star) + Trick Coin.

How do they interfere with each other ? I mean rule, makes one of them "unusable", but they don't hinder your game :o Do they ? (Anti - Combos : States by OP, hinder each other rather than helping)

Archived