XY10: Awakening of the Psychic King and Additional Sets card analysis

ChawkyV

XY10: was revealed completely and god were we disapponted by the lack of FA SYCAMORE, why TPCi why ??? and with the presence of yet another SR EX, enough of that TCPi pease, no one likes those .... but we've got some nice surprises like the return or the Dewgong Line and Burmy line which were just delightful !

Here are some of the important cards from this set:

7-Serperior – Grass – HP140

Stage 2 – Evolves from Servine

[C] Coil: 40 damage. During your next turn, the damage from this Pokemon’s attacks do 60 more damage.

[G] Slash Down: 80 damage. This Pokemon can’t use Slash Down during your next turn.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Attacks that can't be used the next turn are always bad, but in Serperior's case it may not be as using Coil does 40 damage and lets your next Slash Down to 140 instead of 80 all for just 1 energy, pretty impressive imo even for a Stage 2

11-Delphox – Fire – HP140

Stage 2 – Evolves from Braixen

[R] Flickering Flame: 40 damage. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Asleep.

[C][C][C] Psycho Storm: 20x damage. This attack does 20 damage times the number of Energy attached to all Pokemon (both yours and your opponent’s).

Weakness: Water (x2)

Despite how good XY Delphox is, i don't think anyone will use it because the Break was made to be used with this Delphox, it can easily do crazy amounts of damage pretty fast, adding the 180HP of the Break it becomes a better Mewtwo-EX with only 1 prize taken when KOd, will become one of the most played Stage 2 i'm sure.

12-Delphox BREAK – Fire – HP180

BREAK Evolution – Evolves from Delphox

Delphox BREAK retains the attacks, Abilities, Weakness, Resistance, and Retreat Cost of its previous Evolution.

Ability: Flare Watch
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for a [R] Energy and attach it to 1 of your Pokemon. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Not the Best Break card but works really good with its stage 2 as it can speed up the attack Psycho Storm and adds 40 more HP making it EX level, it will however be very hard to bring out ... well maybe good ol' Rare Candy will help

17-Omastar BREAK – Water – HP140

BREAK Pokemon – Evolves from Omastar

Omastar BREAK retains the attacks, Abilities, Weakness, Resistance, and Retreat Cost of its previous Evolution.

Ability: Dangerous Tentacles
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may choose 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon-EX and switch it with his or her Active Pokemon.

Okay okay, i'm sure barely anyone would consider using Restored Pokemon, but with the combo of Omastar/Archie it might become easier, this Break is basically a Free Lysandre which can free you Lysandre spot, so quite useful when u finally get it out.

18-Glaceon-EX – Water – HP170

Basic Pokemon

[W][C] Second Bite: 20+ damage. This attack does 10 more damage for each damage counter on your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

[W][C][C] Crystal Ray: 70 damage. During your opponent’s next turn, prevent all damage done to this Pokemon by Evolved Pokemon.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Metal (x2)

One of the most awaited EXs from this set, will definitely see a lot of play in lock decks with Jolteon-EX and Regice despite Jolteon being more useful since more people use Basics than Evolutions.

21-Barbaracle – Water – HP100

Stage 1 – Evolves from Binacle

Ability: Hand Block
You can use this ability if you have a Stadium card in play.  As long as this Pokemon is in play, your opponent can’t attach any Special Energy cards from his or her hand.

[W][W][C] Claw Swipe: 70 damage.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Retreat: 3

A very interesting Ability indeed, since the Meta is swarming with Special energy this can be useful especially since it doesn't need to be active to activate its ability but with Puzzle of Time i don't see this getting much play.

23-Alakazam-EX – Psychic – HP160

Basic Pokemon

Ability: Spoon Bending
When this Pokemon evolves into M Alakazam EX, you may place 2 damage counters on your opponent’s Active Pokemon and 3 damage counters on 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon.

[P][C] Suppression: Place 3 damage counters on each of your opponent’s Pokemon that has any Energy attached to it.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance:

Ahhhhh, damage disribution !!! why are you so fun ? ... As a personal lover of Crobat this EX will be the perfect partner for it especially with Devolution Spray being reprinted .... enough said

PS: Great to see Alakazam again !

24-M Alakazam-EX – Psychic – HP210

Mega Evolution – Evolves from Alakazam-EX

When 1 of your Pokemon becomes a Mega Evolution, your turn ends.

[P][C] Zen Force: 10+ damage. This attack does 10 damage plus 30 more damage for each damage counter on your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

Resistance:
Retreat: 1

Well when you're done having your fun with bats and Alakazam-EX comes the Mega to tie up any loose ends.... the perfect deck imo !

27-Mew – Psychic – HP50

Basic Pokemon

Ability: Beginning Memories
This Pokemon can use the attacks of each of your Basic Pokemon in play. (You must still have the necessary Energy to use each attack.)

[C] Encounter: Search your deck for a Pokemon card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

Retreat: 0

One day, the TPCi developers were sitting around discussing the Meta

Dev 1: You know what really needs buffing ?

Dev 2: Yeah every other type but Fighting ....

Dev 1: naah think again

Dev 2: Breaks ?

Dev 1: lol nice one its not like they're lasting any longer, but seriously a little something called Night March !

Dev 2: wait isn't that the deck people hate the mos ....

Dev 1: I said NIGHT MARCH !

Dev 2: uh ok ....

Dev 1: and I know how, lets just re-release Mew-EX !

Dev 2: gotta make it different thou, let's make it a basic with less HP

Dev 1: great idea .. done

That's basically how the released this card ...

32-Reuniclus – Psychic – HP90

Stage 2 – Evolves from Duosion

[P][C] Link Fusion: 10+ damage. If there is a Solosis on your Bench, this attack does 30 more damage. If there is a Duosion on your Bench, this attack does 60 more damage. If there is a Reuniclus on your Bench, this attack does 90 more damage. (Yes, they stack – 190 damage.)

Retreat Cost: 1

First, idk why they always do this to Reuniclus, always 90 HP, come one Devs it's a stage 2 !!!

Still it can do a lot of damage when comboed with mew for example while having 1 of each benched , this deck can be a lot of fun !

39-Carbink – Fighting – HP80

Basic Pokemon

Ability: Energy Keeper
As long as this Pokemon is in play, your Basic Pokemon’s Basic Energy can’t be discarded by effects of your opponent’s attacks, Abilities, or Trainers.

[F][F][C] Stone Edge: 60+ damage.  Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 30 more damage.

Basically the bad Carbink of this set, still a pretty interesting ability that can help out EXs a LOT !

42-Umbreon-EX – Darkness – HP170

Basic Pokemon

[C] Night Veil: 20 damage. Discard any number of cards from your hand. Then, draw an equal number of cards from your deck.

[D][C][C] End Game: 70 damage. If damage from this attack Knocks Out your opponent’s Active Mega Evolution Pokemon, take 2 additional Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)

Ah, the first card revealed from this set, End Game sounds very interesting, it will hard to pull off but since Megas are used a lot more lately it an prove to be helpful in .... well Ending the game ! Night Veil isn't bad either as a Draw motor, IMO we will be seeing some Giratina/Umbreon Anti-Mega decks !

43-Tyranitar – Darkness – HP160

Stage 2 – Evolves from Poopootar

Ability: Roar of Anger
You may use this Ability when you play this card from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokemon. Attach as many [D] Energy cards from your discard pile to this Pokemon as Prize cards your opponent has taken.

[D][D][D][D][D] Dark Mountain: 150+ damage. Discard the top 2 cards of your deck. This attack does 50 more damage for each Supporter card discarded in this way.

Retreat: 4

I know ... this cad sounds terrible on paper (Okay it might be, i'm biased because Tyranitar is my fav pokemon)... BUT it can be good if used correctly, First you'll need a LOT of basic Dark energy and then Battle Compressors, Rare Candies and Gallade ... sounds like too much honestly .... but it won't stop ME from trying it !

49-Bronzong BREAK – Metal – HP130

BREAK Pokemon – Evolves from Bronzong

BREAK Evolution: This Pokemon has the attacks, Abilities, Weakness, Resistance, and Retreat Cost of the Bronzong it Break Evolved from.

[M][C] Gold Rain: Discard as many Metal Energy attached to this Pokemon as you like. For each Energy discard in this way, choose the same number of your opponent’s Pokemon (you may choose the same Pokemon twice). This attack does 30 damage to each of those Pokemon for each time you chose them. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance.)

Made for Phf Bronzong !! it might be slow but is very interesting nonetheless, but i doubt it'll see much play ..

50-Lucario – Metal – HP110

Stage 1 – Evolves from Riolu

[M] Vacuum Wave: 50 damage. This attack’s damage isn’t affected by Weakness or Resistance.

[M][C] Fight Alone: 30+ damage. If you have less Pokemon in play than your opponent, this attack does 60 more damage times the difference in the number of Pokemon you and your opponent have. 

Ah, where do i start .... This card is hands down the Rare from this set, Vacuum Wave does 50 damage for 1 energy, if that isn't good, then Fight Alone (a very original attack btw) can do up to 330 dmg (480 with Skyfield) ... for 2 energies ...Let that Sink In, but obviously it's too risky letting Lucario Fight alone despite the help Shield Energies and Charms will do .... it's still risky.

51-Genesect-EX – Metal – HP180

Basic Pokemon

Ability: Cassette Change
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may return a Pokemon Tool attached to this Pokemon to your hand.

[M][M][M] Rapid Blaster: 100+ damage. You may discard as many [M] Energy from this Pokemon as you like. This attack does 20 more damage for each [M] Energy discarded in this way.

Well if only it had a Mega, that ability would be so helpful !

It's still useable with PHF Bronzong though ! Good ? no

54-M Altaria-EX – Fairy – HP220

Mega Evolution – Evolves from Altaria-EX

When 1 of your Pokemon becomes a Mega Evolution Pokemon, your turn ends.

[Y][C][C] Mist Purge: 100+ damage. If this Pokemon has any Special Energy attached to it, this attack does 30 more damage and heal 30 damage from each of your Pokemon.

Weakness: Metal (x2)
Resistance: Darkness (-20)

A mediocre Mega, still we can see that Fairy are Starting to get more Support (Fairy Drop) it might see some use since it can KO anything in 2 shots while Healing.

55-Kingdra-EX – Dragon – HP170

Basic Pokemon

[C] Heavy Storm: 20 damage. Discard any Stadium card in play.

[W][C][C][C] Dragon Trail: 60+ damage. This attack does 30 more damage for each basic Lightning Energy attached to this Pokemon.

Weakness: Fairy (x2)

Ahhhh, a better Rayquaza-EX ! will see a LOT of use with Expanded Eelektriks, i just Know it ! since it doesn't discard energies it can just stack them for more and more damage each turn !

56-Aerodactyl – Colorless – HP120

Restored Pokemon – Put this card onto your Bench only with the effect of Old Amber

[C] Bite: 30 damage.

[C][C] Jet Draft: 120 damage. Discard a Special Energy attached to your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 0

If ONLY, this was a Fighting type .... for 2 energy it does 120 damage and discards a Special energy and has no Retreat cost .... what else can you ask for ? ..... oh right, being Fighting and a Basic instead of restored ..... well might still see some play

66-Fossil Excavation Kit – Trainer

Item

Search your deck for up to 2 of Old Amber Aerodactyl, Helix Fossil Omanyte, or Dome Fossil Kabuto and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

The same mistake they did with Fossil Researcher ... Why do they insist on Limiting our choices ? if it was "Search your deck for any Fossil Summoning card" it would've been a lot better , But NOOOOO just those 3 .... ugh

67-Devolution Spray – Trainer

Item

Devolve 1 of your evolved Pokemon and put the highest stage Evolution card on it into your hand. (That Pokemon can’t evolve this turn.)

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

A reprint of an old card, always great to see it will help out a lot in Crobat / Alakazam decks !

76-N – Trainer

Supporter

Each player shuffles his or her hand into his or her deck. Then, each player draws a card for each of his or her remaining Prize cards.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

The Nightmare ..... is back ....

77 & 87-Team Rocket’s Handiwork – Trainer

Supporter

Flip 2 coins. For each heads, discard 2 cards from the top of your opponent’s deck.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Can be helpful in Mill decks (all those Mill decks are everywhere, aren't they ? jk) but at the end of the day it's a Coin Flip card ! NO ONE likes those, it will just fade into oblivion as a waste of a FA Supporter ...

???-Meowth – Colorless – HP70

Basic Pokemon

[C][C] Turmoil: Choose 1 of your opponent’s Pokemon that has any damage counter on it. This attack does 50 damage to that Pokemon. (Don’t apply weakness and resistance for Benched Pokemon.)

A Meowth, Hawlucha and Pikachu in every set has become as normal as breathing and they were all Horrible ... BUT finally we got a Meowth that's actually useable !! Bench attacking is always helpful, for a DC you can snipe a basic or damaged EX for a potential win ! I can't believe i'm saying this but Meowth might see some use !

???-M Audino EX – Colorless – HP220

Mega Evolution – Evolves from Audino-EX

When 1 of your Pokemon becomes a Mega Evolution Pokemon, your turn ends.

[C][C][C] Magical Symphony: 110 damage. If you played a Supporter card from your hand this turn, this attack does 50 damage to 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance when damaging the Bench.)

This is actually ... not bad, a decent damage and bench sniping is always a great combination ASSUMING it will have a Spirit Link !

???-Regirock-EX – Fighting – HP180

Basic Pokemon

Ability: Regi Power
Each of your [F] Pokemon does 10 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokemon. (Excluding Regirock-EX.)

[F][F][F] Bedrock Press: 100 damage. During your opponent next turn, any damage done to this Pokemon by attacks is reduced by 20.

Weakness: Water? (x2)

Can someone tell me which type needs Support ? not Fairy, not Fire, not Metal, not Dragon BUT FIGHTING obviously .... i'm seriously sick of Fighting hogging all the Support, come on TPCi give the other types some love ! anyways This will obviously be a staple in every Fighting Deck ... it can be a huge help especially for Mienshao decks !

???-Carbink BREAK – Fighting – HP110

BREAK Pokemon – Evolves from Carbink

BREAK Evolution: This Pokemon has the attacks, Abilities, Weakness, Resistance, and Retreat Cost of the Carbink it Break Evolved from.

[F] Diamond Gift: 20 damage. Attach 2 Energy cards from your discard pile to 1 of your Benched [F] Pokemon.

Without forgetting the 2nd awesome basic Carbink that has Safeguard, this particular Break might be the most used Break of them all, extremely helpful in literally ANY DECK, having Safeguard and attaching 2 of any basic or special energy is if nothing too OP imo, Will not only see a ridiculous amount of play but it will be a staple in EVERY deck.

???-Zygarde-EX – Fighting – HP190

Basic Pokemon

[F] Earth Pulse: 20 damage. This attack does 20 more damage if there’s a Stadium card in play.

[F][C] Cell Storm: 60 damage. Heal 30 damage from this Pokemon.

[F][F][C] Ground Force: 100 damage.

Retreat: ?

A new and improved model of Lucario-EX with more HP and a G Booster of its own, the Meta will obviously be swarming with ZyBink decks now (patented name), I feel bad it's not getting an FA.

???-Power Memory – Trainer

Item

Pokemon Tool: Attach a Pokemon Tool to 1 of your Pokemon that doesn’t already have a Pokemon Tool attached to it.

The Zygarde-EX this card is attached to can also use the attack on this card. (You still need the necessary Energy to use this attack.)

[F][F][C] All Cell Burn: 200 damage. Discard 3 Energy attached to this Pokemon.

The aforementioned G Booster for Zygarde-EX, though it discards more and still doesn't affect Safeguarders and such, but it's still good and we always have Carbink Break for retrieving the energies. Even though with Strong energy and Regirock-EX and Stadium i doubt we'll need to use this attack.

What do you guys think of this Set ? and what are you favourite cards ?

I'm surprised you didn't mention Servine. Evolve it from Snivy and flip a coin to paralyze? With cards like Forest of Giant Plants and Devolution Spray, that Ability can be pretty easily spammed, and very annoying at that. I don't know if it'll actually see play, but it's there.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Servine. Evolve it from Snivy and flip a coin to paralyze? With cards like Forest of Giant Plants and Devolution Spray, that Ability can be pretty easily spammed, and very annoying at that. I don't know if it'll actually see play, but it's there.

I suppose, comboing that with the extremely LOW COST Serperior and with a little help from Forest it might actually be fun !

But am I the only one who finds it weird that Servine only has 70 HP when Snivy has 60 ? i believe this has never happened before !

But am I the only one who finds it weird that Servine only has 70 HP when Snivy has 60 ? i believe this has never happened before !

Well, some Froakie cards have 60 HP, and the new Frogadier (the one with the amazing Water Duplicates attack) has 70 HP. There's that.

Well, some Froakie cards have 60 HP, and the new Frogadier (the one with the amazing Water Duplicates attack) has 70 HP. There's that.

That's normal yes, but not from the same set, that has never happened !!!!

There are even some basics that have more HP than their Stage 1 from different sets !

Archived