Why is Cheren not accepted in Standard ********** is?

PrideSP

They do the exact same thing.

I don't know why the title is censored but I asked why is Tierno accepted when they do the exact same thing?

The name of the card is what matters, not what the card does. Cheren would be legal in Standard if there was a card named Cheren in a Standard legal set. As it is, there is no Cheren reprint, so Cheren is illegal in Standard.

I think one of the most frequent misconceptions some of the newer players have is that formats are based on balance reasons (they aren't; they have to do exclusively with card rotations). Therefore, even though Cheren and Tierno do the exact same thing, because Cheren is from an expansion that already rotated out of standard, it cannot be played in that format.

The one exception to this (leaving LTC/Shiftry aside) is card Reprints. These are cards that have not only the same effect but also the exact same name in a newer set. This is the reason that cards like HGSS Judge is legal in standard (there's an XY Judge) or why you can't use Juniper in standard even though it does the same thing as Sycamore. This concept also applies to Cheren and Tierno.

EDIT: I took out the Twins example, because in a moment of major derp I didn't realize it didn't work exactly as Teamates xd Thanks for the catch Saphire.

I agree with everything you said, but I feel like I should just point out you got one thing wrong.

and why HGSS Twins aren't even though the XY Era Teamates does the exact same thing.

Twins is based on your remaining prize cards and Teammates is based on if one of your Pokemon was KOed.

I agree with everything you said, but I feel like I should just point out you got one thing wrong.

Twins is based on your remaining prize cards and Teammates is based on if one of your Pokemon was KOed.

Derp. Thanks for the correction. When I get back home I'll change the example to something else (too hard to edit from my old android xd).

Archived